3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to modify power seat bottom to lay flatter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 945 Likes on 650 Posts
Is there a way to modify power seat bottom to lay flatter?

I searched and did not see this topic brought up yet. One of the only things I do not like about my 08 TL-S is that the seat bottoms do not lay flat enough for me to be perfectly comfortable. In most vehicles the power seat movement allows the seat bottom to lay almost perfectly flat if you wanted it to, where as in the 3rd gen TL the flattest it will go is still angled upwards somewhat significantly. I have had newer TSX and 4th Gen TL loaners and they changed something because I am overall much more comfortable seated in those cars.
Im not some sort of unusually shaped person (just average 6ft tall 180lb male), but always find that with the seat bottom angled up the front most part of the seat bottom is always putting pressure on the lower part of your legs and to me its uncomfortable.
So my questions:
-Why does the 3rg Gen TL seat bottom not have the same amount of vertical movement as the TSX or 4th Gen TL even though they are almost the same seats?
-Does anyone think that the seat mechanisms can be modified to allow the front of the seat bottom to go down more?
-If the mechanism itself cant be modified, does anyone think that the cushion part or whatever holds it to the seat can be modified so that it sits on the seat brackets a little flatter?

I know to some people this all may seem goofy, but its something that I always notice when driving my TL so it obviously bothers me. I drove my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland to work today and the seat is sooooo much more comfortable because of this. I do not want to part with the TL though for something I can possibly fix.

For those that don't understand what im referring to just open your driver or passenger side door and look at your seats side profile. The seat bottoms are angled up and it kind of kinks the bottom of my legs if you can picture that.

Thanks for any input guys I appreciate it.

James
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
this is part of the reason why I cant shift in this vehicle.
I'm not comfortable in the seats!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Yeah I agree. It was more noticeable in my 6mt TL because you also have to push your left leg down. The TL would be perfect for me if I could just figure out a way to get the front of the seat bottom to go further down.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Just to check, you guys are "twisting" the lower seat adjustment, right? Mine dumps me so flat, it feels like I'm going to fall out of the seat. I like it tilted up a bit because I fit better and the seat doesn't have to be so far back. For what it's worth, mine goes completely flat on the bottom even though I don't like it like that, it almost feels like it's dumping you out of it. If I remember right, just lowering the seat as far as it will go will flatten it if you had it reclined back some. I honestly don't know what to say unless there's some kind of a stop or adjustment under the seat. Since I'm such a nice guy I'll trade my seats that go flat for the Type S seats that don't.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
maybe....... open up the seat bottom and carve the front half of the cushion down
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same complaint with my TL. The front seats slope up too much and can't be flattened out. I drive over 2 hours a day and the front edge began to hurt my hamstrings.

What helped me was folding a hand towel in 1/3, then laying that on the bottom of the seat. It gives me just enough upwards boost so that the leading edge of the seat doesn't bother my legs as much.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Interesting to see im not the only one that wishes the seat lays flatter. Its not horrible, but from time to time I notice it. Whats weird is I went in the garage and looked at the seat in my TLS and my 2012 Jeep Overland (which has very comfortable seats), and visually they appear to be almost the same angle. But im trying to figure out why im super comfy in my Jeep seats, and sometimes the front lower seat bottom bothers me in the TL. I dunno I guess its not a big deal. If I get time some day and decide to see if I can get more movement our some other modification I will be sure to post it up.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
honestly its hard for a car seat to satisfy every buyer. some people are taller, shorter, skinnier, etc. Maybe the jeep cherokee is meant for taller people like 6 ft 180lb, but I think the TL is for slightly smaller people like 5'8" 160lb. Me personally, 5'7" 130lb I think these seats are just fine holds me pretty well in cornering and looks nice!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

It works fine for me at 6'1" and 230lbs. It might be in the cushions, there's sometimes an inconsistency between cars of the same model. Mine definitely doesn't cause any of the problems mentioned.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It works fine for me at 6'1" and 230lbs. It might be in the cushions, there's sometimes an inconsistency between cars of the same model. Mine definitely doesn't cause any of the problems mentioned.
Mine either, but I'm also 6'3" @ 230lbs....long legs and arms,
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
My seat bottom is fine for me...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Team Owner

Just to clarify I only mention that I have no problems with mine to show that maybe some of these seats are slightly different. I believe there is a problem with some, it's probably in the "stuffing" I would assume. I can't imagine anything else that could vary from vehicle to vehicle. Mine is not even close to having this issue and I normally have the whole seat tilted back. Haven't you owned two TLs? Did you have the same problem in both?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Just to clarify I only mention that I have no problems with mine to show that maybe some of these seats are slightly different. I believe there is a problem with some, it's probably in the "stuffing" I would assume. I can't imagine anything else that could vary from vehicle to vehicle. Mine is not even close to having this issue and I normally have the whole seat tilted back. Haven't you owned two TLs? Did you have the same problem in both?
I have owned 5 TL's lol. One base 07, and 4 Type S's (yeah go ahead make fun of me). I dont remember if I had this issue on the TL's I had a long time ago, but I remember having this issue on my last 3 which were all Type S's. Let me clarify though its not a huge problem, I can drive the TL and be comfortable, infact I drove the last one I bought home straight through from Philly to Chicago. Just a minor gripe of mine that I notice as I go back and forth between driving my 2012 Overland Jeep and my 08 Type S. Overall, I like the seats in the newer 4th Gen TL's more.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
honestly its hard for a car seat to satisfy every buyer. some people are taller, shorter, skinnier, etc. Maybe the jeep cherokee is meant for taller people like 6 ft 180lb, but I think the TL is for slightly smaller people like 5'8" 160lb. Me personally, 5'7" 130lb I think these seats are just fine holds me pretty well in cornering and looks nice!
i'm 5'9" 130 and i love the seat. actually i wish it was a bit more narrow lol.

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
Mine either, but I'm also 6'3" @ 230lbs....long legs and arms,
i hate both of you genetically superior people lol

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I have owned 5 TL's lol. One base 07, and 4 Type S's (yeah go ahead make fun of me). I dont remember if I had this issue on the TL's I had a long time ago, but I remember having this issue on my last 3 which were all Type S's. Let me clarify though its not a huge problem, I can drive the TL and be comfortable, infact I drove the last one I bought home straight through from Philly to Chicago. Just a minor gripe of mine that I notice as I go back and forth between driving my 2012 Overland Jeep and my 08 Type S. Overall, I like the seats in the newer 4th Gen TL's more.
how did the base TL compare??? maybe it's because i'm small but my 07 base goes flat to the point i feel like i'm gonna fall off the seat when i brake..