Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side motor mount bracket/ water pump cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Side motor mount bracket/ water pump cover

found out a I have a broken side motor mount. went to take it off and realized the support bracket that covers the water pump is loose because all three bolts broke off. To clarify it is not the bracket that attaches directly to the mount. its the support bracket that connects to the side of the motor right under the power steering pump pulley. The weird thing is that I can not find that bracket or its bolts on any parts diagrams! I tried the mounts page, water pump, and timing belt. It looks like it might bolt right onto the water pump housing IDK. but i know the bracket that popped covers the water pump.

can any one who has done a timing belt and water pump replacement tell me if the three bolts that broke off from that bracket bolt onto the water pump housing? and can someone help me find the bracket and bolt part numbers. they are long bolts by the way maybe 6 inches over all.

here is the bracket im talking about, you can see to the left of the upper hole, one of the bolts that popped out. all three are broken somehow. I think I broke them using the breaker bar to get the side mount off. idk honestly.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here you go--Part #5.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks @boringNBP

so yesterday I got that bracket off (part #5) I just have no Idea how im going to get those broken threads out with such little space, not to mention preserve the timing belt. Im letting some penetrating oil sit in in right now.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, extracting three broken 10mm bolts in that space will be extremely challenging.

As you can see in the diagram the female threads are in the block; the water pump is simply drilled to allow the 10mm bolts to pass through it as required.

The PS pump is easy to move out of the way, and that will improve your access to that area of the engine.

How much of the broken bolts is sticking out?

With the engine installed, if drilling is required, I could see a right angle air drill fitting in there, but it would hard to drill straight.

You may want to consider dropping the subframe/engine in order to do this (if you can't remove the bolts with vise grips, etc).
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Those bolts are inside the side mount bracket, so remove the covers, remove, I believe 3 17mm bolts along with the bracket, and either replace with a new bracket or screw around with the broken bolts. Personally, I'd get a new one along with a couple new bolts.

Last edited by Turbonut; 04-24-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Just wanted to add, if the timing belt/water pump etc hasn't been done in some time, or closing in on the 80/100k mile mark, might want to consider doing the complete job while apart.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, but the picture is a little old. I've had the PS pump off for 2 days now. So the bracket is off, cracked the lower timing belt cover in the process. there are three bolts for the bracket pictured above they are 14mm. the top two broke and the entirety of the threaded portion are lodged deep inside. the bottom bolt came out in one piece, but took the threads of the block out with it unfortunately. Ive got some decent pic for yall to see exactly what im dealing with. Now what the hell should I do about this? im afraid to screw this up. there is not alot of room to work. What is the best wat to approach this.

two upper bolts ont top of water pump, both broken and threaded part of bolt still inside

lower bolt where the whole bolt came out and took threads

on top is one of the upper bolts and the bottom is the shorter lower bolt (you cant see the threads that it stripped out on it cause i cleaned it off)

Last edited by Fatfrii; 04-25-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I now see what you are faced with. I'd say remove the pump and get a better look. Might be able to remove the broken bolt and as far as stripped threads, check to see if any threads remaining at bottom where a slightly longer bolt could be used, if not, guess a helicoil, timesert would be needed. Not much room in the area to work, so may need to go with the option posed by Boring NBP, right angle drill, or dropping the assembly down to better work on the area. Many years ago used strips of copper to repair small holes in aluminum where the threads were gone, but not on large bolts. If you had 2 out of the 3 to carry the load would mind trying the copper, but you have all three with a problem.

They are blind holes, so whatever you try, make certain you mark the drill bit so that it doesn't go any deeper than the original depth.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP did you ever come to a solution to the issue? I currently have only the lowermost bolt with the threads stripped inside the block only. Not as bad as a situation as yours, but I'd still appreciate any help if you've come to a solution by now.

And to any others that may or may not have encountered this before: how vital is it that I need to have the lowermost bolt repaired as soon as possible? If the top two bracket bolts are torqued properly and holding, will I encounter any issues driving daily while I come to a solution for the lower bolt?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:00 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look into using alum to dissolve bolt. Test the broken bolt in alum to see how long it takes to dissolve. I believe alum will not harm aluminum but will corrode steel.