3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is strobe light legal to have in MA even when it is turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is strobe light legal to have in MA even when it is turn off?

I am planning to have strobe lights inside my vehicle (front and rear), but I was wondering if it is legal in Ma. I am just using these strobe lights for car show. Will it be legal to just have the strobe lights in Ma, even if they are turn off? Also what color of strobe lights are legal? Please clarify this for me, those who knows the law very well. Thank you so much.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM
B A N N E D

If u use it while you are driving yes its illegal but if u use it in park in your drive way or parking lot its not

Ma Laws blow

All colors are illegal outside/inside the car while driving b/c its a distraction
Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by DGP-King
If u use it while you are driving yes its illegal but if u use it in park in your drive way or parking lot its not

Ma Laws blow

All colors are illegal outside/inside the car while driving b/c its a distraction
Thank you so much for the reply. So you are saying I can have the strobe lights inside the car (when it is off) when I am driving on the road? So if the cop sees my strobe lights in the car, even if the lights are turned off, they wont say anything? So I can have any color of strobe lights inside the car? Thank you for the reply.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah u can have them

any color

just dont have em on n u shuld be fine

my friends car had full neon setup n he went into Providence RI with em on

statie stopped him and ripped it out and smashd it lol...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Yeah u can have them

any color

just dont have em on n u shuld be fine

my friends car had full neon setup n he went into Providence RI with em on

statie stopped him and ripped it out and smashd it lol...
damn that statie is so harsh. lol. I understand ripping it out, but smashin it. lol Dats cold. But yea, so you're saying I should be fine having strobe lights in the inside of my car? Also if a state cop see my strobe lights through my window, but they are turned off, will he pull me over and fined me? Sorry for askin, but I want to be clear on this situation. Much appreciated. =)
Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 PM
B A N N E D

If he sees them off your gonna be fine

btw where in MA are you we are tryin to get a meet together
Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
TEAM_SONIC

If he sees them off your gonna be fine

btw where in MA are you we are tryin to get a meet together
I live in Lawrence, Ma. let me know if you guys do have a meet. I am interested. =)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Hold on that is not all true as a mass Police Officer if you have blue or red on or off you need a permit for it you can not have blue or red facing forward with out the permit you can have yellow green white facing forward and you can have white red green yellow facing rear the red and blue colors are just for police and fire and it is stated so in mass law and just having these lights shown can get you a ticket and if the officer wants to really stick it to you he/she can say you are trying to inpersnate a police officer and that is more trouble than you need so if I were you and you want a show strobe system I would stay with the yellow green white faceing forward and red white yellow green in rear if you drive by a road work site you see there pickup trucks with there backup lights and there red tail lights strobe and then there front head lights and turn sig lights strobed you could do this and be with in the law because you have yellow white forward and the red white rear look at tow trucks and see what they have thats what you can get away with because its right in the mass laws as to what can be used on the street sorry for the bad news but hate to see a fellow aziner get into crap over strobe or led lights
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh
Thank you so much for the reply. So you are saying I can have the strobe lights inside the car (when it is off) when I am driving on the road? So if the cop sees my strobe lights in the car, even if the lights are turned off, they wont say anything? So I can have any color of strobe lights inside the car? Thank you for the reply.
Just get some Whelen Hide-A-Ways, they go in the headlights and tail lights. Cops will never know you have them unless they see the control box in the car.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
Just get some Whelen Hide-A-Ways, they go in the headlights and tail lights. Cops will never know you have them unless they see the control box in the car.
Again not true don't you think a cop knows were to look and at what to look for you can have the strobe bulbs in your bracklights when you step on the brakes the brake light shows the shadows of your strob bulds in there next time you are behind a police car and they step on the brake look at the lights if you see a small dark shadow on the left or right side of the lense that is there strobe lights you have to rember we are the ones that put this system into use and the old saying is don't try to BS a BSer they will know but hey do what you want just don't come crying later when you have to deal with the crap that starts to roll down the hill that all
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when you are driving there should not be anything visable in or on your car that attracts attention--keep it simple- if its really just for car shows it wont be hard to comply and have a quick connect system once you are on private property

I drove a Rescue vehicle to the race track- had to cover the roof red lightbars with a canvas tarp on the street while driving or parked- or its impersonating...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by markbento
Hold on that is not all true as a mass Police Officer if you have blue or red on or off you need a permit for it you can not have blue or red facing forward with out the permit you can have yellow green white facing forward and you can have white red green yellow facing rear the red and blue colors are just for police and fire and it is stated so in mass law and just having these lights shown can get you a ticket and if the officer wants to really stick it to you he/she can say you are trying to inpersnate a police officer and that is more trouble than you need so if I were you and you want a show strobe system I would stay with the yellow green white faceing forward and red white yellow green in rear if you drive by a road work site you see there pickup trucks with there backup lights and there red tail lights strobe and then there front head lights and turn sig lights strobed you could do this and be with in the law because you have yellow white forward and the red white rear look at tow trucks and see what they have thats what you can get away with because its right in the mass laws as to what can be used on the street sorry for the bad news but hate to see a fellow aziner get into crap over strobe or led lights
Thank you very much markbento, I really appreciate you for helping me out. Now I am very clear on this issue.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
B A N N E D

We r talkin about inside neon for look

not outside lighting
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM
TEAM_SONIC

We r talkin about inside neon for look

not outside lighting

lol. I am so confuse right now. So is it legal to have blue strobe lights inside my car or not? I will use them for car show. So will it be legal or illegal to have strobe lights inside the car? (strobe lights will be off while driving). Please clarify this for me once again. Any real officer out there. PLEASE!!! =)
Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Team Owner

If you have an obvious strobe mounted in the car- say- on the dash like a cop~--expect a problem

once parked on `private property` you can do whatever you want with the lights-
well dont look like a cop in your driveway- that would be stupid
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Team Owner

Believe it or not- there are BAD people who pull over someone by having a blue or red light on the dash

then rob them, or carjack them,,,, or kill them just for fun...
Makes the LE a bit sensative on the issue
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sondinh
lol. I am so confuse right now. So is it legal to have blue strobe lights inside my car or not? I will use them for car show. So will it be legal or illegal to have strobe lights inside the car? (strobe lights will be off while driving). Please clarify this for me once again. Any real officer out there. PLEASE!!! =)
If you have any blue red strobes that are visable even if they are inside your car its a no no, case in point some would put the blue neon lights in there car and then they would pulse with the music that they would play if that light is able to be seen even though it is inside the car it is a ticket, you can even not have the neon lights under the car turned on when driving, all in all do what you want its your money and BTW I am real look at http://www.bento.org/markjoannesplace/baddayatwork.html
and then tell me if you still feel that I am not but ether way you ask a question and I tried to answer it
Old 03-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
lol just put a disco ball on your hood and be done with it :P
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Allright just one more question can you have reds any were on your car because here you said in the back and then you said reds and blues are for Police and Fire?

thank you so much I was just about to just light up my truck like a cop car just because i could and i go off roading allot so you like saved me jail time hahaha

-Ricky
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I'M GOING IN

Mass police dislike very much anybody that "SEEMS" to impersonate a police officer I got fined for having a P.A system in my car. He stated in the violation that it was "Unlawful mount of Siren" I got my car stripped searched to see if I had strobes wig wags.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
draws more attention... why do it at all?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM
2007 TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to have white strobes on my Audi S4 on the front and 4 on the back. When I totaled my Audi I had them on cuz i was on the middle of the road, i also had my blue/red dash strobes that i had set up on the trunk, when the cops came they gave me crap about it and asked me all these questions why i had them, they told me to get rid of the blue/red strobes for my own good. They said u can only have white and amber strobes.

check out youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r0i41zVUw0
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
illegal in all states if u drive and use them. if ur standing still you should be ok but cops can still bust balls regardless. i have them in my tails n reverse lights. never use them tho
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

Hi Mark. I live in MA. I was just written a ticket the other night for using my green Whelen Edge 9000 strobe lightbar while patrolling a neighborhood in town. I am the head of my towns local Community Watch patrol group and we use a green lightbar on our specially marked Community Watch car. We only turn on the lightbar in heavily populated neighborhoods to advertise the patrol car's presence when we are patrolling a heavily populated neighborhoods. It was a huge blow-out between me and the officer when he pulled me over. The officer is convinced that everyone needs a lights permit for any colored lights on any type of vehicle including amber and green. So in the end he wrote me a ticked for "the display of oscillating lights" for $35. I know he wrote me a false illegal ticket that's not legitimate because I haven't broken any law by using my green lights in the way I use them. I emailed Captain Steven M. MaCarthy of the Massachusetts State Police a last year to ask him about the use of green and yellow strobe lights before I install my green lightbar ontop my Community Watch vehicle to make sure everything is legal with the color green. Captain MaCarthy emailed me back stating that "green and amber lights are authorized without a permit from the registry of motor vehicles for the use of private vehicles." I always keep a copy of that email in the glove box of my Community Watch car just in case I ever did get pulled over so I could show the officer. While that happened and when I did show him the email from Captain MaCarthy he still said "no that's not true." The officer told me that everything I need to know about strobe lights is in Mass. General Law Chapter 90 Section 7E. I looked it up and it only mention's the use of red and blue lights needing a lights permit. There is no talk of green or even amber lights in Mass General Law Chapter 90 Section 7E or anywhere in Mass General Law at all? I need something official or documented that states that green and amber lights are legal to have in MA and are authorized without a permit from the registry of motor vehicles to use on private vehicles because I am having a hearing over this ticket to prove to this officer that green lights are in deed 100% legal to have on a private vehicle and that they don't need a lights permit. Will you please help me out. You seem like a very knowledgeable about this sort of area especially being a police officer in Massachusetts. I can't find anything online at all regarding this matter. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I hope you get a response, crimewatch, because the last post was from 2009...
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Crimewatch, have you tried calling PayPal?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
DAMN IT you beat me to it!!!

Ok a moar cereal post.

the screen name and the post match to closely to think Mr "CrimeWatch" was worried about the age of the thread.

Thanks for the info none the less.

Last edited by HEAVY_RL; 12-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^I swooped in.
I saw you viewing.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

ZOMG... Swooping Crabs.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
3 years ago I owned a 95' KZ1000P Police Motorcycle complete with blue & red strobes & a siren. The horn was loud and had that distinct police car sound. Everything worked. I never used the lights while riding but people did get out of my way. I remember blowing by a parked state trooper on the highway at 85 Mph & he gave me a friendly wave. God I miss that bike! lol
Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yo, used to live in lawrence but I go down there on the weekends. I got a 6sp black tl with black type s rims with nh plate holla if yu see me. What color is your car and what mods you got?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Wut? ^^^
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by edgarr
Yo, used to live in lawrence but I go down there on the weekends. I got a 6sp black tl with black type s rims with nh plate holla if yu see me. What color is your car and what mods you got?
Originally Posted by jonboy10
Wut? ^^^
Decode:

Hello sir, I too used to live in Lawrence. I still visit occasionally on the weekends driving my six speed black Acura TL.
It has Type S wheels and a NH license plate.
Please get my attention if you see me.

Also, what color is your vehicle and what modifications do you have so that I may look for you?

Good day sir.
The following 2 users liked this post by HEAVY_RL:
justnspace (12-20-2012), tommystyle86 (12-19-2012)