AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   New TL Type-S 6MT Owner! (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/new-tl-type-s-6mt-owner-963951/)

lukelikespizza3 10-30-2017 03:45 PM

New TL Type-S 6MT Owner!

11 Attachment(s)
Well it was a long journey, but well worth it. I started by waking up at 2:30am to catch a 3:30am bus from Santa Barbara to LAX. I then had to wait a couple hours and hop on a 8:40am flight to Sacramento. Waited another half an hour or so and the guy from the dealership picked me up. I inspected the car, test drove it, haggled him some more and signed some paperwork. After that I had a long 400 mile drive home. I haven't had much time with the car yet, but with the miles I drove yesterday my first impressions are as follows: 1) This is the comfiest car I've owned 2) This is the fastest car I've owned. During the 7 hour drive back home I thought for sure I would be sore. I dealt with normal stiffness from sitting for so long that day but was surprised on how comfortable the seats were. The lumbar support is phenomenal. This is for sure the quietest cabin I've been in as well, little to no road noise. The stock sound system is decent, but eventually I will be looking into some replacement speakers, tweeters, sub, etc. The suspension is great! Its soft over bumps and imperfections in the road yet tight when cornering, braking, and accelerating. I'm absolutely in love with this car already. So far I don't know what my plans will be for the car in the future as far as mods. The first things I'm going to be taking care of is changing all the fluids, a nice detail, hard wiring my valentine 1, and disconnecting the bluetooth module because it doesn't work and I don't want to drain my battery. Let me know if theres anything else I should inspect or consider replacing!
Forgot to mention: Its a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. 140,000 miles One Owner, but now two ;)

LeVeL 10-30-2017 04:04 PM

Looks good!

Slpr04UA6 10-30-2017 04:05 PM

Very Nice!

I don’t have a 6MT, but a lot of members here swear by GM synchromesh Fluid for the manual trans! There are plenty of threads on this Fluid, if you search google, then add, on acurazine after the question your searching for.

one link for the Fluid info......

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ou-use-915406/

google search.........with more links..

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+synchromesh+trans+fluid+for+acura+tl+6 mt,+on+acurazine?&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJr9efoJ nXAhWGQSYKHUjMDAEQvwUIISgA&biw=375&bih=553

lukelikespizza3 10-30-2017 04:36 PM

Thank you! I will look into the fluid.

LeVeL 10-30-2017 04:50 PM

Best mod ever for a 6-speed:

Steven Bell 10-30-2017 07:48 PM

Looks great, congrats.

gilla_monster 10-30-2017 08:29 PM

Welcome to the club. If any other readers want to join, mine's for sale :toocool:

WDPanda 10-31-2017 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6 (Post 16122544)
Very Nice!

I don’t have a 6MT, but a lot of members here swear by GM synchromesh Fluid for the manual trans! There are plenty of threads on this Fluid, if you search google, then add, on acurazine after the question your searching for.

one link for the Fluid info......

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ou-use-915406/

google search.........with more links..

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+s...iw=375&bih=553

Yes, I was skeptical at first as well, but now I love the stuff. Gets rid of almost all issues with shifting (like sometimes not wanting to go into gear) and makes it extra smooth. Worth it even at $24cdn/quart. You'll need 2.3 quarts.

GhostTL09 10-31-2017 08:39 AM

Nice TypeS. enjoy as this car is a great highway cruiser

sockr1 10-31-2017 10:17 AM

congrats!! it's a phenomenal car and you'll love it. i did something similar to you, i bought mine in norcal (brand new, 4 miles on it) and drove it 6 hours home to socal, you can say after that drive i knew the interior like the back of my hand haha

fishinmagician 10-31-2017 04:38 PM

The arm rest padding is an easy fix. go to an arts and crafts store and get some 1 inch heavy duty foam, it is the green colored foam. take off the arm rest, and heat up the lether and carefully pull it back. there might be some staples holding it in place. cut the foam to size and use some adhesive to put the leather cover back over it.

lukelikespizza3 10-31-2017 10:20 PM

I'll look into this! Glad you noticed because I was really confused on why the leather was so loose right there.

Beak14 10-31-2017 11:36 PM

I don't think I've ever seen one it that color, before - it looks awesome!

Is everything caught up, with regards to maintenance?

Congrats! :drag:

lukelikespizza3 10-31-2017 11:42 PM

The timing belt was replaced 1,000 miles ago. The brakes look and feel great. Clutch is strong, no slipping. No 3rd gear grind or crunch that some report. Tires look almost new. As far as fluids the used dealer said they "serviced it" but I don't trust them. I'd rather change everything myself and then keep track here on out.

hondeducation 11-01-2017 04:29 AM

daaaang, that car looks clean! jealous. and a manual too... wow. how much did you spend if you don't mind? you didn't see anything in socal that you liked?

rockstar143 11-01-2017 07:01 AM

Easily my favorite color, Carbon Bronze.
I have had 2 3G TL's now, and to this day I still miss mine.

What a deal for you, happy you found it.
You're missing the battery cover for the engine bay. I'd get that.
Padding on armrest, as mentioned...I used hot glue and no additional adhesive to pull the cover back over the new foam.
Keep an eye on your dash, I'd highly suggest a covercraft sunshade and window visors to leave the windows cracked. Key is keeping ambient temperature down in the car during the day.
I'm assuming the 105K was done?

Also, I'd delete the checkvalve in the slave cylinder...makes a world of difference along with the short shift kit and the gm fluid mentioned.

You're in for a treat...this is a great car. I drove home about 800 miles from the last one I bought, Ohio to Ft Lauderdale.
:rockstar:

lukelikespizza3 11-01-2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16123546)
daaaang, that car looks clean! jealous. and a manual too... wow. how much did you spend if you don't mind? you didn't see anything in socal that you liked?

I got my car for $10,500 out the door. So it was around $9,500 before taxes. The ones in social I saw were either too expensive, in too rough of shape, or both. Took me a long time to find this beauty so thats why I had no problem hopping on a flight.

rockstar143 11-01-2017 11:05 AM

I almost paid that for one I found up in NJ, I think...same stats more or less...
but it was too much to pay for a 3rd car. :tomato:

fishinmagician 11-08-2017 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16123587)
Easily my favorite color, Carbon Bronze.
I have had 2 3G TL's now, and to this day I still miss mine.

What a deal for you, happy you found it.
You're missing the battery cover for the engine bay. I'd get that.
Padding on armrest, as mentioned...I used hot glue and no additional adhesive to pull the cover back over the new foam.

:rockstar:

Funny you mention it, I actually used hot glue the second time I did mine. The first time I wasn't happy with how it looked, so I redid it. The spray adhesive is a huge pain in the butt. I used hot glue the second time around and it has held up fine.

rockstar143 11-08-2017 12:38 PM

well, really it's the screwing the top and bottom together and pinching that does it...but the glue keeps it taut until it's dry!
Awesome.

hondeducation 11-11-2017 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by lukelikespizza3 (Post 16123731)
I got my car for $10,500 out the door. So it was around $9,500 before taxes. The ones in social I saw were either too expensive, in too rough of shape, or both. Took me a long time to find this beauty so thats why I had no problem hopping on a flight.

awesome, pretty good deal!! if you everrrr, consider getting rid of it... lol!

are you going to do cosmetic mods or performance mods? if so, which first??

lukelikespizza3 11-11-2017 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16130893)
awesome, pretty good deal!! if you everrrr, consider getting rid of it... lol!

are you going to do cosmetic mods or performance mods? if so, which first??

I'm catching up on all the maintenance first, then some cosmetic things like fixing blemishes in the paint, curb rash on the rims, LED lights, tint. Then I'll start with some bolt on performance mods after that.

hondeducation 11-11-2017 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by lukelikespizza3 (Post 16131150)
I'm catching up on all the maintenance first, then some cosmetic things like fixing blemishes in the paint, curb rash on the rims, LED lights, tint. Then I'll start with some bolt on performance mods after that.

what are you going to do about the blemishes? because i was considering doing something about my paint, because it looks like some sort of rust or gunk got caught up in some sprinkler water and wont get out of my paint. if you have an all over or one sided problem like i do, i’m curious what you’ll be trying. i may consider doing a paint correction or something through some detailer, but not sure how much it’ll cost. as for little dings and paint chips, i’ve used the paint pen from acura, and it’ SORTA helps if it’s not in a noticeable area. otherwise, it still is noticeable...

The Chucker 11-12-2017 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16131186)
what are you going to do about the blemishes? because i was considering doing something about my paint, because it looks like some sort of rust or gunk got caught up in some sprinkler water and wont get out of my paint. if you have an all over or one sided problem like i do, i’m curious what you’ll be trying. i may consider doing a paint correction or something through some detailer, but not sure how much it’ll cost. as for little dings and paint chips, i’ve used the paint pen from acura, and it’ SORTA helps if it’s not in a noticeable area. otherwise, it still is noticeable...

Clay bar is a great first step.

lukelikespizza3 11-12-2017 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16131186)

I'm having my detail guy go to work on it. Clay bar, wax, polish, etc. I've had him do work on my past car before and he's amazing. If there's anything he can't touch up then it probably won't be worth it to me to fix it in the short term. It is a 10 year old car after all, it won't be perfect. After a couple years of ownership if I'm still loving it then I'll consider more intensive work.

L8rH8r 11-13-2017 08:35 AM

congrats on your purchase. i am jealous cuz it is an S because that is ultimately what i wanted to get but my budget allowed me to settle for an 06 with 6MT and i can't be happier.

L8rH8r 11-13-2017 08:35 AM

congrats on your purchase. i am jealous cuz it is an S because that is ultimately what i wanted to get but my budget allowed me to settle for an 06 with 6MT and i can't be happier.

bigwavedave25 11-20-2017 09:30 AM

Congratulations on your purchase! The front seats look to be in great condition also, which is something I'm having a hard time finding in 3G TLs with even 100k miles on them. I guess that is due to the southeast (hot as hell) region I live in.

horseshoez 11-20-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bigwavedave25 (Post 16135633)
Congratulations on your purchase! The front seats look to be in great condition also, which is something I'm having a hard time finding in 3G TLs with even 100k miles on them. I guess that is due to the southeast (hot as hell) region I live in.

When I was shopping earlier this year I found cars which were either rusted or had cracked dash panels and torn up seats; I also found some with all of the above. I got lucky and found a car which, based upon the service records, looks like it lived its life in Massachusetts and was stored during the winters while the owner(s) were elsewhere (Florida maybe). I was also looking for a car with less than 70,000 miles, however, when I found this one with 114,000 on the clock I jumped on it; the car was just so clean otherwise.

Long story short, be patient (it took me five months to find mine); sooner or later you'll find what you're looking for.

LoveMyTL-S 11-20-2017 02:36 PM

Wow!!! Very clean!! I'm partial to the color. :toocool: I am on my second TL-S and simply love this model. Enjoy and welcome to Acurazine...........

DMZ 11-23-2017 06:15 AM

Nice find! Carbon Bronze Pearl is the color I really wanted, and if it was available when the 3G TL came out for '04 .................

DMZ 11-23-2017 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by L8rH8r (Post 16131584)

Remember, the '04/5/6 6MT was the 'unofficial' Type-S for those years!

rockstar143 11-23-2017 07:41 AM

Not mine...mine was official as FFFFF~!

showallen 11-30-2017 12:30 PM

Congrats. Looks like a very clean type S manual. I just picked up a 07 type S manual as well back in July and am still in love.

The Chucker 11-30-2017 05:39 PM

I purchased mine about a month ago as well. Same color, but auto with the two-tone gray/black seats. Congratulations on a nice car!

hondeducation 12-02-2017 01:14 AM

you all are lucky bastards! the type s 6 speeds i find lately are either beat to hell, or have waaaaay too many miles (170k+ miles)

Scottwax 12-03-2017 07:28 PM

Good find. 6 speed and looks to be in excellent shape.

1black_seven 12-03-2017 09:17 PM

In the end we all end up paying more for a car whether it's in good condition or not. I kinda got shafted on my 6MT, but over $4k in new parts later it runs smoother than butter on marble.

Douglasflo1 12-04-2017 05:41 AM

Congrats!!! I just purchased my 08 TL Type-S about 3 days ago and I'm supper excited. My previous car was a 1998 Acura Integra LS that I purchased brand new so I've been driving my Integra for almost 20 years and have not had any issues with it. It has 183,000 miles and I know I can drive for many more but it's time for an upgrade.
My TL has so many things that I am constantly learning something new, now I'll sell my Integra and let someone else enjoy it. Wonder if I should keep both???

Sw33p 12-05-2017 11:59 AM

Looks super clean dude! Congrats on the car.