Replacement Axle Brands/Quality - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Axle Brands/Quality

 
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Replacement Axle Brands/Quality

My TL has 104k miles on it now and it's starting to show a little.

First the one caliper needed to be replaced about a year ago and now the axle started clicking on the passenger side.

From my past experience with Honda remanufactured axles I've found that almost none of them are "good." Most would vibrate during acceleration from day 1... I lived with it in the past since I didn't drive that much, but that has changed lately.

Is it worth it to buy the OEM axle ($245) or is there a brand that makes a GOOD and lasting remanufactured version?
Danronian is offline  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 PM
  #2  
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)
iTrader: (10)
 
InFaMouSLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rahway, NJ
Age: 34
Posts: 2,572
Thanked 173 Times in 137 Posts
a/t or m/t? iirc the passenger side m't is a bitch to find aftermarket.
InFaMouSLink is offline  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Johnny_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Age: 33
Posts: 424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Monroe?
Johnny_b is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 266
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I've had very good results with the "new", not the rebuilt/ reconditioned that Orielly's sells on my family's Acuras & Hondas,
never a click or vibration. Can't remember the brand but you can
look it up on their website, cost is very little more with lifetime
warranty.
Also your car will go for a long time clicking if the boot's not ripped.
johnny3 is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
  #5  
3G TL/2G MDX Owner
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The west side of the Potomac River
Posts: 5,352
Thanked 959 Times in 794 Posts
dealer guys say go OEM for the axles. granted they might be biased. they said aftermarket axles won't last and have questionable quality issues esp the ones from china.

i got lucky, my axles were covered by my EW with my insurance. mine wore before 45K...finally replaced with OEM at 50K. the vibration was driving me nuts along with the click.

if you don't plan to keep the car long...you could go with aftermarket replacement...if you are keeping the car awhile...go with quality, ie OEM.

hope this helps.
TLtrigirl is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 AM
  #6  
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)
iTrader: (1)
 
07tl-s6spd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UA7 Heaven
Posts: 3,155
Thanked 220 Times in 202 Posts
^^^of coarse the dealer is gonna say go with oem.....they also say their tranny fluid is bet too....NOT!!
07tl-s6spd is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 AM
  #7  
2005 AM at/navi
 
jr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: southern cali
Age: 30
Posts: 288
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
man now i am also interested in this because my driverside boot has been leaking (very very little) from a really small hole and when i tried looking for it nobody carries the driver side boot and many have told me it is much easier to replace the axle than the boot. i will try orielly's like one member said above.
jr27 is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM
  #8  
OCD
iTrader: (3)
 
Roger555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,426
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
I would go with http://www.raxles.com/ I have had good experience with them in the past very good quality much better then anything I have every bought locally. They cost a bit more but thats because you are getting a quality product. They are 145 per side I just emailed them recently for this quote.
Roger555 is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
  #9  
3G TL/2G MDX Owner
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The west side of the Potomac River
Posts: 5,352
Thanked 959 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd View Post
^^^of coarse the dealer is gonna say go with oem.....they also say their tranny fluid is bet too....NOT!!
hence that's why i said they were biased. nonetheless, being a chick, they have been quite honest and upfront with me regarding the care of my car. they know i'm particular and they know i'm not the typical clueless girl rolling into the service bay. they actually respect me...now there's a thought. it took a while to find the right service advisor that i genuinely trust. granted i've never had an issue with my dealer. all i have to say, knowledge is power and if you respect and treat them the way you would want to be treated, they'll reciprocate that (as with any service industry).
TLtrigirl is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:29 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 2,423
Thanked 443 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555 View Post
I would go with http://www.raxles.com/ I have had good experience with them in the past very good quality much better then anything I have every bought locally. They cost a bit more but thats because you are getting a quality product. They are 145 per side I just emailed them recently for this quote.
I agree. Replaced my old OEM axles (CLS-6; 120K miles) with Raxles a few months ago. Marty will answer any questions one may have regarding axles etc. and builds them with the dampers if they are on your OEM's.

If you desire a great USA built product over the retail outlets, Raxles is a good place to start.
zeta is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM
  #11  
OCD
iTrader: (3)
 
Roger555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,426
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
I agree. Replaced my old OEM axles (CLS-6; 120K miles) with Raxles a few months ago. Marty will answer any questions one may have regarding axles etc. and builds them with the dampers if they are on your OEM's.

If you desire a great USA built product over the retail outlets, Raxles is a good place to start.
YUP! and if you have any issues at all he is right on top of it very good customer service at least 4 years ago when I bought my last set for my Legend
Roger555 is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Raxles is a good option... I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with their parts. If their price is $145 I'll be ordering through them for sure. Saving about $100 and still getting a quality part sounds like a good option to me.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
Danronian is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Danronian For This Useful Post:
efrainp (03-14-2016)
Old 01-16-2011, 04:38 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 2,423
Thanked 443 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Raxles is a good option... I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with their parts. If their price is $145 I'll be ordering through them for sure. Saving about $100 and still getting a quality part sounds like a good option to me.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
FYI, That sounds like the price with you sending them back your old OEM axles as a core. The core charge when I did mine was $80 per side. Marty will provide UPS labels for the return and you can just place the old axles in the boxes that the new ones arrive in. If your cores are not original OEM axles, they may not take them in return. Call to be sure.
zeta is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
  #14  
OCD
iTrader: (3)
 
Roger555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,426
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
FYI, That sounds like the price with you sending them back your old OEM axles as a core. The core charge when I did mine was $80 per side. Marty will provide UPS labels for the return and you can just place the old axles in the boxes that the new ones arrive in. If your cores are not original OEM axles, they may not take them in return. Call to be sure.
True but also something to note is Marty will not charge you the 80$ core fee upfront you have like 60 days I think and if they have not been returned you get charged 160 for not returning both cores.
Roger555 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't know when I was going to get to install the axle so I just bought an OEM one along with my 105k mile parts. Turned out to be $200 for a new OEM axle...in my opinion it seemed to be worth the little extra cost for an axle that should last another 100k miles. Hopefully in a few hours it will be installed.
Danronian is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 33
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Question Looking for how-to on replacing axle

I'm looking to replace the passenger side axle on my '04 automatic TL today. I've done a lot of work with civics, integras, and accords before so I think I'll be fine with replacing it after reading the Chilton's on the subject but I just wanted to see if anyone had a DIY/how-to on the subject since I didn't find one with searching and browsing.

My main question is what is the best way to get the suspension pushed out of the way/aside, while I remove the outer joint from the steering knuckle? The manuals always recommend to separate a ball-joint to do so but on all the Honda axle or trans replacements I've done I usually can get away with removing the upper or lower control arm and pushing things aside like that. It looks to me from the diagram that the upper looks hard to "get to" to remove, but I have to get under the car and see if it still looks that way.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Danronian is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 266
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Seperate the lower ball joint, gives you plenty of room/motion to remove the knuckle from the axle.
johnny3 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
  #18  
Chapter Leader (Houston)
iTrader: (7)
 
TLDude876's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redneckville
Age: 33
Posts: 3,196
Thanked 1,062 Times in 801 Posts
GSP axles from advance auto are pretty decent and they have a lifetime warranty.
TLDude876 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
  #19  
6SPEED FEVER
iTrader: (1)
 
EATSLEEPRACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Age: 31
Posts: 940
Thanked 119 Times in 97 Posts
I USED GSP AXLES FROM ADVANCED AUTO PARTS, I USED THE P20 COUPON CODE AND PICKED UP AT MY LOCAL STORE.............

*****BUY OEM AXLES SEALS*****.........one of mines was leaking with the gsp one....
EATSLEEPRACE is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
  #20  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to pick up left and right for my 06 and can't decide to give the "new" ones a try from a local parts store, raxles, or just go oem. I can't imagine "new" ones from a parts store being bad. It seems like most places carry the A1Cardone New and remanufactured axles.
ajs800 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
  #21  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered two new axles and decided to go OEM as I found them for $180 a piece. COuldn't justify a savings of $40 and go with raxles or local parts store. Hopefully this will take care of my slight vibration and wobbling issue I've had for the past 12months.
ajs800 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  #22  
OCD
iTrader: (3)
 
Roger555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Age: 35
Posts: 1,426
Thanked 116 Times in 41 Posts
OEMs are remans anyways you usually can't buy new axles
I personally would choose raxle over OEM for axles
Roger555 is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM
  #23  
3G TL/2G MDX Owner
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The west side of the Potomac River
Posts: 5,352
Thanked 959 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger555 View Post
OEMs are remans anyways you usually can't buy new axles
I personally would choose raxle over OEM for axles
not always true. had mine replaced brand new OEM last fall. no remanufactured axles existed at that time.
TLtrigirl is offline  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scratch that...I realized after I placed my order that the part #s provided by the parts guy were for just the joints and not the entire axle. I thought it might be too good to be true. Looks like raxles it is.
ajs800 is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
  #25  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
ggesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 12,388
Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,183 Posts
Bumping this from the dead. My passenger side axle has gone to Went on Delray's site to check prices for OEM and WTF the prices have risen significantly!! Unless, I'm looking at the wrong part they are now around 520 bucks just for one side!

Raxles....here I come.
ggesq is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
I've had good luck with the GSP axles from Advance. I've been running them for the past 4 years without any issues. IIRC, I used a coupon and got the pair for $110 and they had a lifetime warranty. Only thing is, I get a tiny vibration while accelerating around 25 mph, but then it quickly disappears. When I installed them, I noticed that they don't have the vibration damper like the OEM ones did.
3gstealth is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 3gstealth For This Useful Post:
ggesq (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
anx1300c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 633 Stag Trail Rd
Posts: 5,017
Thanked 923 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq View Post
Bumping this from the dead. My passenger side axle has gone to Went on Delray's site to check prices for OEM and WTF the prices have risen significantly!! Unless, I'm looking at the wrong part they are now around 520 bucks just for one side!

Raxles....here I come.

That's insane....$1100 for both for the 5AT.

DRIVESHAFT - HALF SHAFT for 2006 Acura TL



But then, the 6MT's are only $156 each? Jesus, I'm extra glad I don't have an automatic.

DRIVESHAFT - HALF SHAFT for 2006 Acura TL
anx1300c is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to anx1300c For This Useful Post:
ggesq (03-07-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 AM
  #28  
-------Tim-------
 
Slpr04UA6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Age: 40
Posts: 2,136
Thanked 481 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
I've had good luck with the GSP axles from Advance. I've been running them for the past 4 years without any issues. IIRC, I used a coupon and got the pair for $110 and they had a lifetime warranty. Only thing is, I get a tiny vibration while accelerating around 25 mph, but then it quickly disappears. When I installed them, I noticed that they don't have the vibration damper like the OEM ones did.
I have never replaced an axle before, but is there a way to transfer the OEM damper to the gsp axle, or is that impossible? Just curious.........


I have heard very good reviews on raxles, although haven't checked their prices....
Slpr04UA6 is offline  
Old 03-08-2016, 08:41 AM
  #29  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
ggesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 12,388
Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,183 Posts
Tim, 220 with OEM core exchange, 300 with no exchange per side. Spoke to Marty @ Raxles this morning. Nice guy.
ggesq is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggesq For This Useful Post:
csmeance (03-08-2016), Slpr04UA6 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
  #30  
SixSpeedDreamin'
 
Willie3.5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gawja!
Age: 34
Posts: 494
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq View Post
Tim, 220 with OEM core exchange, 300 with no exchange per side. Spoke to Marty @ Raxles this morning. Nice guy.
Marty, has great customer service. I bought Raxles a year ago for my 6MT, no problems thus far.
Willie3.5 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie3.5 For This Useful Post:
ggesq (03-08-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend axles from Marty at Raxles over anything else. I used other axles before from Rock auto and had the same vibration issue at 25 mph others here are experiencing. After changing the axle to that from Raxles, never had any vibration issues since!
blxxlee is offline  
Old 03-10-2016, 02:39 PM
  #32  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus lifetime warranty! Can't beat that!!
blxxlee is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM
  #33  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Chicago IL
Posts: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Exclamation need some help

Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
I've had good luck with the GSP axles from Advance. I've been running them for the past 4 years without any issues. IIRC, I used a coupon and got the pair for $110 and they had a lifetime warranty. Only thing is, I get a tiny vibration while accelerating around 25 mph, but then it quickly disappears. When I installed them, I noticed that they don't have the vibration damper like the OEM ones did.

Quick question, I was wondering if you ran into any issues other than the tiny vibration or got any type of codes such as ABS codes? Because I noticed that these GSP Axles do NOT come with the ABS Rings... what did you have to do about that? My right side (passenger) has been clicking and needs to be replaced but I am not going to spend $520 per side for OEMs so I have been looking at these GSPs and seeing if they're worth it, I can deal with a little vibration if that is the only issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
ksotelo21 is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
flyromeo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA/ NY/ FL
Posts: 1,768
Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by ksotelo21 View Post
Quick question, I was wondering if you ran into any issues other than the tiny vibration or got any type of codes such as ABS codes? Because I noticed that these GSP Axles do NOT come with the ABS Rings... what did you have to do about that? My right side (passenger) has been clicking and needs to be replaced but I am not going to spend $520 per side for OEMs so I have been looking at these GSPs and seeing if they're worth it, I can deal with a little vibration if that is the only issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
TL's dont use ABS rings. The "ABS Ring" is in the wheel bearing.
flyromeo3 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to flyromeo3 For This Useful Post:
ksotelo21 (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:14 PM
  #35  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Chicago IL
Posts: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by flyromeo3 View Post
TL's dont use ABS rings. The "ABS Ring" is in the wheel bearing.
Oh, I did not not know this... thanks for the help!
ksotelo21 is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AccordFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Age: 29
Posts: 636
Thanked 210 Times in 134 Posts
Insane shaft 500whp axles are what I am using. Overkill for some, but if you want strong axles they will do the job. Only $370 plus shipping too for both sides
AccordFlex is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 03:27 PM
  #37  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Chicago IL
Posts: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AccordFlex View Post
Insane shaft 500whp axles are what I am using. Overkill for some, but if you want strong axles they will do the job. Only $370 plus shipping too for both sides
Do you have a direct link for these axles? And how long you've been running them for?
ksotelo21 is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 PM
  #38  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ksotelo21 View Post
Quick question, I was wondering if you ran into any issues other than the tiny vibration or got any type of codes such as ABS codes? Because I noticed that these GSP Axles do NOT come with the ABS Rings... what did you have to do about that? My right side (passenger) has been clicking and needs to be replaced but I am not going to spend $520 per side for OEMs so I have been looking at these GSPs and seeing if they're worth it, I can deal with a little vibration if that is the only issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
No issues other than the slight vibration at 25, and they also came with a lifetime warranty. When you install the new driver side axle, make sure to replace the axle seal since it plugs into the side of the transmission. I didn't do this at first, and I noticed I was dripping transmission fluid. As soon as I replaced the seal, it completely fixed the leak.
3gstealth is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 PM
  #39  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Chicago IL
Posts: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth View Post
No issues other than the slight vibration at 25, and they also came with a lifetime warranty. When you install the new driver side axle, make sure to replace the axle seal since it plugs into the side of the transmission. I didn't do this at first, and I noticed I was dripping transmission fluid. As soon as I replaced the seal, it completely fixed the leak.

I think you were the one that mentioned this on a previous post, you were talking about using OEM seals...correct?...
ksotelo21 is offline  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:31 AM
  #40  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
3gstealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 38
Posts: 474
Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ksotelo21 View Post
I think you were the one that mentioned this on a previous post, you were talking about using OEM seals...correct?...
Correct. OEM seal works with the aftermarket axles. You just need a new one.
3gstealth is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Axle Brands/Quality


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.