AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Ran straight over deer carcass at 65 mph (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/ran-straight-over-deer-carcass-65-mph-980005/)

RedsTL 06-04-2019 11:49 AM

Ran straight over deer carcass at 65 mph

So I was traveling home last night and the car immediately in front of me swerves away, and right in front of me with no time to react is a deer carcass. My only instinct is to straddle it between the tires. BOOM. I didn't feel anything but it was definitely a fairly loud impact. I was able to drive home (another 20 minutes) no issues whatsoever, but this morning I see giant clumps of hair in two locations under the car, one on a pipe near the front two wheels, another giant clump toward the rear of the vehicle. I took it to local car cash and it isn't coming out.

What possible damage could have been done? I've got a firestone appointment today at 5pm for a 'vehicle inspection', but so far everything seems...ok?...

Thanks for any advice.

thoiboi 06-04-2019 11:59 AM

poor dear :sad:

losiglow 06-04-2019 12:06 PM

*deer

It's unlikely that any damage occurred, other than to your bumper or plastic coverings underneath the car. Running over medians or curbs can definitely jack up undercarriage components but something "soft" like a deer isn't likely to cause damage to metal parts under the car. Let Firestone know what happened and they can take a look. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for leaking fluids. If anything, it could have damaged the radiator but I think even that's unlikely since the radiator is protected by a chassis beam. It could have also caused damage to the brake lines but you'd know pretty quick if that were the case.

justnspace 06-04-2019 12:25 PM

hurry and wash it off! it's already like 100 degrees here in texas, wouldnt want that stuff to stink!!!!!!!

RedsTL 06-04-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16434942)
*deer

It's unlikely that any damage occurred, other than to your bumper or plastic coverings underneath the car. Running over medians or curbs can definitely jack up undercarriage components but something "soft" like a deer isn't likely to cause damage to metal parts under the car. Let Firestone know what happened and they can take a look. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for leaking fluids. If anything, it could have damaged the radiator but I think even that's unlikely since the radiator is protected by a chassis beam. It could have also caused damage to the brake lines but you'd know pretty quick if that were the case.

Haha yeah stupid autocorrect, I tried to fix it but it only fixes the sub-title.

Anyway, thansk for your insight. I thought I was seriously screwed when I first hit it, so glad to know there's a chance of no real damage.

nfnsquared 06-04-2019 12:45 PM

Following too closely. Lesson learned, hopefully.

RedsTL 06-04-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared (Post 16434978)
Following too closely. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Definitely was, but realized that I wasn't following as closely as I do in other instances. So yeah, usually even worse. :tomato:

Majofo 06-04-2019 02:21 PM

Inspection appointment at Firestone :spit:
And I was feeling sorry for the deer.

RedsTL 06-04-2019 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16435036)

I dunno I just want someone to be able to see under the car. Maybe not necessary....

losiglow 06-04-2019 02:41 PM

If it would put your mind at ease then go for it. It's certainly possible that a chunk of flesh (gross, I know) could have gotten wedged somewhere or that something like an exhaust heat shield got bent which might result in some rattling later on. But it's pretty unlikely that anything critical was damaged.

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 16435036)

All of the Firestones here in SLC closed down. They just ran a news story on it. Apparently it was a slow news day.....

Majofo 06-04-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedsTL (Post 16435054)
I dunno I just want someone to be able to see under the car. Maybe not necessary....

Here let me save you some time and money..

Firestone report:

Cracked subframe
Bent wheels (x4)
Clogged catalytic converter
Bent exhaust pipe
Tire tread 1/8
Brake pads FxR 0.5mm
Bottom end clean
Top end clean
Cracked Radiator
Cracked Oil Pan
Damaged splashguards
Damaged intake
Torn compliance bushings
Leaky struts x2
Torn Accessory Belt
Spark Plugs (mando carb compliance)
Poor alternator efficiency
Poor starter crank
Etc.

Total Est: $7020.30

justnspace 06-04-2019 03:03 PM

:rofl:

thoiboi 06-04-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedsTL (Post 16435054)

:squint:

your eyes stopped working? Just jack it up and take a look see.. hell even take a pic and post it here

Majofo 06-04-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16435120)
:squint:

your eyes stopped working? Just jack it up and take a look see.. hell even take a pic and post it here

Why are you like this?????

OP, not saying some peace of mind isn't warranted.
I personally think you're fine. But a well reviewed honest indy shop would be a safe bet.

mb.3g 06-04-2019 07:00 PM

I'd cancel the appt with Firestone and let Road Kill
Cafe know you got the goods.

nfnsquared 06-04-2019 07:06 PM

Shoulda driven about 5 miles and then stopped, reached under the car, and grabbed ya a hunk o' cooked venison. Yummmm!!!!

Midnight Mystery 06-05-2019 12:02 AM

Slam your car, that way it'll just push it over instead of driving over the deer....

TVL65 06-05-2019 09:33 AM

Yup NEVER follow too closely. A few years ago a woman was riding my ass, I mean I couldn't even see her front plate. This continued for miles & miles. Up ahead in my lane there were 2 garbage cans that had blown into the roadway. So I decided to let her know the consequences of tailgating, but I first made sure there were no vehicles coming the opposite way, we were on a quiet road and non residential. As I approached I then suddenly swerved to avoid hitting them, but she couldn't because she was riding my ass, KABOOMM!!! and as I glanced in my rear view I laughed and laughed and continued onward. I actually saw her front spoiler break off into chunks.

justnspace 06-05-2019 11:18 AM

^it's worse on the freeway...someone will be huggin me, and because I leave space, I can change lanes at will. right around slowing traffic, I see them in the rear view mirror having to slam on their brakes to avoid pile up

gatrhumpy 06-05-2019 11:25 AM

Assholes.

Acura TL Builder 06-05-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy (Post 16435481)
Assholes.

I bet you’ve got stories too! :bitelip:

Midnight Mystery 06-05-2019 03:09 PM

It's better to drive like a boss... Be smart, not granny...

Watch for any brakelights in front of you... So on...

Change lanes and overtake when possible (safe)... :D

Midnight Mystery 06-05-2019 03:13 PM

Also, if an animal like a deer, rabbit or raccoon runs out in front of you, brake gently and gently aim the vehicle toward where the animal came out from...

AKA "point for the tail"...

Living in rural Mississippi for two years, this saved me atleast a dozen accidents.... Just don't jerk the wheel like you're on a slalom, do it gently, like changing lanes or something, it's all you'll need...

Also, train your eyes for seeing eyes off to the sides of the road, it gives you more time to anticipate what may happen...

thoiboi 06-05-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16435618)
Also, if an animal like a deer, rabbit or raccoon runs out in front of you, brake gently and gently aim the vehicle toward where the animal came out from...

So what happens when it's a carcass aka ALREADY DEAD :doh: :poke:

Midnight Mystery 06-05-2019 03:50 PM

That's if one runs out next time...

Majofo 06-05-2019 03:51 PM

AKA "point for the tail"...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b7fb77b164.gif

losiglow 06-05-2019 04:07 PM

Wow. That car took that tree out like a boss.

Majofo 06-05-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16435621)
So what happens when it's a carcass aka ALREADY DEAD :doh: :poke:

Won't be no carcass if you do what MM tells you.. dummy
Simple logic.. jeez

ProfessorFunk 06-07-2019 03:56 AM

AKA "point for the tail"

WAIT - Who told you about my failed "first date" strategy and why are you bringing it up here…!?

Superunknown 06-07-2019 08:45 AM

A few years ago I nailed a road gator and took on nearly a grand in paint damage to the bumper and door sill... But the person tailgating me got it laid across their hood after my tires ejected it into the air.

subinf 06-07-2019 11:16 AM

That tree didn't stand a chance.

Majofo 06-07-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorFunk (Post 16436393)
WAIT - Who told you about my failed "first date" strategy and why are you bringing it up here…!?

Don't make this first date your last date
Works for me

Midnight Mystery 06-07-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Superunknown (Post 16436453)
A few years ago I nailed a road gator and took on nearly a grand in paint damage to the bumper and door sill... But the person tailgating me got it laid across their hood after my tires ejected it into the air.

I'm from NOLA, and this would happen regularly in the outter areas, beyond city limits...

It's rough too... Like hitting a log...

Someone died on I-10 in the East a few years ago after their cargo van hit a large alligator and turned over, then was rear ended by a following car...

I also know someone who hit one on highway 61, too...

Superunkown? Hell yes! :rockon: