New Brakes and Heat shield falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb New Brakes and Heat shield falling apart

I have now around 155,000 miles on my car and need new brakes. and my dealership wants $400 which includes brake service and pads. Do i really need Brake service ? or can i just have the put on new brake pads which would be cheaper.

Also my heat shield under the engine is falling apart and makes lots of noise when i push the accelerator. someone mentioned that i should just take it off since i don't really need the heat shield there. is this true ?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
take the car to an independent mechanic...
the independent mechanic can service your brake pads...
the independent mechanic can look at the heat shield and determine if he can put it back or if the simple solution of taking it off will work
The following users liked this post:
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
take the car to an independent mechanic...
the independent mechanic can service your brake pads...
the independent mechanic can look at the heat shield and determine if he can put it back or if the simple solution of taking it off will work
what would be the downside to simply taking the heat shield off ? Why is it there ? does it really serve any purpose ?
justnspace (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM

I believe the heatshield is covering the third cat below the car. hot exhaust gases pass through the catalytic converter, and by design it gets even hotter.
THe heatshield just shields the heat from other components in that exhaust tunnel.

if rust/corrosion has damage the way the heat shield attaches, it'll slightly fall off and hang.
I've removed my heatshield.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Instructor

I believe the heatshield is covering the third cat below the car. hot exhaust gases pass through the catalytic converter, and by design it gets even hotter.
THe heatshield just shields the heat from other components in that exhaust tunnel.

if rust/corrosion has damage the way the heat shield attaches, it'll slightly fall off and hang.
I've removed my heatshield.
So if i remove it, it won't damage the other components in the exhaust tunnel ? it won't melt it or anything like that, right ? and someone said if i remove the heat sheild, don't park on top of grass, if i do i will set the grass on fire and entire car can go up in flames . is that true ? and what is 3rd cat ?? is that 3 cats living under the car ? are they stray cats ?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM

our car has three catalytic converters. two primary found in the engine bay, and the third cat underneath the car.
the heat shield is shaped to cover the catalytic converter. from top and bottom. when taking it apart, you remove the bolts and split the metal cover.

if the heat shield is hanging off now, it's not doing it's job. However, i dont think there is a fire concern there....unless you deliberatly park over dry "tinder", which one shouldnt be doing anyway

Last edited by justnspace; 04-25-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Instructor

our car has three catalytic converters. two primary found in the engine bay, and the third cat underneath the car.
the heat shield is shaped to cover the catalytic converter. from top and bottom. when taking it apart, you remove the bolts and split the metal cover.

if the heat shield is hanging off now, it's not doing it's job. However, i dont think there is a fire concern there....unless you deliberatly park over dry "tinder", which one shouldnt be doing anyway
if the heat is allowed to rise into the cabin, won't parts in the cabin melt or wires catch on fire ? or cabin temperature could get really hot and damage the leather seats or plastic ?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Buy a new heatshield and replace it.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Buy a new heatshield and replace it.
Aren't they expensive ? and there is also labor cost to put them on.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Nah, when you buy them, they come pre-installed to your car.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
if the heat is allowed to rise into the cabin, won't parts in the cabin melt or wires catch on fire ? or cabin temperature could get really hot and damage the leather seats or plastic ?
if my memory serves me correct, the exhaust tunnel doesnt have any major components near it. heat may rise to the cabin, but you're very unlikely to feel it. the engine has temps that reach over 500 degrees and you cant feel that in the cabin.
I havent been underneath the car in several years
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
All my heat shields (pre-cats, massive one over jpipe, on top of both mufflers) have rusted off and it's been a few years now without them.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
All my heat shields (pre-cats, massive one over jpipe, on top of both mufflers) have rusted off and it's been a few years now without them.
any issues with cabin over-heating and or wires burning or plastic damages in the cabin ?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Just go buy a couple of large hose clamps and tighten them down on either end of the shield. Cheap and easy and allows you to retain the function of the shield while eliminating rattling noise.
Nostradamus (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Just go buy a couple of large hose clamps and tighten them down on either end of the shield. Cheap and easy and allows you to retain the function of the shield while eliminating rattling noise.
Can acura dealership do this for you ? if i buy the hose clamps and tell them to do it for me ? I have never been under the car in my entire life, and i will probably get lost
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
If brakes and the heat shield are your only issues, I recommend going to an independent shop to save some money like justnspace said.

My guess is that an Acura dealership would not use hose clamps to re-attach the heat shield. They would probably recommend replacing it completely to cover their own liability (just my guess). You can always give them a call and ask though. It's worth a shot.

Replacing brake pads on TLs is a very easy job for any mechanic. A local guy would be able to do that for you no problem and would likely be cheaper.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Nah, when you buy them, they come pre-installed to your car.
Nostradamus (07-03-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Knowing that you are not mechanically inclined/skilled to work on your automobile, asking questions here is a good start, but it sounds like you need to find yourself one or two other local shops you can get repair/maintenance estimates from.

Brakes - There are plenty of places that can do this work for you at various levels of cost. Call a few places, get quotes, and compare. Some places will just want to swap pads, some will want to replace rotors, some will want to bleed the brake fluid, and some will do a combo of all of this.

Cat Shield - It is there for a reason. Is it absolutely required? Probably not...but keep in mind the vehicle has to be engineered for such a broad range of use cases and operating temps...as well as to help shield from liability (see what I did there)...that many components are not absolutely required and may be able to be removed with no negative side effect. Will I voluntarily remove my heat shields? Nope...but I also would not be willing to shell out several hundred dollars to replace one that falls off either. Look at those that remove the hood mat, bumper beams, and the various other weight saving items...I think they are crazy...but it is their car and they do what they want with it. Personal choices on how each of us chooses to maintain our vehicles.

Last edited by Jackass; 04-25-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spelling is hard
Nostradamus (07-03-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
It was my Acura dealership that siggested I use hose clamps and I am sure mine would do it for me but I have ramps that i use for fluid changes and can fit underneath there to put them on.... In your case, go anywhere with them amd ask them to put them on... Shouldn't cost much.
Nostradamus (07-03-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
All but my front heat shields are off. The fronts are welded back on together after a horrific screeching sound.
Nostradamus (07-03-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 759 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPanda
All but my front heat shields are off. The fronts are welded back on together after a horrific screeching sound.
This needs clarity...
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevemk07
Will this be put on fairly easily ?? i can go buy some large hose clamps at the Home Depot but i have to take it to the dealership. since i don't know how or where to put them on. I am not sure if dealership will do it , but then they might do it for me. Which Large Hose clamps should i buy, exactly ?? and will the mechanic be easily put them on ? Thank you so much
Old 07-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Pro

You put them around the heat shields that are loose. Unscrew the clamp till it is completely open. Meaning not a closed circle anymore. Put it around the shield, put the loose end into the other end where the screw is and tighten it.
This is probably the easiest thing a person can on a car besides hanging an air freshener on the rear view mirror.
It will take more work to jack the car up and put it on stands.
Make sure the exhaust isn’t hot though.
Buy various size ones and return the ones you don’t use. Or keep them.
Nostradamus (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joecop67
You put them around the heat shields that are loose. Unscrew the clamp till it is completely open. Meaning not a closed circle anymore. Put it around the shield, put the loose end into the other end where the screw is and tighten it.
This is probably the easiest thing a person can on a car besides hanging an air freshener on the rear view mirror.
It will take more work to jack the car up and put it on stands.
Make sure the exhaust isn’t hot though.
Buy various size ones and return the ones you don’t use. Or keep them.
Can i get these hose clamps at home depot ?? do they come in different sizes ? if so what size should i get ?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:13 AM
Pro

You can get them at any hardware store. They come in many, many different size.
Nostradamus (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I doubt at 52 years old you never went down this road with brakes needing replacement. Either way, I'm sure your TL doesn't have the original pads and rotors (155K). The best thing you can do to cut the costs, is buy the pads and rotors. I would invested in quality stuff, since you want the best braking performance. There are plenty of vendors here and on-line where you can purchase pads and rotors. Have a independent automotive repair shop do the install. As for the catalytic converter sheild, it eventually rusts where the shield is bolted together. You can go on amazon and order 10 inch hose clamps and just clamp the shield on each end. I will show you a picture of what I mean.

As for the brakes, vendors like
https://www.excelerateperformance.com/
https://www.heeltoeauto.com/
https://www.endlessrpm.com/

or
https://www.rockauto.com/?a=G

And for the hose clamp, Amazon link
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-05-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Nostradamus (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I doubt at 52 years old you never went down this road with brakes needing replacement. Either way, I'm sure your TL doesn't have the original pads and rotors (155K). The best thing you can do to cut the costs, is buy the pads and rotors. I would invested in quality stuff, since you want the best braking performance. There are plenty of vendors here and on-line where you can purchase pads and rotors. Have a independent automotive repair shop do the install. As for the catalytic converter sheild, it eventually rusts where the shield is bolted together. You can go on amazon and order 10 inch hose clamps and just clamp the shield on each end. I will show you a picture of what I mean.

or

https://www.amazon.com/inch-Duct-Cla...ch+hose+clamps

Which part is the heat shield? is that the front of the car ? Anyway , i also have this problem with Serpentine belt making big time noise when i first start the car in the morning for about 10 minutes then it stops or lessens. I would like to take it back to the dealership where i replaced it at about 20 ,000 miles ago. but problem is they can't locate the noise if it isn't doing it at the time i go there. and dealership is about 30 minutes away from me. Plus, why does it make this horrible noise ?? is it loose ? is the Tensioner broken ? and why wasn't it fixed when dealership put in the new belt and tensioner while back ?? Why is this noise in the belt come back ?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Red face

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN

or

https://www.amazon.com/inch-Duct-Cla...ch+hose+clamps

and just one other question. Dealership told me, in addition to replacing the break Pads and rotors, it has to be serviced. and that is labor and that is what adds cost. What does Servicing the breaks and rotors mean ?? they are telling me that is important because if i don't do it, breaks might make Noise
Joecop67 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

and just one other question. Dealership told me, in addition to replacing the break Pads and rotors, it has to be serviced. and that is labor and that is what adds cost. What does Servicing the breaks and rotors mean ?? they are telling me that is important because if i don't do it, breaks might make Noise
LMGTFY
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
Joecop67 (07-05-2018), Nostradamus (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Which part is the heat shield? is that the front of the car ? Anyway , i also have this problem with Serpentine belt making big time noise when i first start the car in the morning for about 10 minutes then it stops or lessens. I would like to take it back to the dealership where i replaced it at about 20 ,000 miles ago. but problem is they can't locate the noise if it isn't doing it at the time i go there. and dealership is about 30 minutes away from me. Plus, why does it make this horrible noise ?? is it loose ? is the Tensioner broken ? and why wasn't it fixed when dealership put in the new belt and tensioner while back ?? Why is this noise in the belt come back ?
LMGTFY
Nostradamus (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Instructor

do i really need to service the breaks ? is it just something dealership does to add cost ? can i just replace the pads and rotors?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
this thread is confusing me....38 questions and climbing

Last edited by quantum7; 07-06-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Nostradamus (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Instructor

I did Googling some and found out it is most likely Serpentine belt and Tensioner is most likely loose. This Awful noise is happening in the morning when i first start the car and last for 10-15 mintues then goes away. i have to take it back to the dealership since i just had Tensioner and belt replaced 20,000 miles ago.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I need new brakes. Powerstop at Rockauto or CarQuest Wearever Platinum at Advance?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by capper
I need new brakes. Powerstop at Rockauto or CarQuest Wearever Platinum at Advance?
Great question. Wondering that myself. Info on that is scarce.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
do i really need to service the breaks ? is it just something dealership does to add cost ? can i just replace the pads and rotors?
Ask them what it means. We wouldnt know how they interpret "servicing the brakes". It could mean lubing the guide pins, could mean bleeding the lines, could mean rebuilding the calipers, could mean anything, ask them. To me servicing the brakes MEANS replacing pads and possibly the rotors.
Nostradamus (07-16-2018)