3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me '06 maintenance - What am I missing?

Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 213 Posts
New to me '06 maintenance - What am I missing?

Hey all, I'll keep this short and sweet. I recently have come upon an '06 TL 5AT with ~165k miles

I'm getting "all my ducks in a row" for a major maintenance here. As of right now, I know that the timing belt was done at ~100k but I'm getting the full maintenance records this weekend, so I will update accordingly. Note that these are nearly all highway miles.

So far (with the help of various posts by NoTLoud) I'm planning on doing the following, Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Transmission:
- Tranny pressure switches (any reason these are only 3rd and 4th gear?)
- Tranny drain and refill (I've also heard to reuse your fluid on these transmissions?)
- Tranny filter

Rubber mounts
- LCA bushings - I plan on checking these out this weekend as well, I'm just assuming they are torn
- Motor mounts - Not sure if these are even necessary, I just want to be safe....based on research, I definitely plan on using OEM rubber ones to dampen vibration. It appears there are 3 of these?
- Transmission mounts - two total?

Brakes
- Fortunately there are (relatively) new calipers and rotors all the way around so these should be good for the time being.
- Should I worry about sway bars + control arms?

Suspension
- Just wondering what your opinions are for a smooth aftermarket set of shocks/struts, for reference in the near future.

Engine
- This is the main area I'm wondering where I should focus on. Power steering pump, tune, valves, plugs etc.?

I should mention that I actually have a 4 post lift, so all of the powertrain access should be easy (whereas my wheels/control arms/shocks/struts would be more difficult to work with).

Just wondering if anyone had further advice, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thank you!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
engine: if power steering pump is working like it should...no need to replace...if air getting into system, rebuild seals.
valves...same thing...if not making funny noises, no need to adjust.
plugs....same thing... if not fouled and look okay, no need to replace...although if 100k service was done, maybe plugs were changed too

I would however change ALL fluids...tranny, oil, coolant, brakes, power steering fluid

suspension end links...Lift that motherfucker on your 4 post lift and check out suspension components....IF NOT BROKEN, no need to replace

basically, your plan looks good...But just inspect those areas...if good....NO need to replace

Last edited by justnspace; 04-18-2017 at 08:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheSauceBoss (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
Right, all fluids! make it new!

But skip the motor mounts unless you know there is excessive engine movement and you hear a weird noise. But you cant always go strictly by noise because everything makes noise on these cars. hahha If you cannot figure out for sure if you need motor mounts, then skip it! I did the motor mounts from reading all the hype on A-zine.. And it was a waste of $$.. I saw zero effect.

Suspension: These are always Honda problems. I would only address items that are making noise. Or if your steering has a lot of play, then address that first.. This may sound crazy, but in my experience with my car, Ball Joints cause more play in steering than bad tie rods (inner and outer). Because I have already replaced the ball joints in my car and I noticed huge improvement in cornering and steering and it stopped the "moaning noise" it was making. But I have been getting still other little rattles on the front even after I replaced the ball joints, so I did the tie rods (inner and other) last week, and I saw very little improvement in steering and the rattle is still there. When I replaced the ball joints, I also replaced the upper control arm (which was still good and didnt need to be replaced) and I replaced the front bearings as a routing maintenance because I had the knuckle off the car. And I still have a rattle! I need make sure my spring is fully wrapped at the seat, even though I know the shock boot is installed, I think the shock boot has "little holes" on the base. So I might want to put those spring insulators on the bottom as an added precaution. Other than that I have no idea what else can rattle. I replaced the swaybar links like 2 years ago. I am not sure what else I can replace on the front. I got Koni's and typeS springs.. Nothing too extreme. But I did have a rattle on the rear.. I finally fixed that after 2 years... At 80k miles, I replaced swaybar end links because I read on A-zine they make noise.. Well, not from mine it didn't! It was wasted money again.. But did I feel some improvement? Yes, maybe a tad. That's why I say, the suspension components may not be completely "bad", but they will have added wear over the miles which hinders road feel and cornering. But again, unless you get a wild hair, then I wouldn't bother with anything that was not making noise.. Otherwise, it will just be for the case of "making it handle more like new" even though the parts are not completely worn out.

So basically, replace everything if you want to make it feel new, otherwise, just replace what is making noise. There are so many control arms on these cars (I call them "points of failure") that it creates a troubleshooting nightmare!!

KYB Shocks are good. I have a set. But dont use them on springs that are lower than 1.25" drop. And Fyi, I would stay away from Coilovers. These TL's will make noise with those stiff springs and short travel.

Tranny: Yes drain and fill with new fluid. Why reuse old fluid? There is also a filter you can replace. but I would not change the filter until after several "drain and fill" procedures because it takes like 7 to 10 drain and fills to bleed out all the old fluid. The system holds 9 quarts and the pan hold 3 quarts.

Power steering pump: same deal. 1 Liter system. and 1/3 liter reservoir. drain and fill 7-10 times, or follow the helm book and pump it out at once.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 04-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
TheSauceBoss (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Drifting

I said I have "already replaced the ball joints in my car"... because I have 86k miles..
Old 04-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Looks like you've got everything covered. As justnspace says, keep an eye on sway bar end links...
Old 04-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Drifting

voodoo.. I wouldn't give them any more attention than any other component. If they don't rattle then forget about them. Or since they are cheap and easy, just replace them!. Last thing I am going to do is keep an eye on something just in case 1 day they start making noise. I have a better plan.. if something rattles, then go find it.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Add changing out engine air and cabin filters to your maintenance list.

Search this Thread