AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   So an 06 A-spec just got traded in..... very tempted (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/so-06-spec-just-got-traded-very-tempted-979403/)

mongold88 05-08-2019 03:40 PM

So an 06 A-spec just got traded in..... very tempted

So we just took an 06 A-Spec in on trade here at the Honda dealer I work for, I'm tempted to put my 05 base TL up for sale at a lower price to sag this A-spec. The car is on the whole sale lot due to mileage and I know they didn't give much for it on trade in. I checked out the outside and its not bad for the age, interior is pretty decent could use a good cleaning. It is a 6 speed manual which I like because of the Brembo's, though I prefer my auto for being lazy during the commute lol. I haven't driven it or racked it yet but I know it needs a Nav drive or disc, error message on start up. The mileage though is 190,8xx, so the higher mileage kinda scares me bc I don't know the history of the car. My 05 TL I know I'm the second owner, I've got a binder of maintenance records as well with mine, also I'm only at 162,2xx. My TL had a reman transmission installed july 2018, so I know thats good. Just don't know if its worth moving to the 06 A-spec for just cosmetics, and minor upgrades. If it was an 07-08 I'd be more willing to make the jump so I could have the back up camera, better nav and other upgrades.

MyGuti 05-08-2019 09:19 PM

Not worth it in my opinion

PhilB81 05-09-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by MyGuti (Post 16423572)
Not worth it in my opinion

I agree.

If you're too lazy to shift gears, you're not going to want to deal with the dust from the brembos either. So far, I've never had a situation where I thought to myself "Ohh man am I glad I had brembos, otherwise stopping would have been an issue.
Actually, when my front pads needed replacing i went with Duramax C-MAX pads. That's just me though. My TL is a daily driver, I don't drive like a hooligan, so to me they aren't needed.
All it buys me is when I talk cars with "the guys" I get to say: "Oh ya, I got Brembo brakes.... and limited slip diff... and a cassette player..." which immediately promotes me to Alpha status.

On a serious note though, the knowledge you have of your car and how it's been treated, in my eyes, has more value than aspec kit or Brembo brakes. With older / high mileage cars like that, I feel like I'm just buying someone else's problems.

08KBP_VA 05-10-2019 06:53 AM

Choose the devil you know and pass unless you can pick it up for stupid cheap (<1,000) and turn it into a project car, rebuild and keep your auto.

Jackass 05-10-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by PhilB81 (Post 16424112)
If you're too lazy to shift gears, you're not going to want to deal with the dust from the brembos either. So far, I've never had a situation where I thought to myself "Ohh man am I glad I had brembos, otherwise stopping would have been an issue.
Actually, when my front pads needed replacing i went with Duramax C-MAX pads. That's just me though. My TL is a daily driver, I don't drive like a hooligan, so to me they aren't needed.
All it buys me is when I talk cars with "the guys" I get to say: "Oh ya, I got Brembo brakes.... and limited slip diff... and a cassette player..." which immediately promotes me to Alpha status.

C-MAX for sure. They stop the car fine...not nearly as much initial bite as the OE pads, but your rims aren't dirty the moment you back out of the garage. I hated my rims being black 2-3 days after washing the car. And the LSD? That is for sure one of the main reasons I don't mind driving my TL in the winter. I have managed to never get it stuck....yet. And the only reason I can even make it up my driveway sometimes is because I am not sitting there with just one wheel spinning in the snow/ice.

reddogTL 10-30-2019 12:35 PM

Congrats on the new car. Love the color + wheel combo. Looks like you just need tints to top it off.

I sat in the G70 at the dealer when I was getting my wife's Santa Fe serviced. The seats with the nappa leather are quite comfy.

gatrhumpy 10-30-2019 01:19 PM

Stay away...

LoveMyTL-S 10-30-2019 01:50 PM

Sounds like you already talked yourself out of it..........

90foxnotch 10-31-2019 10:11 AM

Send a link so we can look at pictures-the 6mt's are kinda hard to find. So worth the wait when you do some small mods

CLtotheTL32 10-31-2019 10:12 AM

Pass.

Infanity 10-31-2019 12:42 PM

Stick with your car bro

horseshoez 10-31-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch (Post 16499334)
Send a link so we can look at pictures-the 6mt's are kinda hard to find. So worth the wait when you do some small mods

Even better if you don't do any mods and preserve the value of the car.

WDPanda 10-31-2019 09:00 PM

The 6MT is definitely something that makes the TL even more fun. My favourite is the LSD. It gives nice, even power to both front wheels in wet/snowy/sandy conditions. The Brembos look nice and resist fade, especially high speed braking. The transmission is the last thing you worry about. Simple to diagnose, very little down time. The gearing ratios are also very nicely done.

wusty23jd 11-08-2019 08:04 AM

Any pictures OP or any updates with your decision?