Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Recommendations- Using Keyfob or easy install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remote Start Recommendations- Using Keyfob or easy install

Any systems exist that let you simply plug and play without cutting wires. I know that on some american cars there are aftermarket systems that tap into the existing wiring harness without cutting them. Anything like this exist for an 08 TL?

If not, are there any systems that let you use the keyfob? I don't mind if the range isn't as good, I just don't want an extra clicker to carry around.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure about plug-and-play, but I wound up getting the Viper 5706v from Amazon:

Amazon.com : Viper 5706V 2-way Security System w/Remote : Vehicle Security Complete Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Viper 5706V 2-way Security System w/Remote : Vehicle Security Complete Systems : Car Electronics

The viper remote takes care of start, lock, unlock, trunk, and defroster. My switchblades stay at home and I just use the valet key on my ring so I don't need to carry two keyfobs. Just an idea for you.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
There is no such thing as a "plug and play" remote starter. There's just too many wires, and options to hook up to. Even the dealer installed units aren't plug and play. Also, remote starters do not generally require cutting any wires, unless it's part of the bypass module.

MPSCAN's suggestion was good, and in addition to the Viper 5706, you can add the smartstart system which will allow you to control the car from your smartphone if you don't want to carry another remote around.

I can see why you wouldn't want to carry around another remote. The factory fob is large enough as it is. I personally don't like it for that reason. I prefer their slim remote with the separate key.

Last edited by TLMNICK; 02-24-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MPSCAN
Not sure about plug-and-play, but I wound up getting the Viper 5706v from Amazon:

Amazon.com : Viper 5706V 2-way Security System w/Remote : Vehicle Security Complete Systems : Car Electronics

The viper remote takes care of start, lock, unlock, trunk, and defroster. My switchblades stay at home and I just use the valet key on my ring so I don't need to carry two keyfobs. Just an idea for you.
Thanks for the recommendation, going to check that model out. So did you install it yourself or buy the unit and then have it installed by a shop? If you did it yourself how hard was it? If you paid to have installed what did they charge?

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
There is no such thing as a "plug and play" remote starter. There's just too many wires, and options to hook up to. Even the dealer installed units aren't plug and play. Also, remote starters do not generally require cutting any wires, unless it's part of the bypass module.

MPSCAN's suggestion was good, and in addition to the Viper 5706, you can add the smartstart system which will allow you to control the car from your smartphone if you don't want to carry another remote around.

I can see why you wouldn't want to carry around another remote. The factory fob is large enough as it is. I personally don't like it for that reason. I prefer their slim remote with the separate key.
Thanks for the feedback. On a Dodge truck there was a plug and play system that was able to be used on a ton of American cars, and it was priced nice, genius setup. Too bad this doesn't exist for the Acura.

Starting on a smart phone sounds nice. My local sound shop said $500 to install a system with smart phone capabilities plus a monthly fee. I don't need the smart phone ability that badly

So with these systems you don't have to cut wires? I always thought they were cutting wires under the dash to patch the remote start into the car's electrical system.

Agreed an extra keyfob sucks. I like how ours is a switchblade key, but its a tank!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It was installed by a local shop for $250 total (plus tax) which included the necessary bypass module for the ignition (so they don't have to take an actual key and mount it under the dash, and so they don't have to cut wires).

So $190 for the Viper from Amazon and $250 install = $440.

Also -- I bought the optional tilt sensor ($24) and an audio sensor ($17) both from Amazon, both which integrate with the Viper. So the install cost included mounting and connecting those too.

NOTE: When I bought my TL, the previous owner did NOT have the valet key, so that was $38 for the key, plus $80 programming from the Acura dealer. Basically I ate that cost for the convenience of not having to carry the switchblade.

Last edited by MPSCAN; 02-25-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
The smartstart feature is nice. It's about $65 a year for the subscription, so it's not too bad.

There's not cutting required. It's all splicing. Basically, they piggy back off certain wires in the car to make the system work.