Sponsored by:

New Triton V6 bulbs are here... but with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
New Triton V6 bulbs are here... but with a problem

Hi.

I received Triton V6 5000k switchback bulbs very recently, and decided to install them in my car.

I discovered quite a big problem, and decided to share it with you.

I need to say that VLeds support was friendly and helpful. I decided to return the whole kit, and I'm going to get 100% of my money back. They know about the issue and they are working to resolve it. I hope that VLeds representative will join discussion and keep us updated, or at least lets us know when new bulbs will be available. I will definitely order a pair then.

I tried to write everything, but video should explain it better :

Hope you can understand me

Couple facts:
- It's 2008 Acura TL, with cleared side marker lights.
- As a workaround, driving with headlights or parking light on all the time would make them work.
- I modified turn signal relay, according to one thread on this forum, so I'm running without load resistors.
- Amazon bulbs are "Partsam" brand, I'm using them since July 2017, and they were $18 when I got them. This exact model is not available anymore.
- Tritons are much brighter, white light is closer to Osram CBIs than old switchbacks.
The following 2 users liked this post by peter6:
skd2k1 (02-23-2018), sockr1 (03-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Wow.. that's a severely annoying defect... Thanks for the vid!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
this is the worst production launch i've seen in a long time! i pre ordered my v6 switchbacks back on Sept 1 to replace my V3 switchbacks which i love, but at 5k the v3 dont' match my CBI the way I want.
i received in my v6 bulbs about a month ago but just got around to installing them last week....HORRIBLE results.

the left bulb had a delay as shown above and makes everything out of sync. the right bulb was even worse. it was a constant yellow (not a switchback) and never blinked at all. It also made all the other lights hyperflash. so a waste of time to install. so i call vleds and they go "oh yea you have the first production batch which has known issues". ok thanks for telling me that before i took time to install them! so they said they will send out a new set when the new updated bulbs are released end of March but they said i have to wait in line even though i pre ordered. ok that sucks.

fast forward to 3 days ago and i get a notice that my new bulbs are shipping, great news right?! last night i go to install them and the production date says 02/2018 (so far so good). i go to install them and the SAME EXACT ISSUES!! so now i wasted more time of installing again only for a horrible product. i currently have a help ticket into them since i now have two sets of these POS bulbs.

i'm hoping they still have an updated version coming end of march because i do think it's going to be a great product, but so far i'm extremely disappointed with vleds. i love their products but to release something this bad is embarrassing. i'll update if i get more info.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Wow, very interesting. Thanks for the update with this. Did you end up selling your V3 switchbacks? I know you mentioned you wanted to sell them this past summer in one of my old threads:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-bulbs-959666/
Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

For me, the most annoying part of this is that they were delayed many times and they cost $150! (or $120 if you pre-ordered).

Switchbacks that I got from Amazon are still working, have 0 delay, and I paid $18 for them. The only problem is bluish color.

Keep the V3s. Too bad I can't buy them anymore.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
Wow, very interesting. Thanks for the update with this. Did you end up selling your V3 switchbacks? I know you mentioned you wanted to sell them this past summer in one of my old threads:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-bulbs-959666/
i am still using them and won't sell them until i get a fully functional and reliable set of v6. i'm hoping they still come through!

Originally Posted by peter6
For me, the most annoying part of this is that they were delayed many times and they cost $150! (or $120 if you pre-ordered).

Switchbacks that I got from Amazon are still working, have 0 delay, and I paid $18 for them. The only problem is bluish color.

keeping the v3 until they figure out what's going on. i'm hoping they have one more updated bulb and that it works for our setup. i still want to eventually use v6 but it has a long way to go before it's good
Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Wow! Glad I didn't purchase these yet. I thought about doing the pre-order but anything new always has issues. Gen3 or later usually works out the quirks, but you wouldn't expect that from Vleds...

Keep us posted. I am looking to get switchbacks in the near future or just go with some cheapy amazon bulbs.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

so we finally got everything figured out after multiple calls and emails to vleds. they said that some of their initial 1157 base adapters were manufactured incorrectly and caused issues like the one i showed. so they sent me out a 3rd set of bulbs as well as new base adapters and everything works great!! i'm so happy it worked out, the new lights look great, very pure colors and very bright. i'll post up pics as soon as i can get some.

so in the end it was both bad bulbs and bad adapters, but if you order and get anything made Feb 2017 or more recent, you'll be fine.

i'll be posting my v3 triton 5k switchbacks up for sale shortly.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

But the adapter just goes straight into the bulb, there's no components inside. They must had added something, or fixed the bulbs.

Anyway, bulbs turn on right away now? Even when parking lights/headlights are off? If so, then we have good news.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Yup everything works as it should and right on time.

They said some of their early production base adapters had too much solder and it didn’t have the right connections. But yes you are right both bulbs were bad they had an incorrect 30ms delay built in when they shouldn’t have that’s why there was a delay.

I feel good about this setup now. Will post pics when i can
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by peter6

150$ for china crap .
WTF, are they made of gold or gives some HP at least ?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
Yup everything works as it should and right on time.

They said some of their early production base adapters had too much solder and it didn’t have the right connections. But yes you are right both bulbs were bad they had an incorrect 30ms delay built in when they shouldn’t have that’s why there was a delay.

I feel good about this setup now. Will post pics when i can
Did you by chance still need the controller like the previous version had? One of my v3 controllers went out and spoke to reps and they said they have discontinued their controllers for the v3 as well as the v3 bulbs. Curious to see if you ran it the way they had it on the site with the resistor only and the built in controller in the bulb?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by nightkid08
Did you by chance still need the controller like the previous version had? One of my v3 controllers went out and spoke to reps and they said they have discontinued their controllers for the v3 as well as the v3 bulbs. Curious to see if you ran it the way they had it on the site with the resistor only and the built in controller in the bulb?
the controller is in the bulb assembly now. No extra controller boxes