Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple motor oil...HOT DAMN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Done it many times, no change in mileage. Why would the mileage change as the A/F ratio is maintained by the ecu?
funny I have had an almost first hand experience....

my aunt had gotten a brand new honda accord back in 1998 and to baby her she was putting premium fuel in the car....just to get shitty gas mileage...

after couple months she called honda and asked them the reason, they asked her to put regular oil and see the difference....after going thro 1-2 tanks on regular the gas mileage went up and stayed there....

when she took it in for the next service and mentioned this incident the mechanic said "the engines are tuned for regular gas, but pumping in premium you are wasting money on the gas and reducing you mileage"....

I was a kid back then and didnt care much about the issue but the incident stuck in my head....
Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm just fine using a Dino.

Another oil thread
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM

and when i got a notification of the you posting, I was like "crap, here comes the ban hammer" LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ to be honest- everyone has been quite civil here. No need to warn or ban anyone.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

my aunt had gotten a brand new honda accord back in 1998 and to baby her she was putting premium fuel in the car....just to get shitty gas mileage...

after couple months she called honda and asked them the reason, they asked her to put regular oil and see the difference....after going thro 1-2 tanks on regular the gas mileage went up and stayed there....

when she took it in for the next service and mentioned this incident the mechanic said "the engines are tuned for regular gas, but pumping in premium you are wasting money on the gas and reducing you mileage"....

I was a kid back then and didnt care much about the issue but the incident stuck in my head....
Maybe your Aunt used premium because she took the car to the strip, but you'll find no difference in fuel mileage between grades with the same driving techniques.

Use of higher octane fuel- Let's look at the increase in fuel economy question first. The plain and simple answer is absolutely not, higher octane gas does not effect fuel economy at all. The octane number is a rating that has nothing to do with how efficient it is in moving your car.

The octane rating of gasoline is a relative number showing the amount of isooctane in the gasoline as opposed to the amount of heptane in the gasoline. To make it simple, the octane rating is a representation of how much energy it takes to ignite that gasoline. This octane measurement does not indicate the amount of energy the gasoline produces, which would be an indicator of fuel economy. The final answer is:octane rating and increased fuel economy have no relationship whatsoever!

Does premium gas make your car run better? Once again the simple answer is no, there is no increase in a cars performance with premium gas.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-08-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM

so what gas do you use in your TL ?

what difference does 87 and 93 make ? it doesnt hurt anything to use 87 in the TL engine which demands 91/93....if there is no difference then why is it listed to use 91/93 ?

PS: dont take my questions personally....trying to learn here...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

:rainingontheop'sparade:

aj, do have references for that?

I don't recall seeing UOA's for PP at, say, 5,000 miles.
From what I recall, most of Penzoil is Group 3 base with a ton of additives vs. Royal purple which is group 4 oil

Maybe your Aunt used premium because she took the car to the strip, but you'll find no difference in fuel mileage between grades with the same driving techniques.

Use of higher octane fuel- Let's look at the increase in fuel economy question first. The plain and simple answer is absolutely not, higher octane gas does not effect fuel economy at all. The octane number is a rating that has nothing to do with how efficient it is in moving your car.

The octane rating of gasoline is a relative number showing the amount of isooctane in the gasoline as opposed to the amount of heptane in the gasoline. To make it simple, the octane rating is a representation of how much energy it takes to ignite that gasoline. This octane measurement does not indicate the amount of energy the gasoline produces, which would be an indicator of fuel economy. The final answer is:octane rating and increased fuel economy have no relationship whatsoever!

Does premium gas make your car run better? Once again the simple answer is no, there is no increase in a cars performance with premium gas.
I see what your trying to say but it's a bit incorrect. Octane and Fuel economy have a DIRECT relationship in many modern cars.

A car's engine works on combustion in a controlled manner. A gas with a lower octane rating will ignite more easily and can prematurely ignite before the piston reaches it top position causing knocking and engine damage, especially on HIGH COMPRESSION MOTORS like OURS!!

The car's ECU will sense this damage and retard the timing of the motor to stop the damage from occurring. When it does this the car will naturally produce less power while still consuming the same amount of gas to maintain the fuel to air ratio.

BUT if you use the octane that the manufacturer recommends, like in the TL you use 91/92/93 the timing is not retarded (in most cases unless there are other circumstances) and you get full power and the best fuel efficiency. By putting premium into a car that has a recommendation of regular, you aren't really getting any better gas mileage since the compression is going to be lower and there will be little chance for damage.

what difference does 87 and 93 make ? it doesnt hurt anything to use 87 in the TL engine which demands 91/93....if there is no difference then why is it listed to use 91/93 ?

In short using 87 or 89 can damage the motor in the TL over time because of the knocking. Besides that you will be getting worse gas mileage and actually spend more money in gas!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM

^^^ thanks for the explanation AJ....yeah i asked those questions to prove my point since I could explain my point like you did....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I see what your trying to say but it's a bit incorrect. Octane and Fuel economy have a DIRECT relationship in many modern cars.

A car's engine works on combustion in a controlled manner. A gas with a lower octane rating will ignite more easily and can prematurely ignite before the piston reaches it top position causing knocking and engine damage, especially on HIGH COMPRESSION MOTORS like OURS!!

The car's ECU will sense this damage and retard the timing of the motor to stop the damage from occurring. When it does this the car will naturally produce less power while still consuming the same amount of gas to maintain the fuel to air ratio.

BUT if you use the octane that the manufacturer recommends, like in the TL you use 91/92/93 the timing is not retarded (in most cases unless there are other circumstances) and you get full power and the best fuel efficiency. By putting premium into a car that has a recommendation of regular, you aren't really getting any better gas mileage since the compression is going to be lower and there will be little chance for damage.

In short using 87 or 89 can damage the motor in the TL over time because of the knocking. Besides that you will be getting worse gas mileage and actually spend more money in gas!
If you read the post by swoosh:
my aunt had gotten a brand new honda accord back in 1998 and to baby her she was putting premium fuel in the car....just to get shitty gas mileage...after couple months she called honda and asked them the reason, they asked her to put regular fuel in and see the difference....after going thro 1-2 tanks on regular the gas mileage went up and stayed there....
My reply was that the use of higher octane fuels used in a vehicle that had a regular or 87 octane recommendation, as did his Aunt’s ’98 Accord, would see no difference in fuel mileage if premium were to be used. There was never any intent or any part of the reply that would lead one to believe that a vehicle that had a premium recommendation would be able to survive and maintain the same mileage when using a lesser octane fuel. We can't get any higher octane fuel than premium unless one wants to use race or aviation fuel.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
From what I recall, most of Penzoil is Group 3 base with a ton of additives vs. Royal purple which is group 4 oil

Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Pennzoil Platinum outperforms Royal in the UOA's I've seen.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
If you read the post by swoosh:

My reply was that the use of higher octane fuels used in a vehicle that had a regular or 87 octane recommendation, as did his Aunt’s ’98 Accord, would see no difference in fuel mileage if premium were to be used. There was never any intent or any part of the reply that would lead one to believe that a vehicle that had a premium recommendation would be able to survive and maintain the same mileage when using a lesser octane fuel. We can't get any higher octane fuel than premium unless one wants to use race or aviation fuel.
Ahh I skimmed over that part, my mistake

Originally Posted by mau108

Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Pennzoil Platinum outperforms Royal in the UOA's I've seen.
I haven't seen any of those UOA's... If you PM me a link or something so I can read up on it?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
What kind of oil does the dealership use? I just take it to the dealership for a $30 oil change and car wash. Never asked what kind of oil they use
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
They use Acuras conventional fluid which is grp III. Dont let them wash your car. Search if you wanna know why
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by JORTS
What kind of oil does the dealership use? I just take it to the dealership for a $30 oil change and car wash. Never asked what kind of oil they use
Pennzoil Dino Oil for us. Probably varies from dealer to dealer.
Unless you pay extra for synthetic, then we have Acura synthetic or Mobil 1.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
With octane ratings don't use more then is required & don't use less. Using more is a waste of money & using less will decrease performance, mileage & could damage the engine if the knock sensor is slow or dead.

Any oil that meets the required SAE spec is good to go. I use Mobil 1 but in reality its overkill, but I tend to overrun the change interval & it makes me feel better if I do..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
Realistically, since the TL's engine is fully electronically controlled, would it even be possible to tell if it runs any differently after an oil change? I personally think not.

I use the M1 5W-20 EP by the way (I guess it gives me peace of mind, but dino oil would work just as well).

Said another way, the absolute crappiest oil available now is still better than the best oil of 10 years ago (assuming it follows the SAE standard at present).
I agree. Any changes noted in an oil change are in your head. Most people can't tell the difference when going from a 0w-20 to a 15w-40, how the hell can they tell the difference when going from a 5w-20 to a 5w-20?

Whether a change in operation is noticed when switching to a different oil is high questionable, but why the big deal over the use of Royal Purple? Oil is oil as long as it has the recommended API service designation and changed on schedule.

All the RP HP oils are GF-5 and SN approved for 2010-2011 gasoline vehicles:
0-20
5-20
5-30
10-30

Even the Long Rider 15-40 is not only approved for vehicles through 2010 with a SM rating, but also approved for diesel applications CJ-4

RP 10-40 and 5-40 are SM approved <2010

I'd steer clear of the Long Rider 5-20 and 5-30 as they are SL approved for 2004 and older vehicles.

As I said before, save money and use Dino oil that's on sale, e.g. Formula Shell from BJ's, $1.92/qt, SN GF-5 rating and I load up on it whenever on sale.
Some of the best oils are not API approved, at least not SM and SN due to their higher levels of ZDDP and other anti-wear additives. Redline stood their ground and instead of trying to get an API rating they continue to make one of the best oils out there with "illegal" amounts of ZDDP.

Yes it is a Group III base stock oil so technically its not TRUE synthetic but the additives make up for it. Also it's cheap when it's on sale and it comes in 5qt jug vs 1qt bottles (where to dump my old oil?)
That's assuming they use a better add pack. Additives can only make up for so much. They can't make up for a lower HTHS or just a crappy base oil in general. Why not go for an oil with the better add pack and base oil?

Originally Posted by space_bound
Is it true that if you use fully synthetic motor oil that you cant use any other type later?
Not true.

I get what I paid for, a GF-5 SN Dino oil for less than 2 bucks a qt. In the millions of miles I've driven, never used a synthetic and never an engine lubrication problem, not even with the Turbo rotary (15-40 Shell Rotella). This isn't to say that a synthetic isn't valuable in a harsh environment, extremely low/high but for us Jersey people Dino will do and save me a great amount of money over time, especially with the 4 cars that are presently in the household. Do the math and see the difference, something like putting premium in a car that calls for regular, will it hurt, no, but it certainly will cost more in the end, no doubt about that.
Agreed but isn't it a bad idea to run synthetic in the rotary anyway since it burns oil by nature?

Actually it will hurt....

try putting premium in a car which needs regular and you will hurt the fuel economy....its not always good to overdo or under-do.....
You can run 116 octane in a car that calls for 87 and it won't hurt mileage, only your wallet.

Done it many times, no change in mileage. Why would the mileage change as the A/F ratio is maintained by the ecu?
Exactly.

It hurts mileage and it hurts the internals from pre-ignition. You don't want the charge lighting off before the spark plug ignites it while the piston is still on the up stroke. It causes a massive pressure spike in the combustion chamber which hurts parts such as head gaskets and rod bearings and can knock the ring lands out of pistons. Pre-ignition can lead to detonation too.

UOAs are absolutely 100% worthless in determining wear. Ignore wear metals and concentrate on other aspects of a UOA. I've posted in detail why the standard UOA won't detect significant wear but can pick up oxidation as wear and give a false report. Mobil One was thought to have an iron wearing problem and it turned out to be the UOA picking up oxidation the Mobil was cleaning. Redline also turns in terrible UOAs at first due to the cleaning but it consistently has the least amount of wear during my tear downs than anything else. A particle count is the only way to get an indication of wear. Let's just say 3 times in a row, UOAs in no way even remotely matched up to my teardowns.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by lowlife19
What oil analysis did u look at for that? Either way it's better than running conventional oil....

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so then it did good according to this just overpriced.....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by lowlife19
so then it did good according to this just overpriced.....
The load bearing test in that article was originally designed to test grease. It has no bearing on how an oil performs in an engine. It's been shown that bleach will do better in that test than most oils. I wouldn't put any weight into that test.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I work at a Goodyear and I hear a lot of different opinions about motor oil. I currently have Penn Platinum in my TL but I'm considering the M1 EP. I'm at 75k is it worth changing brands?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BLKACURA
Hi,
I work at a Goodyear and I hear a lot of different opinions about motor oil. I currently have Penn Platinum in my TL but I'm considering the M1 EP. I'm at 75k is it worth changing brands?
Pennzoil Platinum is more comparable to the M1 synthetic in price.
While M1 EP is comparable to Pennzoil Ultra.

You'll be good with any of them. It doesn't matter what mileage your at, If you want to try out a new oil then give it a shot.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have an issue with the OP's excitement over changing to RP. I was using PP 5w20 for several runs and caught RP 5w30 on sale for around $4.50/qt at NAPA. I changed to that and it made the valvetrain much quieter and a smoother feeling engine. (Note: I just remembered a ran bit of seafoam in the oil right before the change so maybe it was attributed to that, although I do not recommend doing this, I was ignorant at the time.) I used RP 5w20 in the next OCI and didn't notice any improvement. Next I will run Redline 5w20 for comparison.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The load bearing test in that article was originally designed to test grease. It has no bearing on how an oil performs in an engine. It's been shown that bleach will do better in that test than most oils. I wouldn't put any weight into that test.
+1