Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static on FM Channels

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Static on FM Channels

Hey guys, anyone experience an issue with getting static on their radio stations? FM, not sure about AM because I don't listen to AM channels. I just noticed it happening for the last month. Prior to this the radio reception was perfectly fine.
I've had tints installed on the car for a long time and never experienced this problem. Not sure what the culprit is. Every now and then, I'll get a clear signal with no static but it's becoming unbearable to listen to the radio even though I hate it. But with kids in the car, my CD's aren't an option.

Is it possible the bluetooth fm transmitter in the 12v cigarette lighter could be causing this problem?

Last edited by DementiaPhuro; 08-02-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read that coolant can become conductive as it ages and may cause damage to a car's electronics. I really have no clue.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Things to keep in mind as you troubleshoot:
-Your radio antenna is the defroster trace on the rear window.
-The antenna plugs into the head unit with a banana-style plug at the back. If anyone has been in there, it may be loose.
-There is a buzz/low volume issue that the stock amp can develop. Play a CD to see if the noise is still present then, if it is, your problem is the amp, not the radio.
-If you think the transmitter (or any other electrical device in the car) is causing interference, remove it and find out.