Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak in the gas tank? or evaporation?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak in the gas tank? or evaporation?!

Hi, I've had my TL now for about 5 or six months and through all that time I've had very low gas milage. Right now, I'm averaging 14 miles per gallon, and about 3 months ago I was averaging 16. Also, I've tried calculating my MPG manually and it all checks out: I get 150-200 miles per tank. I don't drive with a brick in my shoe, nor do I use SS. The thing which makes me think that there is either a leak in my gas tank is that I'll park my TL with a full tank of gas and come back a few hours later to find that the gas meter's needle has gone down. Not enormously, but just enough for me to notice . Also, the distance estimator in the trip calculator is always at a lower number when I come back to the car.

I haven't been to a dealership because I don't know which ones are good for service around my area (90004 Los Angeles), and because I'm afraid that if I take it to a dealership, they'll give me a pos loaner, or they won't give me anything at all because I'm only 16.

So, I'm seeking your advice before I take it into a dealership. Is it normal for this to happen? Sometimes I leave my car out in the sun for a whole day before I get back in it, but I've never heard of gas evaporating from the tank... Do you guys think there is a leak in the tank?
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tosei
Hi, I've had my TL now for about 5 or six months and through all that time I've had very low gas milage. Right now, I'm averaging 14 miles per gallon, and about 3 months ago I was averaging 16. Also, I've tried calculating my MPG manually and it all checks out: I get 150-200 miles per tank. I don't drive with a brick in my shoe, nor do I use SS. The thing which makes me think that there is either a leak in my gas tank is that I'll park my TL with a full tank of gas and come back a few hours later to find that the gas meter's needle has gone down. Not enormously, but just enough for me to notice . Also, the distance estimator in the trip calculator is always at a lower number when I come back to the car.

I haven't been to a dealership because I don't know which ones are good for service around my area (90004 Los Angeles), and because I'm afraid that if I take it to a dealership, they'll give me a pos loaner, or they won't give me anything at all because I'm only 16.

So, I'm seeking your advice before I take it into a dealership. Is it normal for this to happen? Sometimes I leave my car out in the sun for a whole day before I get back in it, but I've never heard of gas evaporating from the tank... Do you guys think there is a leak in the tank?
First off, it there was a leak there would be a stain under you car were the gas has leaked (dark patch with a gas smell).

Some of th things notice with the milage indicator, Starting it up and idling will reduce the distance.

You do not need to drive with leadfoot and if you are taking off quickly from stops or trafic lights you are consuming more gas then taking it easy.

Try to drive it easy for a full tank of gas and record your milage. This is what the dealer will do to determine if something is wrong.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by frenchnew
if you are taking off quickly from stops or trafic lights you are consuming more gas then taking it easy.
I wish this was applicable to me. I don't take off fast, in fact, I drive like a granny for a kid my age. I always try and keep the RPMs as low as possible, and most of the time I'm cruising without my foot on the pedal, so I don't think it's my driving style. Thanks for your input though
Old 08-21-2005, 12:14 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I've found that with all my Honda products that have gas needles that "rest" when the car is off, they never return to the same position when you start it back up. It is frustrating, but I think it's just refreshing it. Doesn't the TL (and all cars with gas gauges that go all the way down when turned off) use microprocessors to measure the fuel capacity?

But this doesn't explain the range thing, and I'd have the car checked out. Using premium fuel?
Old 08-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Using premium fuel?
That would be my best guess, using regular octane gas will decrease your gas milage, also I have a 02 TL Type S with mods and I can easily manage to get at least 17 mpg and I hit VTECH quite a bit, so I would say something is up. like he said make sure your using premium fuel.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:41 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by joshrsmith2411
That would be my best guess, using regular octane gas will decrease your gas milage, also I have a 02 TL Type S with mods and I can easily manage to get at least 17 mpg and I hit VTECH quite a bit, so I would say something is up. like he said make sure your using premium fuel.
I'm using the best gas that I can get around my area: 91 octane
Old 08-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

What type of driving you do? City driving with lots of stop and go? Mixed driving? Or, do you spend a lot of time on the highway. If I were you, I'd fill it up, take a half-day trip somewhere and back and see what kind of mileage you get on a full tank.

If you're still getting poor mileage, I'd take into the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Huh? I am not sure what your question is, as you are a bit all over the place - I was when i was 16, so no worries.

1) I think the fuel issue is your driving style. I can get 26 MPG in suburban driving but I granny foot the car most of the time. You have obviously a heavier foot - maybe not lead, but certainly not aluminum. Perhaps Foot of Steel?

2) MPG is affected by all sorts of variables, including weather, traffic flow, time of day, etc. Isn't there huge traffic in LA? That si the worst for fuel economy. Remember, this is a heavy car, and the power band is limited down low. Best fuel economy is in upper gears. Do you race up to redlights, then have to brake hard? Do you coast down hills?

Do you cut off the engine if sitting for more than a minute?
Do you know what MPG you get at idle? answer: ZERO! You would be surprised how many people pause before answering that one.

3) No, your fuel is not evaporating. For many years (before you were born), cars have had sealed systems to eliminate air pollution fom evaporative loss of highly volatile gasoline

4) Use of premium vs regualr fuel will have only a tiny effect on fuel economy - those who think differently do not understand the science of fuel and spark mapping. The diff between a TL on premium vs regular is a handful of HP/torque, and most of the power loss is at high RPM, so day to day effects are reduced

5) then 5 months ago you were in Spring, and now it is summer - compressor use is higher during summer, load on engine greater, fuel economy lower. Even in LA, right?

Is there something wrong with you car? Unless you have had, or now have, a hard OBD II indicator, I doubt there is anything wrong with your car that would affect fuel economy. A trip to the Dealer might be a waste of time, but what is this Dealer anxiety issue you have? Did u buy the car from an LA dealer - have you searched for a dealer recommendation?

16 or not, you should be treated properly - treat them as you would want to be treated, or make your appt first, with a level set that you will need a loaner. Are you the registered owner, or is it Dad's car?

I am not sure what the Dealer's insurance underwriter has to say about young drivers, but it seems to me that a licensed driver/owner any age should be able to get satisfaction.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When you drive and stop your car... things are hotter....

its sits there for a few hours and those things are now cooler....

heat expands....

same principle as tires.... when they are hot, higher pressure, when they are cold, lower pressure but the same amount of air....

fuel tank does the same thing.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two big things that impact your fuel economy are the coolant temp sensor,
and the maf sensor.
It IS possable for one of those to be off a bit, without setting a check engine
light or code.

Air pressure in the tires, driving style, altitude, type of gasoline in your area,
driving with 2 feet with an automatic, plugged up air filters, heavy air con use,
lots of short trips at low speed, all those things impact your mpg.

I still see quite a few 2 foot drivers, doing 60 mph with their brake lights on most of the time.
Those people can not understand why they get poor fuel economy and have
to buy new brakes so often....

Brett
Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
When you drive and stop your car... things are hotter....

its sits there for a few hours and those things are now cooler....

heat expands....

same principle as tires.... when they are hot, higher pressure, when they are cold, lower pressure but the same amount of air....

fuel tank does the same thing.

How would this effect his fuel level...? It really wouldn't. Hot or cold the amount of gas in his tank would remain the same. The fuel gage/sending unit does not work on pressure yet volume. Pressure can build in the gas tank but the only way that pressure could effect his gage is if the pressure was great enough to significantly change the physical dimensions of the gas tank etc.. Not the case..

Tosei,
Bottom line, most likely it's just the fact that your car is "burning" that much gas and/or small anomalies in your gage/sending unit etc.
I would not rule out a leak, but if you can't smell it, don't see anything on the ground after the car sits, or can't find any signs/stains on the under pan covering the tank area (and fuel line path),, you probably don't have one.

Keep an eye on it and/or bring it up to your service adviser.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If for some reason gas WERE leaking out of your tank (or being siphoned out, or whatever), the trip computer wouldn't be aware of it. If that were the case, the trip computer indicated mpg would read a lot higher than your calculated mpg.

Like others have said, though, your chances of this being a leak are pretty small.