3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OxiClean on leather seat of my TL

Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry OxiClean on leather seat of my TL

Driver side leather seat was kind of getting old and bit dirty on my 2008 TL. I couldn't get it off with regular Leather cleaner so i used Oxyclean. I think it was a mistake. Someone told me Oxyclean isn't for leather. It is great for Plastic and floor mats but not for Leather. It left some what looks like bleached spots on my Tan leather seat. not sure if i should leave it like that or try to make all of the seat look like it is bleached by applying more of it ?? Will it ruin my leather forever ? Car does have 153,000 miles on it.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: OxiClean, NOT a good idea! If your seat trim, is in decent shape, I wouldn't recommend continued use of OxiClean, in an effort to make the rest of the seat, match the bleached area. Another option, DYE the damaged section, with Leather paint, or take the car to an upholstery shop, for evaluation. Another option, If you have access to a Pick-N-Pull salvage yard, would be to replace the damaged seat, entirely. My local Pick-N_Pull, sells the complete seat, for $30.00
The following users liked this post:
Nostradamus (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
I agree with Frank, Maybe you could post a couple pics for us? Before I use any cleaners on leather or actually any material I usually spray it down with a little water that way one area is not affected more than another creating those spots.
Nostradamus (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
IMO: OxiClean, NOT a good idea! If your seat trim, is in decent shape, I wouldn't recommend continued use of OxiClean, in an effort to make the rest of the seat, match the bleached area. Another option, DYE the damaged section, with Leather paint, or take the car to an upholstery shop, for evaluation. Another option, If you have access to a Pick-N-Pull salvage yard, would be to replace the damaged seat, entirely. My local Pick-N_Pull, sells the complete seat, for $30.00
Yes, but is that exact same factory driver side seat from Acura ? i need one for Acura TL 2008. and are these in good condition? are these from junk yard where dead animals are found ? items from these places can carry diseases sometimes. i might take it to the upholstery shop but i have a feeling they will say I have to replace the Leather on the seat which will cost me around $800, i believe. That is little more than i want to spend at the moment especially i am looking into getting into new TLX or RDX.

I agree should stop using Oxyclean. But the bottle saids for Safe use in Upholstery. Isnt' that false advertising ?? It saids safe in Upholstery. Wouldn't you assume it is safe for your car leather seat too ?? Should i sue these guys and make them pay for my car leather seat replacement or repair ??
Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
I agree with Frank, Maybe you could post a couple pics for us? Before I use any cleaners on leather or actually any material I usually spray it down with a little water that way one area is not affected more than another creating those spots.
I agree i should be more careful. It is just that this car is 10 years old now and Driver side leather seat is wrinkly and creveces have dark black streaks in them. I can't get it off with Acura Leather seat cleaners. Not sure if there is truly powerful safe cleaning agent for Leather like this ?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Ive been buying parts from junk yards since I was 16 and I never brought home any diseases but I would definitely wipe them down before installing them. As far as cleaning the leather, If they are pretty dirty I would use warm water and soap with a soft brush or wash cloth. You honestly do not need any fancy cleaners. Gonna need plenty of elbow grease or an old tooth brush for those cracks. It will not look brand new but should improve, then the last step I would use a leather conditioner to help make them soft again. That's why leather cracks, if they are not conditioned they become hard and crack. In my opinion Honda leather is some of the worst Ive seen. Good luck to you
Nostradamus (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
Ive been buying parts from junk yards since I was 16 and I never brought home any diseases but I would definitely wipe them down before installing them. As far as cleaning the leather, If they are pretty dirty I would use warm water and soap with a soft brush or wash cloth. You honestly do not need any fancy cleaners. Gonna need plenty of elbow grease or an old tooth brush for those cracks. It will not look brand new but should improve, then the last step I would use a leather conditioner to help make them soft again. That's why leather cracks, if they are not conditioned they become hard and crack. In my opinion Honda leather is some of the worst Ive seen. Good luck to you
Thank you. However, i am seriously considering suing these Oxyclean company. and having them replace my leather with brand new one. On the Bottle itself states " For Leather seat cleaning, apply Oxyclean and use soft towel to clean off, Do not use the hard plastic bristle on the bottle". LOL. If that isn't a admission to tell the customer it is OK to use on leather seats, i don't know what is..........They say i can use it on Leather seat, now my leather is ruined with white spots, they should pay for false advertising. Am i correct ?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Good idea in theory but it would likely cost more in legal fees to sue them than to purchase an entirely new lower seat assembly. And there's no guarantee you'd win in small claims court so it's both a gamble as well as a losing proposition even if you win.
Nostradamus (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
If your seats were already in bad condition, the cleaner may have had nothing to do it. It is possible that just actually cleaning and scrubbing, you pulled off more of the outer layer of the pleather. One reason someone asked for photos so we can get a better idea of what is going on.
Nostradamus (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackass
If your seats were already in bad condition, the cleaner may have had nothing to do it. It is possible that just actually cleaning and scrubbing, you pulled off more of the outer layer of the pleather. One reason someone asked for photos so we can get a better idea of what is going on.
Ok will try to get photos. but places where Oxyclean was sprayed on and cleaned with cotton cloth like the bottle saids i should do,,,, is looking like that parts were bleached. What that means is that i have Parchment leather/ Tan color leather seats. and those parts where Oxyclean touched looks like patches of bleached looking white areas have formed. i don't know if this can be fixed other than just getting new leather. but that is very expensive.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
Thank you. However, i am seriously considering suing these Oxyclean company. and having them replace my leather with brand new one. On the Bottle itself states " For Leather seat cleaning, apply Oxyclean and use soft towel to clean off, Do not use the hard plastic bristle on the bottle". LOL. If that isn't a admission to tell the customer it is OK to use on leather seats, i don't know what is..........They say i can use it on Leather seat, now my leather is ruined with white spots, they should pay for false advertising. Am i correct ?
HaHa well all I can say is good luck. But yes post some pics so we can see what youre dealing with
Nostradamus (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I think your best course of action is go to a leather repair shop and have them at least give you an estimate. I think trying to get a case adjudicated against a major corporation the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

To start contact their consumer affairs dept and ask some questions and perform some due diligence maybe this is something they have experienced and have a solution for you to try. Also, if you arent the original owner these seats could have been repaired/resprayed and the solution removed that from the leather.
Nostradamus (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Red face

Originally Posted by 08KBP_VA
I think your best course of action is go to a leather repair shop and have them at least give you an estimate. I think trying to get a case adjudicated against a major corporation the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

To start contact their consumer affairs dept and ask some questions and perform some due diligence maybe this is something they have experienced and have a solution for you to try. Also, if you arent the original owner these seats could have been repaired/resprayed and the solution removed that from the leather.
Well, to replace it it is around $700 for driver seat leather. he said it really can't be cleaned anymore, leather is too old in this 2008 TL. i am seriously considering suing this Oxyclean guys. it clearly states it is safe for leather.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
It probably is safe for leather...but not for damaged leather. I'm sure there are plenty of warnings on the label stating to test in a spot prior to using on any material. Same warning that is on all cleaners...especially carpet or fabric cleaners.

Either way, you still have not shared any photos so we can get any idea of what type of condition your seats started in nor what they are in now.
Nostradamus (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Instead of a $700 replacement from either a custom shop or buying OEM Acura skins, contact these folks: https://www.leatherseats.com
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
EvilVirus (07-31-2018), Nostradamus (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Somebody been watching too many infomercials.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Never heard of anyone worrying about diseases from a junkyard. Lol
Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Instead of a $700 replacement from either a custom shop or buying OEM Acura skins, contact these folks: https://www.leatherseats.com
looks great. but how do you put on that leather ?? i am not very good at stitching stuff on the seat
Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

looks great. but how do you put on that leather ?? i am not very good at stitching stuff on the seat
FWIW: I reupholstered the front seat cushion covers, in my 95 Acura Legend. I'm up for most anything, DIY. I'll NEVER , EVER, do another one!
Nostradamus (07-29-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Disclaimer, I haven't done it.

The above legal stuff out of the way, my understanding is the skins come pre-cut and stitched; you zip off the old ones and ever so carefully work/slip/pull/swear the new ones in place and then zip them tight.
Nostradamus (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Disclaimer, I haven't done it.

The above legal stuff out of the way, my understanding is the skins come pre-cut and stitched; you zip off the old ones and ever so carefully work/slip/pull/swear the new ones in place and then zip them tight.

I installed the 100% full leather kit from leatherseats.com. I have a quick DIY posted in my built thread. It's located here, just keep scrolling down. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...878670/page13/

It's not all that terrible to do, just very time consuming. If you haven't done this before, I would suggest having a shop do the install. Call around to get an idea of pricing. Most shops would want to see the kit. Everything is OEM fit, there are a few spots where you need to cut the leather to fit things like the head rests and the rear cup holder in center arm rest.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
EvilVirus (07-31-2018), Nostradamus (07-29-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I know the damage is already done . . . but for others, use 303 Automotive Protectant works very well cleaning car seats and anything inside of TL.
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ve-protectant/

303 Automotive Protectant for LEATHER 3 in 1 COmplete Care spray is also available, but I used regular spray I already had, worked very well cleaning leather plus all interior vinyl & plastic trims. I applied 303 on all plastic and vinyl(do I have any in TL) area liberally with microfiber cloth, the wiped off puddles. My 2006 TL has 102,000 miles, almost always garaged, but still have ugly cracks on leather seats, rarely used rear seats also have cracks.
My TL seats are in much worse condition and more cracks than my other vehicle, 1999 MB ML320 with 226,000 miles, parked under mostly California sun and now in Las Vegas, seriously.

Disclaimer - use this product at your own risk, don't sue me.

Last edited by Sparky16; 08-03-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey Nostradamus, ( " Yes, but is that exact same factory driver side seat from Acura ? i need one for Acura TL 2008. and are these in good condition? are these from junk yard where dead animals are found ? items from these places can carry diseases sometimes." ) Your correct, locating a 2008 TL seat in a Pick-n- Pull salvage yard might be a challenge! However, sourcing such a seat, from a regular salvage yard, would be no problem at all, and YES, these seats are FACTORY seats, identical to the one in your car! Estimated cost, $100. Check out car-part.com. Dead animals, diseases, In my 60 year experience, dealing with salvage yards, Iv'e never encountered a dead animal in a car, nor have I ever contracted a disease. I did find a live, rather large black snake, one time, but it was under the hood, not inside the car. You have another alternative available to you. If the Oxyclean didn't physically dry out, and damage the leather, you could ask the Upholster for an estimate to re-dye the cover. Probably, considerably less expensive than other alternatives.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

I would've started my own thread but I have no pics of proof, but I used a magic eraser on my friend's CL tan leather seats and it worked great. I scrubbed everything before and just couldn't get it to come out great. I would not recommend it on black leather but tan came out amazing. Of course after I put a conditioner on it