3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there other 1-year 3G TL stories out there?

Old 10-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Are there other 1-year 3G TL stories out there?

I wrote about my one year experience with my early-VIN TL a few weeks ago. I'm interested in what others think of their TL at one year. There was a flurry of purchases (and site joinings) about this time last year.

Or, if you gave up your TL in the last year, tell us why.

I think this thread will give the many people who search our site information about the reliability (or lack thereof, depending on your point of view), about this car. You can click "1 year review" in my sig to read my story. In short, other than tire noise from the Falkens, I love it!

Old 10-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
um, give me till the end of march 05
Old 10-28-2004, 08:07 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
give me till end dec 22
Old 10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed the one year mark on 10/16/04 with about 12,500 miles for the year. In general I'm still happy with the car's handling, performance, comfort, and electronics. I've not had any problems with the car other than a few noises in the cabin.

-r
Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my '04 for only three months. Hoping to keep the '05 for at least a year. And a good year.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
give me till end dec 22
dang, and you've got well over 20k miles already, jatt, IIRC? Man, you're gonna drive your TL into the ground. I'm not too far behind you, though, I hit 20k miles last week, and I'm driving to Savannah, Georgia next week for an electromyography meeting (750 miles each way)....last big road trip of the year.

Thanks for your on-topic reply, acura driver, I'm glad I'm not the only early-VIN guy with few probs.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Another 1-yr guy here...

This car lets me spot dealers' true faces and edifies myself the painstaking strategies to deal with Acura. After dozens of visits to Acura dealers in first 6 months, I finally realize DIY is the ultimate method to troubleshoot my issues.

Overall, this car is better than my expectation so far.

Pre-order in the begining of Sep, but continued to change color options. Then I got my TL in the middle of Oct and it has 18k now.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:07 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
give me till the april 05
Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
dang, and you've got well over 20k miles already, jatt, IIRC? Man, you're gonna drive your TL into the ground. I'm not too far behind you, though, I hit 20k miles last week, and I'm driving to Savannah, Georgia next week for an electromyography meeting (750 miles each way)....last big road trip of the year.

Thanks for your on-topic reply, acura driver, I'm glad I'm not the only early-VIN guy with few probs.
lol well now im @ 222xx lol

i love this baby.....

check out the few mods coming soon...
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Got mine last October 15 I think. Have a little over 6000 miles on it now. First 1400 or so were complete hell for me because of the Craptanza's and their incurable shaking of the car. Only other problem was a squeak in the center stack that was fixed first try by my dealer. Since January when I put Michelins on the car, it's been smooth sailing. Car has only been back to the dealer for the A1 service combined with the auto trans recall.

I still love driving it, and am amazed at how noisy all other cars seem compared to my TL. The audio system still sounds great to me and the HandsFreeLink is a godsend. It's very comfortable for me, looks incredible when clean (ABP/Quartz), and is a good powerful freeway cruiser for the rare instances that I get to do any of that.

Count me as very happy once I got the new shoes for it.

Mike
Old 10-29-2004, 02:32 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gave up my TL because i won the Super 7, so I traded it for a lamborghini....

lol i m ...
Old 10-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
.... for an electromyography meeting .........

nuronbub, ezzee wit teh big wurds, haf the fokes on thes fourem kan't tipe or spel wurth a durn..... much les reed dat medikal turmenologee.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
We know what that is. It's electric self-portraits.

Mike
Old 10-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by svtmike

Mike
For once, I can't tell if svtmike is joking or not...but I'm thinking its sarcasm?

Like cTLgo, I bought my TL in March. I just passed the 10K mark though. No "real" problems to complain of.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

I got mine around the beginning of October last year. I know have 16k miles on it. Overall, I'm still happy with the car. I must say that I'm getting alittle "bored" with it now. Up until a few months ago you still didn't see many on the road. Now they are everywhere.

I have the 18" OEM wheels with dealer-installed Continental tires. They have begun to flat-spot badly as I approach their second winter. They have also become very noisy at highway speeds the last few months.

Interior rattles are increasing. I didn't have many of the rattle problems reported here originally, but they are increasing with age. I also have the 70-80 mph resonance that may be partially due to the tires.

Exterior finish is still holding up well. Bird droppings have burned into the clearcoat in a couple of places, but the casual observer won't see them. I've kept a bra on my car since the first month of owning the car, only removing it every third carwash or so. It has protected the front-end very well and has not caused any scratching around the bra. I have waxed the car maybe 3 or 4 times since purchasing it, and I have not noticed any paint fading or flaking.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
2005 WDP TL

Mine was picked up in January, and now has 21000 miles on it. I am a realtor so I am in it alot. I have all of the rattles, the crappy EL-42s, and the seam on my steering wheel......but I love the car. Everyone that gets in it complements it.

I am purchasing a set of Michelins here shortly, and have some Axis brake pads on the way. The a spec suspension and some dynamat will find it's way to the car as soon as the market here slows for Thanksgiving.

Bob- I am passing on the Falkens because of the noise-Thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
1 year on October 10

I've had a great experience barring the tires (replaced with Pilot Sport A/S).

Navigation system is great, car still gets positive comments from onlookers, and engine has been a monster (I can only imagine how quick the 6M transmission cars are).

It's also been very safe, a good handler (couple notches below my Audi S4), and roomy.

Wish it had a fold-down rear seat, all wheel drive, and slightly better quality materials, but otherwise it's been tremendous.

-josh
Old 10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

I bought my car Feb 28, 2004 after my '93 Prelude was totaled and I now have 15K miles on it (I also have a 01 Accord EX that I drive 80% of the time). Anyhow, my main complaints have been:
o rattling/buzzing center channel
o mysterious squeaking in the backseat area that comes and goes along with the buzzing 3rd brake lamp
o rattling driverside seatbelt tensioner
o flatspotting tires (which I originally thought were the crappy roads but now that construction has completed, I KNOW it's the tires)
o bad wear on the leather seats (big crease in the back seat as well as driver side)
o misaligned trunk (noticable to me anyhow, offset is about 0.10")
o quirky voice recognition
o vibration in the steering around 50 mph @1200 rpm (very subtle but noticable to me)

VIN: 29XXX
Other than that, I love driving this car. Great acceleration and looks nice in NBP.
I had a clear bra installed but have a knick about 5" above the cut off
Old 10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro

I just passes the one year mark about two weeks ago. I don't drive nearly as much as some of you guys as I've only driven 10,000 KMS in my 04 TL. Overall I love my TL as much as I did when I first drove it home the first day. I am always happy getting into my car and driving it home or to work. I had a few of the early production problems which have been worked out, and just a couple of interior noises. Other than that, the TL has been the best car I've owned. Now, I might consider replacing it if they come out with a SH-AWD version of the TL in the next two years.....
Old 10-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
nuronbub, ezzee wit teh big wurds, haf the fokes on thes fourem kan't tipe or spel wurth a durn..... much les reed dat medikal turmenologee.
Originally Posted by svtmike

It's a type of nerve testing using electric stimulation for one part, and recording of electrical activity from muscle using needles for the second part. We use it to diagnose stuff like carpal tunnel syndrome, radiculopathy ("pinched nerve" in neck or back), and other nerve/muscle problems. I am an expert in this in my offline life.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
13,000 miles so far, acquired it in March '04 .. I'll just chime in b/c some 1-year folks have similar mileage:

Quality: Definitely a step up from my TL-S .. fewer rattles (though they are there), more solid feeling, better handling, greater feel of the car while driving. A huge improvement from the previous generation.

Performance: Can't say this car is any faster/slower than when I first got it. I do miss the power of my modded Type S. I miss the bolt-on mod possibilities (i.e. the exhaust manifolds)..

Problems w/ the car in the first 13,000 miles are SIGNIFICANTLY fewer than my first 13K w/ the TL-S:
2004 TL: 1) warped rotors at 6k miles -- resurfaced under warr., new brake pads installed, now my rotors are warped again
2) that engine light comes on when in SS mode and hanging above 4k rpms... quick fix, haven't done it yet at the dealershiop
3) rattles, creaks... don't hear them as much b/c I'm blasting my XM radio
4) sunroof creaking .. need to get that teflon fix
5) NO vibration issues w/ steering or in 5th gear while on highway

All in all, I'm very pleased w/ this car -- the only car I'm more happy w/ in terms of fewer problems, rattles, etc is my nissan maxima -- it's a beast, and very reliable.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a few more days till that 1 year mark. November 10th I will be back.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Instructor

I wrote about my one year experience with my early-VIN TL a few weeks ago. I'm interested in what others think of their TL at one year. There was a flurry of purchases (and site joinings) about this time last year.

I think this thread will give the many people who search our site information about the reliability (or lack thereof, depending on your point of view), about this car. You can click "1 year review" in my sig to read my story. In short, other than tire noise from the Falkens, I love it!

What a great review - thanks Neruon Bob. I have read that review numerous times. Picking up my TL on Wednesday!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorontoTL
I just passes the one year mark about two weeks ago. I don't drive nearly as much as some of you guys as I've only driven 10,000 KMS in my 04 TL. Overall I love my TL as much as I did when I first drove it home the first day. I am always happy getting into my car and driving it home or to work. I had a few of the early production problems which have been worked out, and just a couple of interior noises. Other than that, the TL has been the best car I've owned. Now, I might consider replacing it if they come out with a SH-AWD version of the TL in the next two years.....
Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
9th Gear

I hit the one year mark on 10/4/04 with 19,800 or so miles. The only problems I have had with the vehicle have been a defective memory seat module and some minor interior rattles. Otherwise the car has been fantastic and is still fun to drive!