Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the guys with their headlights modded

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Question for the guys with their headlights modded

I recently had my headlights painted with the amber diffusers taken out so I can rock LED switchback turns because I didn't want to pay $140 for the some clear diffusers.

After putting in the switchback LEDs yesterday, I noticed that there is a hole in the top corner of my passenger's chrome diffuser pit(?). Driver side is normal as expected. For those of you with your diffusers taken out, do you have a hole in the same area as mine? I was told that this is normal for 07-08 model headlights. Please help!

The white paper bag you see in there is a silica bag that i stuffed in the back of the low beams to help suck out any air inside the headlights.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Anybody with an 07-08 and have their diffusers taken out wanna snap a picture of their passenger headlight for me?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
JnC would have an answer for you. Try to PM him.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Are these OEM headlights. I've never seen that in anyof the headlights i've worked on. Depo, OEM 04-06, 07-08 Base and Type-S. Almost look liked it was mocked of for some aftermarket strobe kit.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
yea look closely at the hole the cuts are ruff.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
I cleared the old headlights in my 08 base. There was nothing like that in them. My new ones have the full deflector but I don't think they have a giant hole there either. That is strange.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Okay we can all safely say that the hole there is not normal.

What I'm wondering now is WHO in the world told OP that it is normal for 07/08 headlights
Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
I agree with GP, that is the strangest part of this. That, and how the hole got there in the first place.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Thanks for replying, guys. Bruce was the one who did these for me. He's also the one who told me that they were normal. Which I thought could be true since the amber diffusers would be blocking the view anyway.

As far as I know these are OEMs as I don't think Bruce accepts Depot trade ins. I thought about it more and Nate's reply in regards to the strobe lights would make the most sense as the hole is big enough to poke a strobe light through.

I didn't see this when I first installed the headlights because it was almost midnight when I finally had them on. Either way, I'm a little irritated, first with the condensation, now this. sigh.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Shoulda had one of your buds help you do it!! im sure one of them has done it before haha
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced

He just sent me a bunch of pictures showing them on other lights. Crazy thing is, my driver side cleared and it's supposed to be "abnormal" one. Weird.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
The condensation is normal for freshly done lights... Don't know about the hole though...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
oops is that your face?

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
dude I just checked out my modded lights from Bruce and I have the same hole on both. he obviously took my oems and swapped them out with some cheapos. that would explain my condensation problem that's been going on since the day I had them done months ago and have had him "fix" it multiple times
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by cazio
dude I just checked out my modded lights from Bruce and I have the same hole on both. he obviously took my oems and swapped them out with some cheapos. that would explain my condensation problem that's been going on since the day I had them done months ago and have had him "fix" it multiple times
Ok well before you try to make me look bad, lets explain. The headlights that you gave me had the same holes, and I checked all 32 sets I have and random chrome pieces...all but 4 have the holes.

That being said I didn't replace your oems with 'cheapos' and would never do so. I have a reputation on here and I wouldn't lose it putting 'cheapo' turn signals in your headlights. I "fixed" your headlights because the first time you came there was a problem, then second time I seated your aftermarket JDM password DRLs that weren't in correctly which I didn't install and the fixed them again...it was perfect up until a few days later that it slowly came back. I put several silica packets in your headlights/sucked out air three times and sealed them with 3 layers of sealer. We also checked for leaks every time and there was none. So it leads me to believe that the after market drl bulbs you are using aren't perfect. Yes others have them, but as you said they are crooked which allows air to come in and out. Headlights are made in a air tight wearhouse stock. Your problem comes at night and goes away so the projectors heat for some reason is heating up the trapped air inside your headlight which is conflicting with the outside air and condensation...

I mentioned to you several times to remove that rubber gasket around your DRL since your JDM DRL's are either not made correct/fitting properly but you refuse to remove anything from your headlights when any car guy knows to get rid of unknown condensation is to leave the headlight "opened" somehow for air to release and flow which doesn't leave it "trapped" to condensate.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
oops is that your face?

i was havin the same problem with my halogen drl bulbs as I do now and the bulbs that were crooked were the vled switchbacks that u urself own and don't have any problems with. I've had nothing but problems man with everything and there's no denying that. after all the money in parts I've spent and oem shit I've given u, ud think that u would take pride and time when modding and installing parts but everytime I've been down its in and out service with alot of rushing. I have bolts that won't thread in anymore, missing clips (5¢ but still), I've always defended u bro when people would tell me these things but now I realize. I am in no way telling people to not deal with u or tryin to hurt ur buisness. I wish u the best of luck but I'm done.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor

i was havin the same problem with my halogen drl bulbs as I do now and the bulbs that were crooked were the vled switchbacks that u urself own and don't have any problems with. I've had nothing but problems man with everything and there's no denying that. after all the money in parts I've spent and oem shit I've given u, ud think that u would take pride and time when modding and installing parts but everytime I've been down its in and out service with alot of rushing. I have bolts that won't thread in anymore, missing clips (5¢ but still), I've always defended u bro when people would tell me these things but now I realize. I am in no way telling people to not deal with u or tryin to hurt ur buisness. I wish u the best of luck but I'm done.
The only problem I can tell is the headlights but how would you say that I don't take pride in my work? You yourself heard the headlight every time I vacuumed them and no leaks, just condensation at night which would go away next day. I fixed your chipped tail light/gave you a free side plastic/never charged you even though you offered to fix the headlights/fixed your cf front grill for free which was slashed from road debris and not my fault/ I put all bolts that I take off right on the floor where they go and know these cars inside and out..I always put them back together..maybe it was always missing one/someone tried stealing your lip and took one out/ maybe (not blaming you) but you removed your bumper as well and is it possible you forgot to put it back in, and that one thread problem has been there since the beginning (where the flap end goes). Anyone that comes to me knows I would never "rush" and always take my time. Yes I will admit your headlight is confusing, but its not leaking and it comes and goes so there is some slight trapped air in there. If you hated me like you do, why did you came to me 5 times over 3 hours away round trip and I was always there to answer your questions/help you out. I wrapped your TYPE-S spoiler for free and its NOT an easy job so a crease or two will be there. Is it 100%? no. Have I seen worse? Yes. I held a kit for months without a deposit for you, when ACURA wanted almost $400 for them to change your ballast and I charged less then that for labor/ballast and gave you custom headlights..

Others can say I "forgot" to put in a screw but maybe it wasn't there to start with, maybe it was stripped or ceased and the only way to remove it would be stripping it out? I am not here to argue, but when it comes to being talked about I have to correct the statements.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced

Bruce, since these are both common and uncommon. Would you consider putting some kind of reflector film in the back of the holes for future non-diffusers headlights?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Maybe some headlights just have the hole there and some don't, maybe something during the manufacturing process that happens to some and not others for whatever reason, intentional or not. These headlights weren't designed with the intention of later opening them up and removing that amber diffuser so if there's a hole behind it, its supposed to be hidden.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
That just does not look like something from the factory...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
You would rather call someone out on something so erroneous without talking to bruce first? He has done a lot of work for me and have had 0 issues caused by him.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I haven't had my lights done by Bruce but I've seen his work And it's good. I work on headlights as a side job so I know good quality when I see it.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:28 PM
oops is that your face?

Originally Posted by IamaTL
You would rather call someone out on something so erroneous without talking to bruce first? He has done a lot of work for me and have had 0 issues caused by him.
guess u didnt see the word "multiple"
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
duh...that is to fill blinker fluid....
The following users liked this post:
BlitzBlackGSXR (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Bruce does amazing work and is quite possibly one of the most meticulous with his craft. His love for TL's show everyday with the thousands of mods people have thanks to him. I've gotten my Heads,tails,lights, and trunk swapped thanks to him. The guy will never settle for an OK job from the other work I've seen at his shop while waiting.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced

To be clear, I am not trying to get any kind of rally against Bruce. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same "hole in the headlight" issue like me. I'm surprised with the amount of headlight mods out there that this is somehow a new defect for you some of you guys?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Race Director

I looked in my 04, as well I could with the amber diffuser in there, and I couldn't see anything like this.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I had a dream this happened to my headlights.

Damn I dream of stupid shit.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Race Director

Lol
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking trash about Bruce's work. Your accusing Bruce of swapping your oem headlights for cheapos. Is wrong!!

Your headlights still would not build up condensation even with the hole. The headlights are sealed behind the hole. And the dessicant packs are mounted/stored behind the hole.

I will check my headlights that are oem 2004 not the 2007/2008 sorry. I will see if it has that hole. I purchased new headlights and these oems are boxed up.

I seen other tails and he's flights Bruce worked on. I think they came out very good. He has not worked on my car. But he seems to bd an Honest guy. And to trash talk Him without solid proof would be wrong.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Well to clear this up and focus on this issue only...

I have 32 sets and all but three has holes. But those three sides (random sets), didn't have holes but slits. I am 99.99% that this hole is for the heat to "breathe" from the bulb getting hot as it runs constantly. Our cars use a dual turn signal, parking light and turn signal so they light is constantly on making heat. This is so that the heat can Escape and not melt the plastic amber.

Btw this hole is very tiny as his picture was blown up a bit. It's towards the projector side on the back side of the chrome piece.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced

I wouldn't classify it as a tiny hole. It's about an inch wide, the chrome reflection makes it worse.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Racer

i have said hole, had it for 2 years..no problems..
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Racer

just to add to this..i find it hard to believe that bruce could cut a precise hexagon like that..on both our headlights..in the SAME spot the SAME size
The following users liked this post:
bmore07tls (04-22-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I think its there to vent out the heat....Just make sure you have some teflon tape on the indicators and upper fogs/DRL bulbs....this way there will be a "less" chance of condensation....

also is there anyway to plug those holes?

and there are 2 members who have this issues and both got the headlights done by Bruce?

IMO its a pure coincidence....I have worked on couple items with Bruce and he is a stand up guy....
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced

What threw me off is that my driver's side headlight has no holes in it. Which is why I created this thread.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM
oops is that your face?

yea he does do really good work have my headlights redone and as u can see the paint is bubbled.
here is all the garbage non oem butyl that he used, oh and that's only from one headlight. that's just my headlights by the way, I'm done bashing him but I can only try to explain to u all how many stripped screws from him taking my grill in and out there are, stripped bunper bolts, missing clips, missing headlights support, good luck with ur modding!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Maybe you should just do your own work instead of paying someone else to do it and then whining about it. Its a modded part, its not from a factory so its not gonna be 100% perfect every time. Bruce has been doing this for longer than Ive had both of my TLs and Ive never heard a complaint. I would still buy from him because of his reputation alone
The following 4 users liked this post by Turbocoop:
AckTL05 (04-20-2013), Acura_Dude (04-21-2013), bmore07tls (04-22-2013), TripAcez (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
oops is that your face?

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
Maybe you should just do your own work instead of paying someone else to do it and then whining about it. Its a modded part, its not from a factory so its not gonna be 100% perfect every time. Bruce has been doing this for longer than Ive had both of my TLs and Ive never heard a complaint. I would still buy from him because of his reputation alone
I was just like u and defended Bruce for a long time, well jnc is doing my lights now and it is 100% better work, he actually takes pride in what he does, it's not just a buisness
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

I was just like u and defended Bruce for a long time, well jnc is doing my lights now and it is 100% better work, he actually takes pride in what he does, it's not just a buisness
That's funny because you said the same about my work, and now all of a sudden you say this and that and this and that and blah blah blah... Drive to me 5 times and I install everytbing on a weekend when I don't have to be in work. if I was such a problem why did you come back the next 4 times. Btw everyone he lives hours away from me. So grow up Justin it's over, you got your "headlights fixed" and it's done. Yours not a young kid and if I'm not mistaken almost 30 and arguing on the Internet. Ive done countless favors for you, and you know it. I myself can't take it because your bashing my business so here is my response. You have my number, text me like a mature adult. Everyone on here knows my reputation and even if something happened to go wrong I always bend over backwards to help and make both parties happy..
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM
oops is that your face?

bro no ones arguing I'm simply informing people of my experience, yea everyone I live 2 hours from him and attempted to have things fixed a few times but to no prevail. ur work speaks for itself just like u said, so u have nothing to worry about relax. and if I recall I did contact u first. sorry to the OP for these shenanigans, was just sharing my experiences from my 5 visits so take it for what it's worth. I spent alot of money with u and also gave u all of my stock parts which were in alot better shape, especially my side skirts which I got type s ones that I was told were mint but have rock chips and shit, unlike mine which were immaculate. I also believe this 27 yo found 3 a-spec emblems for u and even gave u one of them for free as a thank u hoping for some of ur wrongs to be righted. instead u sell them for $200 and call it a day. I'm leaving this thread alone now everyone, be smarter about how u go about modding ur car as I jumped the gun

Quick Reply: Question for the guys with their headlights modded