3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Shops that tint entire rear quarter window? (MD/DC/VA Area)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so now I have a bit of a problem depending on how you look at it. In DC, the minimum is 50%. That sounds like it may be too light. Now I don't know what to do. I had my mind set at 35% (although I was a bit worried about traveling at nights espiecally in the rain).

Anasi and Dark, your cars look great!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
OK, so now I have a bit of a problem depending on how you look at it. In DC, the minimum is 50%. That sounds like it may be too light. Now I don't know what to do. I had my mind set at 35% (although I was a bit worried about traveling at nights espiecally in the rain).

Hmmm, kinda crazy but a few DC guys have come by our shop and asked us to remove the tint, and after they get it inspected, they come back and we retint it. It's a pricey route but you could consider doing that and get the 35% that you really want.

Isn't inspection for DC every 2 years? Also, I know VA is 50% for the front, but I'm very sure DC is 70% --- which really translates to "whats the point %"

http://www.solargard.com/Assets/PDFs...nting_Laws.pdf
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Trini! Wow That's like what's the point? Our cars come factory with 50%!! According to what klassic says, that would mean that you are already too dark! But factory doesn't count so don't worry about that if it is. In DC, I guess that does revolve around dodging the inspection every two years, and never being in the wrong place at the wrong time. No way everybody rides with 35% in DC, in fact, I know two people that don't! But they run the risk! Some places give you a discount if you get caught on stripping it (that usually runs about $99), but I don't know about putting it back on.

This place right here in Rockville (Hot Tint - 301-740-2537) they did my WDP 03 TL-S. They did a good enough job, but left dirty fingerprints on my rear deck (camel interior) !! So, I don't give them out for recommendations. But, they offer tint insurance: For $50, they will only charge you $___ to strip, and $___ to put it back on. This was about a 1 1/2 ago so I don't remember prices. Call them and ask them. There are other places that offer something as well. Hey, even check the guy I told you about at first! Also, check Klassic since he is offering his services in this thread. LOL!

Good luck Trini!

That sucks big time!!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
Also, check Klassic since he is offering his services in this thread. LOL!
Don't be alarmed guys, my clumsy ass takes no part in any of the tinting work

Now, if you need a CarPC, then thats a different story
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Anansi
I'm happy with the work that Winners did on mine last week. Darksom1, you da man for hookin us up with the contact and the price . I owe you a drink if we ever hook up!

This is what my baby (she still needs a name) looked like after the tint and some H20.

Anasi - How did they do your rear window? Did they remove the light and tint the whole window, or did they cut out or tint around your light? If possible post a pic.

Thanks Bro
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the rear window, they removed the 3rd light, put the tint on the window, and then put the light back on. So to answer your question, yes, the light is behind the tint. But since I only got 35% on the rear it's still pretty visible. It's dark now, so a pic wouldn't be much help, but I'll grab one during the day and post it up.

Unless Mr. Darksom1 has one he can throw up already.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

For the rear window, they removed the 3rd light, put the tint on the window, and then put the light back on. So to answer your question, yes, the light is behind the tint. But since I only got 35% on the rear it's still pretty visible. It's dark now, so a pic wouldn't be much help, but I'll grab one during the day and post it up.

Unless Mr. Darksom1 has one he can throw up already.
How about 2? In both these pics you can see the rear brake light is covered. But you can see the light clearly. In the daytime pic, you can see it in more detail. Looks a little different in person, as your EYE is more detailed, but you can get the point with these. One of the things I liked the most about Winners, was that they gave me absolutely NO bubbles to be worked out! I was impressed day one!!

Daytime

Nighttime (tho with a bright light on it)
Old 08-17-2007, 11:56 AM
4th Gear

I see that you did not get the the moleskin. Have you since gotten moleskin? Any scratches?
looking to get my windows tinted but have seen some people say you MUST get moleskin...and then I have seen others pics of moleskin coming off.

Thanks
Bert
Old 08-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got mine done in beLTsvilee $180. they do really a good job. that guy is 19 years in busines. if you want , pm me i will give his phone #. his address is 9600 baltimore ave, beltsvilee.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bertcord
I see that you did not get the the moleskin. Have you since gotten moleskin? Any scratches?
looking to get my windows tinted but have seen some people say you MUST get moleskin...and then I have seen others pics of moleskin coming off.

Thanks
Bert

Bert,

I got mine done last May at the same place as Darksom1. I didn't do the moleskin initially and hoped for the best....I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone else. My moleskin came in earlier this week and I'll be putting it on over the weekend (if all goes as planned). I've got a couple of scratches and want to catch it before any more show up.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
cmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About to get my 07 tinted -- 50/35 which is the limit here. What problems are some having with the 1/4 window? Glad I read this post. I figured all shops remove the 3rd brake light. I would think it would be hard to get a clean factory look if the light was cut around instead.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Racer

Any folks from Columbia MD- Baltimore area on here that had their TLs tinted, want to know their xperiences. Rockville is too far from me, I am looking for a shop in Columbia MD area ideally that has a computer cut tint and sells insurance

IMHO do 20% or dont tint at all..get it done with $50 insurance, well worth it. $300-350 for a tint job is way overpriced
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmd
About to get my 07 tinted -- 50/35 which is the limit here. What problems are some having with the 1/4 window? Glad I read this post. I figured all shops remove the 3rd brake light. I would think it would be hard to get a clean factory look if the light was cut around instead.

If the tint isn't done right (they need to go under the rubber surrounding the 1/4 window) it will come out like this:

[I M G]http://img232.echo.cx/img232/7043/dsc001772vg.jpg[/ I M G]
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Instructor

I didn't place the image correctly, this is the one I was trying to post.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 PM
B A N N E D

Kostya, i agree with you anything over $200 for tint is a rip off, i had 4 cars already all tinted and paid from 140-185, now iam looking to tint my TL, i know a guy name jim on route 40 hes amazing he does it for $160 , so imma give him a call. Kostya thats the guy that tinted igors maxima/G35 and now the TL-S.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Bert,

I got mine done last May at the same place as Darksom1. I didn't do the moleskin initially and hoped for the best....I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone else. My moleskin came in earlier this week and I'll be putting it on over the weekend (if all goes as planned). I've got a couple of scratches and want to catch it before any more show up.
Got mine done at winners last week, looks like I need to get the moleskin...
Old 08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex911
Kostya, i agree with you anything over $200 for tint is a rip off, i had 4 cars already all tinted and paid from 140-185, now iam looking to tint my TL, i know a guy name jim on route 40 hes amazing he does it for $160 , so imma give him a call. Kostya thats the guy that tinted igors maxima/G35 and now the TL-S.
really, what tint does he use? also, does his come with a warranty?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Racer

Shop # (301) 982-2110
Fax# (301) 982-3033

This is the best place to go. tell him Vince with white TL refer.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Enjoying my TL-S

I don't understand why tinting this window is such a big deal. On my (pending-X-)wifes VW, they had no problem tinting that little one.

Why so difficult on the TL?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by awilson529
I don't understand why tinting this window is such a big deal. On my (pending-X-)wifes VW, they had no problem tinting that little one.

Why so difficult on the TL?
I think the issue is that it's not that it's all that difficult. It's just that some people have experienced places that don't do the full window, and they are passing on their experience so that the rest of us don't get burnt. After I read this thread, I knew which questions to ask and Winners in Rockville did a great job on mine.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

So I finally got my windows tinted...35% all around. Since I'm in DC, I went and got my car inspected and had Winners in Rockville, MD tint the windows....they did a good job (Lawrence). The removed the third brake light, tinted the entire rear 1/4 window and everything...very pleased. I'll take picture soon and post them.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Enjoying my TL-S

I think the issue is that it's not that it's all that difficult. It's just that some people have experienced places that don't do the full window, and they are passing on their experience so that the rest of us don't get burnt. After I read this thread, I knew which questions to ask and Winners in Rockville did a great job on mine.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

So I finally got my windows tinted...35% all around. Since I'm in DC, I went and got my car inspected and had Winners in Rockville, MD tint the windows....they did a good job (Lawrence). The removed the third brake light, tinted the entire rear 1/4 window and everything...very pleased. I'll take picture soon and post them.
Way to go Trini!!! Did ya let 'em know I was putting in work for them on the forum? Hahahahaha!

BTW - I didn't get moleskin, and my windows are great! You must be careful, with or without moleskin, to keep the windows free of debris that will get down in there and scratch the window! I have NEVER used moleskin, and my windows have always looked like a champ! Stella will be no exception, and you guys know how I pamper her!

Stay up!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Alex911

I know Jim and he had tinted my Maxima, too but it has been in like 2003 and I dont have his number anymore. Also, he does not have a computer cut the tint, and he used shiety films, + no warranty. This time around, I want me a metallic 20% with wtty to go with my car.

btw what percentage did Igor go with and what kind of film...
Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Racer

i have to redo my TINT cuz i did put moleskin. then again, i try the back window roll down 1 time w/o moleskin then there is scratch. Dude, moleskin is a must for all 3rd TL. only $30 why it is so hard ?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

Bert,

Thanks, I just get worried about the moleskin as well...for example check this out

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=20

hum...scratches or glue......

also if its so easy to put on you figure all the tint places would offer the service. I just worry they dont want to mess with it since there are too many issues with it.

Where did you get your moleskin?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks, I just get worried about the moleskin as well...for example check this out

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=20

hum...scratches or glue......

also if its so easy to put on you figure all the tint places would offer the service. I just worry they dont want to mess with it since there are too many issues with it.

Where did you get your moleskin?

I took Darksom1's recommendation and went to Winners in Rockville. Lawrence took good care of me and my ride. Whoops, I just realized that you asked about the moleskin. I got the moneskin from tintprotector.com, one of the AZ vendors.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

I haven't got any scratches on mine yet, had my tint on for about little over 2 months now and i don't have moleskin. the guy at the shop assured me that it won't scratch and it under lifetime warranty if it does. i did get the 3M non fade tint, i'm pretty pleased with it.

oh yeah, and he did get all of the 1/4 window, he just pulled it apart. no cutting or removing.

the shop was in baltimore md called rent n roll on baltimore national pike. let me know if you guys need more info.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Racer

Guys,

Just dropping a quick note to add my tint shop to the list of folks that fully cover the rear quarter windows.

I've actually just posted a group deal under the Black Market if any locals would like to check it out - sample pics are included.

Details can be found here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/window-tinting-clearshield-group-rate-dc-md-va-driven-dynamics-372723/

Thanks!
Collin
info@drivendynamics.com
http://www.drivendynamics.com
Old 08-26-2007, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by theklassic
Guys,

Just dropping a quick note to add my tint shop to the list of folks that fully cover the rear quarter windows.

I've actually just posted a group deal under the Black Market if any locals would like to check it out - sample pics are included.

Details can be found here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372723

Thanks!
Collin
info@drivendynamics.com
http://www.drivendynamics.com
I am def interested in getting my new TL tinted.

Do you guys install the moleskin?

Bert
Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Racer

I am def interested in getting my new TL tinted.

Do you guys install the moleskin?

Bert

Hey Bert,

We don't remove the door panels so we don't offer the mole skin install. This is something you can choose to do at anytime after though. I don't have it on my TL since I really can't decide on it.

I've read some good things and some bad things (glue and streaking). I might pick up a set when I have some free time to review it.

Collin
Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

You don't need moleskin! I don't have it and there are no scratches. Just take care of your ride and keep the windows clean and you will be ok!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Holy old thread revival, Batman! I am at winners get my car tinted right now. Hope they are as good as they were a few years ago. 35 all around, ceramic. Sweet!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Holy Thread Revival Part Duex!

How did your tint job come out? Thinking about heading over the Winners in a few days!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 AM
2nd Gear

theres a place in hagerstown md. called the Lil Tint Shop and they will do it for you no problem. 3017144976.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 AM
2nd Gear

go to Lil Tint Shop in Hagerstown md. they will tint the whole quarter window for you
Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most states have notorious tint laws. 50% is not even worth getting tints and some states are 70% (what a joke). I would say 30% minimum (I have 30%). Been driving with tints for the past 2 years now, never had any problems with the cops. Although I was pulled over once, it was for illegal radar detector. Make sure to roll down your windows to make the cops feel safe and you should be good to go. Also keeps the car cool in the summer and protected at night (because crooks can't see in it).

My next car is going for either 15 or 20% tint so I recommend that to anyone thinking about getting tints.