Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter and speaker issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter and speaker issues

About a month ago, I leased a brand new, 2004 Acura TL, 5AT, black on black. I love it, but I've already had three issues, and I was wondering if there was anyone out there with the same.

1) Had to have the back speaker shelf replaced, because it was warperd around the sub speaker. I looked at 10 others on the lot and 7 had the same problem. The replaced it, seems to be fine now.

2) The sub rattles at times, although it seems to be better now with the new shelf back there. I was told with the rebuild on the car and the new system that's in it, the sub is going to hit the shelving in the back when it's working. I can live with it, it's not horrible, but it is occasionally noticeable.

3) The real concern I have is the starter issue. Probably every 5th time or so that I put the key in the ignition and go to turn it over, I get a fairly significant amount of hesitation. The other night, it actually went about 10-15 seconds and then didn't start at all, then it turned over right after that. I have my foot on the break when I put the key in the ignition, but nothing seems to help. I'm pretty upset about it, and the dealer has recommended a 3-5 second wait once the key is in for the new Immobilizer to activitate and the fuel injection to get going.

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i usually wait 3-5 seconds before i start that car. this is due to to the ulev system to keep the emissions low. it take about couple of seconds to start the car but never 15. the immobilizer does not effect the time it takes to start the car.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
zcrank - You're not alone with the starting issue. Several people have posted their own thoughts or what some dealer service tech had told them and these explanations range from the ULEV to the immobilizer chip.

My car does it around every 20th time or so starting it up. It will turn over just fine but won't actually fire and start up for about 10-12 seconds. It's really annoying and I can't believe this should be a common trait for any car.

My tech said that he couldn't reproduce the problem so he doesn't know why it's doing it......whatever.....

I'll just live with it I guess.

I know someone posted here in the past that their car was doing the same thing and the dealer replaced the injectors and it didn't help. Then they finally replaced the immobilizer module (or something like that) and that cured the problem.