3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 2008 Acura TL Type S purchase (205,xxx miles)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible 2008 Acura TL Type S purchase (205,xxx miles)

Hello Folks- I have been a long time 3G Acura Tl Type S lurker and now that I have sold my 2001 Acura RL (217,xxx miles) and 2003 Toyota Camry SE,(267,xxx miles) in the last few months, I am ready to move to a combination of the 2. I have found a somewhat local (75 minutes away)2008 Acura TL TYpe S One Owner - No accidents - Garage kept - Very well maintained with all maintenance records. There is a tear in rear seat and a Crack in side view mirror and the Front passenger window motor needs replacement Last passed inspection May 2018. The owner seems firm on his Price of $4,750. No rust either.

It is CBP with Parchment Leather.Timing Belt kit done at 164,xxx in 2016. Drive belts done at 194,xxx. Transmission serviced at 155,xxx, etc...plus previous maintenance under 10 year ownership and repair as needed. There seems to be a folder of service performed, just too numerous to mention over a phone call.

I suppose the question is if the car drives as well as it looks and there are no real blemishes to speak of other than what has been disclosed already, should I run and buy it at $4,750 or try to negotiate although the owner has indicated it is a firm price or should I run away from it? I am also considering a 2003 Lexus GS430 with 209,xxx enthusiast owned and also well cared for for $4,400, but that car is in NC.

I am someone who can work on his own car to a certain extent short of full suspension or timing belt kits, etc....and usually 99.994% of the time never ever beats on his cars and garages them and takes car of what is needed. Is this a good DD car for the next 5-7 years and another 100,000 miles?

Kind thoughts and constructive feedback welcome here.

Thank you,
Drew
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
My initial reaction is that price seems high for a 200k mi example but Ill let more of the seasoned folks here respond with valid technical arguments but for me that would be a no go.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
My initial reaction is that price seems high for a 200k mi example but Ill let more of the seasoned folks here respond with valid technical arguments but for me that would be a no go.

Heard Understood Acknowledged......

Looking at KBB, the pricing "seems in line" or the asking price......
Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: This car is a GREAT buy @ $4750.00! A one owner, no accident, well maintained car, with full maintenance history, ( " 2008 Acura TL TYpe S One Owner - No accidents - Garage kept - Very well maintained with all maintenance records." ) IS A RARE find! If it's as you describe, I would Jump on it! The owner would possibly accept an offer of $4,000 to $4,500. Worth asking.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: This car is a GREAT buy @ $4750.00! A one owner, no accident, well maintained car, with full maintenance history, ( " 2008 Acura TL TYpe S One Owner - No accidents - Garage kept - Very well maintained with all maintenance records." ) IS A RARE find! If it's as you describe, I would Jump on it! The owner would possibly accept an offer of $4,000 to $4,500. Worth asking.

Thanks Frank,. The owner seems firm on $4,750. The minor issues are a slight tear i n the rear seat, the front passenger window does not go up or down and a minor crack in the passenger side mirror has a crack, so there are a few "warts" with the car. Happens over 10 years....

Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

All WARTS listed, are an easy and cheap fix, especially if you have access to a local pick-n-pull salvage yard. I still feel its a good deal @ $4750!
Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced

All WARTS listed, are an easy and cheap fix, especially if you have access to a local pick-n-pull salvage yard. I still feel its a good deal @ $4750!

My thoughts exactly, but still like to buy it for $4,500 which is TBD
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Go there with 4K cash, I guarantee you he’ll take it. Just be like “I’m here with cash” while you show him the money in your hand.

i personally wouldn’t pay more than that, the motor is bulletproof but the transmission is what worries me.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
For the price? Do it. For the one owner w/ all Acura serviced records? No brained. This is a type-S 3g. It needs to go to a good home.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by YungMoola15
Go there with 4K cash, I guarantee you he’ll take it. Just be like “I’m here with cash” while you show him the money in your hand.

i personally wouldn’t pay more than that, the motor is bulletproof but the transmission is what worries me.
That is my feeling as well. I just have this feeling I will like the car and he will not budge on price. It's basically will this car in its current condition not break or have any "MAJOR" repairs in the next 5-7 years as I am looking for a DD. I have a 5 mile commute to work and usually take our Outback on family trips, etc... I would like more than a grocery getter at $4,000-$4,750. If would like to drive the car on weekends on trips longer that 10- 15 miles a day and not worry about driving to the in-laws 100 miles one-way and have the car break-down on the side of the road.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
For the price? Do it. For the one owner w/ all Acura serviced records? No brained. This is a type-S 3g. It needs to go to a good home.
I want a GREAT car at a GREAT price, not just a cheap car.

I test drove a 1999 Lexus GS 400 last week. 167,xxx maintenance all done from timing belt kit to brakes and rotors all the way around to the front suspension re-done. Drove tight and like a beast. Problem was no pride in ownership from a cosmetic perspective. Interior was ok, clean, but slightly worn. Body was great on the right side of car, but the left side it needed the front fender and the front bumper re-sprayed and the hood and roof as well as the silver paint was dull and maybe the rear bumper for good measure as that was chipped up too. Needs hood struts and only has 1 key no fab

Owner is asking $4,000 with extra set of tires and rims and new front spoiler. I offered $3,000 and he countered at $3,500. We finally agreed $3,300 with the car and rims and spoiler, but I could not pull the trigger and I still dream about that car, bit not sure if the thrill of the ride at the time was worth the price of admission.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Pics of the TLS?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Pics of the TLS?
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...searchRadius=0
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Originally Posted by drewb71
That is my feeling as well. I just have this feeling I will like the car and he will not budge on price. It's basically will this car in its current condition not break or have any "MAJOR" repairs in the next 5-7 years as I am looking for a DD. I have a 5 mile commute to work and usually take our Outback on family trips, etc... I would like more than a grocery getter at $4,000-$4,750. If would like to drive the car on weekends on trips longer that 10- 15 miles a day and not worry about driving to the in-laws 100 miles one-way and have the car break-down on the side of the road.
At 200k the car could start nickel and dimeing you to death. I would look at the service history of it very well and make a well thought out decision. Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Don't get me wrong it is probably a great car, but don't expect to not have to replace anything. At least for me, I always feel like the car is perfect when I test drive something but when I get it home and drive for a week you start to feel things out of align or broken and then think back if you made the right call on buying it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
the car looks clean for the mileage but like Breezy said don't expect nothing will need to be replace within the next 6 months or so. I would set an extra funds just in case item might show up after you own the car (if you choose to purchase the car)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Don't get me wrong it is probably a great car, but don't expect to not have to replace anything. At least for me, I always feel like the car is perfect when I test drive something but when I get it home and drive for a week you start to feel things out of align or broken and then think back if you made the right call on buying it.
Heard Understood Acknowledged......Do not expect the car to need nothing in the next 6 months
Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
the car looks clean for the mileage but like Breezy said don't expect nothing will need to be replace within the next 6 months or so. I would set an extra funds just in case item might show up after you own the car (if you choose to purchase the car)

Understood and make no bones of the car needing nothing in the months to come.

My max budget is $5,000 for car and maintenance for the next 6 month-12 months
Old 08-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Throw him $4k cash and save the $1000 for maintenance. Post some pics when you get it!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I would take 4k cash and that leaves you another grand for maintenance. I can almost guarantee the car will need some maintenance if you take ownership....things like 02 sensors, transmission fluid, brake fluid, pressure switches are often over looked and could require swap outs.
If your buying a DD and want it to be reliable, you need to be willing to put some money into the car in order to achieve that...
Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Throw him $4k cash and save the $1000 for maintenance. Post some pics when you get it!
I am and I will, but I have a feeling it will not go that easy....TBD
Old 08-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyGuti
I would take 4k cash and that leaves you another grand for maintenance. I can almost guarantee the car will need some maintenance if you take ownership....things like 02 sensors, transmission fluid, brake fluid, pressure switches are often over looked and could require swap outs.
If your buying a DD and want it to be reliable, you need to be willing to put some money into the car in order to achieve that...
I am and I will, but I have a feeling it will not go that easy....TBD

Understood even a DD needs TLC
Old 08-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Keep us posted, if the guy is smart he’ll take 4k because it’s not worth anything more
Old 08-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by YungMoola15
Keep us posted, if the guy is smart he’ll take 4k because it’s not worth anything more
Well I finally saw and drove the car this evening. It is super clean and well-cared for. Maintenance records going back since new.Oil and transmission fluid refills, 2 timing belts done at 75,000 and 167,xxx. OEM Brakes and rotors replaced as needed.,etc....motor mounts, hoses, etc....Brakes done at 192,xxx
$6-$7,000 in service records for the car. Drove well. Solid and tight. Transmission shifts like butter., Drove on streets and highway, no shimmy when braking or at high speeds. AC is ice cold.

I am in love and would love to have this in my driveway, but if I want it, then it is $4,600. With the exception of the mileage and passenger side window not working it is a solid 7.5 to an 8. Mature owner and it shows in ownership and how the care drives and runs,

Looking at Camry's in the $4-5K price range at !18-150k mile range do not put a smile on my face like the TL- Type S does.

Looked at a 1 owner 2008 Honda Accord EXL V6. 149K winter rims and tires. Body is decent considering, but has some scratchs, a rust bubble forming under a rear fender well and has new brakes and rotors and T belt done at 110K. Driver's seat is ripped and the owner is super nice and chill asking $4,900. I offered $4,400 as it will need new all season tires in the spring and the interior is a 5/6 body the same for the same 10 years, the Acura is to me with getting considering price and condition and service history apples to apples the 08 Acura hands down......

Last edited by drewb71; 08-17-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Hope you bought it. Even at $4600, cars like that don't come around every day. Trust me, I've been searching for an 07-08 for six months. That mileage doesn't scare me, because the engines are bullet-proof, and the 07-08 transmissions are considerably more reliable than previous models. As long as it's accompanied by an Acura Dealer provide service history, this car would be a definite BUY in my book!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I purchased my 2005 6spd TL a little over a year ago with 208,XXX miles on it. Previous owner had all of the previous paperworks from battery tests to timing belt (it was a lot of paperwork to go through). Some minor dents/scratches but that's what I'd expect from a car driven in NY, so that wasn't too much of an issue for me. The price was great ($3,300 with 4 OEM rims and 9 brand new tires included).

Like Frankjnjr said, the engines are basically bullet-proof. There are minor things that can pop up over time which can really start to add up. Happens to me and sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the repairs because eventually I'd be spending more than how much I paid for the car.

Here's a list of a few things that I had to take care of over the 1 year of ownership:
- Intake boot replacement (apparently common in this car)
- Spark plugs
- Manual transmission fluid change
- PCV valve replacement
- Valve adjustment
- Steering rack & pinion replacement
- Power steering pump overhaul (thanks to the garage on this forum for that)
- Tensioner pulley replacement
- Drive belt replacement
- Brake fluid flush
- Brake pad replacement
- Rotor replacement
- Both front lower control arms replaced

As you've probably noticed, most of the things I took care of are minor things, but it starts to add up. Personally, I think the car in question is a great deal because you really don't find too many 3G TL-S in good condition. The biggest consideration would be how much money you're willing to put into your car should things pop up (which they do of course).

A side note, since your car is a higher mileage (like mine), you may or may not have vibrations from your speakers, sunroof, door pockets, etc.. I believe it's normal considering the car is 10+ years old with that many miles on it. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me if you want!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkim4296
I purchased my 2005 6spd TL a little over a year ago with 208,XXX miles on it. Previous owner had all of the previous paperworks from battery tests to timing belt (it was a lot of paperwork to go through). Some minor dents/scratches but that's what I'd expect from a car driven in NY, so that wasn't too much of an issue for me. The price was great ($3,300 with 4 OEM rims and 9 brand new tires included).

Like Frankjnjr said, the engines are basically bullet-proof. There are minor things that can pop up over time which can really start to add up. Happens to me and sometimes I wonder if it's even worth the repairs because eventually I'd be spending more than how much I paid for the car.

Here's a list of a few things that I had to take care of over the 1 year of ownership:
- Intake boot replacement (apparently common in this car)
- Spark plugs
- Manual transmission fluid change
- PCV valve replacement
- Valve adjustment
- Steering rack & pinion replacement
- Power steering pump overhaul (thanks to the garage on this forum for that)
- Tensioner pulley replacement
- Drive belt replacement
- Brake fluid flush
- Brake pad replacement
- Rotor replacement
- Both front lower control arms replaced

As you've probably noticed, most of the things I took care of are minor things, but it starts to add up. Personally, I think the car in question is a great deal because you really don't find too many 3G TL-S in good condition. The biggest consideration would be how much money you're willing to put into your car should things pop up (which they do of course).

A side note, since your car is a higher mileage (like mine), you may or may not have vibrations from your speakers, sunroof, door pockets, etc.. I believe it's normal considering the car is 10+ years old with that many miles on it. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me if you want!
the fluids (brake, transmission, and coolant have been changed regularly over the last 10 years as all as drive the brakes with oem replacements and timing belt kits.

The AC is cold. Speakers are solid and no squeaky moon roof. I’m willing to keep the car in it’s current shape and not let things go unresolved.

The only possible negative and I do not know for sure is the oil pump might need to be replaced. I called the local Honda/Acura Indy specialist and they made a recommendation In February 2018 to the owner to have the oil pump replaced. In reviewing the service records I saw no such note on his service slip from that time it was in the shop.

i am supposed to buy it tomorrow afternoon and plan on going to the house and examining the underneath of the car as well as the driveway where it is parked for any oil spots to see if the oil pump is leaking.

We we shook hands on the price so either I have a good visit tomorrow and buy the car or if I see oil spots and wetness underneath I might have to pass on the car.

TBD
Old 08-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Hope you bought it. Even at $4600, cars like that don't come around every day. Trust me, I've been searching for an 07-08 for six months. That mileage doesn't scare me, because the engines are bullet-proof, and the 07-08 transmissions are considerably more reliable than previous models. As long as it's accompanied by an Acura Dealer provide service history, this car would be a definite BUY in my book!
fhe majority of the records come from a Honda and Acura Indy specialist shop in his town with a solid reputation. The car is solid and you would not suspect it had 204,200 miles on it.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Burning Brakes

( "I see oil spots and wetness underneath I might have to pass on the car." ) I guess the determination will hinge upon weather the oil pump issue, is a SEEP, or a LEAK. I think, most any 10 year old vehicle, with 200K, will have some oil seal issues. There are exceptions. Friend just bought an 06 Ford E250 van, with 205K. When I did a pre-purchase with him, I was totally amazed, ZERO leaks on the underside of the engine. If the 08 your looking at exhibits a significant issue at the oil pump area, maybe you should pass on it. If the pump is just SEEPING, it could possibly wait for the next timing belt service, for repair. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced

( "I see oil spots and wetness underneath I might have to pass on the car." ) I guess the determination will hinge upon weather the oil pump issue, is a SEEP, or a LEAK. I think, most any 10 year old vehicle, with 200K, will have some oil seal issues. There are exceptions. Friend just bought an 06 Ford E250 van, with 205K. When I did a pre-purchase with him, I was totally amazed, ZERO leaks on the underside of the engine. If the 08 your looking at exhibits a significant issue at the oil pump area, maybe you should pass on it. If the pump is just SEEPING, it could possibly wait for the next timing belt service, for repair. GOOD LUCK
i have already asked the owner this morning if he had any oil spots in the driveway (saw the car Friday night with no light of focus on driveway) and he said no oil spots in the driveway.

Obviously i will confirm when I get there later today....

Last edited by drewb71; 08-19-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Details
Old 08-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

IMO: ( " i have already asked the owner this morning if he had any oil spots in the driveway (saw the car Friday night with no light of focus on driveway) and he said no oil spots in the driveway." ) I would expect the owner to say this, even if it's untrue. You will have to get under the car, and judge the severity of the leak yourself. If the oil filter, filter housing, and the drain plug area of the pan are very wet, chances are, most likely, that leak left oil spots on his driveway! Test drive the car, BEFORE you check that area for leaks.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Advanced

IMO: ( " i have already asked the owner this morning if he had any oil spots in the driveway (saw the car Friday night with no light of focus on driveway) and he said no oil spots in the driveway." ) I would expect the owner to say this, even if it's untrue. You will have to get under the car, and judge the severity of the leak yourself. If the oil filter, filter housing, and the drain plug area of the pan are very wet, chances are, most likely, that leak left oil spots on his driveway! Test drive the car, BEFORE you check that area for leaks.
well, I came. I bought. I drove home on a 2008 Acura TL Type S. 80 miles home and smooth solid and quiet.

10 months and 10,000 miles ago all new brake pads and rotors. Drive belts and transmission flush. 2 new tires and 20,000. Score that new ending mounts.

Inlooked under the car and specifically the oil filter and oil pan and saw no wertness or leaks and nothing in the driveway. Even at $4,600 I was looking for a reason not to but the Acura considering mileage and condition, but was just too decent to say no, considering what else is out there in the price range.... looking forward to being Acura TL Type S owner for a long time
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drewb71

well, I came. I bought. I drove home on a 2008 Acura TL Type S. 80 miles home and smooth solid and quiet.

10 months and 10,000 miles ago all new brake pads and rotors. Drive belts and transmission flush. 2 new tires and 20,000. Score that new ending mounts.

Inlooked under the car and specifically the oil filter and oil pan and saw no wertness or leaks and nothing in the driveway. Even at $4,600 I was looking for a reason not to but the Acura considering mileage and condition, but was just too decent to say no, considering what else is out there in the price range.... looking forward to being Acura TL Type S owner for a long time

Glad you purchased the car. I totally would've stolen it from you if I didn't already have a 3G TL. If it makes you feel any better, my oil has been seeping there for more than a year (maybe 2) and hasn't been a problem yet. Just waiting for the right time to address the problem. If your TL-S ever starts to seep/leak oil, just make sure to carry some oil with you in the trunk and make sure to check the oil level frequently and you'll be fine! Welcome to the family!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

CONGRATULATIONS, A wise purchase me thinks.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Advanced

CONGRATULATIONS, A wise purchase me thinks.
I do as well, me thinks too. Time well tell. Lot of money for this TL Type S, but a lot of car for the money as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
don't worry about the oil pump, its happen to all J series engine around 100k miles mark. Your case actually is an easy fix since the next TB is around the corner anyway, just check the engine and trans mounts for busted since these car goes through them roughly around 100k miles as well. Congrats on the purchase tho.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
don't worry about the oil pump, its happen to all J series engine around 100k miles mark. Your case actually is an easy fix since the next TB is around the corner anyway, just check the engine and trans mounts for busted since these car goes through them roughly around 100k miles as well. Congrats on the purchase tho.
Thank you sir. TB was done at 67,xxx, so I have another 40-50,000 miles before the next one, so depends on if and when i see oil.

I do think that the side motor mount needs to be replaced and the spark plugs might be due for replacement as they were done at 11x,xxx. There was also a recommendation from the mechanic to replace the radiator transmission lines.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced

Well, I cleaned the car and put 2 coats of Meguair's cleaner wax on the Acura last night. I definitely want to clay it before the fall, but just had to polish the the ole girl up.Next will be the seats and some leather treatment.....

Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Tx. for the pics., drewb71, looks like a really well kept car.

Quick Reply: Possible 2008 Acura TL Type S purchase (205,xxx miles)