AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen. (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/new-owner-190k-3rd-gen-975470/)

mhtut83 12-08-2018 05:05 PM

New Owner of 190K 3rd Gen.

Hello All!

A proud new owner of a third gen TL Base with Manual transmission with 190K on the clock. I'm planning on doing the TB/Water Pump service soon. Did the pads/rotors all around and just replaced the motor mounts (they were shot!) with Innovative Solid Mounts. Did the Tein Street Basis coilovers. Everything else seems fine. Will do the plugs along with TB/WP. Is there anything else I should do maintenance-wise? I know these motors run forever. But I need a pretty reliable car to daily to lug around two baby seats soon, so if there's anything else I should look into, please chime-in. Thanks in advance.

NCTLS 12-08-2018 06:47 PM

Congrats and welcome. I would add fluids and air filter to your list.

jaydubz 12-08-2018 09:57 PM

PCV valve is cheap and an easy replace, takes literally 1-2 minutes. Most won't be replaced in their life sadly but it can fix/prevent ton of issues.

mhtut83 12-08-2018 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NCTLS (Post 16346515)
Congrats and welcome. I would add fluids and air filter to your list.

Yup: Planning on Getting ACDelco 10-4014 Friction Modified Synchromesh to D/F tranny fluid. Will flush radiator fluid as well. Already did the Air filter (Intake and Cabin) Thank you!

Originally Posted by jaydubz (Post 16346554)
PCV valve is cheap and an easy replace, takes literally 1-2 minutes. Most won't be replaced in their life sadly but it can fix/prevent ton of issues.

That's on my list as well.

Here's what I have on my Amazon Prime list of things to order:
1) Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit
2) Aisin THH-009 Thermostat + Gasket
3) OEM Camshaft/Crankshaft Seal Kit
4) ACDelco 10-4014 Friction Modified Synchromesh
5) NGK 6994 IZFR6K-11 Plugs
6) OEM Honda PCV Valve 17130-RCA-A02

I think that's all I got so far. Any more suggestions for maintenance or any specific parts I should look into? Highly appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Jackass 12-10-2018 08:47 AM

Don't ignore the rest of the fluids in the car.....bleed the brakes and replace the power steering fluid.

Acura TL Builder 12-11-2018 10:21 AM

Welcome to Acurazine!

mhtut83 12-17-2018 09:14 PM

So while installing my Aspec Rear lip on the TL, I noticed there's some oil leak right down by the oil pan. I asked my mechanic to check it out. He said that it could be from the crankshaft seal (known issue on these TLs) and maybe from the Power Steering pump or the valve cover gasket. I am planning on doing the seals when I do the TB/WP service and will do the valve cover gaskets as wells. However, I want to change the O-rings on the Power Steering Pump to see if it will solve the issue. Starting from small/easier things first. Now my question is, would the O-rings failure on the PS Pump cause the fluid leak? Or how do I differentiate the PS Pump failure VS leak due to O-rings failure? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Acura TL Builder 12-17-2018 10:32 PM

Got pics?

jkim4296 12-27-2018 03:31 PM

I spent a lot of time looking at my PS Pump since I got the car (been about two years now). I tried almost everything from doing a PS Fluid wash to essentially rebuilding the pump (there's a good DIY on the forums here). First thing you can do is look at your PS Pump. If you notice a buildup of sludge (i.e. the PS Pump is black), then you should consider replacing the o-rings within the pump followed by a fluid wash with genuine Honda PS Fluid (~$5/bottle) from the dealership. If your power steering is back and you don't hear a whining noise when you turn the wheel, then your PS Pump is good to go. If you're still experiencing a whine when turning the steering wheel, then you should consider replacing the PS Pump altogether.

But this is assuming your steering rack is fine.

Power Steering Pump Overhaul (essentially a basic rebuild) - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

If you did have pictures, however, that would be a lot more helpful. Take a look at your steering rack from the engine bay and you'll easily be able to tell if your rack is failing.

Also, if you're planning on doing the valve cover gaskets yourself, make sure you also replace the spark tube seals!

mhtut83 12-27-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jkim4296 (Post 16356145)
I spent a lot of time looking at my PS Pump since I got the car (been about two years now). I tried almost everything from doing a PS Fluid wash to essentially rebuilding the pump (there's a good DIY on the forums here). First thing you can do is look at your PS Pump. If you notice a buildup of sludge (i.e. the PS Pump is black), then you should consider replacing the o-rings within the pump followed by a fluid wash with genuine Honda PS Fluid (~$5/bottle) from the dealership. If your power steering is back and you don't hear a whining noise when you turn the wheel, then your PS Pump is good to go. If you're still experiencing a whine when turning the steering wheel, then you should consider replacing the PS Pump altogether.

But this is assuming your steering rack is fine.

Power Steering Pump Overhaul (essentially a basic rebuild) - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

If you did have pictures, however, that would be a lot more helpful. Take a look at your steering rack from the engine bay and you'll easily be able to tell if your rack is failing.

Also, if you're planning on doing the valve cover gaskets yourself, make sure you also replace the spark tube seals!

Thank you for the insight. I actually did the TB/WP service today and my mechanic said there's definitely leaking from the PS Pump itself. There's a build-up of sludge and it does wine when I turn the steering wheel. Did the O-rings a couple weeks ago. Didn't really solve the issue. So I am looking into getting it replaced. I checked online and there's such a wide range of prices from $65 to $130 for a PS Pump. Any recommendations for an aftermarket one?

6MTSSR 12-27-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaydubz (Post 16346554)

Funny thing is last week I had taken my 07 Type S in for oil change,trans service,cabin and engine air filter. I'm religious with my servicing and the tech suggested changing the PCV valve.My car has 172k on it so I said sure do it. I don't know what it is but now when vetch kicks in you can REALLY feel it.Like a stronger linear pull that my car hadn't demonstrated before,,,just weird .Placebo effect?..I dunno but its is very noticible now.Maybe my filter was that dirty lol.

horseshoez 12-27-2018 06:22 PM

Placebo effect.

jkim4296 12-27-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16356199)
Thank you for the insight. I actually did the TB/WP service today and my mechanic said there's definitely leaking from the PS Pump itself. There's a build-up of sludge and it does wine when I turn the steering wheel. Did the O-rings a couple weeks ago. Didn't really solve the issue. So I am looking into getting it replaced. I checked online and there's such a wide range of prices from $65 to $130 for a PS Pump. Any recommendations for an aftermarket one?

The issue with aftermarket ones are that they tend to fail sooner than OEM ones (as expected due to the difference in build quality). However, depending on the company you choose to go with, you may have lifetime warranty with an aftermarket part or a limited 2-year warranty for a remanufactured one with a core exchange. So it’d really be your personal preference, but I think a lifetime warranty sounds better to me lol.

Also, some aftermarket PS Pumps won’t come with the actual pulley so you’d have to take it to a shop that can swap it out for you. I think I went with one from Amazon. If I can find the link once I get home, I’ll share it with you.

GhostTL09 12-28-2018 03:37 PM

PS Pulley is easy to take off and put back on, just loosen and tighten it before you unscrew the PS pump assembly

mhtut83 12-28-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GhostTL09 (Post 16356638)
PS Pulley is easy to take off and put back on, just loosen and tighten it before you unscrew the PS pump assembly

There was a small crack on PS Pump return hose. And I just had it replaced today. Let's see if that solves the issue. If not, then my next step would be to replace the PS Pump.

horseshoez 12-28-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16356679)
There was a small crack on PS Pump return hose. And I just had it replaced today. Let's see if that solves the issue. If not, then my next step would be to replace the PS Pump.

Can I ask a small favor of you; would you lose the bold type, it makes it sound as if you're yelling at the rest of us. Thanks in advance.

mhtut83 12-28-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16356714)
Can I ask a small favor of you; would you lose the bold type, it makes it sound as if you're yelling at the rest of us. Thanks in advance.

Ha! I thought CAPITALIZING WAS YELLING?

rockstar143 12-28-2018 06:20 PM

It is

rockstar143 12-28-2018 06:21 PM

:rofl:
welcome to the boards...
Sounds like you're a seasoned mechanic...gonna be fun tinkering on the J.
I miss mine a lot...
Upload a few pictures...we're lazy and words are hard!

mhtut83 12-28-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16356722)
:rofl:
welcome to the boards...
Sounds like you're a seasoned mechanic...gonna be fun tinkering on the J.
I miss mine a lot...
Upload a few pictures...we're lazy and words are hard!

Thank you! Well, I'm actually NOT that mechanically inclined. I could do a few simple stuff on my own. But I live in the city and have no garage. So anything I do, it has to be done on the streets. Right now, its too cold out to do anything. So I have been bringing the TL to a local mechanic shop do the work. I have a build thread on the 3G TL Photography page where I've uploaded all the pics.

rockstar143 12-28-2018 10:38 PM

What fun is that?!
Put it in here!

Yeah, I feel you, man...I went from a one to a 3 to a 2 car garage to now I have space for my tools in my gf's garage but have to work in the driveway in 80 degree weather.
I guess I shouldn't complain!

horseshoez 12-29-2018 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16356717)
Ha! I thought CAPITALIZING WAS YELLING?

All caps is just another form of yelling.

rockstar143 12-29-2018 09:46 AM

I think bold isn't yelling...just caps!

horseshoez 12-29-2018 11:04 AM

Maybe my old eyes are more sensitive. :tongue:

mhtut83 12-29-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 16356876)
I think bold isn't yelling...just caps!

AND Exclamation mark?!

jkim4296 01-06-2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jkim4296 (Post 16356248)

The issue with aftermarket ones are that they tend to fail sooner than OEM ones (as expected due to the difference in build quality). However, depending on the company you choose to go with, you may have lifetime warranty with an aftermarket part or a limited 2-year warranty for a remanufactured one with a core exchange. So it’d really be your personal preference, but I think a lifetime warranty sounds better to me lol.

Also, some aftermarket PS Pumps won’t come with the actual pulley so you’d have to take it to a shop that can swap it out for you. I think I went with one from Amazon. If I can find the link once I get home, I’ll share it with you.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away for some other obligations. How has your PS been since you replaced the cracked hose? I hope it's been doing fine!

The PS Pump I bought: PS Pulley that I wish I saw earlier:
Again, because these are aftermarket, don't think it'll fix your PS forever lol. Mine's been alright so far, but I'm just waiting for it to fail at some point due to the nature of aftermarket parts in general lol.

mhtut83 01-06-2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jkim4296 (Post 16360203)
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was away for some other obligations. How has your PS been since you replaced the cracked hose? I hope it's been doing fine!

The PS Pump I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JMD1X1...233_lv_dp_vv_d
PS Pulley that I wish I saw earlier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ULQXP...233_lv_dp_vv_d

Again, because these are aftermarket, don't think it'll fix your PS forever lol. Mine's been alright so far, but I'm just waiting for it to fail at some point due to the nature of aftermarket parts in general lol.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered a PSP from Amazon already. Its got good reviews and the price seemed to be OK so I pulled the trigger. Should be here sometimes next week.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0e068ba0ca.png https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...83a6896b5d.png

My next question is, is it essential that I replaced the pulley as well? Mine seems to be in OK shape and was thinking of just reusing it.

As far as the oil leak goes, the main leak seems to have stopped after replacing the oil filter housing gasket, Vtec solenoid gasket and O-rings (Thank God! It wasn't from the whole oil pump assembly!). Now there's some oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the front. I've already ordered the gasket kit. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I could do both the plugs and the valve cover gaskets.

jkim4296 01-06-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mhtut83 (Post 16360361)
Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered a PSP from Amazon already. Its got good reviews and the price seemed to be OK so I pulled the trigger. Should be here sometimes next week.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0e068ba0ca.png https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...83a6896b5d.png

My next question is, is it essential that I replaced the pulley as well? Mine seems to be in OK shape and was thinking of just reusing it.

As far as the oil leak goes, the main leak seems to have stopped after replacing the oil filter housing gasket, Vtec solenoid gasket and O-rings (Thank God! It wasn't from the whole oil pump assembly!). Now there's some oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the front. I've already ordered the gasket kit. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I could do both the plugs and the valve cover gaskets.

oh nice! Good to hear :). Could you link the PS Pump you ordered just for future reference? Lol.

To answer your question, it isn’t essential to use a new pulley, just easier for some people. If I’m not mistaken, various people have said that you need a high torque impact wrench to be able to take off the pulley. I took my pump to my mechanic and had him remove the pulley and put it onto my new pump as a result. If you have all the necessary tools, then I don’t think it’d be much of an issue for you, especially if the pulley seems to be okay!

Ahhh you’re lucky! The Acura dealership told me my oil pump was leaking, but that could also just be them trying to get some money off of me lol. I plan on doing all the oil leak work once I change my clutch. And yeah, I would say wait to do some work because working in the cold sucks. Just make sure you check your oil once in a while and add as needed :). That’s what I’ve been doing and no problems yet. Takes some pocket change from my wallet but it beats running your car on little to no oil lol.

mhtut83 01-06-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jkim4296 (Post 16360366)

oh nice! Good to hear :). Could you link the PS Pump you ordered just for future reference? Lol.

To answer your question, it isn’t essential to use a new pulley, just easier for some people. If I’m not mistaken, various people have said that you need a high torque impact wrench to be able to take off the pulley. I took my pump to my mechanic and had him remove the pulley and put it onto my new pump as a result. If you have all the necessary tools, then I don’t think it’d be much of an issue for you, especially if the pulley seems to be okay!

Ahhh you’re lucky! The Acura dealership told me my oil pump was leaking, but that could also just be them trying to get some money off of me lol. I plan on doing all the oil leak work once I change my clutch. And yeah, I would say wait to do some work because working in the cold sucks. Just make sure you check your oil once in a while and add as needed :). That’s what I’ve been doing and no problems yet. Takes some pocket change from my wallet but it beats running your car on little to no oil lol.

Sure. This is where I ordered mine. Its a few bucks more but reviews have been positive