AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   New TL owner question . (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/new-tl-owner-question-976332/)

Acuraman05 01-11-2019 12:24 PM

New TL owner question .

So I am new here . Previous Accord Owner and I just took ownership a month ago of this baby . 05 TL 92,000 original miles . Just had the water pump , transmission , drive belts, timing belt replaced . The oil pump seal was also leaking fixed the main leak but the rear seal has a slight leak however Acura said I should be fine for a while. Should I be concerned ?

Acuraman05 01-11-2019 12:31 PM

Here are the pics

90foxnotch 01-11-2019 12:59 PM

Looks great to me, They already replaced all of the major maintenance items plus it has a new trans? If you have paperwork that's great then. Might want to look up when the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed but that's about it. Enjoy your new car

BreezyTL 01-11-2019 01:23 PM

Looks clean! Did they say the rear main seal was leaking? That should have been replaced while the trans was out.

truonghthe 01-11-2019 02:22 PM

if you don't loose oil much, I won't be loosing sleep over it.

Yvuru 01-11-2019 02:35 PM

Some owners reported they stopped the rear main seal leak by replacing the PCV valve. Replacing the PCV valve is very easy compared to fixing the rear main seal. Good luck! Still love my TL

Acuraman05 01-11-2019 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch (Post 16363545)
Looks great to me, They already replaced all of the major maintenance items plus it has a new trans? If you have paperwork that's great then. Might want to look up when the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed but that's about it. Enjoy your new car

hey im sorry so the transmission Flush has been done it’s on the original tranny as well . Isn’t that superb? That’s rare for these cars and it shifts beautifully

Acuraman05 01-11-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by BreezyTL (Post 16363558)
Looks clean! Did they say the rear main seal was leaking? That should have been replaced while the trans was out.

so so they said the main front one I assume was major leaking which I did smell oil before I had it sealed but the technician said the rear seal was not bad enough to worry about immediately and could wait for a good while just as long as I did the other seal . And in correction to my post the car had a transmission flush done not a tranny replacement . It’s on the original transmission so i guess I’m just concerned about is the rear seal gonna cause issues if I don’t seal it even though the Acura Dealer said don’t sweat it for now . Being that I have spent out 9 grand between the car (6700) and repairs (2000) for all that I mentioned above I had done for the 100k service interval I just want to make sure I protect my investment. This has been my dream car for quite some time I just could never find one in good condition which this one is superb. No cracked dashboard , leather is not worn , everything including navigation works fine . It’s kinda a collector

Acuraman05 01-11-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yvuru (Post 16363612)
Some owners reported they stopped the rear main seal leak by replacing the PCV valve. Replacing the PCV valve is very easy compared to fixing the rear main seal. Good luck! Still love my TL

Great to know . I just bought this one from a private owner here in Atlanta . Took me forever to find one with low miles and no cracked dashboard or torn seats . Everything is immaculate so I assume an older person had the car . I’m the 3rd owner and in correction i had a transmission flush not transmission replacement . This is the original transmission looks like and it shifts like new . So I’m just trying to make sure I protect my investment between the 6700 cash and 2000 in maintenance I just done . I’ve owned several accords so I kinda know how sensitive these cars are to certain things wearing prematurely like mounts , tranny and brakes

truonghthe 01-11-2019 03:16 PM

Did you just said "flush transmission"?

mhtut83 01-11-2019 04:35 PM

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the TL! Mann...I didn't realize how much these cars are worth until I saw how much everyone paid for theirs. I wondered if I had gotten a good deal when I got mine and paid $2450... :dunno:

horseshoez 01-11-2019 05:03 PM

@mhtut83, Please turn off BOLD.

mhtut83 01-11-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16363751)
@mhtut83, Please turn off BOLD.

But I wasn't yelling...

horseshoez 01-11-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16363756)
But I wasn't yelling...

It sure looks like it; please turn it off.

mhtut83 01-11-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16363797)
It sure looks like it; please turn it off.

I can't tell anymore if you are trolling or actually being serious...but OK man.

horseshoez 01-11-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16363826)
I can't tell anymore if you are trolling or actually being serious...but OK man.

No, I am being quite serious; I have no authority around here so any thing I suggest is simply a friendly request. I will tell you this though, it is very annoying and many folks will greatly appreciate it if you lose the bold.

mhtut83 01-11-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16363833)
No, I am being quite serious; I have no authority around here so any thing I suggest is simply a friendly request. I will tell you this though, it is very annoying and many folks will greatly appreciate it if you lose the bold.

I highly doubt that "many folks" find this annoying. So far, it has only been you...asking me to lose the BOLD twice on two separate threads. I actually find it quite hilarious but I will comply.

Jackass 01-11-2019 09:16 PM

I find it annoying as well...but not enough to post. :tomato:

To the OP...nice find. Looks just like mine did about 7 years ago. :toungue:

Keep that dash covered, clean, and what ever magic juice you like. It will eventually crack...but you may be able to hold off for a while longer.

champaned_out 01-11-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16363845)
I highly doubt that "many folks" find this annoying. So far, it has only been you...asking me to lose the BOLD twice on two separate threads. I actually find it quite hilarious but I will comply.

you're not special, keep the bold off but then again i dont think theres an actual rule against it so do what you want but it can be annoying for sure

MyGuti 01-11-2019 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by champaned_out (Post 16363895)
you're not special, keep the bold off but then again i dont think theres an actual rule against it so do what you want but it can be annoying for sure

I post all my updates in bold. It feels more organized lol

mhtut83 01-11-2019 10:39 PM

Sheeesh...guys! I never thought using "bold" type (Notice, I didn't actually use bold letters to type) would cause such a ruckus. I don't think I want to get old...

mhtut83 01-11-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by champaned_out (Post 16363895)
you're not special...

But my mama told me otherwise :wish:

horseshoez 01-11-2019 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16363898)
Sheeesh...guys! I never thought using "bold" type (Notice, I didn't actually use bold letters to type) would cause such a ruckus. I don't think I want to get old...

Not sure what age has to do with it.

mhtut83 01-11-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16363916)
Not sure what age has to do with it.

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16356892)
Maybe my old eyes are more sensitive. :tongue:

I think we might be thread jacking. Let's go back to answering the OP's question.

Midnight Mystery 01-12-2019 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jackass (Post 16363870)
I find it annoying as well...but not enough to post. :tomato:

To the OP...nice find. Looks just like mine did about 7 years ago. :toungue:

Keep that dash covered, clean, and what ever magic juice you like. It will eventually crack...but you may be able to hold off for a while longer.

It's no more annoying than someone who doesn't know how to use social media but tries anyway. I just respect the effort!

Midnight Mystery 01-12-2019 04:54 AM

@OriginalPoster

Awesome deal! Nice TL! Love it! :love:

Acuraman05 01-12-2019 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16363648)
Did you just said "flush transmission"?

did I say the wrong saying .? My apologies . All I know is the transmission has been serviced but not replaced to my knowledge . The car has only had 2 owners in its 13 years and 93k miles here on earth so it still hasn’t been broken in yet in its sweet spot at 100k lol. But it drives like new . However I’m not surprised because Honda makes it lol

horseshoez 01-12-2019 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Acuraman05 (Post 16363952)

did I say the wrong saying .? My apologies . All I know is the transmission has been serviced but not replaced to my knowledge . The car has only had 2 owners in its 13 years and 93k miles here on earth so it still hasn’t been broken in yet in its sweet spot at 100k lol. But it drives like new . However I’m not surprised because Honda makes it lol

I guess that was a cautionary statement by @truonghthe, basically, never allow anybody to "flush" your transmission; instead you should opt for what is referred to as a "3x3" fluid change. What's a 3x3? Simply this, drain the ATF, fill the tranny back up with roughly three quarts of new Honda DW-1 ATF, drive a bit, repeat the process, and then repeat the process once again.

truonghthe 01-12-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Acuraman05 (Post 16363952)

Nothing you said is wrong, Honda does not recommend flush the ATF. Even in the dealer they recommend drain and fill cycle through out the gears until the fresh fluid preset, flush can damage the AT.

mhtut83 01-12-2019 10:05 AM

I'm actually curious as to what does "flushing" entails. Don't they just drain and fill the fluids when a "flush" is performed? Unless I'm not understanding the process, not exactly sure how it could damage the transmission? Enlightened me please.

horseshoez 01-12-2019 12:07 PM

A classic "flush" is where they hook a machine up to the transmission cooling lines and then force ATF backwards through the transmission. Not surprisingly, flushing is not healthy for most automatic transmissions.

truonghthe 01-12-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16364065)
A classic "flush" is where they hook a machine up to the transmission cooling lines and then force ATF backwards through the transmission. Not surprisingly, flushing is not healthy for most automatic transmissions.

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16364012)
I'm actually curious as to what does "flushing" entails. Don't they just drain and fill the fluids when a "flush" is performed? Unless I'm not understanding the process, not exactly sure how it could damage the transmission? Enlightened me please.

What horseshoez said is true, however if you get any chunk of clutch material wear over time can clog the solenoid sensor or within the valve body causing the transmission to not shifting properly (failure). This apply to auto transmission only.

Acuraman05 01-13-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16364010)
Nothing you said is wrong, Honda does not recommend flush the ATF. Even in the dealer they recommend drain and fill cycle through out the gears until the fresh fluid preset, flush can damage the AT.

ok so I checked the Carfax again and now it shows where I let Acura “Chage Transmission Fluid” or “Service Transmission “ is what I think it’s listed as . I thought that was so cool how it updated that quick on the carfax but now I’m wondering why it didn’t update I had the belts replaced as well as the water pump done 🤔🤔

Acuraman05 01-13-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16363970)
I guess that was a cautionary statement by @truonghthe, basically, never allow anybody to "flush" your transmission; instead you should opt for what is referred to as a "3x3" fluid change. What's a 3x3? Simply this, drain the ATF, fill the tranny back up with roughly three quarts of new Honda DW-1 ATF, drive a bit, repeat the process, and then repeat the process once again.

wow . Thanks . I screenshot this for my own knowledge lol 😂