AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Sold my '07 TL, bought a '18 IS350 F Sport. Impressions. (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/sold-my-07-tl-bought-18-is350-f-sport-impressions-974812/)

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 07:36 AM

Sold my '07 TL, bought a '18 IS350 F Sport. Impressions.

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I sold my TL to my daughter (she really needed a car), and had designs on a new TLX. I went to the dealership specifically to buy one, in fact, but it didn't turn out that way.

For a few years I've been contemplating making the move to a new car, but was waiting as long as I could since the TL was paid off, and only has 117,000 miles on it. Then my daughter needed a car, and it seemed like all the used cars I was looking at for her were pretty terrible, and way too expensive, so I decided to sell her mine for cheap and get a new car.

TLX Impressions:

The TLX test drive didn't got as well as planned. I didn't like the new shift mechanism at all, and the car seemed nearly as loud as my 2007 TL. Don't get me wrong, I loved my TL, but I would have hoped they made some improvements in the quiet/soft attributes of the car. It felt like a mix between my 2007 TL and my wife's 2015 RDX (which is fantastic), but not a marked improvement over my 2007 (very sad). Then there's the styling, and I have to say, it's a huge step backwards IMO from my TL, it's a massive car, and the lines don't flow nearly as nicely.

I had been contemplating a new car long enough to whittle the choices down to either a new TLX or a Lexus IS. It just so happened that the dealership I went to had both, and my salesman could show me both cars, so that's what we did.

Lexus Impressions:

First, I'm like a LOT of people that HATE the new front end styling of the Lexus brand, to me it's just terrible. However, the IS seems to be less terrible than most, and the rest of the styling almost makes up for it. I think it's also not so bad in black, which I chose. Visually it's a significantly more striking car than the TLX IMO, and looks much more sporty. I wasn't looking for a real sports car, I have a Lotus Exige as my toy, I was looking for something that could be a great daily driver for 20+ years, but be sporty at the same time.

Getting in the car I was relived to find a normal transmission selector, and everything (other than the dash) seemed to be a step up from there. Just a wonderful environment to be in, honestly, with a much more sporty and visually appealing feel than the TLX.

Yes, it has some well-documented shortcomings, like no sunglasses holder, no memory seat (F Sport), unappealing dash, terrible navi/infotainment system, bad cup-holder placement, and a hump on the transmission tunnel where your right calf is. The hump feels like someone touching your calf here and there while you're driving (weird). But apart from those things, the environment is vastly better than the TLX IMO.

So, with the exterior and interior winning, I took a drive. Wow, just wow. More power, more luxury, better steering, quieter, better sound (didn't bother with the radio), just better in every single way. I'm also a smaller guy, so the more fitted feeling interior was a plus for me as well. The choice was made that quick. And it didn't help that the car's reliability is better than probably anything that Acura has ever made. It has dynamic toe, so it eats tires, but I can live with.

The final nail in the Acura coffin? Even though the sticker was roughly $5000 more than the TLX, I bought the IS350 for less than what I could have purchased the TLX for. Things that make you go hmmm...

Having lived with the IS350 a few weeks now I can say that I miss some things about my old TL for sure. It was easier to get in and out of, easier to store things in, and more friendly, for lack of a better word. I also much prefer the seating position, the dash and all the controls, and my body position on long drives. But all in all, I'm sure I made the right choice. Maybe one day Acura will impress me again. I sure hope so.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/visualechos/, on Flickr

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/visualechos/, on Flickr

justnspace 11-12-2018 07:40 AM

Fantastic write up!
the IS wheel set-up looks great from the factory, any plans of doing what you do best!?

Jakes_tl 11-12-2018 08:32 AM

I think the IS looks awesome! Has a clean aggressive look, even the factory wheels look nice.

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16330887)
Fantastic write up!
the IS wheel set-up looks great from the factory, any plans of doing what you do best!?

In pictures the 18's work ok, but in real life they are obviously too small for the car. It's almost like the car was designed without wheels and tires, and then the designers were like, oh crap, we forgot wheels and tires. Here, let's just stick these on.

By the same token, 20's are obviously too big on the car. 19's are just what the doctor ordered. It's not like the TL was, where it really depends on the wheels chosen, the color, etc. This car needs 19's.

So yeah, already ordered my 19's for the car...in flawless fitment...10" in the back...with a 275 tire :D.

justnspace 11-12-2018 08:50 AM

:bow: You have great taste and know your stuff. Cant wait to see it!!!

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16330929)
:bow: You have great taste and know your stuff. Cant wait to see it!!!

I went though the entire wheel/tire thread the day after I got the car, just so I'd be informed, and secretly looking for my flavor of wheels. I just got lucky that the wheels I chose could be made in custom offsets, so flawless fitment was just a matter of figuring out the exact specs, working backwards from the tires I wanted.

The other cool thing is that the suspension is so good on these cars that only broken-suspension slammers buy coil-overs, everyone else just gets lowering springs. It's a $300 issue, so very lucky there.

I'll post a pic here when I get the wheels on.

https://photos.smugmug.com/IS350/i-5...L/AFF02-XL.jpg

Yoggibearlegend93 11-12-2018 09:38 AM

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm currently in the market for the TL Type-S 6 spd. I agree the TLX is not a upgrade. Great photos!

sockr1 11-12-2018 11:10 AM

congrats!! excited to see what you do with this one regarding wheels/tires. need more pics of the car!

i have not driven the TLX but i have no desire to. acura has been an embarrassment since 2008, so i'm happy to hear about the new gen tlx coming out in model year 2020. if the tlx type s looks halfway decent, i'll be picking up a used one in 2023 (trying to get 5 more payment free years out of my 08 type s)

sounds like the IS is perfect for you!

6MTSSR 11-12-2018 01:22 PM

Nice car. My 07 type S has 172k is near perfect and is dead reliable.But again the miles.I too am considering the Lexus.Had recently drove a service loaner 18 Aspec TLX and honestly the car isn't much better than my S, Bigger question is will the '20 type S really arrive and will it be better than the outgoing model.For Acuras' sake it better be.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...5a897dae28.jpg
today......

truonghthe 11-12-2018 02:14 PM

lol after all the junk Acura has to offer lately (beside the RDX) I don't count much on the 2020 TLX-S. The only issue with me on the IS is that navi sit way to low for the seat, I found that I have to hunch up to see the map and that dam touch climate controller.

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6MTSSR (Post 16331087)
Nice car. My 07 type S has 172k is near perfect and is dead reliable.But again the miles.I too am considering the Lexus.Had recently drove a service loaner 18 Aspec TLX and honestly the car isn't much better than my S, Bigger question is will the '20 type S really arrive and will it be better than the outgoing model.For Acuras' sake it better be.

What a fantastic looking car bro. But I'd argue with the dead-reliable part, they have their share of problems, and even though I'm a Honda fan, I have to concede that the Toyota is vastly better build quality.

6MTSSR 11-12-2018 02:44 PM

Thanks! Have to agree on the Toyota reliability.My wife is Toyota all the way 200O SOLARA V6 288K traded in for a new 08 Avalon 255k J

6MTSSR 11-12-2018 02:47 PM

Thanks! Agree TOYOTA is the most reliable my wife had the following new...2000 solara v6 255k traded in 08 Avalon 233k,just traede in on a 18 Highlander...nothing but brakes tires and oil changes...my wife will not buy any other car lol.

sockr1 11-12-2018 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16331152)
lol after all the junk Acura has to offer lately (beside the RDX) I don't count much on the 2020 TLX-S. The only issue with me on the IS is that navi sit way to low for the seat, I found that I have to hunch up to see the map and that dam touch climate controller.

the rdx is the only relaunched version so far. so that's a great sign when the first "re-branding" model is good. the other models have not gone through their transformation yet, they all will though

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16331225)
the rdx is the only relaunched version so far. so that's a great sign when the first "re-branding" model is good. the other models have not gone through their transformation yet, they all will though

We love our 2015 RDX, damn thing has more growl than my new IS, and works fantastic in every other way. Sadly, the 2019 didn't impress me at all, it was so damn busy inside I couldn't even get to the test drive. I DEPLORE the new Civic, like engineering vomit, and the new RDX reminds me of that inside. But our 2015 is superb (just wish it was built as good as Toyota).

sockr1 11-12-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16331232)
We love our 2015 RDX, damn thing has more growl than my new IS, and works fantastic in every other way. Sadly, the 2019 didn't impress me at all, it was so damn busy inside I couldn't even get to the test drive. I DEPLORE the new Civic, like engineering vomit, and the new RDX reminds me of that inside. But our 2015 is superb (just wish it was built as good as Toyota).

yea 2015 was a solid year! we have the mdx from 2015 and absolutely love it!
interesting what you said about the rdx interior for 2019, i've only heard amazing things about it, but sometimes cars do get too busy.

you have a pretty good car stable haha

m95roadster 11-12-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16330932)
I went though the entire wheel/tire thread the day after I got the car, just so I'd be informed, and secretly looking for my flavor of wheels. I just got lucky that the wheels I chose could be made in custom offsets, so flawless fitment was just a matter of figuring out the exact specs, working backwards from the tires I wanted.

The other cool thing is that the suspension is so good on these cars that only broken-suspension slammers buy coil-overs, everyone else just gets lowering springs. It's a $300 issue, so very lucky there.

I'll post a pic here when I get the wheels on.

https://photos.smugmug.com/IS350/i-5...L/AFF02-XL.jpg

Congrats on a fine automobile! I feel a vehicle of this caliber deserves something nice! Take a look at these wheels: The V-FF 103 Wheel Flow Forged Wheels & Custom Rims | Vorsteiner Wheels , reasonably priced too! I have them on my BMW and love them.

VisualEchos 11-12-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16331266)
yea 2015 was a solid year! we have the mdx from 2015 and absolutely love it!
interesting what you said about the rdx interior for 2019, i've only heard amazing things about it, but sometimes cars do get too busy.

you have a pretty good car stable haha

I just like smooth, elegant, you know. It seems like cars are just getting so busy, something going on in every corner. Looks cheap, like things are added just to be added.

Originally Posted by m95roadster (Post 16331276)
Congrats on a fine automobile! I feel a vehicle of this caliber deserves something nice! Take a look at these wheels: The V-FF 103 Wheel Flow Forged Wheels & Custom Rims | Vorsteiner Wheels , reasonably priced too! I have them on my BMW and love them.

I considered about 4 different wheels, but the Ace won hands-down. There was a pretty nice Velgen wheel too, but the Ace is very high quality for a non-forged wheel.

Now I just need to sell my Miro's from my TL.

PhilB81 11-12-2018 09:27 PM

Enjoy your new car!
That last picture with the clouds looks great! The wheels too :)

i have not had much experience with Lexus, but my parents had one for 11 years and that car still felt rock solid when they sold it. No rattles, only issue is the past 6 years or so it sat outside all the time and the soft plastics on the door felt a little sticky.
The TL with similar treatment would look and feel much worse I’m sure.
So enjoy it for many years and in good health!

Pair of TLs 11-12-2018 09:53 PM

New wheels

:mantis: :woot:

Midnight Mystery 11-12-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16330887)
Fantastic write up!
the IS wheel set-up looks great from the factory.

Aggreed!!!

thoiboi 11-14-2018 12:54 PM

The IS is an amazing daily driver.. I don't blame you for doing it. :love: The lines are much better than the TLX and I would do the same when I'm in your shoes in the future.

Congrats on the new car Andrew! :cheers:

thoiboi 11-14-2018 12:55 PM

I'd buy your stock wheels and put them on my 07 IS350 in a heartbeat :tomato:

P.S. what's the offset/width? :biggrin: Did they go back to a square setup or is it still staggered?

cblock406 11-14-2018 01:38 PM

That photography is EXCELLENT, wow. Congrats on the new ride too!

VisualEchos 11-14-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16332637)
I'd buy your stock wheels and put them on my 07 IS350 in a heartbeat :tomato:

P.S. what's the offset/width? :biggrin: Did they go back to a square setup or is it still staggered?

Still staggered. 18 x 8 +45 and 18 x 8.5 +50

I'd sell them to you, but I'm keeping them for my Winter set. You know how I am about Winter/Summer tires lol

thoiboi 11-14-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16332906)
Still staggered. 18 x 8 +45 and 18 x 8.5 +50

I'd sell them to you, but I'm keeping them for my Winter set. You know how I am about Winter/Summer tires lol

:tomato:

Should have known... :doh:

Really sexy car though, love it regardless of the grill design :love: enjoy it in good health! :cheers:

Joecop67 11-14-2018 06:58 PM

I like the new grille design. I wish my 2013 Camry had it.

Midnight Mystery 11-14-2018 09:44 PM

Boi's and there 350s!!!

Costco 11-14-2018 10:09 PM

Highly approve of the new daily. I remember your photography posts and your Exige :love:

There's a guy at one of my buildings who dailies an Exige. Mad lad

VisualEchos 11-14-2018 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Costco (Post 16333090)
Highly approve of the new daily. I remember your photography posts and your Exige :love:

There's a guy at one of my buildings who dailies an Exige. Mad lad

I used mine as a daily driver for the first 3 years, didn't have a choice. Glad I do now!

The Shadow.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Boosejars 11-15-2018 09:52 AM

Andrew! Long time brother! Sorry to see the TL go, but the IS is good pick up mang! Still keeping up with your photos on IG - keep pushing homie!

VisualEchos 11-15-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Boosejars (Post 16333212)
Andrew! Long time brother! Sorry to see the TL go, but the IS is good pick up mang! Still keeping up with your photos on IG - keep pushing homie!

Thanks bro!!!

sockr1 11-15-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16333222)
Thanks bro!!!

what's your IG? i need to add asap!! i'm ortizee_type.s

VisualEchos 11-15-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sockr1 (Post 16333242)
what's your IG? i need to add asap!! i'm ortizee_type.s

visualechos I think

lol

You can tell by all the Lotus pix haha

3sleeper3 11-15-2018 06:31 PM

What a great thread, long time lurker here, your pictures makes me proud to be a TL owner as I have a pristine 06 with less than 100k.

I've long admired the IS, built in Japan, ultra reliable, and besides the proven V6, the 2.0 turbo is decent and can easily be upgraded. I actually like the new TLX styling, engine is fine, it's the outsourced Getrag 9 speed I dislike. Looking forward to possible turbo engines in 2020 with maybe that new 10 speed transmission or possibly the 7 speed dual clutch from the RLX.