3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Rear Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Update - I made my appointment and my rear window was re-tinted the other day. While re-visiting this thread, I realized that my third brake light area was not tinted originally either. Instantly this bothered me, so I made sure to mention that I wanted this section tinted as well. That was taken care of with no issues.

For the rear door windows, the owner/installer kept trying to tell me that he couldn't get that 1/4'' section because of the rubber strip. His speech seemed almost rehearsed when I brought this up. Interestingly enough, I looked online at his reviews and a few pictures were posted. I saw that several BMWs he worked on had that 1/4'' strip gap as well. I wonder if most people don't really care about that section?

Regardless, I mentioned to him that MANY 3g TL owners have had that section tinted without any real issues. I found various pictures online and showed them to him on my phone. He was very attentive and made sure my concerns were heard. After showing him a few pictures, he was surprised and said he could attempt it, but I'd have to make a second appointment (due to time constraints that day). Re-tinting these two windows will cost me about $40, which I'm okay with, because originally in 2015 he DID tell me what he was going to do and I said it was okay. Therefore, this wouldn't be any kind of warranty work.

When we were looking at the rubber strip, we noticed there was a small ridge on the strip that he said he might be able to cut to give him more room. I'll try to take a few pictures tonight, but I'm wondering if anyone has any sort of tips/tricks they've heard of over the years to help make this go smoothly. This guy is very experienced and has been tinting for 20 years and vinyl wrapping for over 10. He's probably the highest rated shop on the West side of Michigan, so I'm hopeful it will turn out okay.

I'm sure I'm being a huge pain for him because a lot of times, he works on high end sports cars and not measly 2005 Acura TLs lol. Oh well, I guess I'm still a paying customer, so I don't feel THAT bad.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
When we were looking at the rubber strip, we noticed there was a small ridge on the strip that he said he might be able to cut to give him more room.
My tint guy had no problem pushing tint under the rubber seal on those back windows. Any good tint shop can do the same. No cutting is necessary, if he wants to cut the strip then I would find a better tint person as this guy doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Lol my tin guy did the same thing, recently I had the TL re-tint to Ceramic, and the small rear window is covered 100%. Before it has that 1/4 in strip un-tinted upon asking him why it the case?

his reply was depend on what software they are using to pre-cut the film, the older one did not cover the entire window and the newer one did.