3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud owner of an '08 TLS 5AT Owner - Few Questions and Concerns

Old 03-19-2015, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud owner of an '08 TLS 5AT Owner - Few Questions and Concerns

Hello everyone. Glad to be a apart of the AcuraZine community. Yesterday I became the proud owner of a 2008 TL-TS and couldn't be any happier with the purchase. Picked it up for 15.5K with only 85,000 miles and 1 owner. Carfax was very informative. Maintenance and checks up all done at 15K, 35K and 60K all done at the dealer. Unfortunately the car was in an accident in 2013 involving a front end impact but everything was restored back to working order. The vehicle was purchased at a very trust worthy dealer. I was able to get a whole year of powertrain warranty covering the engine and transmission completely. My question is now with 85,000 miles..... is there anything I should really do to the car?

I was thinking of doing a tranny flush, a seafoam treatment through the gas tank and the PCV valve. I am also considering doing a major tune-up. I also wanted to start using Mobile 1 full synthetic oil. I'm hoping this will last me until I do the major tune up at 105K miles involving the water pump and timing belt. The car is officially 7 years old so should I wait the 105K or should I consider doing this now? My car also leans alot to the left. Maybe I should do a wheel alignment? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

The car runs very smooth and it feels great. I just want to make sure I keep it that way.

Thank you all in advance for your support and input
Old 03-19-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
yes, go get an alignment.

post alignment specs up.

when ever i buy a used car, i change all fluids.
peace of mind knowing that all the fluids are fresh
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:06 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
yes, go get an alignment.

post alignment specs up.

when ever i buy a used car, i change all fluids.
peace of mind knowing that all the fluids are fresh
Thanks. I couldn't agree more. Fluid drain and flush involves what fluids? How much would that generally cost?

Post Alignment specs?

Any input on the seafoam and tune up?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
When you get an alignment done, the place doing it should also give you a print out, showing what the before-alignment specs were and the post-alignment specs. I've only every had alignments done at dealerships and this has always been the norm- not sure if smaller garages will do this aswell, but I imagine they would. Post the print out up!

Also, you should flush the auto transmission fluid (3x3... 3 bottles, flushed and refilled 3 times- it's better to do this on your own, as it's super easy and will save you money), flush the power steering, brake fluid, coolant, and engine oil. I think that's it.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TacoBello
When you get an alignment done, the place doing it should also give you a print out, showing what the before-alignment specs were and the post-alignment specs. I've only every had alignments done at dealerships and this has always been the norm- not sure if smaller garages will do this aswell, but I imagine they would. Post the print out up!

Also, you should flush the auto transmission fluid (3x3... 3 bottles, flushed and refilled 3 times- it's better to do this on your own, as it's super easy and will save you money), flush the power steering, brake fluid, coolant, and engine oil. I think that's it.
That's very interesting. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will have to ask my mechanic for that. I never go to the dealership especially with so many of the horror stories I've heard. The mechanic I have is very good and trustworthy. I am going to have him give the car a good once over. The alignment along with the fluid flush sometime will happen sometime next week.

Any other input?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
As for tb/wp service I would wait until 105k miles (unless the tensioner went bad).
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It's a shame, I would have asked the dealership to pay for the alignment.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Check both air filters- one in the engine compartment, the other behind the glove box.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your car was in an accident and your vehicle is pulling to the left? Hopefully you don't have frame damage. It's important to make sure your car drives straight during the test drive. Knowing the car was in a front end collision is not good news. Hopefully a simple alignment fixes the issue.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 AM
10th Gear

Thank you everyone for the input. I will keep all this in mind for my check up.

Originally Posted by TLperfection
Your car was in an accident and your vehicle is pulling to the left? Hopefully you don't have frame damage. It's important to make sure your car drives straight during the test drive. Knowing the car was in a front end collision is not good news. Hopefully a simple alignment fixes the issue.
I felt more the lean towards the left when driving on the highway but definitely feels like an alignment issue. I didn't feel the lean during the test drive driving locally. The pull is also very random. Doesn't happen all the time but than again I am no mechanic so hopefully the frame is still intact. The dealer is very trustworthy so if there is frame damage they would take care of it.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Also get 3rd and 4th pressure switch replace too.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase!

I picked up my TLS at 12,8k and 79,5XX miles or so.

Anyway isn't a "flush" the wrong thing to do to a transmission? Wouldn't it just be doing a 3x3 fluid replacement without flushing anything out?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayer-33
Congratulations on the purchase!

I picked up my TLS at 12,8k and 79,5XX miles or so.

Anyway isn't a "flush" the wrong thing to do to a transmission? Wouldn't it just be doing a 3x3 fluid replacement without flushing anything out?
correct, and depending on the condition of the car you purchased that price is a steal.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Due_Diligence
correct, and depending on the condition of the car you purchased that price is a steal.
1 lease 1 owner, completely clean title lol :p I know I stole it, car is doing excellent. I'm at 80,070 miles or so now, since late October :p

FYI op I had a full inspection done before purchasing and the mechanic told me and showed me that the tranny fluid was in good shape, we have similar mileage.

Last edited by Slayer-33; 03-20-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM
10th Gear

Thanks everyone and congrats on your new purchase Slayer-33.

Driving the car this weekend I couldnt help but notice a few things with my transmission...whenever I change from Park to D or to R I feel a slight delay and knock back when changing. I haven't felt anything like this when driving. I always have the eBrake on when changing gears if that helps. Based off of everything I have been reading it might be time to change the trans fluid and the pressure switches (Thank you truonghthe and justnspace for the input).

The slight lean towards the left I am hoping a simple alignment will fix. I will try to get pics and post up the specs. (Thanks to justnspace and TacoBello for the info).

The one things I havent been able to clear up is why I hear a popping noise when driving in reverse. It doesnt happen all the time but any ideas what this might be?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

There shouldn't be popping noise while you backing up. As far as the delay you talking about its normal.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
The clunk when switching from P/D to R? If so, it's normal. It shouldn't shake, but if you hear a clicking sound when you're switching gears that's fine.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 AM
10th Gear

Quick question....I have always been a huge fan of seafoam and it did wonders to my 1997 Honda Civic but I never attempted putting seafoam in the oil crankcase. I would like to put seafoam in the crankcase, intake manifold, and gas tank but what would be the correct way to do this? I am due for an oil change (< 15%) which I'm getting today. So should I...

Change oil (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30) and filter - Seafoam gas tank - Seafoam intake manifold - Seafoam oil crankcase - drive around for about a week or so - change oil and filter - change out spark plugs?

Does anyone recommend I do a full seafoam treatment to the car?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by truonghthe
There shouldn't be popping noise while you backing up. As far as the delay you talking about its normal.
What about the bump I get when changing gears? When I change from P to D there is a slight delay and a bump. Is that normal?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

The bump or piping sound as you described only happen when you shift from P to D when park at an incline. On flat ground it should not produce any sound.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

UPDATE:

Ok so I didnt need a wheel alignment. The frame is perfectly intact. I needed to rotate the tires and add air.

My mechanic checked everything. The belts look new, the brakes look great, the mounts look good, the transmission looks good. I just did an oil change.

Now I do have to return to the mechanics because I did notice two things in the past two weeks. This may be a very stupid question but when my car idles sometimes it sounds like a fan turns on and it stays on for about 15-30 seconds and it shuts off. It sounds like the car is overheating but the temo guage doesnt move an inch. Is that normal? I did own a 2003 Saturn VUE and when this fan sound would go off my car would overheat and that lead to a whole mess of problems.

Second thing....When I hit 30mph I hear a long winded sound as if air was going through a wind tunnel or air is hitting a fan. Its not a whining sound but as I increase in speed (more so when I hit 60mph) the sound gets louder and faster and more muffled. It sort of sounds like I have a flat tire but my tires are brand new. Its a very muffled sound. What could this be?

I also decided not to do the seafoam through the intake valve. I have a smooth idle and the motor sounds and feels great. I will continue to just use good gas (BP Premium). I did however put a whole can inside the gas tank.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by densetsu_no_akyura
This may be a very stupid question but when my car idles sometimes it sounds like a fan turns on and it stays on for about 15-30 seconds and it shuts off. It sounds like the car is overheating but the temo guage doesnt move an inch. Is that normal?
Yes, the fans come on and off automatically as needed.
I think the radiator fan is always on, while the adjacent condensor or A/C fan comes on when the engine heat rises (usually when the car is idling because there is no air flow to the radiator) and shuts off when the temp drops.
Also, the A/C automatically cycles on and off if you have the A/C on, or it's in "Auto" mode.

Welcome to AZ.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Will Y. to the rescue!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yes, the fans come on and off automatically as needed.
I think the radiator fan is always on, while the adjacent condensor or A/C fan comes on when the engine heat rises (usually when the car is idling because there is no air flow to the radiator) and shuts off when the temp drops.
Also, the A/C automatically cycles on and off if you have the A/C on, or it's in "Auto" mode.

Welcome to AZ.
Thats a huge relief!

I also read that the long muffled winded sound I am hearing is the propeller shaft?