3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a DIY for adjusting Emergency Break?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Is there a DIY for adjusting Emergency Break?

the title say it all, I've searched and haven't found anything....it would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
should be in the garage section as part of the rear brake diy
If its a floor mounted pedal- you adjust the park brake till it stops the wheel - then back the `STAR wheel` adjuster off 6 clicks

Dont know for center console ones -anyone help there?

the park brake is really a small set of drum brakes located inside the rear rotor- thats why the center hub section is so wide- contains the brake shoes and the hub is the drum for them!- pretty trick actually
The `star wheel adjuster` is at the bottem of the hub rotation- access thru rubber boot on hub
same as doing any old american car drum brake adjust
a special tool is available at parts stores or a flat screwdriver and flashlight work well

i dont recall which way is tighten, i think its down with the wheel, but its obvious in a few clicks if things are getting tighter or looser- there will be a very slight dragging feel and noise when properly adjusted
Always a good idea when doing rear brake job to remove rotor and clean-inspect and lube all the park brake parts, then do the adjustment
Especially look behind the backing plate at rubber boot into plate- if it tears open water gets in- can rust, or freeze the assembly and cause major headaches

check owner book for how many clicks of lever it should require to hold the car stopped when some throttle is applied

If you ever do need them as an emergency brake in a hydraulic fluid loss situation/event, apply partially them more and more--thinking they are small drum brakes and you dont slam on the brakes with something like that- it just locks the rear wheels--you dont slow with sliding wheels

does that get you started?

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-07-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
should be in the garage section as part of the rear brake diy
If its a floor mounted pedal- you adjust the park brake till it stops the wheel - then back the `STAR wheel` adjuster off 6 clicks

Dont know for center console ones -anyone help there?

the park brake is really a small set of drum brakes located inside the rear rotor- thats why the center hub section is so wide- contains the brake shoes and the hub is the drum for them!- pretty trick actually
The `star wheel adjuster` is at the bottem of the hub rotation- access thru rubber boot on hub
same as doing any old american car drum brake adjust
a special tool is available at parts stores or a flat screwdriver and flashlight work well

i dont recall which way is tighten, i think its down with the wheel, but its obvious in a few clicks if things are getting tighter or looser- there will be a very slight dragging feel and noise when properly adjusted
Always a good idea when doing rear brake job to remove rotor and clean-inspect and lube all the park brake parts, then do the adjustment
Especially look behind the backing plate at rubber boot into plate- if it tears open water gets in- can rust, or freeze the assembly and cause major headaches

check owner book for how many clicks of lever it should require to hold the car stopped when some throttle is applied

If you ever do need them as an emergency brake in a hydraulic fluid loss situation/event, apply partially them more and more--thinking they are small drum brakes and you dont slam on the brakes with something like that- it just locks the rear wheels--you dont slow with sliding wheels

does that get you started?
ok, so u can adjust them like the old drum brakes on american cars....no problem...I asked the question because I remember on my 01 TL the mechanic adjusted my emergency brake under the front console....if I recall I think that's because it was a floor em brake...I was reading that adjust the pull arm is done thru the center console on a tsx.....
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's an access cover in the bottom of the center console...I saw the tech do mine. I don't know what he did in there, though.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
To adjust the parking brake, you need to gain access to the handbrake lever at the back of the center console (no idea how to do that). Once you've done that, here's what you do...

- Place the rear of the vehicle on jack stands
- Spin both rear tires to make sure they spin freely (if not, loosen the #5 adjuster nut till they do)
- Pull the parking brake lever up one click and leave it there
- Spin either rear wheel and check to see if the wheel still spin freely (if there is slight drag on one or both, your done)
- If no drag is felt, turn the #5 adjusting nut one notch tighter (it has a ratchet type action) & recheck
- Continue adjusting until slight drag is felt
- Put parking brake handle down and check that there is no longer any drag on either wheel

No drag w/ the handle down & slight drag with handle on 1st notch is what your looking for. It is pretty normal for one side to experience drag before the other, so don't be worried if that's the case. If your car still has trouble holding on an incline, it may be necessary to adjust the individual drum mechanism behind the brake disk on the loose wheel.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 94eg!
To adjust the parking brake, you need to gain access to the handbrake lever at the back of the center console (no idea how to do that). Once you've done that, here's what you do...

- Place the rear of the vehicle on jack stands
- Spin both rear tires to make sure they spin freely (if not, loosen the #5 adjuster nut till they do)
- Pull the parking brake lever up one click and leave it there
- Spin either rear wheel and check to see if the wheel still spin freely (if there is slight drag on one or both, your done)
- If no drag is felt, turn the #5 adjusting nut one notch tighter (it has a ratchet type action) & recheck
- Continue adjusting until slight drag is felt
- Put parking brake handle down and check that there is no longer any drag on either wheel

No drag w/ the handle down & slight drag with handle on 1st notch is what your looking for. It is pretty normal for one side to experience drag before the other, so don't be worried if that's the case. If your car still has trouble holding on an incline, it may be necessary to adjust the individual drum mechanism behind the brake disk on the loose wheel.

thanks man, this will do...
Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM
#1 Super Guy!

I just figured out how to access the adjuster nut.

- Open up the center console storage bin (armrest)
- Remove the #19 rubber mat from the bottom
- Remove the #20 maintenance hatch
- The adjuster nut is between the two brake cables just forward of the maintenance hatch
- Use a small ratchet and socket to make adjustments through the hatch

Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY's are in the 3G garage. this is the best place to look before searching or posting a thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/brakes-caliper-o-h-pad-repl-hoses-bleed-disc-specs-park-brake-adj-3g-garage-d-041-a-578017/

Scroll a bit more than half way down.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
#1 Super Guy!

I just followed my own step-by-step and it was very easy. Parking brake works much better now.

On the plus side I just found the spare 12v socket inside the lower armrest bin. I also found the small access hole into the upper portion of the bin to run the plug wire. Guess it's been a long time since I looked at my owners manual... lol
Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Here's the tools required:

- 3/8" ratchet
- 12mm deep socket
- Two hands

As you turn the adjuster nut, it will get tight just before it gets loose again. During the tight part it is necessary to hold the socket with your fingers as you turn the ratchet cause the nut wants to spring back. It's kinda hard to get your fingers in, but it works
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Bump...is there a different process for adjusting the parking brake of a TL-s?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH

no, same thing.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH

shouldn't be any different than a non-type s

Last edited by flyromeo3; 06-15-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Here's the tools required:

- 3/8" ratchet
- 12mm deep socket
- Two hands

As you turn the adjuster nut, it will get tight just before it gets loose again. During the tight part it is necessary to hold the socket with your fingers as you turn the ratchet cause the nut wants to spring back. It's kinda hard to get your fingers in, but it works
If you unbolt the center console with the two screws at the bottom you can lift it ever so slightly. Theres enough space you can slide an extension through there and wrench from outside the box behind the console. This makes it far easier to turn the wrench the 120 degrees or so it needs to click the adjuster over.