3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I try to service the car myself or goto the dealership? First post!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by piggydog
avoid dealer at all costs

Amen. Spend time on this site and learn everything you can. Get the proper tools and learn to do things correctly. And please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. We are here to help as much as we can.

BTW, welcome aboard.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well....I just called the dealer, and he quoted me 145 bucks for the B1, looks like this will be my first attempt at doing some maintenance on the car- looking forward to it. Going to pick up some full synthetic 5w-20, 5qts worth, and a filter. oh, and how can I get the B1 in the MID to stop notifying me once I complete it? thanks alot,

J.O.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by jeowen
well....I just called the dealer, and he quoted me 145 bucks for the B1, looks like this will be my first attempt at doing some maintenance on the car- looking forward to it. Going to pick up some full synthetic 5w-20, 5qts worth, and a filter. oh, and how can I get the B1 in the MID to stop notifying me once I complete it? thanks alot,

J.O.
Glad to hear.. Get a good filter & oil.. There is a procedure.. I think you turn the ignition to the [i] position.. go to trip computer and hold down the set / reset button for 10 secs.. Then hold it down again for 10 secs.. something like that. Search and you'll find it in the Oil Change DIY threads. I have it written down in my manual for reference b/c I always forget.. I usually figure it out after a couple attempts or else I look in the manual.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ron A
Excerpted from page 196 of the owner’s manual

If maintenance service is done by someone other than your Acura dealer, reset the display as follows:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

3. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.
If you are sure you want to reset the display, press the Select/Reset button to select “OK” [I think you hold down ~10 secs as well.. I do it anyways]
If you do not want to reset the display, press the < or > button to select “Cancel”
^ from the man (bold part is my edit)..
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ much thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
yea...I helped/taught a friend a couple weeks ago change his oil on his RDX (he bought it used..had it done by the dealer a few times)...This was his first time he himself was doing it. and well...The bolt came off with some effort, and as i was unthreading it, it got caught up a few times where i needed to use the socket wrench to get over a "hump". When i looked at it, the crush washer was in fact CRUSHED down and would not free itself from the bolt...the motherfucker was deformed onto the bolt! Not to mention, a thin sliver of metal shavings came off the bolt itself...

Yea..We did this on a sunday. No dealer open. So i just cleaned off the bolt and put it back for now. No leaks, but next time, its a new drain bolt with crush washer in that sucker.
I hate to say it but I would let the dealer do the next oil change just in case the threads in the pan are damaged. Make them replace the pan if need be.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron A View Post
Excerpted from page 196 of the owner’s manual

If maintenance service is done by someone other than your Acura dealer, reset the display as follows:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

3. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.
If you are sure you want to reset the display, press the Select/Reset button to select “OK” [I think you hold down ~10 secs as well.. I do it anyways]
If you do not want to reset the display, press the < or > button to select “Cancel”

This is good to know. When my car hit 40,000 miles a code appeared on the dash, so when I took it to the dealer they wanted to do a tire rotation/brakes/oil change service. I told them to just change the oil (cost $10) because I just got my rims and tires the previous week and my BBK would be in on the following week, so no need to check those parts. Initially they weren't going to reset my code because they said they would be jeopardizing Acura policy blah blah blah, so unless I paid a fee (forgot how much) they wouldnt reset it. But they said "we'll do it this time but next time we'll charge you", ahh how nice of them, f***ing aholes! Dealers suck ass! I went through hell with Subaru but I didn't sue because I heard from many (Subie) owners that you'll end up getting f***ed in the end, since then I have always been weary of dealerships. DIY or find a good certified Acura/Honda mechanic. Good luck and welcome OP!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah avoid dealers their only good for geting a car usually i change my own fluids and rotate my tires stuff i take it to a all honda acura shop its alot cheaper and they do a really good job plus they lend u a car for free for the day im in nor cal if your from this area ill give u the info if u need it
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by JOSER408
yeah avoid dealers their only good for geting a car usually i change my own fluids and rotate my tires stuff i take it to a all honda acura shop its alot cheaper and they do a really good job plus they lend u a car for free for the day im in nor cal if your from this area ill give u the info if u need it
The acura dealer I take my car for service is excellent-They go out of their way to be helpful and are not that over-priced. They also give me a loaner car while my car is being serviced. I think it excellent that you do you own maintenance on your car. I have no desire to do it.
By the way you typed your answer-you must text alot.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
The acura dealer I take my car for service is excellent-They go out of their way to be helpful and are not that over-priced. They also give me a loaner car while my car is being serviced. I think it excellent that you do you own maintenance on your car. I have no desire to do it.
By the way you typed your answer-you must text alot.
yeah ther great haha thats funny i dint realise it i guess i must lol
Old 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM
nkb
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
If you're serious.. you should also probably get the service manual for the TL (~$60 on ebay) as well and search for DIY threads in the 3G Garage.
Any recommendations on which service manual to get on ebay? I see a bunch of different ones, not sure which is the most useful.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Get the hard copy manual, not the electrical one. Get the nicest, cheapest one you can find. It's like 2000 pgs so make sure you calculate the shipping estimate as well. I think I saw a searchable pdf version available for sale but I don't know if anyone has reviewed it. I have the non-searchable pdf for the TL & I have the hard copy as well for both my X & TL. The non-searchable pdf is good for quick reference but it's missing some pages and you have to scroll to the index to find the appropriate page & section.