Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB Service, Leaking Oil Pump, advice and input

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TB Service, Leaking Oil Pump, advice and input

Im new here but have been an avid "silent member" for quite some time and you guys are amazing so im coming to yall for a little advice and input. I have an 08 WDP TL I bought with 73k miles. Four years later it now has 176k miles and is my wifes daily driver with our kids. All that car has needed other than oil and tires in 103k miles ive had her is a TPS and it somehow shot out a spark plug out of nowhere about a year ago. I know its time to give her some major TLC so this past week or so ive done a 3x3 Trans fluid change (which gave me an ever so slight noise when i juuussst start to accelerate which concerns me), new air filter, cabin air filter, replaced a cracked rim, switched back to summer tires, new gas shocks to hold the hood up, and a few other things. Anyways I want to get the TB service done and i have what i believe to be an oil pump leak. I have been scared of timing belts and have never attempted one but i have access to Alldata and found a friggin amazing write up on here thats making me second guess taking the car to the dealer who quoted me 1850 for the basic TB service and to just reseal the oil pump. Im leaning towards ordering oem parts and attempting this myself as i am somewhat mechanically inclined (i just R&R 2007 Cobalt trans in march) but wanted to get a little more insight from you guys......

$1850 is crazy high right?

do it myself or not should i just replace the oil pump at this mileage since im already in there? or is it ok to just reseal it? to those that have done it just how hard is it?

briefly started shopping for parts but it looks like i can get a full oem TB parts set for abour $440 including the cam/crank seals and a new Oil pump for $150ish + misc for plugs, coolant,etc. any better options?

I should be able to do this right? save $1k or so?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I guess it depends on how severe the oil leak is. I do my own work, but let the shop do the timing belt. Last time I had it done (with WP and all of the other parts) it was about $700 at dealer....they had a coupon special. I decided to not have them do the oil pump leak b/c they wanted $1600 and only offered a couple of hundred off when they were in doing the TB. Mine only leaks a very little....never need to add oil between changes and only see a thin film on engine and oil pan when I change my oil. It has been 4 years and over 100,000 miles with no change, so it has worked out for me.

To see if you can get a lower quote, try a Honda dealer if there is one nearby....often cheaper.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Cruisin'

That's exactly what I've been doing and like you it's worked so far... I may just leave it be if the dealer won't work it out a little more inexpensive for me.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Well I had a 5 day weekend for the holiday and decided to give the TB change a try. I was gonna leave the oil pump removal a game time decision depending on how the TB removal went. Long story short after getting in there and seeing just how bad 4 years of leaking oil looked and I wouldn't be back in there for another 100k miles I decided to go for the hail Mary. It was a hell of a job doing them both together, with my slight ocd, and knowing if I have one mess up or left out one gasket or something it'd all be for nothing. As of right now I've got all back together except for the TB covers, mount and plugs. I rotated the crank 6 times after accidentally putting the pulley on before the covers :/ and all seems well. Timing held. I had a cam move on me putting the belt on and had a minor freak out but I think I got that figured out thanks to this site. Was too tired and needed some family time today but she should be finished up first of the week. Here's a few before and after pics

Oil pump before

After, new seals too

Nasty nasty, oil was seeping into crank gear

Much better, getting there

Wire brush, citrol, and brake cleaner on this thing. It also got a new gasket
Old 07-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

Well I had a 5 day weekend for the holiday and decided to give the TB change a try. I was gonna leave the oil pump removal a game time decision depending on how the TB removal went. Long story short after getting in there and seeing just how bad 4 years of leaking oil looked and I wouldn't be back in there for another 100k miles I decided to go for the hail Mary. It was a hell of a job doing them both together, with my slight ocd, and knowing if I have one mess up or left out one gasket or something it'd all be for nothing. As of right now I've got all back together except for the TB covers, mount and plugs. I rotated the crank 6 times after accidentally putting the pulley on before the covers :/ and all seems well. Timing held. I had a cam move on me putting the belt on and had a minor freak out but I think I got that figured out thanks to this site. Was too tired and needed some family time today but she should be finished up first of the week. Here's a few before and after pics

Oil pump before

After, new seals too

Nasty nasty, oil was seeping into crank gear

Much better, getting there

Wire brush, citrol, and brake cleaner on this thing. It also got a new gasket
Old 07-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
I will be tackling this on my Accord V6 next year. My oil pump leak mysteriously stopped when the spring came around and there is no more leak for now. Must be the higher temp, was leaking during the winter. I did not change oil brand or viscosity either.

Did you have problem removing the exhaust at all? I'm considering going to an exhaust shop to have them loosen the exhaust bolts first, replace with new ones plus copper anti-seize then I will go back to loosen them when I get to the job.

Last edited by t-rd; 07-08-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Good job OP!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
nice job! well beyond my ability....I would have 2 screws and a gasket left when finished.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys. I finished her up last night at 3am and she runs great! 100 miles so far and no issues or leaks. Here's to hoping she stays that way!! What a job tho, not for the faint hearted. It takes a long time and there are no shortcuts or all your hard work will be nullified. Definitely have someone to help you if possible, and make sure you've got good tools and all your parts ready before hand.

I had access to a 3/4 inch drive air gun which did the trick on the exhaust bolts easily. I sprayed them a few times prior with pb blaster but the 1/4 wouldn't budge em so I would def recommend renting a big boy toy if your able. Made it easiy to remove the crank pulley bolt as well as tightening her back down. If that's not an option then I would def bring it to a shop the day before you get started to just crack them loose for ya
Old 10-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

hi Thanks for the post and the pictures.
I am wondering does this oil leak spread to bottom of transmission?
Mine starts leaking too, but can not find the root cause. I can see oil leak even right under cover where engine connects to transmission.
I spend quite time to track the oil leak paths, i can see the engine pan (the bottom of engine ) silicon sealing is wet all the rear side of engine.
But I dont see clear leak near engine oil filter (oil filter assembly sealing)even thoigh it is wet. How do you found the root cause?

Last edited by maska; 10-06-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

I have recently acquired a leak in that exact area maybe a month ago. Usually oil leaking onto the bottom of transmission where it connects to the engine means the rear main seal is leaking. Another big job that requires removal of transmission. However.... When I was doing my service above and replacing the oil pan I used anaerobic sealant which needs to be 110 percent clean to work. and I'm afraid that the oil pan isn't 100 percent sealed in a small spot on the transmission side and that's where my leak is coming from. I'd say one of those 2 would be your culprit, hope it's not rear main. Just keep adding oil til trans goes out!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by maska
hi Thanks for the post and the pictures.
I am wondering does this oil leak spread to bottom of transmission?
Mine starts leaking too, but can not find the root cause. I can see oil leak even right under cover where engine connects to transmission.
I spend quite time to track the oil leak paths, i can see the engine pan (the bottom of engine ) silicon sealing is wet all the rear side of engine.
But I dont see clear leak near engine oil filter (oil filter assembly sealing)even thoigh it is wet. How do you found the root cause?
That is the rear main seal leak, not oil pump. You'll have to separate and drop the trans to get that seal changed. I had this done at the same time when my trans got rebuilt. It is a very expensive job and very involved.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a rear mail seal. I wouldn't mess with it for now. Sometimes they fix themselves, sometimes not.

$900 to replace a $9 part.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

What you can try, without doing anything drastic is to use high mileage oil which makes the seals swell a little bit and might stop the leak.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Rear main seal, replace your PCV valve and change your ATF regularly.
Replacing the PCV valve may do the trick alone.. if you're lucky.