Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Press Release: Acura Announces Pricing for TL A-SPEC Performance Kit

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031120/lath014_1.html

Acura Announces Pricing for TL A-SPEC Performance Kit
Thursday November 20, 1:00 pm ET

TORRANCE, Calif., Nov. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- The TL A-SPEC package is the latest high-performance accessory offering from Acura and features a variety of components designed specifically for Acura's best-selling sedan. The Acura A-SPEC performance package for the 2004 TL will go on sale December 1, be priced at $5,200 plus dealer installation, and like all A-SPEC kits, be covered under a full factory warranty. The TL A-SPEC kit will include:
* High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
* Lightweight 18x8.5 alloy wheels
* High performance Yokohama 235/40VR18 95W tires
* Performance brake pads (automatic transmission-equipped models)
* Aero kit featuring front air dam, chin spoiler, side skirts and choice
of deck lid or rear wing spoiler
* A-SPEC steering wheel
* A-SPEC badging

"The TL A-SPEC package takes our high-performance accessory program to the next level," said Acura's manager of accessory marketing, Stony Furutani. "Each component, the suspension, the bigger wheels and tires, even the aero kit, is designed to further enhance the TL's impressive performance."

Acura launched its A-SPEC program (formerly Acura Factory Performance) at the 2002 SEMA show with the debut of a performance kit for the RSX Type-S Sports Coupe. The program was spearheaded by Makoto Tamamura of Honda Access Corporation, the developer of the chassis and suspension for the NSX supercar. Its goal is to provide complete dealer-installed accessory packages that highlight Acura's high performance image and conform to Acura's exacting quality standards.

The 2004 TL, which went on sale last month, was dramatically redesigned and enhanced to appeal to performance driving enthusiasts. It features bold new styling, a powerful 270-horsepower engine, sport-tuned suspension and an assortment of leading- edge technology. The TL A-SPEC kit accentuates the aggressive new styling while making the car even more responsive and fun to drive.

The suspension package features track-tuned shocks and springs that lower the car approximately one inch. This package was developed concurrently with the production TL suspension and designed specifically to meet the needs of the most demanding performance enthusiast. To achieve track-like handling in all driving conditions, the spring rates have been modified and a unique balance of compression and rebound damping has been designed into the A-SPEC suspension components. This suspension tuning technique is also utilized in the NSX supercar to help provide the ultimate in handling.

The A-SPEC kit also includes 18-inch alloy wheels. Designed using a new, advanced manufacturing process that provides forged strength and rolled manufacturing ease, the wheel rims are thinner yet stronger than a cast alloy wheel. Also, while they are one-inch larger in diameter, and half an inch wider than the production TL wheels, the A-SPEC wheels are only slightly heavier. They are shod with high performance AVS ES100 235/40VR18 95W Yokohama tires designed specifically for the TL A-SPEC package. These tires provide excellent ride quality, especially for a 40 series aspect ratio, as well as optimum grip and predictable response under high performance conditions.

While 2004 TLs equipped with 6-speed manual transmissions feature powerful 4-piston Brembo front brakes, the A-SPEC kit for automatic transmission- equipped models includes high-performance brake pads. These pads substantially improve fade resistance while providing superior pedal feel and reduced stopping distance.

The package comes equipped with an aero kit that includes either a deck lid or rear wing spoiler. In addition to highlighting the TL's performance-oriented styling, the aero kit helps improve the car's aerodynamics, with wind tunnel testing indicating improvements in both coefficient of drag and coefficient of lift. Interior modifications include a thicker, racing-style A-SPEC steering wheel as well as A-SPEC badging.

Acura A-SPEC is a complete dealer installed accessory package that addresses the demands of performance enthusiasts by providing enhanced handling, aggressive looks, quality and durability, while maintaining the legendary Acura driving experience.

Acura offers a full line of premium performance vehicles through a nationwide network of 260 dealers. The Acura lineup features six distinctive models including the exotic NSX supercar, the 3.5 RL flagship luxury sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX sports sedan, the race-bred RSX sports coupe, and the award-winning MDX luxury sport utility vehicle. For more information about the Acura A-SPEC program or Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com . For media inquiries, please go to www.acuranews.com .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Acura
Old 11-20-2003, 01:54 PM
BOOK EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW!! That`s alot of dough! Wonder if you buy by the piece. Got the Aero kit. What about just the suspension?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Ridiculous amount of money. Kind of throws the whole concept of the TL being such a good value out the window. Plenty of people will buy it just to get noticed though, and then plenty of people will steel the A Spec badges off these cars and put them on their's.

I'm sure the younger guys will eat this thing up. I wonder what the wheels will look like.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Too much for my tastes. I'd rather just get it with areo-kit and i'll do springs & rims on my own.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Instructor

I wonder how much of the price is labor, money for the dealer service department. You can probably buy all the parts and install them yourself after the novelty wears off.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
:wow: :wow: :wow:
Game over for me. That's way too much. Uh-uh.

Somebody's gonna buy here, I'm sure, and love the exclusivity, but I'm just gonna use that $5200 to invest for retirement. Except for spending $600 of it for new tires.

My first thought was actually..."That'd better be Canadian dollars!!!"
Old 11-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally posted by OldGuy
I wonder how much of the price is labor, money for the dealer service department. You can probably buy all the parts and install them yourself after the novelty wears off.

The Acura A-SPEC performance package for the 2004 TL will go on sale December 1, be priced at $5,200 plus dealer installation
Seems like they're saying that the price doesn't include labor... :lol2:
Old 11-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Instructor

$5,200!!!
For that price they better up the HP and torque.
It sounds a little extreme.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Price was $5200 + installation, as in you pay more for installation?

I suppose this is still cheap and good value to those people who buy BMW and MB (customers that Acura seems to go after now) but Acura may just have priced TL A-Spec right out of the current TLS owners price range.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by driver
I suppose this is still cheap and good value to those people who buy BMW and MB (customers that Acura seems to go after now)
Performance wise it makes the TL more competitive, but resale wise you'd be lucky to get 25% of the A-Spec surcharge back when you sell or trade the car.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:24 AM
Cruisin'

Smile

Originally posted by BarryH
Performance wise it makes the TL more competitive, but resale wise you'd be lucky to get 25% of the A-Spec surcharge back when you sell or trade the car.
I'm betting that it'll be less than that, as anyone who bolts on an A-SPEC kit will be screaming, "I plan to abuse my car."

Think I'd simply upgrade to Bridgestone Turanza LH-Z tires (and maybe the A-SPEC springs upgrade if it shows a marked increase in performance) and have a stealthier performance ride for about 30-40% of the price of the A-SPEC kit.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:50 AM
Instructor

I guess this is not out of line pricing since My dealer wants $800 to put a rear spoiler on my car (not) but I won't be paying it.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:06 AM
BOOK EM

I had a 99 M3 Conv. I put almost 4000.00 of upgrades into it(Dinan Perf.,wheels) know what I got back of that amount when I sold it? ZIP!! Actually LOWERED the value of the car!