New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen. - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen.

Hello All!

A proud new owner of a third gen TL Base with Manual transmission with 190K on the clock. I'm planning on doing the TB/Water Pump service soon. Did the pads/rotors all around and just replaced the motor mounts (they were shot!) with Innovative Solid Mounts. Did the Tein Street Basis coilovers. Everything else seems fine. Will do the plugs along with TB/WP. Is there anything else I should do maintenance-wise? I know these motors run forever. But I need a pretty reliable car to daily to lug around two baby seats soon, so if there's anything else I should look into, please chime-in. Thanks in advance.
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-08-2018, 07:47 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Age: 34
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I would add fluids and air filter to your list.
NCTLS is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 95
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
PCV valve is cheap and an easy replace, takes literally 1-2 minutes. Most won't be replaced in their life sadly but it can fix/prevent ton of issues.
jaydubz is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:09 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NCTLS View Post
Congrats and welcome. I would add fluids and air filter to your list.
Yup: Planning on Getting ACDelco 10-4014 Friction Modified Synchromesh to D/F tranny fluid. Will flush radiator fluid as well. Already did the Air filter (Intake and Cabin) Thank you!

Originally Posted by jaydubz View Post
PCV valve is cheap and an easy replace, takes literally 1-2 minutes. Most won't be replaced in their life sadly but it can fix/prevent ton of issues.
That's on my list as well.

Here's what I have on my Amazon Prime list of things to order:
1) Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit
2) Aisin THH-009 Thermostat + Gasket
3) OEM Camshaft/Crankshaft Seal Kit
4) ACDelco 10-4014 Friction Modified Synchromesh
5) NGK 6994 IZFR6K-11 Plugs
6) OEM Honda PCV Valve 17130-RCA-A02

I think that's all I got so far. Any more suggestions for maintenance or any specific parts I should look into? Highly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Jackass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: KCMO Burbs
Age: 42
Posts: 1,876
Thanked 354 Times in 273 Posts
Don't ignore the rest of the fluids in the car.....bleed the brakes and replace the power steering fluid.
Jackass is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:21 AM
  #6  
Rotrex + Comptech TLer
 
Saving4aTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 820
Thanked 88 Times in 77 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!
Saving4aTL is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Saving4aTL For This Useful Post:
mhtut83 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
So while installing my Aspec Rear lip on the TL, I noticed there's some oil leak right down by the oil pan. I asked my mechanic to check it out. He said that it could be from the crankshaft seal (known issue on these TLs) and maybe from the Power Steering pump or the valve cover gasket. I am planning on doing the seals when I do the TB/WP service and will do the valve cover gaskets as wells. However, I want to change the O-rings on the Power Steering Pump to see if it will solve the issue. Starting from small/easier things first. Now my question is, would the O-rings failure on the PS Pump cause the fluid leak? Or how do I differentiate the PS Pump failure VS leak due to O-rings failure? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 PM
  #8  
Rotrex + Comptech TLer
 
Saving4aTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 820
Thanked 88 Times in 77 Posts
Got pics?
Saving4aTL is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Queens, New York
Age: 22
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking at my PS Pump since I got the car (been about two years now). I tried almost everything from doing a PS Fluid wash to essentially rebuilding the pump (there's a good DIY on the forums here). First thing you can do is look at your PS Pump. If you notice a buildup of sludge (i.e. the PS Pump is black), then you should consider replacing the o-rings within the pump followed by a fluid wash with genuine Honda PS Fluid (~$5/bottle) from the dealership. If your power steering is back and you don't hear a whining noise when you turn the wheel, then your PS Pump is good to go. If you're still experiencing a whine when turning the steering wheel, then you should consider replacing the PS Pump altogether.

But this is assuming your steering rack is fine.

Power Steering Pump Overhaul (essentially a basic rebuild) - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

If you did have pictures, however, that would be a lot more helpful. Take a look at your steering rack from the engine bay and you'll easily be able to tell if your rack is failing.

Also, if you're planning on doing the valve cover gaskets yourself, make sure you also replace the spark tube seals!
jkim4296 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jkim4296 For This Useful Post:
mhtut83 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296 View Post
I spent a lot of time looking at my PS Pump since I got the car (been about two years now). I tried almost everything from doing a PS Fluid wash to essentially rebuilding the pump (there's a good DIY on the forums here). First thing you can do is look at your PS Pump. If you notice a buildup of sludge (i.e. the PS Pump is black), then you should consider replacing the o-rings within the pump followed by a fluid wash with genuine Honda PS Fluid (~$5/bottle) from the dealership. If your power steering is back and you don't hear a whining noise when you turn the wheel, then your PS Pump is good to go. If you're still experiencing a whine when turning the steering wheel, then you should consider replacing the PS Pump altogether.

But this is assuming your steering rack is fine.

Power Steering Pump Overhaul (essentially a basic rebuild) - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

If you did have pictures, however, that would be a lot more helpful. Take a look at your steering rack from the engine bay and you'll easily be able to tell if your rack is failing.

Also, if you're planning on doing the valve cover gaskets yourself, make sure you also replace the spark tube seals!
Thank you for the insight. I actually did the TB/WP service today and my mechanic said there's definitely leaking from the PS Pump itself. There's a build-up of sludge and it does wine when I turn the steering wheel. Did the O-rings a couple weeks ago. Didn't really solve the issue. So I am looking into getting it replaced. I checked online and there's such a wide range of prices from $65 to $130 for a PS Pump. Any recommendations for an aftermarket one?
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 218
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jaydubz View Post
PCV valve is cheap and an easy replace, takes literally 1-2 minutes. Most won't be replaced in their life sadly but it can fix/prevent ton of issues.
Funny thing is last week I had taken my 07 Type S in for oil change,trans service,cabin and engine air filter. I'm religious with my servicing and the tech suggested changing the PCV valve.My car has 172k on it so I said sure do it. I don't know what it is but now when vetch kicks in you can REALLY feel it.Like a stronger linear pull that my car hadn't demonstrated before,,,just weird .Placebo effect?..I dunno but its is very noticible now.Maybe my filter was that dirty lol.
6MTSSR is offline  
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 3,999
Thanked 696 Times in 527 Posts
Placebo effect.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 12-27-2018, 07:43 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Queens, New York
Age: 22
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
Thank you for the insight. I actually did the TB/WP service today and my mechanic said there's definitely leaking from the PS Pump itself. There's a build-up of sludge and it does wine when I turn the steering wheel. Did the O-rings a couple weeks ago. Didn't really solve the issue. So I am looking into getting it replaced. I checked online and there's such a wide range of prices from $65 to $130 for a PS Pump. Any recommendations for an aftermarket one?
The issue with aftermarket ones are that they tend to fail sooner than OEM ones (as expected due to the difference in build quality). However, depending on the company you choose to go with, you may have lifetime warranty with an aftermarket part or a limited 2-year warranty for a remanufactured one with a core exchange. So itíd really be your personal preference, but I think a lifetime warranty sounds better to me lol.

Also, some aftermarket PS Pumps wonít come with the actual pulley so youíd have to take it to a shop that can swap it out for you. I think I went with one from Amazon. If I can find the link once I get home, Iíll share it with you.
jkim4296 is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 04:37 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
GhostTL09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,145
Thanked 98 Times in 88 Posts
PS Pulley is easy to take off and put back on, just loosen and tighten it before you unscrew the PS pump assembly
GhostTL09 is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 05:32 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09 View Post
PS Pulley is easy to take off and put back on, just loosen and tighten it before you unscrew the PS pump assembly
There was a small crack on PS Pump return hose. And I just had it replaced today. Let's see if that solves the issue. If not, then my next step would be to replace the PS Pump.
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 PM
  #16  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 3,999
Thanked 696 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
There was a small crack on PS Pump return hose. And I just had it replaced today. Let's see if that solves the issue. If not, then my next step would be to replace the PS Pump.
Can I ask a small favor of you; would you lose the bold type, it makes it sound as if you're yelling at the rest of us. Thanks in advance.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:13 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez View Post
Can I ask a small favor of you; would you lose the bold type, it makes it sound as if you're yelling at the rest of us. Thanks in advance.
Ha! I thought CAPITALIZING WAS YELLING?
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:20 PM
  #18  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65,374
Thanked 14,396 Times in 10,780 Posts
It is
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM
  #19  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65,374
Thanked 14,396 Times in 10,780 Posts

welcome to the boards...
Sounds like you're a seasoned mechanic...gonna be fun tinkering on the J.
I miss mine a lot...
Upload a few pictures...we're lazy and words are hard!
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post

welcome to the boards...
Sounds like you're a seasoned mechanic...gonna be fun tinkering on the J.
I miss mine a lot...
Upload a few pictures...we're lazy and words are hard!
Thank you! Well, I'm actually NOT that mechanically inclined. I could do a few simple stuff on my own. But I live in the city and have no garage. So anything I do, it has to be done on the streets. Right now, its too cold out to do anything. So I have been bringing the TL to a local mechanic shop do the work. I have a build thread on the 3G TL Photography page where I've uploaded all the pics.
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 PM
  #21  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65,374
Thanked 14,396 Times in 10,780 Posts
What fun is that?!
Put it in here!

Yeah, I feel you, man...I went from a one to a 3 to a 2 car garage to now I have space for my tools in my gf's garage but have to work in the driveway in 80 degree weather.
I guess I shouldn't complain!
rockstar143 is offline  
Old 12-29-2018, 01:00 AM
  #22  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 3,999
Thanked 696 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
Ha! I thought CAPITALIZING WAS YELLING?
All caps is just another form of yelling.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 AM
  #23  
Moderator
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)
iTrader: (6)
 
rockstar143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 65,374
Thanked 14,396 Times in 10,780 Posts
I think bold isn't yelling...just caps!
rockstar143 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rockstar143 For This Useful Post:
Saving4aTL (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
iTrader: (2)
 
horseshoez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Age: 62
Posts: 3,999
Thanked 696 Times in 527 Posts
Maybe my old eyes are more sensitive.
horseshoez is online now  
Old 12-29-2018, 12:46 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143 View Post
I think bold isn't yelling...just caps!
AND Exclamation mark?!
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Queens, New York
Age: 22
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296 View Post


The issue with aftermarket ones are that they tend to fail sooner than OEM ones (as expected due to the difference in build quality). However, depending on the company you choose to go with, you may have lifetime warranty with an aftermarket part or a limited 2-year warranty for a remanufactured one with a core exchange. So itíd really be your personal preference, but I think a lifetime warranty sounds better to me lol.

Also, some aftermarket PS Pumps wonít come with the actual pulley so youíd have to take it to a shop that can swap it out for you. I think I went with one from Amazon. If I can find the link once I get home, Iíll share it with you.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away for some other obligations. How has your PS been since you replaced the cracked hose? I hope it's been doing fine!

The PS Pump I bought:
Amazon Amazon
PS Pulley that I wish I saw earlier:
Amazon Amazon

Again, because these are aftermarket, don't think it'll fix your PS forever lol. Mine's been alright so far, but I'm just waiting for it to fail at some point due to the nature of aftermarket parts in general lol.
jkim4296 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 PM
  #27  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296 View Post
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away for some other obligations. How has your PS been since you replaced the cracked hose? I hope it's been doing fine!

The PS Pump I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JMD1X1...233_lv_dp_vv_d
PS Pulley that I wish I saw earlier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ULQXP...233_lv_dp_vv_d

Again, because these are aftermarket, don't think it'll fix your PS forever lol. Mine's been alright so far, but I'm just waiting for it to fail at some point due to the nature of aftermarket parts in general lol.
Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered a PSP from Amazon already. Its got good reviews and the price seemed to be OK so I pulled the trigger. Should be here sometimes next week.



My next question is, is it essential that I replaced the pulley as well? Mine seems to be in OK shape and was thinking of just reusing it.

As far as the oil leak goes, the main leak seems to have stopped after replacing the oil filter housing gasket, Vtec solenoid gasket and O-rings (Thank God! It wasn't from the whole oil pump assembly!). Now there's some oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the front. I've already ordered the gasket kit. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I could do both the plugs and the valve cover gaskets.
mhtut83 is online now  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM
  #28  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Queens, New York
Age: 22
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhtut83 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered a PSP from Amazon already. Its got good reviews and the price seemed to be OK so I pulled the trigger. Should be here sometimes next week.



My next question is, is it essential that I replaced the pulley as well? Mine seems to be in OK shape and was thinking of just reusing it.

As far as the oil leak goes, the main leak seems to have stopped after replacing the oil filter housing gasket, Vtec solenoid gasket and O-rings (Thank God! It wasn't from the whole oil pump assembly!). Now there's some oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the front. I've already ordered the gasket kit. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I could do both the plugs and the valve cover gaskets.
oh nice! Good to hear . Could you link the PS Pump you ordered just for future reference? Lol.

To answer your question, it isnít essential to use a new pulley, just easier for some people. If Iím not mistaken, various people have said that you need a high torque impact wrench to be able to take off the pulley. I took my pump to my mechanic and had him remove the pulley and put it onto my new pump as a result. If you have all the necessary tools, then I donít think itíd be much of an issue for you, especially if the pulley seems to be okay!

Ahhh youíre lucky! The Acura dealership told me my oil pump was leaking, but that could also just be them trying to get some money off of me lol. I plan on doing all the oil leak work once I change my clutch. And yeah, I would say wait to do some work because working in the cold sucks. Just make sure you check your oil once in a while and add as needed . Thatís what Iíve been doing and no problems yet. Takes some pocket change from my wallet but it beats running your car on little to no oil lol.
jkim4296 is offline  
Old 01-06-2019, 10:14 PM
  #29  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 125
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296 View Post


oh nice! Good to hear . Could you link the PS Pump you ordered just for future reference? Lol.

To answer your question, it isnít essential to use a new pulley, just easier for some people. If Iím not mistaken, various people have said that you need a high torque impact wrench to be able to take off the pulley. I took my pump to my mechanic and had him remove the pulley and put it onto my new pump as a result. If you have all the necessary tools, then I donít think itíd be much of an issue for you, especially if the pulley seems to be okay!

Ahhh youíre lucky! The Acura dealership told me my oil pump was leaking, but that could also just be them trying to get some money off of me lol. I plan on doing all the oil leak work once I change my clutch. And yeah, I would say wait to do some work because working in the cold sucks. Just make sure you check your oil once in a while and add as needed . Thatís what Iíve been doing and no problems yet. Takes some pocket change from my wallet but it beats running your car on little to no oil lol.
Sure. This is where I ordered mine. Its a few bucks more but reviews have been positive
2004-2008 Acura TL Power Steering Pump 2004-2008 Acura TL Power Steering Pump
mhtut83 is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cuseC08
2G CL Transmission Recall Q & A
3
12-17-2018 10:14 PM
mrantman88
Third Generation TL (2004-2008)
18
05-24-2012 09:35 PM
DK 1&2
2G CL Problems & Fixes
0
05-20-2012 01:00 AM
9632tl
First Generation TL (1996-1998)
10
03-28-2011 02:40 PM
rai_281
Second Generation CL Discussion (2000-2003)
6
11-03-2010 05:36 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.