Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing worse than a thief...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Nothing worse than a thief...

So like I do a few times out the week, I stayed at my girl's house the other night. I've been parking my car in her neighborhood (which is sketchy at best) for years with no problem. I left out at about 5:30am to head to work and it was pretty dark at the time. I get to work and park in my normal spot, grab with stuff and head in. But something just didn't feel right, so I turned around and took a second look at my car and I see this

Luckily, I took my Summer wheels off early this year or this story could've been a lot worse.

I work hard for my stuff and for someone just to come along and snatch my shit just eats me alive. At this point, I'm kind of unsure what I want to do. The car looks dumb without the kit but I'd hate to spend money just to have it snatched again. I have a garage at my house and that's where she stays when I'm home but I can't always have her locked away. Whatever happens after this car I can honestly say I'm done with modding cars. It's just not worth it to have someone come along and steal what you worked your ass off for. I'm just going to invest in upgrades for my house, that way I can kill the fool that attempts to take it .

Oh and BTW if anyone is in Philly and hears of a Type S CBP front and rear lip for sale, let me know because I'm definitely interested.

Last edited by BlueAc; 10-29-2014 at 06:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:27 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Yes, it is definitely frustrating when things like this happen. The truth is that you'll never likely find out who did it and from a legal perspective, it's not considered a high level crime (so especially in a city like Philadelphia, it's not a priority for the police to investigate the theft). You'll be mad for a while but will eventually just accept it for what it is (believe me, I'd like to see all perps punished properly). I'd go through the comprehensive portion of your insurance and get the TL repaired (what sucks and adds insult to injury is that you're still on the hook for the deductible).

It'll be as good as new (just minus the A-Spec kit), but personally, I wouldn't put it back on even if you can source one - sometimes having an 'attractive nuisance' has a downside- D bags that'll screw with your ride. I had my roof spoiler stolen several years ago while the car was parked at WalMart- I was really mad and wished the thieves all the bad fortune in the world (and made a police report), and of course, nothing came of it.

Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Damn. That is shitty.
That color isn't even made anymore, right? So you'd have to paint too...
I feel for you.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Lowlife's like this are worthless sacks of crap society could do without. I know that notion of feeling violated after someone rips something off/out of your car that you worked to obtain. Don't let them get the best of you by giving up on your passion.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
How much is a front and rear a-spec lip? It can't be a whole lot more than $600, and if he has say a $500 deductible it's kind of a waste.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
Yes, it is definitely frustrating when things like this happen. The truth is that you'll never likely find out who did it and from a legal perspective, it's not considered a high level crime (so especially in a city like Philadelphia, it's not a priority for the police to investigate the theft). You'll be mad for a while but will eventually just accept it for what it is (believe me, I'd like to see all perps punished properly). I'd go through the comprehensive portion of your insurance and get the TL repaired (what sucks and adds insult to injury is that you're still on the hook for the deductible).

It'll be as good as new (just minus the A-Spec kit), but personally, I wouldn't put it back on even if you can source one - sometimes having an 'attractive nuisance' has a downside- D bags that'll screw with your ride. I had my roof spoiler stolen several years ago while the car was parked at WalMart- I was really mad and wished the thieves all the bad fortune in the world (and made a police report), and of course, nothing came of it.

Best of luck with the repairs.
I think I'm going to skip the insurance process and just buy a replacement kit. It's only a little more than my deductible and I've grown accustom to the look of my car with it. I'm looking into options for securing it to the car better.

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Damn. That is shitty.
That color isn't even made anymore, right? So you'd have to paint too...
I feel for you.
According to the vendor only the sides are out of stock, not the front and rear. Hopefully this is true, because I don't feel like dealing with the extra stuff.

Originally Posted by RedRyder
Lowlife's like this are worthless sacks of crap society could do without. I know that notion of feeling violated after someone rips something off/out of your car that you worked to obtain. Don't let them get the best of you by giving up on your passion.
Yea man... it definitely sucks.

Originally Posted by crbnfbr
How much is a front and rear a-spec lip? It can't be a whole lot more than $600, and if he has say a $500 deductible it's kind of a waste.
Yea I'm not going to use insurance, not worth it IMHO. I was quoted $560 for the front and rear.

Last edited by BlueAc; 10-29-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Man....sorry to see this.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
Thats sad.. Have you seen other cars like that in the area that you might spot it.. Or maybe some local listings selling it?

Good luck with the fix, hope it doesn't run you too much and hope it doesn't happen again..
Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
Where in Philly did this happen?

I'm a detective here.
The following 2 users liked this post by TL-GIXXER:
DuoDSG (10-31-2014), EvilVirus (10-30-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry man! this just makes me second guess buying more parts for any car that I mod.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Happens all the time in NYC. Sorry to hear bro. Work hard and pay for what you have, and scums just steal it. But, shit happens. I know my time is coming soon. Sometimes i get lazy and leave my car on the road, instead of putting it in my driveway.

I wish you luck though, be careful
Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
I feel you man, this really sucks. I've had my license plate stolen before and my neighbors reported it right away. What did the cops do? They towed and impounded my car. In the end I was reimbursed for the impound fee after a whole bunch of paperwork.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Sorry to hear. Thieves are the worst.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sorry to hear man. However, even with a completely stock car, you can be a victim of thieves. While I do encourage doing home upgrades, don't stop modding cars!
Old 10-30-2014, 12:04 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
thats messed up man! i know the feeling of having something you worked hard for taken just like that. Damn thefts i hope he/ they burn in hell for that crap dude.. Sorry again
Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
sucks....sorry to see this happen OP.

you have a kit that is rare so no doubt your car was scoped out and you were being watched...IMHO of course.
EvilVirus (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Wow, that is the worst.

Sorry to see that man
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Speculation, but I'm willing to bet its another TL owner. I just don't see why your average joe petty thief would be interested in a lip kit. The majority, if not all thieves go for wheels.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
where this happened in philly? i bet it's either west or south phillly.

That color is pretty rare in philly and i only seen one in my neighborhood. Try to search it on craigslist and you maybe surprise what you find sometimes
Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueAc
So like I do a few times out the week, I stayed at my girl's house the other night. I've been parking my car in her neighborhood (which is sketchy at best) for years with no problem. I left out at about 5:30am to head to work and it was pretty dark at the time. I get to work and park in my normal spot, grab with stuff and head in. But something just didn't feel right, so I turned around and took a second look at my car and I see this

Luckily, I took my Summer wheels off early this year or this story could've been a lot worse.

I work hard for my stuff and for someone just to come along and snatch my shit just eats me alive. At this point, I'm kind of unsure what I want to do. The car looks dumb without the kit but I'd hate to spend money just to have it snatched again. I have a garage at my house and that's where she stays when I'm home but I can't always have her locked away. Whatever happens after this car I can honestly say I'm done with modding cars. It's just not worth it to have someone come along and steal what you worked your ass off for. I'm just going to invest in upgrades for my house, that way I can kill the fool that attempts to take it .

Oh and BTW if anyone is in Philly and hears of a Type S CBP front and rear lip for sale, let me know because I'm definitely interested.
OP that sucks man. Keep an eye out on craiglists or ebay. That color is rare and hope those fucktards get fist in the ass.

Originally Posted by TL-GIXXER
Where in Philly did this happen?

I'm a detective here.
Awesome

Originally Posted by ggesq
sucks....sorry to see this happen OP.

you have a kit that is rare so no doubt your car was scoped out and you were being watched...IMHO of course.
I always wonder what you look like
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks man. I know how it feels like. my 4door integra gsr with jdm front was stolen 2 blocks away from my front door. Shitty way to start a day. Hopefully they get caught.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry to hear. Some things to possibly do:

1) file police report
2) open auto insurance claim
3) start monitoring craigslist now for those items
4) watch the area for cars with the same kit and be suspicious
5) do you have the reciepts maybe there is some identifying number on the kit (serial # or something)?
6) ask neighbors if they saw anything
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Daym bro, sorry to see this! I tell people that bodykits DO get stolen and they're like "ya right!". Freakin crazy. Won't this be covered on insurance? It is theft of an OEM part. Make sure to say the car came new like that and not added on later. You should get the full value for it.

I think everybody here knows what you mean by workin your ass off to be able to reward yourself and have a nice car with all the trimmings; only to have someone take something off. It's a kick to the balls.

I agree with you in one way. This will be my last "hooked up" daily driver too. It's too much stress to constantly worry about where I park and how long I'll be there. The fact that it dictates my choices isn't exactly sensible. No matter where my car is at night it has always been garaged with security since I bought it. I have taken chances on a handful of times but I know I'm nothing but lucky that nothing has happened. Every time I risk it I say never again. I don't need to learn a lesson.

But I disagree that you should stop modding. Wouldn't it be nice that when deciding where to go, you can decide which car you need? My new rule; the next fixed up car will be a toy that will chill in the 2nd or 3rd garage for the weekends. My next daily driver, I'll keep pretty stock so I can use it like.....a car. Just tint and wheels maybe. If it gets stolen or totaled, screw it, get a new one, whatever. I can't say the same about my TL it's not "replaceable" to me. That's the problem.

So don't say bye to modding forever! Just wait till you have the circumstances to have cars for different purposes.
EL BAN (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Damn I'm sorry to hear that, I got my system stolen from my own so called friends so I know how you fee. Before i do anything to my car Viper Alarm with mobile remote is a must! Sorry you have to go through all of this.. dont worry i know it sucks but car-ma is a biot-** and it eventually it will pay its self off.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
When you buy the new lip you should glue it to the bumper.
Its not like you're ever gonna remove it anyways.
I had my Front lip stolen from me one rainy day so I know how you feel . When I purchased the replacement I secured the entire lip to the bumper with glue and added extra screws to the bumper and lip. Also did my side skirts and rear bumper.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 PM
04 Acura TL

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
When you buy the new lip you should glue it to the bumper.
Its not like you're ever gonna remove it anyways.
I had my Front lip stolen from me one rainy day so I know how you feel . When I purchased the replacement I secured the entire lip to the bumper with glue and added extra screws to the bumper and lip. Also did my side skirts and rear bumper.
thats not a bad idea what kind of glue did you used
Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
thieves should be shot....
Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by shotta
thats not a bad idea what kind of glue did you used
I would suggest Marine Epoxy if you truly dont plan on removing the front lip.

I used some normal glass epoxy for my rear visor since I know those get ripped off cars all the time.

Epoxy lasted quite a while but after maybe a year I was able to pull it off without too much fuss.

I redid it with a Marine Epoxy for boats as I figure the epoxy I used was weakened with constant moisture.

Now it is as secure as I can ask and I know the weather wont make it peel.

Not sure if it will come off in time but we'll see.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I recommend you guys getting dashcams for those who live in less-secure areas. The thief im sure is not walking with both those kit pieces so if you can grab a license plate then im sure it would help.

I believe its like 300 bucks for front and rear cameras ready for 24/7 surveillance
Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Sorry to hear that OP. I hate that feeling.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Sorry to hear, but I can relate. I had a VW Scirocco that was plagued with theft many years ago. I always attributed that to the fact that younger people tended to drive rabbits/sciroccos and typically couldn't afford nice stereos or Kamai air dams but definitely wanted them.

I think the TL has gotten cheap enough to attract a demographic that is more crime prone. As a point, I doubt people with Model-S Tesla's have issues with stolen carbon fiber spoilers because that demographic is more affluent in which crime is probably not a big attraction.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
^^Yep exactly. I wasn't as worried back in 2007-2008. I used to park on the street on occasion. Then by 2009-2010 the stories started being told, even in "nice" neighborhoods. Now, it is so commonplace in parts of NYC, NJ and LI to lose a spoiler or Type-S waffles, it's pretty much expected unless you take zero chances.