Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding general maintence

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question regarding general maintence

Ok so i had the car in the dealership for an oil change and ckeck up. The only reason i use the dealership for the oil change is i have a ticket that gives me free oil changes for life at the dealership i bought the car from.
Now to my question. I get a call to tell me that my car is done but there are a few recommendations for items to be replaced.

My question is would i really need to change my timing belt at 50305 miles?

They also recommended flushing the transmission, power steering, and brake fluid. Now i understand that fluids need to be replaced or changed in intervals but 50,000 miles seems really early. Considering i had the brakes done when i bought the car and had new power steering fluid and brake fluid. This was part of the agreement to buy the car. The car had 41,000 miles on it when i bought it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt needs replaced at 105K. There are mixed feelings on tranny intervals... It really depends on how many times they drained/refilled. I *think* brake fluid and PS fluid is every 30K... not totally sure though.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
sometimes dealerships give u recommendations off of mileage rather than actually looking at the fluids.

so if you got them all replaced only 9k ago i would say you should pass on the services
Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We actually just went through some research for the timing belt for my girlfriend's Civic, she only has 60k miles on it but my friend who is a service tech and my better friend who is a Honda master tech both recommended that it be done because he car is almost 7 years old. For the Civic, Honda recommends 105k miles or 7 years because those belts dry rot. That may have been where the recommendation came from if your car is coming up on 7 years, which it may because it's an '04 model year. My master tech buddy said Honda belts tend to dry rot really easily and 7 years is pushing it on most of the cars he's seen.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I was going to say....age plays an important factor when replacing belts.
WRX covered that nicely.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
We actually just went through some research for the timing belt for my girlfriend's Civic, she only has 60k miles on it but my friend who is a service tech and my better friend who is a Honda master tech both recommended that it be done because he car is almost 7 years old. For the Civic, Honda recommends 105k miles or 7 years because those belts dry rot. That may have been where the recommendation came from if your car is coming up on 7 years, which it may because it's an '04 model year. My master tech buddy said Honda belts tend to dry rot really easily and 7 years is pushing it on most of the cars he's seen.
if it were my car i would replace it ... from many threads on here, i have gotten the feeling that age is more important of a factor than mileage
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM

but its also a case by case basis.
if you look at the belt and there are no signs of wear, then its fine.

if you look at the belt and you can clearly see it cracking or dry rotting then definitely get it replaced ASAP.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

My prior Accord had 74k when the dealership recommended the timing belt, i even had to sign some kind of a form that they are no responible if something happens because they strongly recommend the timing belt replaceent.... oh well I have replaced my first timing belt in on that car when the car hit 107k miles at a local shop (much cheaper than dealer) no problems at all... they call it STEALERSHIP for a reason. Good luck in what you decide.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
sorry to say but the dealership is trying to rip you off....

Timing Belt: 105K
Tranny Flush: 60K (but on here people do it a lot more often since the stock Z1 fluid is crap)
Brake Fluid: 30K
PS Fluid: 60K (not really sure on this...its in the owner manual though)
Coolant: 60K

If I were you this is what I would do:

1> Ditch the dealership
2> If you have a hook up in the parts department get: PS fluid, Coolant and 3rd and 4th Transmission sensors from them
3> Get tranny fluid from Redline
4> Get any synthetic engine oil (I use Mobil1 EP 5W-30 with Mobil 1 filter) also get Seafoam, 2 cans of it
5> Get NGK spark plugs from Advance Auto Parts. They are $10 a piece and AAP had a sale of get 40% off (buy worth $50 and get $20 back). Also get a nice filter (air filter and Cabin air filter) from them.

Now that you have everything:

1> Seafoam your car (1 can in engine oil crank case...1/2 can in gas tank[make sure your gas tank has the gas light on, so dont fill gas in her and plan you way around] and the other 1/2 can in the vac port)....Park your car overnight where you gonna work on it the next day....so you dont have to start it to move it around....
2> Change spark plugs
3> Change Air filter
4> Change Cabin Air filter
5> Change engine oil
6> Change Tranny sensors
TILL now the car was cool....now you have to turn the car ON in order to do the coolant so:
7> Change coolant
8> Change PS fluid
9> Do a tranny flush

The only thing remaining here is Brake fluid. Do it when your doing your brakes again. Again all this stuff is very easy. On a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being tough they are between 4-5. This is not only save you ton of $$$ but also help you learn more about ur car....

To do all this it will take you roughly 4-5 hours. Since your a new kid on the block i will give you the link to 3G garage where you can find detailed DIY's by members. So follow the steps and your good to go

ALL THE BEST....

Link to 3G Garage: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the help guys. I think i am going to go the route of trying to do al lthis myself when i get back from vacation. One other question. is it typical to change the waterpump when you change the timing belt? because the dealership recommended that to since i was changing the timing belt.

Also since i am changing the timing belt should I add unorthidox pulley? I was planning on doing it in the future anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to be careful if you're going just by looking at the belt too though....just because it looks fine doesn't necessarily mean that it is. That's another tip I picked up from my master tech friend...he has no reason to deceive me and he's one of the few people I let touch my car.

To be safe I would strongly consider the timing belt before you dismiss it, but you can always get it done for a lot cheaper than the dealership recommends. I just picked up my timing belt kit from Kaleb (wholesalepartsguy) and I'm having my friend do it on the side. Getting your timing belt replaced is a lot cheaper than replacing your engine.

To answer your question, yes you might as well replace the waterpump while you're in there, I'm getting mine done as well. Although 50k miles is a little low for the waterpump that will likely last until 150k+...your choice on that one.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Ok so when i get back from vacation I think I am going to have a maintence weekend. Now the question would be to track down all the parts and pieces I want and do it right the first time.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Sounds like a typical Acura service dept trying to make money by upselling services. They know good and well what the recommended service intervals are and that you don't meet any of them. They're just hoping you're gullible enough to bite off and pay them $$$$.

You've been given some incorrect info in the previous posts. Please read your owner's manual and it will confirm what I am telling you:

1. Timing belt: Do it when the MID tells you to (a "4", which usually happens around 105K. For you, it may happen sooner based on time...who knows?) There is absolutely no mileage and/or time listed in the owner's manual or the service manual, just the MID indication.

2. Brake fluid: Every 3 years independent of mileage, straight from the owner's manual.

3. Power steering fluid: No service interval listed. You sure as heck don't need it flushed if it's only been 9K since the last flush!

4. Transmission fluid: At the earliest, 60K, and only if driving in severe conditions which is defined as "driving in mountainous conditions at very low vehicle speeds". Otherwise, it should be done when the MID tells you to (a "3"). When done, it should be by a 3 x 3 drain and refill procedure. There is an Honda tech article on how this is to be done. There is also a DIY procedure in the 3G Garage.

Yes, it is highly recommended to change the water pump with timing belt.

If you don't have your 04 owner's manual, the online version is here:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...404MAINIDX.pdf
Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Sounds like a typical Acura service dept trying to make money by upselling services. They know good and well what the recommended service intervals are and that you don't meet any of them. They're just hoping you're gullible enough to bite off and pay them $$$$.

You've been given some incorrect info in the previous posts. Please read your owner's manual and it will confirm what I am telling you:

1. Timing belt: Do it when the MID tells you to (a "4", which usually happens around 105K. For you, it may happen sooner based on time...who knows?) There is absolutely no mileage and/or time listed in the owner's manual or the service manual, just the MID indication.
I was on 133K and still didnt get "4" on my MID....i broke down and did my water pump and timing belt....

2. Brake fluid: Every 3 years independent of mileage, straight from the owner's manual.

3. Power steering fluid: No service interval listed. You sure as heck don't need it flushed if it's only been 9K since the last flush!

4. Transmission fluid: At the earliest, 60K, and only if driving in severe conditions which is defined as "driving in mountainous conditions at very low vehicle speeds". Otherwise, it should be done when the MID tells you to (a "3"). When done, it should be by a 3 x 3 drain and refill procedure. There is an Honda tech article on how this is to be done. There is also a DIY procedure in the 3G Garage.

Yes, it is highly recommended to change the water pump with timing belt.

If you don't have your 04 owner's manual, the online version is here:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...404MAINIDX.pdf
I believe its better to be safe than sorry.....brake fluid i would do everytime i do my pads....which is about 1.5 years or 30K miles (sorry i drive a lot)....in other cases i would suggest no longer than 30K miles or 2 years....

tranny fluid....if you wait for 60K miles on the stock Z1 fluid, ur tranny is going to be toast....what i do instead is i do a 1x3 drain and fill every other time i do my oil change....which is 10-15K miles or 6-8 months.....

PS fluid again i do with my brake fluid.....the new PS fluid is clear....the one in the reservoir is red-ish.....i dont see a reason why u wont want to change it out.....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Swoosh, that sounds like more solid advice than waiting for the 4 to pop up.
I really dont think the MID is based off time, and wont know if your car is 10 years old or 7.
the MID is based of mileage.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Need to becareful with the lifetime free oil change thing. they may use cheaper grade oil in your car. i know some shop uses what's called renewable oil which doesn't last as long as the new ones. kinda like recycled oil. not sure if i'm using the right term. anyways, i know they exist.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
Swoosh, that sounds like more solid advice than waiting for the 4 to pop up.
I really dont think the MID is based off time, and wont know if your car is 10 years old or 7.
the MID is based of mileage.
yeah man....i used to rely on the MID but pretty soon i realized its just a damn computer calculating using some formulas....for example i was very inclined towards Z1 ATF....but recently when i did a 3x3 on my ex-girls civic, i noticed that fluid breaks down within 5 minutes of driving....pretty much water came out the 2nd time i did a drain....and i was convinced to move onto Redline ATF....the MID would not even tell me to change the tranny fluid....no wonder so many acuras have had tranny failures....

Originally Posted by prime81
Need to becareful with the lifetime free oil change thing. they may use cheaper grade oil in your car. i know some shop uses what's called renewable oil which doesn't last as long as the new ones. kinda like recycled oil. not sure if i'm using the right term. anyways, i know they exist.
dino oil....i have heard that term....i think thats what they call it right ?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

A side question if I may, and to hit my 5 post quota.

Can I get a maintenance listing of things done to my car from the dealer since it's a CPO? I'm guessing they didn't do much other than change brake pads / tires but was curious about what info I can get about maintenance history....
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
dino oil is just conventional oil. dinosaur oil
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
In the Honda's I have owned it has always said 7years or XXmiles for timing belt changes. I doubt they changed to some new super material for the timing belt in the J series. Rubber ages and it's a fact. I'm at 85k in my 04 and no matter what mileage I am at come spring break next year I am doing the 105k service. Cheap insurance.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by theshawn

Can I get a maintenance listing of things done to my car from the dealer since it's a CPO? I'm guessing they didn't do much other than change brake pads / tires but was curious about what info I can get about maintenance history....
well i did make a list of the maintenance items they do....and i put it in an excel sheet....here it is:

PART INTERVAL
ENGINE OIL 7,500
TRANNY OIL 15,000
PS OIL 30,000
BRAKE FLUID 30,000
COOLANT 30,000

SPARK PLUGS 60,000
TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP 105,000

OIL FILTER 7,500
CABIN FILTER 30,000
AIR FILTER 30,000
TRANNY FILTER 30,000
TRANSMISSION SENSOR 60,000

WIPER when required
BRAKE PADS when required
BRAKE DISC when required
MAG BOLTS when required

150 POINT INSPECTION 105,000
ALIGNMENT 7,500

Originally Posted by pohljm
dino oil is just conventional oil. dinosaur oil
my bad man....i knew i was mixing something up
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tehvine
In the Honda's I have owned it has always said 7years or XXmiles for timing belt changes.....
Well, all I can tell you is what the 3G owner's manual (and service manual) lists and it doesn't list mileage or time, just the MID indication. However, as I said before, the "4" still seems to come around 105K.

As far as time goes (7 years), the early 2004 TL's are coming up on their 7 year anniversary. It'll be interesting to see if some folks with low mileage get a "4" at the 7-year mark....
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by theshawn

They should have given you that when you bought the car. They may or may not still have it on file. I'd just ask them if you don't have the original..
Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by swoosh
I was on 133K and still didnt get "4" on my MID....i broke down and did my water pump and timing belt.....
Wow! Sure you didn't just miss it? Maybe you got a B4 or A4, but just changed oil and didn't notice the 4?

Do you do a lot of highway driving? Even mmade didn't make it that far (think his came up around 110K) and he does tons of highway driving.

Any Acura techs know if the dealer can download MID message history? It'd be interesting to see your MID message history...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:12 PM

nah i never got a 4

i always got a B1/B2/A1/A2....either of these codes....i dont know either how i missed it....i changed my serpentine belt @ 99K and threw UR pulley in there....maybe that messed the computer up ?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM

^^^ that as in new serpentine belt ?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by prime81
That is why I supply the dealership with my own oil and filter. I know someone will say then why dont you just change it yourself. Well this way its free and I dont have to find a place to toss out the old oil and i can use my free time working on other mods for the car.

On a second note:

I called up the dealership and asked them if I could get the parts and then just bring it in and have the dealership put them on and they told me no that would be considered aftermarket modification and they don't do that. If I order Acura parts from a club sponsor using acura parts numbers how would that be considered aftermarket?

So I said well then I will get the work done elsewhere. The service manager then told me that if the car was worked on by another shop and not an acura dealer it would void the warrenty. So now I am wondering with that comment is the work covered by my bumper to bumper extended warrrenty the car came with or was he just trying to force me to deal with the dealership.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JWTL04
....So I said well then I will get the work done elsewhere. The service manager then told me that if the car was worked on by another shop and not an acura dealer it would void the warrenty. So now I am wondering with that comment is the work covered by my bumper to bumper extended warrrenty the car came with or was he just trying to force me to deal with the dealership.
That's total BS. Read pg 197 of your owner's manual (at least for the 04 manual) back to the SM and then watch him backtrack. If I were you, I'd contact the District Manager and complain:

"Your authorized Acura dealer knows
your vehicle best and can provide
competent, efficient service.
However, service at a dealer is not
mandatory to keep your warranties
in effect. Maintenance may be done
by any qualified service facility or
person who is skilled in this type of
automotive service.
Keep all receipts
as proof of completion, and have the
person who does the work fill out the
Maintenance Record. Check your
warranty booklet for more
information.
"
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced

That's total BS. Read pg 197 of your owner's manual (at least for the 04 manual) back to the SM and then watch him backtrack. If I were you, I'd contact the District Manager and complain:

"Your authorized Acura dealer knows
your vehicle best and can provide
competent, efficient service.
However, service at a dealer is not
mandatory to keep your warranties
in effect. Maintenance may be done
by any qualified service facility or
person who is skilled in this type of
automotive service. Keep all receipts
as proof of completion, and have the
person who does the work fill out the
Maintenance Record. Check your
warranty booklet for more
information."
I had not seen that Sweet I do believe I will be calling the district manager to complain. I quess it is safe to say I will not be taking my car back to the dealership for any work that is not covered by warranty or recall.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Race Director

Yeah, it's amazing what one can learn by reading their owner's manual
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Yeah, it's amazing what one can learn by reading their owner's manual
Actually i just fgured out yesterday that the owners manual in my car is missing 26 pages. I found the post that someone had with the downloadable version and began to read it and compare it to my manual and realized that some of the pages had been torn out. So I called up the dealership and let them know and they are ordering me a replacement at no cost.