Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PICS! Cleared out my headlights using DIYs on this forum! 3G Garage #G-046

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PICS! Cleared out my headlights using DIYs on this forum! 3G Garage #G-046

GOtta thank 'PPLAPW' and 'subinf' for the info. I read both their DIY's and used their insight. I am just adding my own insight into the job here. I started at 2p and finished at 6p. So 4 hours from bumper off to bumper back on. Gotta say that I'm not that good with my hands but I followed the both instructions and warnings and this is what I got.

Oh... and get some damned gloves. I had these craftsman work gloves. They saved me from many scrapes, cuts, and burns! and be patient... i wasn't and almost screwed up many times.

Here's some pics on the job.

Before:

First things first. .gotta take off the bumber. I just clicked on the link that PPLAPW gave in his DIY.

I didn't really know how to get around this without bending these metal clips ... So I just kinda forced it... Didn't break anything thank god but a piece of the bumper is clipped under this somehow.

After that clip deal, taking off the bumper was a piece of cake. I used a very thin and long screw drive to unclip some of the hooks one at a time, going from the corner of the bumper to the center.

Taking off the bumber took about an hour... b/c I was trying to follow the instructions as I went. It was like everytime I looked back at the instructions there was a new clip that I missed! ha

After the bumper taking out each headlight had its own set of problems. On the right side,the Wiper Fluid Reservoir was blocking my ratchet so I had to unbolt the two bolts I circled and just loosened the one the arrow is pointing too. Luckily every bolt on this job is 10mm so no need for switching.

On the left, there's some kinda sound box(?, in blue) blocking some bolts that you'll need to get to(green arrows). Might as well take it out (one bolt circled in yellow, and just pull the piece off towards the front of the car). It'll make putting the headlight back on a lot easier. Plus, you gotta maneuver the headlight a little to clear the hoodline (red), I guess that goes for both sides.

The fun begins here. Per PPLAPW and subinf's posts I put my headlights in the oven for 20 mins @200 degrees, NO preheat. I lined the oven with some foil, and I happend to put in the headlights upside down b/c there's this kinda of assembly dangling from the bottom and could not get it to go in right. Afterwards, I pulled the assembly outta the oven (had my work gloves on so it wasn't that hot, you might wanna use some oven mitts cuz it is damned hot!). This is where you can use an extra person. I unclipped all the clips around the assembly and then I used a screw driver and wedged the side I marked in yellow (started with the side closest to the center line of the car for each assembly respectively). The silicon iquite gooey a this point and it does come off fairly easily. While I was pulling the lens off I remembered subinf's warnings and my assistant scraped away the silicon witha chopstick as I was pulling them apart.

oh yea...make sure you finish one side before you start the other just so you don't screw up. after I was done with one side i turned off the oven and left the door open as to create the same conditions for the 2nd assembly as i had with the 1st one. I was just being careful, dont know if you really need to go through all that.

Here's where you gotta be patient and I screwed up badly here. Some of the clips holding in the amber lens are flushed against it I didn't know how to break them so I just ended up pulling on the amber piece. BAD IDEA! the black lining holding in the chrome BROKE! luckily my assitant is an ace with the epoxy and we put it back together. you'll also need it to the keep the chrome lining in place . you can bead them here:

After that it's up to you. If you wanna clear out your lights.. well you're almost done. If you wanna black them out... well there's more work ahead. After I took out the amber piece. I used RTV black silicon from Autozone, and lined the grooves of the other assembly (the one with all the reflective material). I wish I had a gun, but I didn't so i just rolled up the tube and used me hands!. after that. pop the whole thing back in the oven again, they say for 20 minutes, but I took it out after 10min and it was plenty gooey. And then just pushed and prodded so everything was flushed. Then after that I went over the outside with the RTV again. and then it's the other side. PHEW!

and VIOLA! here it is!

Oh Oh.. you might want to get the hyper white bulbs for the turn signals and just put them in while you're doing this. No need goin' through all this again to replace the bulbs. I gotta say the stock ones are FUUUUUGLY , but I couldn't tell b/c it was covered by the amber before. They're all yellow and dingy!... i guess i gotta go through all this agian when i get those replacements. ah well. CHEERS!
The following users liked this post:
umit (03-03-2013)
Old 05-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice! Good job!

If only I can get myself to do the same thing.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:04 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
Very nice! Good job!

If only I can get myself to do the same thing.
Exactly... I have been going back and forth on this for a long time. I just don't know if I trust myself to do this... I even went so far as to setup an appt. with a guy here locally to have him do it for like $120... pisses me off I might actually pay someone to do work on my car.....

gatdaammit... great writeup... it might even inspire me to take the plunge and try it myself... Why are these damn things so intimidating?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Great writeup ... why tho would you want to go Hyper white on the turn signal bulbs unless the bulb itself is amber and visable, thus fuggly, .. Isn't there a chrome bulb that when lit looks amber. Myself if I was signalling I 'd prefer to have people seeing an amber light ( which they are used to seeing ) as opposed to a white blinking light and have them wonder what the light is for. Also some areas might have legal issues with white blinking lights on the front of vehicles.

Needess to say your car looks a hell of a lot better with the amber portion gone.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Another worthy addition to the 3G Garage.

G-046: DIY: Clearing Headlight
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103174
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/remote-start-111317/
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sale-3-original-cl-s-tires-dc-area-113031/
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/outkast-album-year-2003-a-130132/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137629
Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
gatdaammit... great writeup... it might even inspire me to take the plunge and try it myself... Why are these damn things so intimidating?
Something that I too think about... and after passing on many opportunities I have come to this:

Don't let the fear of failure stop you trying. I would rather try and fail then to have never given it a shot.

GO FOR IT!

OK pep talk over...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gatdammit
Oh Oh.. you might want to get the hyper white bulbs for the turn signals and just put them in while you're doing this. No need goin' through all this again to replace the bulbs. I gotta say the stock ones are FUUUUUGLY , but I couldn't tell b/c it was covered by the amber before. They're all yellow and dingy!... i guess i gotta go through all this agian when i get those replacements. ah well. CHEERS!

actually, you don't have to go through all that again to replace the bulb. If you simply pull the wheel well lining down, you can reach the blinker bulb from there. Just unplug it, then pull out the bulb.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

good job! thanks to other write-ups, mine came out perfect. it's not mentally challenging, but theres some pain in the ass labor involved. u still have to improvise along the way. i made 2 washers out of my sis' hair clip to hold the parts together after the amber is gone. but i wish i didnt wait until the day after to see the thread about silicone 2 (what i used) Vs. this stuff from Nissan that comes on a roll. it's not silicone, all though they look the same, its the same stuff originally used from the factory. i'd go with that next time.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm not finding any 7443s that are clear off/ super white on.
they are either clear or silver when off, and amber or the same candle light color when on.
or blue when off & superwhite when on.
theres no clear/superwite?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
looks very nice, good job.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Instructor

I want to do this but I havent found a place to put the left over screws that I'll have. Where did you put yours?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:56 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
good job! thanks to other write-ups, mine came out perfect. it's not mentally challenging, but theres some pain in the ass labor involved. u still have to improvise along the way. i made 2 washers out of my sis' hair clip to hold the parts together after the amber is gone. but i wish i didnt wait until the day after to see the thread about silicone 2 (what i used) Vs. this stuff from Nissan that comes on a roll. it's not silicone, all though they look the same, its the same stuff originally used from the factory. i'd go with that next time.

Thats pretty much what I did. I took a washer and glued it to the thing though
Old 05-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... all the tools you really need for this are flathead screwdriver and phillips head screwdriver, a 10mm ratchet (with extension), some elbow grease, and some brain. Oh and you'll need time. it's really not that bad. and if you have somebody there reading the instructions with you and double checking stuff it's even easier!
Old 05-28-2006, 01:39 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gatdammit: You definitely have the courage to get this done while you have not got your plate on your new ride yet. Great write up. Now I really want to do it now, but I probably should install the AEM CAI first.

TL Dude: I like what your statement. Today, I felt the same way, when I have to drill into my trunk to install the OEM deck lip spoiler.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
i'm not finding any 7443s that are clear off/ super white on.
they are either clear or silver when off, and amber or the same candle light color when on.
or blue when off & superwhite when on.
theres no clear/superwite?
Yeah I'm kinda wondering what my options are. I mean the OEM bulbs in there looks dingy, and just plain nasty IMO next to the Xenon Headlights. So that's why I was wondering about the bulbs that were whiter. I have considered the legal issues but in my experience livin' here (Bay Area) cops don't really seem to care about that stuff. I'm also gonna try to run without my front license plate for a while.. see how far that gets me. Yeah and you're right waacow... i don't have my plates yet either.. i just bought this car in March. so if anyone can help me find some good replacement bulbs... i'd like to hear it.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm also currently looking for better white lights to replace the yellow ones. Please, if anyone has any, respond or PM. (I'm pretty sure I've seen a WDP on the forums with nice white ones..)
Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by vandido626
I want to do this but I havent found a place to put the left over screws that I'll have. Where did you put yours?

Old 06-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah I'm kinda wondering what my options are. I mean the OEM bulbs in there looks dingy, and just plain nasty IMO next to the Xenon Headlights. So that's why I was wondering about the bulbs that were whiter. I have considered the legal issues but in my experience livin' here (Bay Area) cops don't really seem to care about that stuff. I'm also gonna try to run without my front license plate for a while.. see how far that gets me. Yeah and you're right waacow... i don't have my plates yet either.. i just bought this car in March. so if anyone can help me find some good replacement bulbs... i'd like to hear it.
Good write-up!

You can buy superwhite turn signal bulbs and spray paint them with a couple light coats of metallic silver spray paint. I used rustoleum metallic silver on a set of amber bulbs for the turn signals on one of my other cars and it looks great. The bulb is silver when off and then lights up amber when the turn signal is on. I've had the bulbs in for a few years and so far there are no cracks in the paint. I masked off the base of the bulbs and then put on a few thin coats, just enough so that I couldn't see the color of the bulb anymore.

It's hard to believe, but the light really does shine through the silver paint. It's somewhat dimmer than it was before but you can easily see the light even during the day.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks guys... all the tools you really need for this are flathead screwdriver and phillips head screwdriver, a 10mm ratchet (with extension), some elbow grease, and some brain. Oh and you'll need time. it's really not that bad. and if you have somebody there reading the instructions with you and double checking stuff it's even easier!
It's hard to tell if you blackemed them out in your pics? I am planning on doing the job with my WDP this coming weekend. Do you have any more pics of the front end? Did you stick with the chrome?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

For people who are looking for a silver bulb that lights up amber, check out www.silverbulbs.com (they are now www.xenonmods.com but same thing). Our bulb number is 7443.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TimeAfterTime
For people who are looking for a silver bulb that lights up amber, check out www.silverbulbs.com (they are now www.xenonmods.com but same thing). Our bulb number is 7443.
Nice search....do they make those in bright white also??? Im tryin to get rid of all YELLOW ..hate it so much!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Looks sick!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Nice search....do they make those in bright white also??? Im tryin to get rid of all YELLOW ..hate it so much!
Here is a link of a member that installed switchback LED's as turn signals. When the lights are on or parking lights on they light up bright white, but when they blink (turn signal, emergency lights) they blink amber. Heres the link.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=headlights

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zoostation
It's hard to tell if you blackemed them out in your pics? I am planning on doing the job with my WDP this coming weekend. Do you have any more pics of the front end? Did you stick with the chrome?

Thanks!
I cleared them... here are some other pics

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155849
zoostation (09-19-2015)
Old 07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL Dude
Something that I too think about... and after passing on many opportunities I have come to this:

Don't let the fear of failure stop you trying. I would rather try and fail then to have never given it a shot.

GO FOR IT!

OK pep talk over...
I want to do so this bad on my car. But, when I had my bmw 318ti I wanted to install the angel eyes by myself and put the head light in the oven. The bottom part melted and the clear casing turns a milky white. So be careful peoplem, I'd hate to read a post of someone turning their headlight casing a milky white because they melted the plastic.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm having problems getting a clean seal in one corner. Any tips? I'm placing them in the oven for the 3rd time.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zoostation
I'm having problems getting a clean seal in one corner. Any tips? I'm placing them in the oven for the 3rd time.
Use factory sealant instead of silicone. If you know a person that works at a shop then they can hook it up; if not then maybe you can purchase some. If you use factory sealant try not to let any get on your skin.
zoostation (09-19-2015)
Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
lol so ur saying you gotta open it up again to put new bulbs in it?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
so i did it and it was a disaster. i had to open and close the driver headlight twice cuz i kept forgetting to put stuff in or i messed up with fingerprints. then the chrome rubbed off for some damn reason and the paint took way too long to dry. i got silicon all over my body and it wont come off and the headlights arent even lined up. its taken over 9 hours to do it right and it didnt even turn out too good.... if you do this; dont do it alone.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

WoW. I'm a new guy with an 05 TL, and I always seem tpo mess this kinda stuff up. Is there anyone in the Chicago land area that has done this that might be able to help me????

PLease.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

it certainly looks very nice~
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks real nice is there anybody that can help me clear my headlights in the bay area near San Francisco? Pays well :p
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
One on the right for me

^ - Yes.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
How about in orlando? lol .. JNC is BUSY!! I want to do it soon, if I wait for JNC, I might not have my headlights done until this summer.. lol
Old 03-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Instructor

nicely done!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Subinf how much are you looking for to clear my headlights?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Subinf please reply me!

My email is ken615aa@yahoo.com

Last edited by Goki666; 04-03-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Instructor

I want to do this SO bad but would in no way trust myself to do it.
Are there shops that are willing to do this?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
this is a great write up, just purchased a set of types headlights, and opened them up to take the clear diffusers out using this method, it was a breeze on, the second one lol, the first one was alittle challenging.

now all I have to do is open up my 05 headlights to put the clear diffusers in, so the type-s headlights will be in the BM soon.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Advanced

I'll be doing this mod in the next few weeks. Now I just need to decide on a color. I may try to find something close to Anthracite to match the car. I don't want to go all the way blacked out.

Also I'll be getting a product like stealth bulbs so they don't show orange when the blinker isn't on.

Quick Reply: PICS! Cleared out my headlights using DIYs on this forum! 3G Garage #G-046