Notices
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran out of gas :(

 
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM
  #41  
Senior Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
ggesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 12,388
Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by ecliptics

haha i cant believe he got banned/mad arguing over water in the tank.. lol. :
He got banned for his comments in this thread :https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176632

not for his views on putting water in the gas tank.
ggesq is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
  #42  
Registered Member
 
apexii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 45
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
water?!?

I really cannot believe he thought he had a valid point!

water?
apexii is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
  #43  
steeez
 
ecliptics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: san jose cali
Age: 29
Posts: 1,709
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
He got banned for his comments in this thread :https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176632

not for his views on putting water in the gas tank.
haha well i meant i cant believe he got himself banned over this cause transmission told him not to post anything offensive again.
ecliptics is offline  
Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
  #44  
Registered Member
 
ns00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MI
Age: 36
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
huh. I never wait until I get that low on gas. When I fill up, I usually notice I've put 12 gals in... I should probably wait a while more to fill up.
ns00 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 AM
  #45  
3.2 VTEC
 
vincethe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sin City
Age: 32
Posts: 878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm off my break, here to terrorize the forums again...lol

i also happen to be drunk right now so...
vincethe1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 AM
  #46  
Acuras Only in
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,788
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecliptics
haha well i meant i cant believe he got himself banned over this cause transmission told him not to post anything offensive again.
Dayaaaamm ... was I buried at work that I missed all the fireworks from the other thread? LMAO ...
shooter is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
  #47  
Acuras Only in
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,788
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
i'm off my break, here to terrorize the forums again...lol

i also happen to be drunk right now so...
WB Vince .. & behave this time ya hear? LOL
shooter is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
  #48  
Morbid
 
ncinirator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland
Age: 41
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From looking at other threads I find that the AZ mods are the best. I was supposed to be banned for a month. After e-mailing another mod who look at the thread he unbanned me right away. This place rocks.
ncinirator is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
  #49  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
RACINGHART03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SOMEWHERE IN NJ
Age: 44
Posts: 1,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate to break the news to the Acurazine crew. Read your owners manual. Running the car out of gas is B A D. Dont ever do it. Its not too hard. Running the car out of gas causes the car to run full enrichment since it detects a lean condition. This causes a massive misfire and therefore nukes your catalytic converters. Your loss of power shortly after is most likely caused by increased back pressure from your cats which are not in good shape anymore. Codes will show up later. Remember kidz. Reading is fundamental.
RACINGHART03 is offline  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM
  #50  
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~
 
darksom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 6,798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
He got banned for his comments in this thread :https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176632

not for his views on putting water in the gas tank.
Off topic: Yo G, that thread was funny as shit! I was crying!

On topic: I would never have put water in my tank, but the amount he said he put in his tank - is that really dangerous or problematic in an emergency? I don't think it is good to do, no doubt (I'm scared when I go thru any amount of standing water with my CAI). But can someone say what can reasonably be expected to happen if you do what he said (the amount he said) that he did, other than on a strictly bash note? Because theoretically, that sounded pretty much like a good idea for a one time deal in an emergency situation. Vince had a good argument, he just doesn't know HOW to argue. Can someone that does know how to argue the counter effectively, tell me what would happen or could be expected to happen if you did that just once with that amount? The reason I ask, is because he made physics sense with that remark, someone may attempt it and discount you guys arguments against it as just typical forum bashing.

I have never run out of gas, and I probably never will because I wouldn't drive my car on E like that for prolonged periods with no gas station around or nearby.
darksom1 is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 AM
  #51  
3.2 VTEC
 
vincethe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sin City
Age: 32
Posts: 878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, mabe i can't argue...but that may also be because very few people have the common sence and knowlege to figure out what i'm saying...and just go the shallow route and say "Water in the gas tank? This guy is an idiot. Period" and that's ok, whoever don't want to beleive me doesn't have to. i was just trying to help anyways, from there on every1 has their own opinion and decisions to make.
vincethe1 is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
  #52  
Registered Member
 
jokerunm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 151
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincethe1
ok, mabe i can't argue...but that may also be because very few people have the common sence and knowlege to figure out what i'm saying...and just go the shallow route and say "Water in the gas tank? This guy is an idiot. Period" and that's ok, whoever don't want to beleive me doesn't have to. i was just trying to help anyways, from there on every1 has their own opinion and decisions to make.

Look, I think most everyone got your point(adding water part), and understood your point, we're not stupid either, but that doesn't mean we have to accept all the stupidity around your story.

- , running out of gas in the first place, leaving for a long trip when you know you might run out gas, driving 100+mph as when you are about to run out of gas, the babbling about the TL having some built in protection to running out of gas-----> by this time, well you're all covered in shit and really, who wants to listen to a guy who smells like shit? ---->That was your problem.
jokerunm is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
  #53  
Secret Agent
 
Shalooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N Va
Posts: 4,300
Thanked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Hello Vince, remember me ??? We had a "discussion" about something a little while ago. More acurately, I was discussing a topic and you were somewhere else.

I am more convinced now that you really are "The One", as your username suggests. Maybe it's destiny that you came up with that.

With all this knowledge you have and your incredible ability to write intrigue inspiring facts, I'm wondering why the mechanical engineers from automakers near and far have not snapped you up yet. You're knowledge of not only how things work by why is simply astonishing. Adding water to the gas tank? Of course !!! Economlically driving at 100+ mph ?? You're on the ball there.

We should have already known by now that you're not going to fooled by all the purported research that has been done over the past thirty years or so that has determined the most efficient method of conserving fuel. That's what they WANT us to believe, right ?? Jokes on them I guess, and all the other fools who buy into that crap. WE really know what's going on, don't we.

Don't stop writing here. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about how things really work, now that you're on the job. Keep us posted !!
Shalooby is offline  
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
  #54  
3.2 VTEC
 
vincethe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sin City
Age: 32
Posts: 878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol i know that running out of gas in the 1st place is the biggest mistake, it all went downhill from there.

it was a mistake on my part for not filling up....

about the protection part, i have experienced it and that's why i'm saying it's there...originally that never passed through my mind...but when i ran out of gas, coasted to a stop when i got to a small hill, started it again because when our cars are uphill, the gas gague moves up a little because that's where the measuring device must be, so all the gas goes to the back and raises the level...therefore it started again, and didn't shut off again until about a mile PAST the uphill on flat ground again...now if i really had run out of gas how would i be able to drive for another minute or so with engine power? To me it's obvious that when the level got too low again for the gague it cut it off.

therefore i came to a conclustion that the tl had a cutoff before it gets to the point of damaging something...and i support that because when i added a little gas again, it started up as though absolutely nothing happend, as if i shut it off myself.

again, noone has to beleive me about anything i say, it's up to you, but i'm just speaking from my experience, and hopefully it could be of some help/knowlege to someone.
vincethe1 is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 AM
  #55  
3.2 VTEC
 
vincethe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sin City
Age: 32
Posts: 878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shalooby
Hello Vince, remember me ??? We had a "discussion" about something a little while ago. More acurately, I was discussing a topic and you were somewhere else.

I am more convinced now that you really are "The One", as your username suggests. Maybe it's destiny that you came up with that.

With all this knowledge you have and your incredible ability to write intrigue inspiring facts, I'm wondering why the mechanical engineers from automakers near and far have not snapped you up yet. You're knowledge of not only how things work by why is simply astonishing. Adding water to the gas tank? Of course !!! Economlically driving at 100+ mph ?? You're on the ball there.

We should have already known by now that you're not going to fooled by all the purported research that has been done over the past thirty years or so that has determined the most efficient method of conserving fuel. That's what they WANT us to believe, right ?? Jokes on them I guess, and all the other fools who buy into that crap. WE really know what's going on, don't we.

Don't stop writing here. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about how things really work, now that you're on the job. Keep us posted !!
lol, how nice of you..gotta love your sarcasm.

on a side note...you have a tl, set the cruise control to 100mph, reset your trip computer, and drive for about 10 minutes, mabe an hour, mabe more...

see what your fuel consumption would be....my guess is that it would be around 24mpg, because i have a tl and that's what mine does...but mabe there's something unusual about my tl?

as i've stated b4, the driving ecomomically at 110mph was meant as a joke, kinda like your sarcasm...but i guess noone got that part, even after i explained it was meant to be a joke.

on a side note, 22mpg at 120mph is not exactly bad mpg...many suvs wud struggle to do that at 1/2 the speed.
vincethe1 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
  #56  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just want to add myself to "the asshole list". I ran out of gas last night. Got a little over 480 miles on one tank averaging 29mpg (mostly highway driving around 65-70, mixed with stop and go).

It happened at about 12:30 last night. Got a ride to a gas station, grabbed a gallon, poured it into the TL, then drove to the gas station to fill up. No issues/changes in driving since it ran out.

Later
terryt5231 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
  #57  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
JackSampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Here
Posts: 493
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69 View Post
yea im an idiot but i couldnt control the situation. i actually ran out of gas and the car went dead. i had someone come by and fill me up and she started back up. however, the car seems a bit sluggish right now. what should i do? reset the computer? do i possibly cause some damage or is this just all in my head?

Man I hate getting gas. I have to fill up at least once a week so I usually run it past the E. Haven't run out yet though. I'm sure you will be fine. Just got to get the air out of the fuel rails.
JackSampson is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
  #58  
Registered Member
 
dadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Not to rub too much salt into the wound, but how could you not 'control the situation'? There's about 3 gallons left when the light comes on. That's 70+ miles even without driving like a granny. Not to say I haven't pushed it myself for stupid reasons (like trying to wait until Tuesday to fill up at Shell because they discount the gas 5-cents/gallon) but if I did run out, I wouldn't say I wasn't in control of the situation...just that I'm an idiot.

I was going to pop my monitor cause of your avatar

question to op

did the fuel line go right underneath the E completely?
dadon is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
  #59  
Vendor
iTrader: (18)
 
AckTL05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,787
Thanked 298 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by dadon View Post
I was going to pop my monitor cause of your avatar

question to op

did the fuel line go right underneath the E completely?
This thread was created in 2008.
AckTL05 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 11:57 AM
  #60  
Veni, vidi, vici
 
Bayam0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boston
Posts: 1,510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^what if the OP actually responded?
u never know cuz he might've subscribed to the thread, and see that it has been bumped when he looks at his account...

i subscribe to all of my threads...
Bayam0n is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
  #61  
Registered Member
 
sixsixfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CA
Age: 39
Posts: 2,684
Thanked 205 Times in 96 Posts
i could not believe someone would actually recommend adding water to the fuel tank.

nevermind the fact that it wont burn, the fact that water does not compress in an internal combustion engine (hydrolock) is enough reason to avoid getting any of it in the fuel system. thats why there are water removing agents on sale at auto stores, and thats why there are detergents and agents in gasoline that are designed to fight fuel line freeze and remove water.

water in the engine is bad. deliberately putting water in your fuel tank to push the fuel into the fuel tank thinking the water wont get sucked in probably the most destructive piece of advice Ive ever seen and by far takes the darwin award.
sixsixfour is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
  #62  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 20,172
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,257 Posts
[email protected] this thread. I can see where water would raise the level of the fuel enough to get it back up to the pump. Fuel pumps usually sit an inch or so off the bottom of the tank so they don't suck up the water and dirt. Would I ever try this? Hell no.

When I was young and putting gas in the car $.25 at a time I ran it empty a few times. What I learned to do is shake the car side to side with the steering wheel. It will usually keep it running for a few miles. Not good for the PS pump and really bad for the engine considering it's running super lean. I had a friend blow a headgasket on his GN for running it for a few miles while sputtering.

The best thing I ever did during a fuel pump replacement was bend the float slightly so that when it went to "E" I had another 50 miles or so. Depending on the style of float, they get less accurate as they get near either extreme.
I hate cars is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM
  #63  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sixsixfour View Post
i could not believe someone would actually recommend adding water to the fuel tank.

nevermind the fact that it wont burn, the fact that water does not compress in an internal combustion engine (hydrolock) is enough reason to avoid getting any of it in the fuel system. thats why there are water removing agents on sale at auto stores, and thats why there are detergents and agents in gasoline that are designed to fight fuel line freeze and remove water.

water in the engine is bad. deliberately putting water in your fuel tank to push the fuel into the fuel tank thinking the water wont get sucked in probably the most destructive piece of advice Ive ever seen and by far takes the darwin award.
I almost wish the mods didn't ban that kid about the water in his fuel tank so we could continue to ridicule him.
terryt5231 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
  #64  
ScoobyZINE
iTrader: (7)
 
AMUA6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ocoee, TN
Posts: 3,986
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Thread revival FTW
AMUA6 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
  #65  
Registered Member
 
dadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY
Age: 33
Posts: 176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
didnt notice the date..lol...what a fail.
dadon is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
  #66  
Registered Member
 
STeelTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: From BK 2 Orlando FL
Age: 37
Posts: 126
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
youre a freaking moron if you think throwing water in your fuel tank is a good idea..LMFAO
STeelTL is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 AM
  #67  
18psi
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
libert69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: long island
Age: 36
Posts: 2,048
Thanked 91 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dadon View Post
I was going to pop my monitor cause of your avatar

question to op

did the fuel line go right underneath the E completely?
From what I remember the fuel line was way under the "E"


Originally Posted by Bayam0n View Post
^what if the OP actually responded?
u never know cuz he might've subscribed to the thread, and see that it has been bumped when he looks at his account...

i subscribe to all of my threads...
O HI

On another note...When the fuel pump was recently removed to upgrade to a walbro, I had a chance to look into the fuel tank with a flashlight. I will NEVER again let the fuel level go below 1/4. I wish I could of taken a picture of the inside of the tank. There was dirt/sediment/crud/stuff on the very bottom of the tank. It wasnt very much. Maybe enough to cover the palm of your hand.

I have 120,000 miles on the car now and Ive always used 93 gas from brand name stations. I bought the car with around 20k miles.
libert69 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 AM
  #68  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 626/714
Posts: 1,752
Thanked 82 Times in 63 Posts
That guy just made my day. Wow...
and to the guy who brought this topic back from the dead
SpiderX1016 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM
  #69  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 119
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69 View Post
From what I remember the fuel line was way under the "E"




O HI

On another note...When the fuel pump was recently removed to upgrade to a walbro, I had a chance to look into the fuel tank with a flashlight. I will NEVER again let the fuel level go below 1/4. I wish I could of taken a picture of the inside of the tank. There was dirt/sediment/crud/stuff on the very bottom of the tank. It wasnt very much. Maybe enough to cover the palm of your hand.

I have 120,000 miles on the car now and Ive always used 93 gas from brand name stations. I bought the car with around 20k miles.
I don't get it. When you fill your tank, doesn't that crud get churned up anyway, therefore will make it's way through the fuel pump? Why would it just sit at the bottom, untouched except when running on "E"?
terryt5231 is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 PM
  #70  
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon View Post
IT is NOT good for Any car or fuel pump to run it out of fuel. The TL has no electronic or computer protection for the fuel pump. The protection is the reserve fuel in the tank when the Yellow light comes on. Most people go and get gas when the needle is pointing at"E" and that yellow light is on. As many people have noted before the TL has VERY generous reserve. The reserve is the fuel pump protection.

For future reference, just think how far you could have made it if you were driving 55mph and not 100mph. You probaly could have made it to the gas station with fuel left over and not endagered your life or anybody elses.
I can't take it anymore I have to comment. The guy Vincent1 shared a pretty funny anecdote where he perceives an outrageous speed as "reasonable" and that's a great joke.
Anyone who missed that one has a stick your ass, and second, backed up his claim with scientific evidence to prove his theory, and so now is the most logical and least douchebag one on here in the current escalated version of this discussion.

I think it's great how this is all recorded for time and all eternity how dude was originally quite sensible and the cocky correctors are now convicted of the moronic thinking they originally accused Mr Vincent of being.

HAAAAAA
Eddie Adams is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM
  #71  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,350
Thanked 5,743 Times in 4,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie Adams View Post
I can't take it anymore I have to comment. The guy Vincent1 shared a pretty funny anecdote where he perceives an outrageous speed as "reasonable" and that's a great joke.
Anyone who missed that one has a stick your ass, and second, backed up his claim with scientific evidence to prove his theory, and so now is the most logical and least douchebag one on here in the current escalated version of this discussion.

I think it's great how this is all recorded for time and all eternity how dude was originally quite sensible and the cocky correctors are now convicted of the moronic thinking they originally accused Mr Vincent of being.

HAAAAAA
Thank you for your contribution
thoiboi is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 AM
  #72  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 63
Posts: 4,517
Thanked 792 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie Adams View Post
I can't take it anymore I have to comment. The guy Vincent1 shared a pretty funny anecdote where he perceives an outrageous speed as "reasonable" and that's a great joke.
Anyone who missed that one has a stick your ass, and second, backed up his claim with scientific evidence to prove his theory, and so now is the most logical and least douchebag one on here in the current escalated version of this discussion.

I think it's great how this is all recorded for time and all eternity how dude was originally quite sensible and the cocky correctors are now convicted of the moronic thinking they originally accused Mr Vincent of being.

HAAAAAA
Somewhere in that post was the comment, "moronic thinking", yup, you nailed it, and apparently have taken it to heart as well.
horseshoez is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM
  #73  
Registered Member
 
wusty23jd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 651
Thanked 66 Times in 51 Posts
wusty23jd is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:18 PM
  #74  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 3,000
Thanked 710 Times in 501 Posts
Ah, another case of posting in the wrong thread. In this case, bringing a nearly 10 year old thread back to life.


losiglow is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
xsilverhawkx
2G TL Problems & Fixes
4
10-05-2015 11:00 AM
Skirmich
Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
4
10-01-2015 12:59 PM
CocheseUGA
Ramblings
28
09-29-2015 02:40 PM
San Yasin
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
21
09-29-2015 10:52 AM
mars
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
1
09-28-2015 11:03 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ran out of gas :(


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.