3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone Broke Into My TL...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Unhappy Someone Broke Into My TL...

...and they did it without setting off the alarm. Long story so I cliffs are at the bottom of the post for you lazy asses.

I met some friends from Raleigh at a drag strip, which I do not want to name, but is very close to I-95 here in North Carolina. I get there early and park my car in the first row behind some bleachers.

I meet up with my friends on the other side of the track but I can see my car straight across the track and through the bleachers since not a lot of people are sitting there.

So it's about 20 minutes before the track is going to close and I glance across the track and I see my rear passenger-side door wide open with someone in the backseat and someone in the front passenger seat, leaning over and looking around and such.

I freak out and I say "someone is in my fucking car!" and bust my ass running from the bleachers, going behind the track, and running up to the car.

I get to the car and the doors are shut AND LOCKED, no lights are on, there are no fingerprints that I can see, nothing was moved and nothing was missing.

It was a dirt lot and it's pollen season so my car was filthy, so any prints or whatever would have been visible. I thought maybe they used the "wire and hook" sorta technique where they stick a hanger or something between the door and the window and pop the lock that way BUT doing that would have set off the alarm. Even with the windows coated in pollen, no visible streak marks or fingerprints were found.

I have the keyhole delete done so they couldn't have stuck a fake key or some sort of metal stick in the slot to unlock the doors without taking off the cover.

The interior of my car isn't flawless but I hardly keep anything in there. I have a sunshade and a jacket in the backseat, a TomTom in the middle compartment, and an iPod in the cubby under the radio. ALL of those items were still there and untouched.

So I start asking around to people getting in their cars to leave. The people in the car next to me said they saw two men, one in which was wearing a white hat and a while collared shirt. Then they tell me to look three rows behind me at two men leaning against a light blue Buick, one who was wearing a white hat and a white collared shirt.

After talking to other people in the area, a friend and I casually approach the two men and ask if they had seen anyone tampering with the car. They denied and said they had just gotten to the strip, which I thought was bullshit because the strip was closing in 5 minutes and they had to pay an entrance fee.

As soon as we stop talking to them, we turn back to my car, and they walk towards the track to "watch" cars, even though the strip was closed and no cars were running. So then and there I KNEW it was them, but I couldn't prove it.

People I was sitting around in the bleachers walked over and asked if anything was stolen and also said they saw two males inside of the car the same time I did. So I'm not the only one who saw this.

So me after speaking to the BS'ers, my friends start searching my car. Taking out floormats, moving seats around, feeling for anything stuck between the seats, etc. Even though it's a small town, I'm sure people have the technology to mount some sort of tracking device in the vehicle and retrieve the car later the same day. Nothing was found.

So I get in the car, very shaken up, and sit there for about 20 minutes with the doors locked, seat leaned back at a 45 degree angle, and the lights and the car off, keys in hand. The two guys I spoke to earlier walk past my car and stand by their Buick. The guy with the white hat and shirt points at my car, speaks to the other guy who nods his head, and then they get into the Buick and drive off. I'm not sure if they saw me sitting in the car or not BUT seeing them point at my car really solidifies (to me at least) that it was those two guys that were in my car.

I know I don't have the hottest TL around and that my TL is nothing amazing in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of the nicer cars parked on that side of the track. Maybe the guys were looking for drugs? Since there was nothing readily available to grab on the seats, they just got out asap?

USING GOOGLE AND TYPING IN "ACURAZINE + what I was searching for" ...(which was "Acurazine tl broken into without key") pulled up this thread, in which something similar has happened to other members...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/tl-broken-into-alarm-bypassed-need-info-803994/

So how the hell can this happen? I'm aware that frequencies can be copied in air from the fob to the car BUT I would have had to click the fob while at the race, and while the guys were there, to copy it. I wasn't near my car for almost 5 hours, not once clicking lock or unlock.

There are THOUSANDS of TLs on the road, and I rarely see one out here, so if they did use a radio frequency to open my car, how the eff did they get the specific one for my car? Wtf??!!?!?!?!?

I'm VERY fortunate and thankful that nothing was stolen. I'm pretty freaked out right now so I've been walking outside and checking on my car in the parking lot. I'm just waiting to go out there and seeing the car stripped and/or gone

Cliffs:
-Park at drag strip and lock car
-See my door open with two men inside of it, looking around
-Alarm is not going off, interior lights are on
-Run to the car, everything looks fine and nothing is missing
-Freak out
-The car is filthy but no fingerprints, smudges, or scratches are visible
-Freak out
-Ask around and talk to people; they say one man was wearing a white shirt and hat
-I talk to him, he acts sketchy and says he doesn't know anything, he walks away
-I tear apart my car and nothing was placed in it
-Freak out some more
-Drive home
-Peed myself (not really but I felt shitty enough to)

PLEASE everyone, clean out your car and keep your valuables out of sight. I'm willing to bet that if my GPS or iPod were out on the seats or on the floor, they would no longer be in my possession. Do yourself a favor and get rid of anything of value that could be taken.

So I'll ask again, how the hell did they get into my car with:
-no alarm going off
-no key
-no copy of my remote frequency

?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tyler...glad everything is ok man. That is the most effed up scenario I've heard of in a LONG time. Glad the ride and everything in it is OK. Perplexing situation though...no idea how they were able to do what they did!! Time to chain a German Shepherd to your ride every time you park it in public...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, glad nothing was stolen though, any damages on the car?
is there a chance that maybe you pressed the unlock button while your keys were in your pocket without knowing it? I know i've popped my trunk open a couple times on my car without knowing it
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Carpe Ominous

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you, that sucks man. You should have gotten the license plate number of their car, just in case, since other people saw what had happened. Hope everything works out okay.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Dat sh#t cray! Good thing nothing was stolen. Tampering with the TL equals an immediate ass whooping.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
Not to make you paranoid but do u think they copied the frequency at another time? Your car is very unique and identifiable (hell I recognized it on WFC fb pics and I am HORRIBLE both with cars & memory lol). Also possible 1 was there when u did park, and the other with the car came at a later time once he got the 'ok'.? Ugh ppl like that make me sick tthe pit of my stomach (one of the reasons why I moved doubt of NY). I know nothing was taken but you should still file a police report just in case.

*out of NY... damn auto spell

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-16-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
u have factory alarm system? if u do time to go with Viper alarm system BTW sorry to hear that ur car got broken into

BTW if i were u and u were with friends i would of knock them out if u were really sure it was them cause i know i would

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-16-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Damn dude. Thank god nothing got stolen and If i were there i would have beat the *** out of them... I need to start emptying my car. I keep alot of valuables inside. ALL THE TIME!!..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
Damn dude. Thank god nothing got stolen and If i were there i would have beat the *** out of them... I need to start emptying my car. I keep alot of valuables inside. ALL THE TIME!!..
so buddy where do u live?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Pro

lol I live in NYC and honestly am cleaning out my car first thing in the morning. My car has been broken into. Old school method break glass LOL, after owning it for about a month. Seems like I can't learn my lesson sadly.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

And nothings happened? U must live in the nice part of nyc then? (Scratching my head lol). When i lived there had 2 cars stolen, 1 broken into and my dash completely ripped apart for my tv), broken windows for a gps and a buttload of bootleg CDs off of Napster (lord do I feel old now ahaha...).
Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Carpe Ominous

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
lol I live in NYC and honestly am cleaning out my car first thing in the morning. My car has been broken into. Old school method break glass LOL, after owning it for about a month. Seems like I can't learn my lesson sadly.
I don't keep anything visible in my car. I clean out my car every weekend/ days off. I hate having shit in my car.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Pro

My driveway is very narrow and my car is parked right next to my room. Only thing keeping us apart are cheap wooden walls. lol. You need to really squeeze yourself to get inside too. I also have a sleeping "issue" and wake up to the slightest noise so ya.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
holy hell man i hope you catch those bastards.

I would've whipped out my cell phone and started taking pictures of their faces just in case..Obviously not overtly of course.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I think it'd be a wise decision not to go back to that track, just incase that's their usual hotspot. Go to zmax instead. I.A.-FTW! lol
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
If you used your remote to lock the doors initially, they may have sniffed your code at the time. Once you left, they could spoof your FOB and open the car. Yes this is possible.

Next time, don't use your remote to lock the door- use the manual lock switch instead and you'll be good. I only use my FOB to unlock the car and never to lock the car any more.
The following users liked this post:
SSMTL04 (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
^^ +1

I started manually locking my car whenever I go out at night or in a sketch area. It amazes me the length people go through to make a buck. Hope everything's in order with your car.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Sorry to hear, luckily you got there in time and no damage.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Very sorry to hear but glad no damage or things stolen.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Damn that sucks...I always make sure I am far enough away from my car before I put my keys in my pocket for the fear of unlocking or the windows rolling down. That would be my only guess as to how they got in without any alarm going off...could have been way worse but I would be paranoid myself if I was in your shoes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
damn son glad everything is not terrible
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
tyler, does your TL auto-lock after a certain amount of time? or do you have to lock it manually or with your keyfob when leaving the vehicle?

the guys that did this to your car probably do it to a lot of cars at that track, and other places where nicer than average cars frequent/park for extended periods of time. they saw your car, saw it was unique and modified, and decided to take a stab at it.

how they got into your car, who knows? you may have inadverntanely hit your keyfob while leaving the car OR at some point during your stay. when you saw these guys, did they seem like the kind of people capable of copying your keyfob freq? or did they seem like a couple of dumbasses that got lucky with an unlocked car?

sorry you went through this, but like everyone else said...you got lucky. most people don't witness this kind of stuff when it happens. i know i didn't when my car was stolen years back.

oh, don't go to that track again. those guys prey on people like you with nice cars. thats why they go to the track.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow dude, that is so sickening to hear and it makes you pissed off and helpless at the same time. When my '05 had gotten broken into, they went through the glass but didn't pop the lock. I'm very baffled as to how there were no prints on the doors even if they were able to pop the locks without the alarm going off.

After seeing that and paranoia sitting in, I'd get a wireless webcam with night vision and point it towards your car if you're worried that they'll come back. Also, do you keep your glove compartment locked? Anything of value in the trunk as well? If so, disable the trunk release so only your key fob has access.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
sorry ty.
i still love you.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I am sorry to hear such a thing happening to you Tyler. If you don't already have an aftermarket alarm system, I say invest in one . This is one of the many reasons why I don't go out to places where I have a bad gut feeling of something happening to my ride.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Being that they parked near you they might have a sniffer when you locked the car. They probably just waited for you to talk away and decided to unlock it when you were far. Did you notice the Buick when you were parking your car?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Sorry this happened to you but at least nothing was damaged or stolen. I'd freak the hell out if I saw someone trying to molest my car.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your support and comments. I'm not going to reply to each post individually but I'll try to answer any questions that have been asked.

I was the 5th car to park in the lot, the Buick was nowhere in sight. I parked, got out, locked the door with the fob, and didn't come within ~150 feet of the car until I saw the two guys in it.

My keys were in my pocket but I was standing most of the time, rarely sitting down or walking, so I'm not sure how I could have hit the unlock button. Plus the batteries in my remote are dying so I have to smash the button to make the car do anything anyways.

The guys I saw looked pretty stupid. One was about 5'9", skinny, and had long braided hair. The other one was 6'2" or 6'3", short hair, but was probably 300 pounds. Both had drinks in their hands and were (at least acted like they were) intoxicated; i.e. stumbling around saying "oh fuck, where did I fucking park?" when they had just walked from the car a few seconds before.

I thought about calling the cops but I can't prove anything, and by opening my door handles I probably took away their fingerprints if they had left any. BUT I did speak to an officer on the way home about what happened. I stopped at a gas station since the lights were on so I could look around the car more. I stuck my hand under the bumpers and under the side skirts to see if they put anything there but it was clean. An officer pulled into the lot next to the gas station and I waved him down. We discussed what happened and he said he wasn't surprised, but that I was lucky for not having anything stolen. He said "yeah it's a different type of breed of people down there", but sadly with no proof or nothing being taken, he couldn't do anything.

With being at school and not having an income, it's hard to justify the money on an aftermarket alarm, and cameras can't be done because I'm in an apartment complex.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
2004 SSM FTMFW !!!!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car getting broken into, good thing nothing was stolen
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Who else was waiting for the part where Tyler beat them down?

Sorry to hear dude.
My car is always empty - no water bottles, no ipod or anything. Actually, I have a few coins in the armrest.
The worst a theif could do to me is only to the car itself, as in gutting it or driving it away.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, hopefully they just really were drunk idiots and not necessarily professional thieves. Maybe it was somehow open already and they were just fumbling around in their stupidity & thought it was funny they were in ur car. Prob too drunk to think to open the compartments to get ur stuff. Does ur complex have assigned parking? When i lived in Cary mine did but there was a visitor's spot right in front of my window with a better view so always parked there
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had similar experience, but worse. Someone broke my left rear passenger side window, and stole the front airbag, computer related to the airbag, and driver's seat belt.

Fixed under insurance, and I installed Viper alarm system. It sucks.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
^ That ain't random. Must be some super pro thieves.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, that sounds terrible. I would flip out if I saw people rummaging through my car. Ever seen Girl with Dragon Tattoo movie? That's the kinda feeling/revenge I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm thinking either they cloned your frequency, you mistakenly left it unlocked, or they've got something crazy we don't even know about. No matter what, I'd avoid bringing your car there for a while.

On a side note, I have a camcorder with pretty decent zoom on it I bring with me practiacally everywhere I go - such as a race track. I would have done the exact same thing as you, but handed the camcorder to a friend who's got a clean line of sight to the car and perpetrators, until you arrive, which could be all the evidence you'd have needed to send the guys in jail.

So now remember don't go home and give her a shower - go right to the police and ask for a 'rape kit'.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:16 PM

There's no way I left the car unlocked. I know for a fact I locked it before walking away and that the Buick was nowhere in sight when I locked it.

My apartment complex does not have assigned parking but I try to park in the same spot every time.

I spoke to a family member who's in law enforcement and he said that many car manufacturers have a "master key" that when used, can open any car of that make. He said that both Mercedes and BMW have those type of keys and that the only way to get one is to have someone from a dealership get the key.

Also something else to worry about is them writing down your VIN # and taking your vehicle registration, because then they can take that information to the dealership and request a new key. He said that can't be done for every car make and model but he's seen it done before.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32

I spoke to a family member who's in law enforcement and he said that many car manufacturers have a "master key" that when used, can open any car of that make. He said that both Mercedes and BMW have those type of keys and that the only way to get one is to have someone from a dealership get the key. .
So true. I actually did know that, don't know why didn't cross my mind til u mentioned it. Supposedly Honda's and Acura's are the easiest to get a hold of. Go figure lol. I never understood why they don't just make a key with a chip in it?? My last car was a Chrysler P.O.S. pacifica for God sakes and even that one had a chip in it! LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Yikes that would have my blood boiling. I don't like this idea of a "master key".
Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by MissAlyyTL
So true. I actually did know that, don't know why didn't cross my mind til u mentioned it. Supposedly Honda's and Acura's are the easiest to get a hold of. Go figure lol. I never understood why they don't just make a key with a chip in it?? My last car was a Chrysler P.O.S. pacifica for God sakes and even that one had a chip in it! LOL
Acura does have chips in their keys, as do Hondas. It's the immobilizer system.

The key might just have a "master chip"

edit: but this is for ignition only. I suppose you can open the door with a non chipped key. I feel that's probably the same for the Chrysler.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-16-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Viper 5901 is what you need.
If you have a nice car and mods you have to secure your vehicle and investment.

I get your a student as I am as well but put aside some money and you'll have enough in no time.
It sucks that you got to dish out extra $ to protect your car but its the reality of the world we live in.

I personally would never own a car without a proper Viper Alarm system. (My first mod is always this)

If your going to get one make sure you get one with a battery backup unit mounted somewhere hidden.
This way thieves who will try to cut the power via battery are SOL and the alarm will continue to go off.

Doesnt hurt to add a few extra Piezo sirens as well
Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ez12a
Acura does have chips in their keys, as do Hondas. It's the immobilizer system.

The key might just have a "master chip"

edit: but this is for ignition only. I suppose you can open the door with a non chipped key. I feel that's probably the same for the Chrysler.

Ohh ok cool! <--dumb blonde lol. I guess i just assumed that since the key was so tiny & puny it didn't, my a6 key as well as the pacifica keys are both huge! U know what they say when you assume... lol

Quick Reply: Someone Broke Into My TL...