Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So an 06 A-spec just got traded in..... very tempted

Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So an 06 A-spec just got traded in..... very tempted

So we just took an 06 A-Spec in on trade here at the Honda dealer I work for, I'm tempted to put my 05 base TL up for sale at a lower price to sag this A-spec. The car is on the whole sale lot due to mileage and I know they didn't give much for it on trade in. I checked out the outside and its not bad for the age, interior is pretty decent could use a good cleaning. It is a 6 speed manual which I like because of the Brembo's, though I prefer my auto for being lazy during the commute lol. I haven't driven it or racked it yet but I know it needs a Nav drive or disc, error message on start up. The mileage though is 190,8xx, so the higher mileage kinda scares me bc I don't know the history of the car. My 05 TL I know I'm the second owner, I've got a binder of maintenance records as well with mine, also I'm only at 162,2xx. My TL had a reman transmission installed july 2018, so I know thats good. Just don't know if its worth moving to the 06 A-spec for just cosmetics, and minor upgrades. If it was an 07-08 I'd be more willing to make the jump so I could have the back up camera, better nav and other upgrades.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion
Old 05-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MyGuti View Post
Not worth it in my opinion
I agree.

If you're too lazy to shift gears, you're not going to want to deal with the dust from the brembos either. So far, I've never had a situation where I thought to myself "Ohh man am I glad I had brembos, otherwise stopping would have been an issue.
Actually, when my front pads needed replacing i went with Duramax C-MAX pads. That's just me though. My TL is a daily driver, I don't drive like a hooligan, so to me they aren't needed.
All it buys me is when I talk cars with "the guys" I get to say: "Oh ya, I got Brembo brakes.... and limited slip diff... and a cassette player..." which immediately promotes me to Alpha status.

On a serious note though, the knowledge you have of your car and how it's been treated, in my eyes, has more value than aspec kit or Brembo brakes. With older / high mileage cars like that, I feel like I'm just buying someone else's problems.

Last edited by PhilB81; 05-09-2019 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mongold88 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
Choose the devil you know and pass unless you can pick it up for stupid cheap (<1,000) and turn it into a project car, rebuild and keep your auto.
The following users liked this post:
mongold88 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 365 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81 View Post
If you're too lazy to shift gears, you're not going to want to deal with the dust from the brembos either. So far, I've never had a situation where I thought to myself "Ohh man am I glad I had brembos, otherwise stopping would have been an issue.
Actually, when my front pads needed replacing i went with Duramax C-MAX pads. That's just me though. My TL is a daily driver, I don't drive like a hooligan, so to me they aren't needed.
All it buys me is when I talk cars with "the guys" I get to say: "Oh ya, I got Brembo brakes.... and limited slip diff... and a cassette player..." which immediately promotes me to Alpha status.
C-MAX for sure. They stop the car fine...not nearly as much initial bite as the OE pads, but your rims aren't dirty the moment you back out of the garage. I hated my rims being black 2-3 days after washing the car. And the LSD? That is for sure one of the main reasons I don't mind driving my TL in the winter. I have managed to never get it stuck....yet. And the only reason I can even make it up my driveway sometimes is because I am not sitting there with just one wheel spinning in the snow/ice.