3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in glove box...how to fix it?

Old 01-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in glove box...how to fix it?

just wondering if u guys know how to fix it, without having to go to the dealer....it's like a clicking sound...any1 had that too? it's so irritating!

thanks!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Have you checked out this?

message from michael3314

"I fixed the rattle myself. You have to remove the glovebox. Easier said than done. Once you have it out, the adjustment of the catch is easy. Two screws, towards the rear tightens. Put it all back togeather and rattle is gone. Has nothing to do with the clips."
(it's #14 message)

I did remove it, but failed to put it back. He should know more. Also, some other guys there provide the useful tips, too.

Hope this could help.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Advanced

thanks rets!

Originally posted by rets
Have you checked out this?

message from michael3314

"I fixed the rattle myself. You have to remove the glovebox. Easier said than done. Once you have it out, the adjustment of the catch is easy. Two screws, towards the rear tightens. Put it all back togeather and rattle is gone. Has nothing to do with the clips."
(it's #14 message)

I did remove it, but failed to put it back. He should know more. Also, some other guys there provide the useful tips, too.

Hope this could help.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zeicht,

I'll try to explain it in a little more detail.

The hard part is getting it out. Inside the glove box there are two black plastic pieces that are the hinges. One on each side. With the glove box half way open, push the clip towards the front of the car and away from the box (left or right depending on which side). If you can get your fingers on the outside of the clip and push the two small clips that holds the black plastic hinge in place, it comes out easier. Thats the hard part. Now remove the two screws at the bottem of the glove box that attach it to the dash and you'll have the glove box removed.

There are about 12 screws that hold the box to the front panel. Remove those and you can now see the two screws that hold the catch in place. Loosen, adjust, and retighten. Moving the catch towards the bottem of the cover tightens the locking action when reinstalled.

Reverse the processes to put the glove box back in. To put the hinges back in, put the rubber part in the hole, push flat, then pull the black end towards the rear of the car.

No more rattle!

Just a note here. While you have it out, its very easy to drill two small holes in the box above where the adjustment screws to the catch are. I had some small black screw covers left over from a do it yourself furniture project that covered the holes nicely.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Pro

Doesn't the dealership know how to fix this? I have this too when I hit big bumps.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Advanced

easy fix

Just get a stick on felt pad from the hardware store that is used put on furniture feet to protect hardwood floors and attach to the glove box frame on the left side just above the little plastic tab that sticks out.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Advanced

michael3314, thanks for your detailed explanation, seems a bit complicated

taschroth, can you post some pics on the stick-on felt? it would be a great help! hope you dont mind...thanks a bunch!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Advanced

Re: easy fix

taschroth, can you post some pics on the stick-on felt? it would be a great help! hope you dont mind...thanks a bunch!

Originally posted by taschroth
Just get a stick on felt pad from the hardware store that is used put on furniture feet to protect hardwood floors and attach to the glove box frame on the left side just above the little plastic tab that sticks out.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Advanced

Its not as complicated as it sounds. Took me about 30 minutes, and half of that was spent deciding on how to get it out. Im sure the felt pad works, but I'd rather fix it properly than put on a band-aid.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:19 AM
Advanced

michael3314,

with the detailed procedure above, what is the main objective of taking out the glove box? is it tightening the hinges, screws etc or loosening them? or putting a felt on the interior part of the glove box as others suggested? i have to say that i didnt get what's supposed to be done ultimately to eliminate the rattle...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Advanced

The main objective is to adjust the catch in the glovebox. By adjusting it, the glovebox is held to the dash tighter, removing the rattle.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Racer

Damn rattle

I have this too. Thanks Mike I'll try it if I get brave enough.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Peters,

Have to chuckle, my wife says the same thing. Why would anyone with a new car, under warrenty, do this? I can do a better job on this type of problem then the dealer. I won't touch the engine or tranmission but these small things are fixable.

You don't have to be brave, just determined. Its really not that hard. I have been an engineer for 30 yrs so none of this is difficult for me. I sometimes forget that the people I'm takling to are not engineers. I tried to write the fix in a way that most people would understand. Took me longer to write the fix than it did to fix the damn thing!

Anyway, if your not confident with doing it youself, take it back to Acura. Thier service is excellent. Have never had a problem with them. Always fixed the first time and very professional.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Racer

Yep, I'm like you - there are some things you would rather do yourself and better than some guy watching the clock at the dealer. Although not an engineer (well, I 'm a financial one) I'm pretty good at stuff like this.

I took a quick look at my car and I had trouble getting my fingers in behind the box; but I did eventually. So you have to bend those clips out and inwards, correct? That's the tough part it seems to me.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Yep, thats the hard part. The clip is held in place by the two small clips attached to the black piece (on the outside of the box). If you have small fingers, squeeze the tabs togeather and push forward (towards the front of the car) and out. I didn't have too much trouble with this although I can see where some would.

In answer to your question, its foward and out. Counterclockwise.
The following users liked this post:
LoneRonin (01-05-2015)
Old 01-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Racer

15 minutes

Did it. You can use a flat head screwdriver to flip the black plastic plates out when you have the box half way open. Just pry carefuly and...pop! out they come. Not much of an adjustment though, I moved the assembly down slightly towards the bottom of the glove box and it seemed to work... for now.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:09 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You, know, my glove box was adjusted at delivery back in october, then it rattled again, problem was when they took those clips out, they did not have the manual, which says the clips have to be replaced, or it will rattle again, sure enough, 3 weeks later, it started to rattle again, but a different one.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by michael3314

Have to chuckle, my wife says the same thing. Why would anyone with a new car, under warrenty, do this? I can do a better job on this type of problem then the dealer. I won't touch the engine or tranmission but these small things are fixable.

You don't have to be brave, just determined. Its really not that hard. I have been an engineer for 30 yrs so none of this is difficult for me. I sometimes forget that the people I'm takling to are not engineers. I tried to write the fix in a way that most people would understand. Took me longer to write the fix than it did to fix the damn thing!

Anyway, if your not confident with doing it youself, take it back to Acura. Thier service is excellent. Have never had a problem with them. Always fixed the first time and very professional.
Thanks, michael3314,

I do appreciate you re-write the detailed procedure to us.

Most of dealers cannot fix this problem. They're not in engineer-mind to solve the issue, but they only know how to follow the instructions from Acura headquarters.

My dealer put my glove box back, but they just couldn't fix this rattle as you did.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by michael3314
Peters,

Excellent post - rep points given.

Tell your wife that half the time, any repair ends up in something buggered - if it is below $100, I do ALL my repairs even under warranty - I know it is done right, and nothing else gets screwed up.