Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping TL - question about steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping TL - question about steering wheel vibration

I've begun shopping for a new car and the 2004-2008 TL is/was at the top of my list.

Let me start by saying I currently drive a 1999 BMW 528i. While not apples to apples (after skimming through this forum), I'd have to say it shares similar finicky characteristics when it comes to road feel, wheel balance and tires. My car drove me nuts until I figured out certain road imperfections can make my steering wheel shimmy. Actually, it still drives me nuts! A change of tires to Conti DWSes turned it into a floaty marshmallow and I had to switch back to Michelins.

Anyways, when there's a shimmy, you know the steering wheel actually moves, however small, you can feel and see it. That is different from the feel of the road that is transmitted through the steering wheel. The constant vibration you feel that adds to the "connected to the road" feel.

When I test dove a 2008 TL base today, I noticed 2 things: wind noise and strong steering wheel vibration. The wind noise I read about here and elsewhere, and I'm a little disappointed. But I could probably live with it. I have wind noise from the windshield in my car, but the TL had that plus the side windows.

Anyways, what really caught my attention was the steering wheel vibration. It was strong enough that I could see it getting tiresome over a long trip. The steering wheel didn't move/shimmy (ala bent/unbalanced wheel), but the vibration was a lot more pronounced than anything I've ever driven. It only stopped when the car stopped. So, is this normal for a TL?

I saw one forum discussion that mentioned the driveline might be the issue, but I hoped to maybe get more varied experience or answer this way. As I was driving, I wondered if it was the tires, but I just don't think tires would cause it. It was running Bridgestones. I realize everything is subjective, but maybe somebody can relate.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by BC93
When I test dove a 2008 TL base today, I noticed 2 things: wind noise and strong steering wheel vibration. The wind noise I read about here and elsewhere, and I'm a little disappointed. But I could probably live with it. I have wind noise from the windshield in my car, but the TL had that plus the side windows.
The TL should be pretty quiet-- are the Carfax and title clean on the TL, i.e. no big wreck(s) or salvage title?
Does the TL have the original acoustic-layered windshield?
Check the lower right corner for an Acura or Honda symbol. If not, glass was replaced...

Anyways, what really caught my attention was the steering wheel vibration...a lot more pronounced than anything I've ever driven. It only stopped when the car stopped. So, is this normal for a TL?
No!
Steering wheel vibration is not normal for any car in good operating condition.

It sounds like wheel/tire issues, if not axles/half-shafts.

I'd pay someone to do a pre-purchase inspection if you aren't comfortable or familiar with inspecting cars.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
+1

TL is quiet.

Steering wheel doesn't vibrate unless something is wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses!

I was test driving at a dealer, I certainly don't trust their mechanics 100%, so I would figure to have someone else take a look at the car. Carfax and looking it over it was clean/straight, but I'd still have a pro look at it. I'm a bit ocd and careful, so I research the heck out of things before doing anything; hence the forum search and posting.

I didn't say the TL wasn't "quiet". The front windshield wind noise was what it should be ~ same as my car= muted. With the side windows however there was wind noise, where my car doesn't have that problem. It wasn't gale force wind noise. Just elevated compared to my car and a Lexus I tried. I wondered if it was the door or window gasket. Where I sit, my ear is closer to the upper and back edges of the door. But, from my test drive, I think it's a design flaw, which again, is not to say it is loud or a horrible car. Just not something my car does. Again, not an apples to apples. Overall, yes, the TL is quiet. And definitely no road noise.

Noise is one of those subjective things. Yes, the TL is quieter than a standard mid-size sedan. As it should be as a near luxury/luxury car. But, try out a Lexus ES, like I did today too. That is far more quiet than either the TL or my car. The problem is that it drives like a whale and the seats are meh for comfort and the leather feels cheap...

Oh, and the TL exhaust note is great. Took me a second as I was accelerating to figure out what it was. For a split second I thought, ugh, that rear differential or suspension groan sounds bad. Then I realized, wrong car! That's the exhaust! It's enough to let you know it's there, but not overbearing.

Just to be clear. When you drive, you should feel the road hum in the steering wheel, right? You feel that the tires are connected to/rolling down the road. right? You should feel the road through the steering wheel, but not every grain of sand on the road, right? That's what it felt like. It felt like the road feel was amplified. There was no phyiscal shaking of the steering wheel, just harmonics(?). I'm trying to think of a comparison... damn subjectivity... it felt like my car feels if I hit a bunch of those rumble strips on the highway and that buzz just goes right up the steering column into my hands. It's fine when you hit the occasional rumble strip, but to drive around all the time with that would get tiresome and hand numbing.

I'm sorry. I'm just trying to get as clear an answer as I can for whether it's normal and something I'll just have to get used to or if there's something wrong with the car.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
It felt like the road feel was amplified. There was no phyiscal shaking of the steering wheel, just harmonics(?). I'm trying to think of a comparison... damn subjectivity... it felt like my car feels if I hit a bunch of those rumble strips on the highway and that buzz just goes right up the steering column into my hands.
That sounds like worn tires or directional tires turned the wrong way.

The steering feel on a TL should actually be about the same as or a little more numb than your 5-series and the TL should require slightly more turning effort than the 528i, based on my hazy recollections of driving an auto-trans 528i.
The following users liked this post:
BC93 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Honda has never been known to be a "quiet" in-cabin car. There has always been road noise. But I will admit they are getting better and the 3g TL is by far the quietest Honda I have sat in yet.

As far as steering wheel, mine pulls right but I found a broken mount. Otherwise it is not a shaky steering wheel.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the responses.

Will Y. - That was my thought exactly, as far as how the steering should feel. The turning effort was exactly as you described. Just that vibration I wasn't sure on and couldn't figure out. Well, now I know something to look out for.

Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Good luck with the search. Steering wheel vibration could be a few things.