Originally Posted by Flipster23
That's $ 14,500 CDN right?

I believe you said you were in Canada?

11k USD is still pricey for a TL IMO.
it basically equals out to be the same
Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
If you find a clean-CLEAN and unmolested Type-S 6MT with relatively low mileage (say 160,000 kms or less), then $11,000 USD is a very good price.

Last edited by horseshoez; 03-12-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joecop67
very nice TL expect I love western Canada. It would be a a week drive. Not really worth it

Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Toplican

very nice TL expect I love western Canada. It would be a a week drive. Not really worth it

Last year when I was shopping I quickly extended my search to the full "Lower 48"; I nearly bought a car in the San Francisco Bay area before finally closing a deal on a (relatively) nearby car in Connecticut. A 1-week drive to me in a newly purchased TL is a vacation in and of itself.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Last year when I was shopping I quickly extended my search to the full "Lower 48"; I nearly bought a car in the San Francisco Bay area before finally closing a deal on a (relatively) nearby car in Connecticut. A 1-week drive to me in a newly purchased TL is a vacation in and of itself.

This was the same story for me, I willing to offer top $$$ for a legit clean TL-S MT but with the exact color combo wanted, however i came up with mostly trash. And the clean one sold like within minute of listing.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Advanced

that would be amazing man. I’d love to see half of the USA and make it a nice vacation. But work gets in the way. I don’t get everything handed to me on a silver platter. Gotta work for everything. Gotta pay the bills but don’t get me wrong , id love to snatch a clean TL from anywhere just money and work can be an issue
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually found mine local to me surprisingly. However, I was actually looking forward to flying out across the country and spending a few days driving back home.

To the OP. ... Have you had a chance to drive one yet?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cwood1388
I actually found mine local to me surprisingly. However, I was actually looking forward to flying out across the country and spending a few days driving back home.

To the OP. ... Have you had a chance to drive one yet?
yes ive driven a a 06 base which was pretty sick. And then I was gonna buy one here a couple years back. 08 type S. I really liked it just took t around the block never actually stepped on it. So not quite sure how it is. But the guy was selling it for 18K which is a lot
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Fluvial Geomorphologist

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
If you're really interested in alternatives, the IS-350 was on my short list. It's in the same price range, a bit faster and RWD. I needed the extra room and liked the looks of the TL-S better so that's where I went. If I wasn't 6'6" and didn't need to fit car seats, I probably would have gotten the Lexy.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
i drive a Honda Accord right now.
The TL is just a fancy Accord. If you like how the Accord drives and the overall reliability...the TL will be similar. Slightly stiffer ride, quieter cabin, and depending on which engine the Accord has...either a crap load more power or just a bit more.

what ? I’ve been driving since 15 I’m 23
So you still have been driving fewer years than many of us have owned our TLs.

Manual vs Auto...that will always be personal preference. I actually despise being in an auto even in traffic. When in creeping crawling traffic, increase your distance to the car in front of you and just leave it in 1st or 2nd...I rarely touched the brakes when in traffic.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

There is a Type S that is only a weekend trip away from you (i assume you are in a major city in Alberta), with low miles. It is a manual if that is still an option you are considering. The car probably isn't mint but it has been for sale for at least 3 months. The price has been dropped some already and I bet if you showed some interest you could get the price down some more. I don't live in Saskatoon otherwise i would offer to look at it for you.

How open are you to higher mile cars? There are a few type s cars for sale in Alberta that i would not call high mile cars. example: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Jackass
I actually despise being in an auto even in traffic.
When I'm "driving" a car with an automatic transmission I feel like I'm a passenger, even if I'm sitting in the front left seat.
Jackass (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgoodsy
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

There is a Type S that is only a weekend trip away from you (i assume you are in a major city in Alberta), with low miles. It is a manual if that is still an option you are considering. The car probably isn't mint but it has been for sale for at least 3 months. The price has been dropped some already and I bet if you showed some interest you could get the price down some more. I don't live in Saskatoon otherwise i would offer to look at it for you.

How open are you to higher mile cars? There are a few type s cars for sale in Alberta that i would not call high mile cars. example: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
i do live in Edmonton and I’ve seen all of these I’m really interested in the manual one. And the Edmonton one the person dropped the price since I checked last
Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

I see. I nearly test drove the black manual in Saskatoon when i was looking for a car. I ended up buying an auto base TL instead. I was/am in the same boat as you, the only auto car i had up till now had a manual trans swapped in shortly after I bought it. I am to the point now where the manual trans doesn't do that much for me in a huge majority of my driving, and it is nice that i can let my wife or friends drive and not really worry about them knowing how to drive a manual.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Advanced

I see. I nearly test drove the black manual in Saskatoon when i was looking for a car. I ended up buying an auto base TL instead. I was/am in the same boat as you, the only auto car i had up till now had a manual trans swapped in shortly after I bought it. I am to the point now where the manual trans doesn't do that much for me in a huge majority of my driving, and it is nice that i can let my wife or friends drive and not really worry about them knowing how to drive a manual.
Im glad someone understand. Don’t get me wrong I love shifting through gears and downshifting. Instantaneous power , but sometimes can it get annoying. But I’ll take your guys word. I’ll try and look for a manual transmission instead. But at the same time I don’t wanna spend 15K on a manual when I could potentially get a cheaper one with maybe less Km But be auto
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Latent car nut

Fortunately for couples like my wife and me, neither of us ever learned how to drive an Automatic.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Im glad someone understand. Don’t get me wrong I love shifting through gears and downshifting. Instantaneous power , but sometimes can it get annoying. But I’ll take your guys word. I’ll try and look for a manual transmission instead. But at the same time I don’t wanna spend 15K on a manual when I could potentially get a cheaper one with maybe less Km But be auto
yeah i get it. I used to be a manual enthusiast and i still am, just not necessarily for my daily commute. I have an old motorbike that i can shift my own gears if i want.

Fortunately for couples like my wife and me, neither of us ever learned how to drive an Automatic.
Haha i like that! My wife did express interest in learning to drive a manual when we were dating but my car was right hand drive, so that deterred her. Just the other day i wondered about buying an old manual beater car just for her to learn on. a person could probably find a good deal on one and sell it for the same money when they were done!

OP, on the topic of reliability these cars are good from what i have read but they are not without their little issues. My car has failed mirror actuators that make the memory seat/mirrors funky, a headlight that does high beam only, and an amplifier that makes a squealing noise when it is cool. These are apparently common issues that I have found in my first few months of ownership, and while they don't stop you from getting from point A to B they can be annoying and aren't free to fix. I also suspect my fuel pump may be giving up soon which isn't unheard of either. All this said i really do enjoy driving my car, it looks good, has enough power to be fun when i want, i really comfortable and has a back seat suitable for adults and gets decent fuel mileage.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced

yeah i get it. I used to be a manual enthusiast and i still am, just not necessarily for my daily commute. I have an old motorbike that i can shift my own gears if i want.

Haha i like that! My wife did express interest in learning to drive a manual when we were dating but my car was right hand drive, so that deterred her. Just the other day i wondered about buying an old manual beater car just for her to learn on. a person could probably find a good deal on one and sell it for the same money when they were done!

OP, on the topic of reliability these cars are good from what i have read but they are not without their little issues. My car has failed mirror actuators that make the memory seat/mirrors funky, a headlight that does high beam only, and an amplifier that makes a squealing noise when it is cool. These are apparently common issues that I have found in my first few months of ownership, and while they don't stop you from getting from point A to B they can be annoying and aren't free to fix. I also suspect my fuel pump may be giving up soon which isn't unheard of either. All this said i really do enjoy driving my car, it looks good, has enough power to be fun when i want, i really comfortable and has a back seat suitable for adults and gets decent fuel mileage.
well that’s just like any car you buy. Nothing can be perfect. I was just wondering if the car is any good. As in performance. Reliability , etc .. I’m really interested in the Type S , love the looks. I just saw a post before a made this one. Guy asked what performance mods he can do to he TL and literally everyone said just buy a new car.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

that's exactly right, these cars are not new and with the amount of features they have things are bound to fail. My opinion is an echo of what others have said already, there are other cars that are faster or more comfortable or better looking etc, but the TL is a very well rounded package. It isn't a rockstar at any one thing but does lots of things very well.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced

that's exactly right, these cars are not new and with the amount of features they have things are bound to fail. My opinion is an echo of what others have said already, there are other cars that are faster or more comfortable or better looking etc, but the TL is a very well rounded package. It isn't a rockstar at any one thing but does lots of things very well.
thats one of the reasons it catches my eye. I’m a Honda guy myself. Best manufacture if you ask me. Nothing beats Japan.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts

thats one of the reasons it catches my eye. I’m a Honda guy myself. Best manufacture if you ask me. Nothing beats Japan.
I can name a few that can beat it now.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

OP, why do you want a Type S? Why not just a base?

Just curious.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Advanced

I can name a few that can beat it now.

please don’t say ford
Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced

OP, why do you want a Type S? Why not just a base?

Just curious.
The base compared to the TL-S is a big difference to me. Looks are much cleaner and meaner on the type S better tail lights better suspension. So to me I might as well buy the better one and spend that extra 5 grand then buying a base model and doing everything myself.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

The base compared to the TL-S is a big difference to me. Looks are much cleaner and meaner on the type S better tail lights better suspension. So to me I might as well buy the better one and spend that extra 5 grand then buying a base model and doing everything myself.
YOu can change all that and it will only take you a day.

If you're swapping out suspension anyways.

Type S tails and bumper. I mean if those are the only things you're comparing.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

please don’t say ford
No.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Latent car nut

FWIW, the 2004-2006 6MT models have suspension tuning very similar to the Type-S models.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
FWIW, the 2004-2006 6MT models have a very similar suspension setup to the Type-S models.
The 04-06 MT and Type-S also shared the same larger 4-piston brake calipers, limited slip differential and stiffer roll bars than the AT's. Other than the engine, the Type-S MT's and 04-06 MT's were almost mechanically identical.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

OP don't want manual anymore though.

So he is going to have to pay for extra for a Type S.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
Ive owned my 07 type S 6mt about a year now. I was looking for something to daily drive during the summer, my other cars are a f150 for winter and my street/strip car is a foxbody. The type s fits the bill perfectly. It is quick, handles well, interior is nice, and the biggest pro is the good looking body. I was not looking for a really fast car but one that was quick with decent gas mileage because I have the mustang to go fast. No, it is not the fastest and budget friendly with performance mods but it is no slouch. I surprised my friend with an e85 tuned fiesta ST when I beat him roll racing 3 times in a row. Main thing is to look for a well maintained TL with documentation. When I purchased mine it already had the timing belt and water pump replaced. I definitely recommend this car to anyone and hope this info helped. Cheers.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

^Foxbody.

One of my favs....
90foxnotch (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Nothing beats Japan.
Especially the car that is built in Ohio.

My wife learned to drive my MT car within the first few months of dating. I have also had two of my teenage nieces ask me about teaching them how to drive a MT. If I wasn't already worried about my clutch going out, I would gladly teach them on my TL.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
Especially the car that is built in Ohio.

My wife learned to drive my MT car within the first few months of dating. I have also had two of my teenage nieces ask me about teaching them how to drive a MT. If I wasn't already worried about my clutch going out, I would gladly teach them on my TL.
I'm 30 minutes from the honda plant. My cousin works there. Plus we have the Buckeyes. Let's not disparage Ohio. Lol
Btw, I too have primarily owned hondas. Also have been a painter in a body shop, having taken cars apart and put them back together, there is a big difference in quality between American cars and japanaese. Even Japanese cars made in the states.

Last edited by Joecop67; 03-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced

YOu can change all that and it will only take you a day.

If you're swapping out suspension anyways.

Type S tails and bumper. I mean if those are the only things you're comparing.
yea of course that’s all easy work. But at the same time type S is a bit faster. Better engine. Plus those rims.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Advanced

OP don't want manual anymore though.

So he is going to have to pay for extra for a Type S.
It’s not that I don’t ant manual. It’s if there’s a cheaper TL-S with lower Km I’d rather get that.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
Ive owned my 07 type S 6mt about a year now. I was looking for something to daily drive during the summer, my other cars are a f150 for winter and my street/strip car is a foxbody. The type s fits the bill perfectly. It is quick, handles well, interior is nice, and the biggest pro is the good looking body. I was not looking for a really fast car but one that was quick with decent gas mileage because I have the mustang to go fast. No, it is not the fastest and budget friendly with performance mods but it is no slouch. I surprised my friend with an e85 tuned fiesta ST when I beat him roll racing 3 times in a row. Main thing is to look for a well maintained TL with documentation. When I purchased mine it already had the timing belt and water pump replaced. I definitely recommend this car to anyone and hope this info helped. Cheers.
move heard the same thing from a bunch of people. The TL is amazing just another reason why I’d want to get one
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts

You remind me of my dad, I bought a 91 Legend as my first car and before I see the car my dad took the car everywhere he goes. I asked why he like the legend (he used to had a legend too) He replied driving a AT makes me feel like being disabled.

Better at doing what? I owned my Type Slow for almost 7 years already (still own the car) and I can tell you the difference in performance isn't that wide of a gap. Its not like when you compare IS350 vs ISF, 335i vs M3, C350 vs C63 AMG, CTS vs CTS-V (BTW I drove all of those car)

In straight line you won't notice a difference unless you are medal to the metal at mid to high RPM band, cornering ability is about the same unless you do trail breaking and turn in at 45 MPH at 90 degrees turn then the Type S has a bit of advantage but the trade off is that 07-08 Base TL give you better road bump isolation where in the Type S you will feel almost every single road imperfection. I now driving 3 difference cars every day between the TL-S, TL and RL. Braking for street use I would prefer the single piston over Brembo caliper for feel (those who drive Base AT and MT/TL-S will know what I am talking about).

Type S does have a nice sound during cold start up.

Price really wide in the used car market, many Type S MT I looked wanted 2x or 3x the amount $$$ than my newly Base TL.

Originally Posted by losiglow
The 04-06 MT and Type-S also shared the same larger 4-piston brake calipers, limited slip differential and stiffer roll bars than the AT's. Other than the engine, the Type-S MT's and 04-06 MT's were almost mechanically identical.
And don't forget the free flowing exhaust system

Originally Posted by Joecop67

I'm 30 minutes from the honda plant. My cousin works there. Plus we have the Buckeyes. Let's not disparage Ohio. Lol
Btw, I too have primarily owned hondas. Also have been a painter in a body shop, having taken cars apart and put them back together, there is a big difference in quality between American cars and japanaese. Even Japanese cars made in the states.
I agree with the statement above, we test drove couple 06-08 TSX before buying the TL and surprisingly the built quality in the TSX actually exceed my TL (please don't get confuse with material use) the fit and finish of the TSX is so good even the leather seat is so much thicker than the TL. 3g TL interior isn't slouch but when compare to my RL I can now see why one worth $39k vs $50k.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Team Owner

yea of course that’s all easy work. But at the same time type S is a bit faster. Better engine. Plus those rims.
Waffles you can find.

You said you don't care about performance.

I can't see how someone says they will spend 5k extra for a tiny bit of performance, some OEM waffles, tail lights and Type S bumpers.

Maybe it's me being logical. Maybe.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Waffles you can find.

You said you don't care about performance.

I can't see how someone says they will spend 5k extra for a tiny bit of performance, some OEM waffles, tail lights and Type S bumpers.

Maybe it's me being logical. Maybe.
i don’t care about performance. Not trying to make my car 500 hp. But if I was to get a base TL I would put some headers injectors exhaust intake suspension. Why waste my time and someone else’s when I can spend the extra 5 k get a manual Type s and be set you know ? Does that make logical sense ? The only thing I would change on the TL type s would be exhaust. Can’t choose between ATLP or Xlr8

Quick Reply: Should I get a TL Type S