Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RJ Design 3rd Gen TL Kit on car, *OFFICIAL Pics on page 7*

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint

Whose getting their body-kit painted before it ships? Those of you with SSM are you getting the dark gray strip on the rear bumper?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If i were to get the body kit, I would get it primered and all that but not paitned
Old 05-24-2005, 06:59 PM
black on black on bla....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that grill is hot seee if u can make a chrome one somehow
Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkAF
Whose getting their body-kit painted before it ships? Those of you with SSM are you getting the dark gray strip on the rear bumper?
sorry, but for $600, the kit is coming in one color, and no grey strip between the exhaust openings, or up front behind the grille. that would cost too much time. It can be done once you receive the kit no problem and won't be that much. Sorry.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Ron, in the pics we see, in the 2 lower openings. has black mesh been already installed? If i remember correctly (on the pricing page) people would get 2 options, black or silver, or is this something that was bypassed and there's no mesh installed at all?
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Ron, in the pics we see, in the 2 lower openings. has black mesh been already installed? If i remember correctly (on the pricing page) people would get 2 options, black or silver, or is this something that was bypassed and there's no mesh installed at all?
This kit has black mesh, but we are still working out which silver mesh will be used since this style mesh only comes in black.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Weapon X

Okay I gotta have one of those grills.. the Mesh was okay but this one looks better to me.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

RonDog,
Is there a waythat I can just buy the grill? I like the grill alot!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Silky Smooth

yeah he will be selling the grille by itself traid, just wait till he gets them ready for production
Old 05-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by traidsganster
RonDog,
Is there a waythat I can just buy the grill? I like the grill alot!
See, now this brings me back to the reason for making the RonJon Bumper with OEM style grille. So that I can produce a grille that is adaptable to both the OEM bumper and my bumper without modifications or cutting.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:06 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
See, now this brings me back to the reason for making the RonJon Bumper with OEM style grille. So that I can produce a grille that is adaptable to both the OEM bumper and my bumper without modifications or cutting.

Ahhhh... You chose wisely Grasshopper...

Lets get that grille on the market!

Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 PM
.:KCCO:.

Originally Posted by rondog
lets be honest... if you make a good looking grill.... somebody that buys the body kit will prorably want that grill as well. its just another product for you to sell, to make a profit on. theres no shame in being honest about it. you could have automatically incorporated that grill into the body kit. and still made a grill for the people who have the stock bumpers.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
lets be honest... if you make a good looking grill.... somebody that buys the body kit will prorably want that grill as well. its just another product for you to sell, to make a profit on. theres no shame in being honest about it. you could have automatically incorporated that grill into the body kit. and still made a grill for the people who have the stock bumpers.
Do you think it was necessary to basically call this guy "dishonest"?
Would you have rather had Rondog respond to Traidsgangster:

"Why yes you can get the grille separate, because I am so much smarter than you thus designed the two separately in order to garnish as much profit as possible from dumb folks like yourself- my customers......"

You could turn this around several ways. Bumper with grille, bumper without,,, grille only,,,, bumper with OEM etc....??

It was just good marketing sense to design/sell each separate. There is bound to be folks that prefer their OEM grille with the kit vs the other. Why eliminate them from a purchase..

But yes, you're right - You busted him. No-one would have ever considered designing it this way was purely a profit based desicion...

Cheers
Old 05-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
But that would've been silly because I'm sure there are people out there that like the bumper but would not want to change the grill. Then those people are no longer going to buy the bumper. Makes more sense to produce them separately and allow people to purchase the bumper alone, the bumper with the grill, or just the grill. Wouldn't it also suck if you bought the bumper with the incorporated grill, and then along comes a different grill that better suits your tastes? Bottom line is that by incorporating the bumper and grill, you limit people's choices. I fail to see how that's a good thing. I see nothing dishonest about what he said above.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 AM
.:KCCO:.

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Do you think it was necessary to basically call this guy "dishonest"?
Would you have rather had Rondog respond to Traidsgangster:

"Why yes you can get the grille separate, because I am so much smarter than you thus designed the two separately in order to garnish as much profit as possible from dumb folks like yourself- my customers......"

You could turn this around several ways. Bumper with grille, bumper without,,, grille only,,,, bumper with OEM etc....??

It was just good marketing sense to design/sell each separate. There is bound to be folks that prefer their OEM grille with the kit vs the other. Why eliminate them from a purchase..

But yes, you're right - You busted him. No-one would have ever considered designing it this way was purely a profit based desicion...

Cheers

Originally Posted by arex
But that would've been silly because I'm sure there are people out there that like the bumper but would not want to change the grill. Then those people are no longer going to buy the bumper. Makes more sense to produce them separately and allow people to purchase the bumper alone, the bumper with the grill, or just the grill. Wouldn't it also suck if you bought the bumper with the incorporated grill, and then along comes a different grill that better suits your tastes? Bottom line is that by incorporating the bumper and grill, you limit people's choices. I fail to see how that's a good thing. I see nothing dishonest about what he said above.

When did i ever say he was dishonest? you need to look at the big picture. how many body kit manufacturers out there do this? now ask yourself 'why did you come up with that answer?'

i dont have a problem with RJ nor have i ever. i think what he's done is awesome. build an original body kit from scratch. his talent and connections will get him far in life and make him a good amount of money. ive backed him up on numerous things, given my honest opinion about things as well. you just cant tell me that a person who is designing a body kit would keep the grill stock unless he was running out of design time or could not come up with a grill that everybody would like. when you put yourself in a situation where you are replacing a whole bumper, you want a different look. i mean, that is the whole purpose for a person spending so much money on the product and paint as well. you are going for a different look. for those people that spend so much money already purchasing the kit, if they need to purchase the grill as well, im sure they wouldnt be happy about that. if you truly want to give the option of the grill to the customer, you would make the aftermarket grill detachable, but included it with the original kit.

if i buy a bumper, to me, that includes the grill as well. i would personally be upset if the body kit i just bought for a good amount of money and will spend a good amount of money painting uses the stock grill. (which is a huge part of this car)

now you guys are going to come back with "RJ could easily have bumped the price up of the whole kit (including the new grill) to 200 bucks more. Then those people who didn't want the aftermarket grill in the first place are assed out."

fair enough. thats a possibility. my point is that everything i have said is purely my opinion and is based off of what i know of the whole import scene as well as knowing the businesses in the scene. i'm not that old but ive been around it for a long time. you are more then welcome to express your own opinion as well.

RJ, i hope you dont think that i am attacking you. its not you, its just the whole picture. i commend you for taking the initiative for creating a kit that is not even for your vehicle. congratulations on a great outcome. you've earned the money you will make.

Sincerely,

BJ
Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KJSmitty

Ahhhh, thank you, because half of the people who placed a deposit wanted the OEM grille and they aren't even members of the board. and this way you have MORE OPTIONS. I wish you would understand that some products are brought to the market to just bring attention to other more profitable products, like wheels. I sell the Grilles just to put my logo on some cars, it would take 10 grilles to match the profit of 2 sets of wheels, so now that you know my scheme, lol, you can judge me.

A good analogy would be Dodge coming out with the Viper to bring in customers and have something interesting in the line up.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Major manufacturers, I'm talking like Kenstyle, Mugen, Impul, etc, ALL sell their grilles seprately from their body kits. Ronjon is doing the same thing, makes sense, as others have said, it increases the number of options.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts

to RON
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Being that the grill is becoming such an important piece...
have you deviced or thought of a way of preventing the grill from being stolen ?
is it secured from inside ?

Thanks for your great work Ron, the best b-kit / grill on the market so far...
I'm stuffing my piggy bank until I have enough to buy both products.

Imagine my zainoed Anthracite 6MT, painted two tone (silver at the bottom) with the body kit, grill and wheels! --aaahhhh, dream car.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

any way to get the grill without the lil "RJ" logo?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on all the hard work paying off Rondog ... but it's a bit too rice for me. Hopefully 1/10 of all these people that say they "like" it or want to buy it will actually come through on that.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Is it just me or does the RJ body kit makes the TL looks very FAT?
In any case, it's a nice kit
Old 05-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes it does but i like the wider look now if only i can snag someones aspec kit and front bumper cover off this
Old 05-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt

I'm not sure why, but that was hilarious. It just sounded like something my girlfriend would say.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
In any case, it's a nice kit

Wider is better, on cars, not women though
Old 05-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Wider is better, on cars, not women though

and i thought some ppl liked more cushion for the pushin
Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Silky Smooth

the proper word is Voluptuous, and there is nothing at all wrong with a girl with some flavor. cars are another form of women for most guys, and i think this whole wide body craze is a direct correlation to the whole toned woman.

*end of my philosophical comments for the day
Old 05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Shift_faster

This thread is definitely going to some...interesting places.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:00 PM
10th Gear

Unless Ron has had time to make another kit in silver I just saw Jinen's car on a trailer parked and had a chance to stop and have a good look at the kit. Got to say that the front and sides are absolutely gorgeous. The back end isn't quite as good but it works great on the car. I can say that anyone getting this kit will absolutely love it, it really actentuates the lines of the TL and builds upon them. It doesn't detract from it in any bit and makes it even better. Great job Ron.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

And you didn't take pics?!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg S
Unless Ron has had time to make another kit in silver I just saw Jinen's car on a trailer parked and had a chance to stop and have a good look at the kit. Got to say that the front and sides are absolutely gorgeous. The back end isn't quite as good but it works great on the car. I can say that anyone getting this kit will absolutely love it, it really actentuates the lines of the TL and builds upon them. It doesn't detract from it in any bit and makes it even better. Great job Ron.
HAH! first spotting, you should have shot some pics of it. I am dying to see the damn finished thing myself and throw the wheels on the car. I know Jinen is anzious too. I tryed my hardest to blend the kit in with the rest of the car to make it subtle yet upgraded. later.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:15 PM

please dont put the RJ symbol on the front grille it would look so much nicer without it....or at least make it less noticeable- the ac-snitzer bmw keep their logo low-pro but everyone still knows who manufactured it
Old 05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChRiS_nYc
please dont put the RJ symbol on the front grille it would look so much nicer without it....or at least make it less noticeable- the ac-snitzer bmw keep their logo low-pro but everyone still knows who manufactured it
Ac Schnitzer does not keep their name low profile. Look at their website, and look at the cars. They have AC Schnitzer plastered all over them. And they don't make grills, so its hard to compare.

Although the choice of having a RJ logo or not would be the smart thing to do to try and please everyone.

Its all about the options
Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greg S

lucky u!!! i can't wait to see my car...it's been 4 long months, i forgot how it feels to drive the TL lol...i'm longing for it dammit haha...so did you see the car on the top rack of the trailer or on the bottom? i hope it's on the top so that way there are less chances of rocks hitting the car and stuff while the driver is driving from cali to nj...i know i'll find out when he drops the car off but it would help to know in advance lol...
Old 05-30-2005, 08:39 PM

i meant on the actual parts themselves such as the rear spoiler and the rear roof spoiler in the bottom left picture where the logo is a small black badge about 1/4" by 2"
Old 05-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

I had a Schnitzer rear wing on my old M3. The logo was actually stamped into the wing. Coulda painted it if I wanted to make it jump out, but I liked it the way it was. I think the grill for the TL could work the same with a small RJ, but, then, I don't like the grill design at all anyway, so the logo makes no difference to me.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced

RJ Grill and stock hood

I think the RJ grill is in it's infancy as far as design goes. I think the issue is going to be the satin silver trim on the hood. If you remove it, the hood has an indentation. When I last spoke with RJ, they were leaning towards a seamless type grill. So, although it would fit the stock opening the RJ grill may not match up or look right with the hood trim. So you may need to then modify and paint the hood. I asked this question because I was thinking about a CF hood and wanted some direction on if I should modify it for the OEM hood trim piece or leave it as is. Leaving it as is looks terrible without the trim & using the oem grill. I don't know if I want to drive with it looking like that until the RJ grill comes out which is a ways off.
Please correct me if I am wrong about the hood trim.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jinen
lucky u!!! i can't wait to see my car...it's been 4 long months, i forgot how it feels to drive the TL lol...i'm longing for it dammit haha...so did you see the car on the top rack of the trailer or on the bottom? i hope it's on the top so that way there are less chances of rocks hitting the car and stuff while the driver is driving from cali to nj...i know i'll find out when he drops the car off but it would help to know in advance lol...
Top front Jinen, so you are good. It really is beautiful, you're going to love it.

Sorry for not taking pics guys but I didn't have the camera with me and as I was taking my kids up to my parents I didn't want to turn around and go back for the camera. If it had still been there when I came back you can bet I would have taken pics.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Any updates on the arrival of Jinen new and improved ride? NEED to see high quality pics.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Jinen won't get the car till next week.

Quick Reply: RJ Design 3rd Gen TL Kit on car, *OFFICIAL Pics on page 7*