Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Rear Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tint Rear Side Windows

Anybody have a close up shot of a 2005 TL with the small rear side windw after being tinted?

I just got mine tunted and it looks like there is a 1/4 border around the small window that wasn't tinted.

Just wondering if this is normal.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
There have been users with and without the strip. It's hard to do, but they should've tinted the entire window. Make them redo it.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:12 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I have that strip as well. I assumed it was because the window would have to be removed in order to get undernearth the window seal. Is this correct?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
6MT & LSD

no, mine's in all the way. go back and ask them to do it over... they shouldn't charge you extra after seeing how ugly it is.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

yes it should be done w/out the 1/4 inch strip. and i don't think the window has to be removed to do it. i remember someone saying there tint shop slid the tint under that piece that causes some people to have that gap. i have the same gap, and if i could only find time to get to them to redo it. a little lazy on my part also.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

NDX2 Can I get a closeip picture of your side rear windows as proof it can be done in case the tint shop gives me a hard time?
Intermediate

NDX2 Can I get a closup picture of your side rear windows as proof it can be done in case the tint shop gives me a hard time?
Banned

Originally Posted by SpiderWayne
Anybody have a close up shot of a 2005 TL with the small rear side windw after being tinted?

I just got mine tunted and it looks like there is a 1/4 border around the small window that wasn't tinted.

Just wondering if this is normal.

Here is a pic.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

This how is should be done.

Check This Thread Here
Old 05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tjker
yes it should be done w/out the 1/4 inch strip. and i don't think the window has to be removed to do it. i remember someone saying there tint shop slid the tint under that piece that causes some people to have that gap. i have the same gap, and if i could only find time to get to them to redo it. a little lazy on my part also.
tjker, I remember your thread. Oh, I thought you had successfully asked the shop to replace them already.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:28 PM
One on the right for me

ok im gonna go back and have them redo it, it looks 1000x better with it fully done. thanks for the link to the pics.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
6MT & LSD

sorry, i just saw your post, spiderwayne. do you still want me to post a close up or are you set?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

No it's ok. I saw a lot of people have the rear quarter fully tinted. I called the guy that did mine and he refuses to redo it. He said that he has done a lot and nobody complained. He also said that he would have to remove the window to do the job and that would void any warranties should I need any warranty work done on the rear doors. I said I don't care about that and he said he wouldn't do it.

I guess I got screwed. I will have to find sombody else in the Bay Area to redo the rear 1/4 windows

Anybody know a good tinter in the Bay Area?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM
6MT & LSD

jeez, what a bastard. there's absolutely no need to remove the window. all he needs to do is push the film in.

well, at least it won't cost you terribly a lot to get the 1/4 windows redone. hope it works out well.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Banned

No it's ok. I saw a lot of people have the rear quarter fully tinted. I called the guy that did mine and he refuses to redo it. He said that he has done a lot and nobody complained. He also said that he would have to remove the window to do the job and that would void any warranties should I need any warranty work done on the rear doors. I said I don't care about that and he said he wouldn't do it.

I guess I got screwed. I will have to find sombody else in the Bay Area to redo the rear 1/4 windows

Anybody know a good tinter in the Bay Area?

If you used your CC: Call him back and tell him you are going to dispute the charge with your bank, this will usually get someones attention that you are not f'ing around. don't settle for less, he didn't do it correct, and you called him on it. if he doesn't care then dispute the charge, and prepare your reasoning as stated above for disputing the charge. in my experience with disputing a charge, your bank will usually have your side if you have a legitimate claim.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
A good installer does the whole thing. I don't have any gap.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

I complained to Formula One the maker of the tint. They contacted the store. The store call me and we argued, the store called me back and said they are doing another TL right now and the rubber seems soft enough to do so I should bring it back. WOO HOO looks like they will be fixing it after all.

We'll see Monday when I take it back.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, I don't think your installer had done a lot of TL's. That quarter inch strip looks like crap. On previous threads and posts, the installers did the right thing by covering the entire area of the quarter window. They should be able to lift the seal/molding and use a lot of lube to slide the film in. Some of the installers will take the window out (couple of screws) so that it will go edge to edge. I don't think taking out the rear quarter window will void the warranty anyway.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM
One on the right for me

i dont know anything about tint so when i had mine done i assumed that strip was part of the new TL's design. after reading about all the people that had it done right i guess i should have done a little bit more research into a good install place. im going to go back to the place and see if they cant do anything about it since everyone else with window tint on this forum has it done right. thanks for the input
Old 05-14-2005, 07:45 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I complained to Formula One the maker of the tint. They contacted the store. The store call me and we argued, the store called me back and said they are doing another TL right now and the rubber seems soft enough to do so I should bring it back. WOO HOO looks like they will be fixing it after all.

We'll see Monday when I take it back.
be careful about taking your car back to a place where you argued with em.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:21 PM
2005 ACURA TL

this is marco with steves tinting. Tinters that cant install the tint all the way up to the seal with no gap are a bunch of rookies. Unbeliveable guys. You paid alot for a good tint job not GAPS and BORDERS
Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm Baaack!

I complained to Formula One the maker of the tint. They contacted the store.
Was Formula One any help? I have F1 as well, and with the same gap. I asked my tint guy a couple of times and he said

a) He won't because the computer plotter cuts it at that size. (Which I believe but told him to cut it by hand.)
b) That he wouldn't be able to get in under the weather strip.

My prob is he's the only F1 dealer in like 40 miles. I would love to get the quarters re-done but can't find anyone to do it and I'd be worried about a tint mismatch if I used another brand.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

WOW. I can't complain cuz in NJ they don't like the tint (and, I don't have the guts to do it anyway), but that does look like crap with the gap. Good luck getting it redone - ya wonder how these saps stay in business.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone have a referral to a Huper Optik installer in Los Angeles???
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM
2005 ACURA TL

mayflower man. HUPER OPTIK is not made for automotive film. www.stevestinting.com
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by tjker

Do not forget rear too.

Top stop light isn't tinted too?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

The job was redone on the rear 1/4 panel windows and he did the whole windows(s). He claimed that the 05 TLs have softer rubber around the windows and he didn't know it until I complained and he checked on a nother TL that came in after mine....BS I know but I am just glad its done correctly now.

Formula One called the dealer but that actually did no go because all they wanted to do was the same job over. I had to really argue with them so tey would question their own work.

Good luck to everybody that crappy rear 1/4 windows...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT TO GET IT RIGHT!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVESTINT
mayflower man. HUPER OPTIK is not made for automotive film. www.stevestinting.com
Steve,

No disrespect but the first rule of sales: Know your competition.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm

Am I missing something? or is there a technicality between their residential film and their automotive product?

In my research, most "high-end" auto forums ( BMW, Lamborghini, Maserati etc.) recommend Huper Optik rather than Formula One Pinnacle.

But I'm open to additional information.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Rear Windsheild Tint

Not wanting to change the subject, but has anyone addressed or is concerned about tinting the back glass with all the radio antenna strips on it.?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Shaggy
Not wanting to change the subject, but has anyone addressed or is concerned about tinting the back glass with all the radio antenna strips on it.?
Not sure what the question is??

Mine are tinted and work perfectly. You are putting the tint inside the glass, so the only interference would be with things on the back shelf not on the window(i.e. AM and Nav)

Besides, aren't all those "strips" the rear defroster????
Old 05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, let's assume Shaggy was just pulling our legs....

I have a question...when you go to get tinted, do they remove all the stickers on the side windows - the Acura TLC and some other ones that are there - or do they plaster right over them?
Just curious.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TBone2004
when you go to get tinted, do they remove all the stickers on the side windows - the Acura TLC and some other ones that are there - or do they plaster right over them?
Just curious.
i asked our installer to take the stickers off just in case. if he had any sense at all he would have taken them off regardless. i didn't want to chance it.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Luv my TL

I have a question...when you go to get tinted, do they remove all the stickers on the side windows - the Acura TLC and some other ones that are there - or do they plaster right over them?
Just curious.
i think so. when i got my car tinted at stevestint, they removed the stickers on the front side windows. for me, i don't mind since the stickers are bad anyways!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb A good idea!

Tint King removed all my stickers. They told me before hand that they would.

I think all good tint shops will.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:11 AM
2005 ACURA TL

Originally Posted by mayflowerman
Steve,

No disrespect but the first rule of sales: Know your competition.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm

Am I missing something? or is there a technicality between their residential film and their automotive product?

In my research, most "high-end" auto forums ( BMW, Lamborghini, Maserati etc.) recommend Huper Optik rather than Formula One Pinnacle.

But I'm open to additional information.
Mr. mayflower man. I have personally tried to use HUPER OPTIK and it is very hard to heat shrink the windows. It is possible but it leaves a distortion on all of the windows. I have been tinting since 1984 I think I know my business. But come down and see how we do it.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Advanced

heat shrink the WINDOW, not the film?! WOW. haha, i'm just messing with you...

i'm getting my windows tinted tomorrow with 3M CS w/felt. I'm going to go over everything that was discussed here with the installer.

- go all the way on 1/4 panel windows
- don't forget the real window stop light
- remove stickers

i hope this installer is good.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Wondering why you would want to tint the high center stop light? There is a grid of black dots around it and the tint doesn't stick well to those. Most tinters do not tint the brake light. Mine isn't and you can't see it, especially from the inside because of the housing for the light.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Cool Not pulling your legs

Just curious.
I cut & paste the following from the specs. Note no.4 on the list. Check it out. My original question still stands, but I'll assume it hasn't been a problem.

Grade Logic Control Adaptive Automatic Transmission
Dual Body Color Folding Power Adjustable Heated Exterior Rearview Mirrors With Driver Memory and Driver and Passenger Automatic Tilt-Down Mirrors
In-Glass Radio Antenna
Rear Window Defroster
Front Power 300-mm X 28-mm Ventilated Disc and Rear Power 282-mm X 9-mm Solid Disc Brakes
Old 05-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
I'm bumping this super old thread because I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who has the un-tinted strip on the rear doors. I had my car tinted in 2015 and the rear doors never really bothered me until now. I had a recent bubble emerge on my rear windshield and and I'm having my rear window re-tinted under warranty. I'm going to ask the installer to fix the rear doors as well and mention that others were able to get underneath the seal. I hope he is okay with it! Of course, I'd incur the costs to correct the rear doors since it's been about 4 years now and the tint is still fine in those areas.

Quick Reply: Tint Rear Side Windows