New aftermarket headlights? [pics]

Old 01-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MyGuti
^^That's interesting. I tried plugging the DRL bulbs in to the stock sockets when I was installing the new headlights and I couldn't get them to work either......
the bulbs look fine, I wonder if I missed something (I did check both sides to ensure polarity wasn't the cause).
even though, I really like the headlight look without the DRLS on. I think it compliments the headlights especially when paired with the NBP.
I would only consider putting LED bulbs in for DRLs in order to match the rest of the headlight.
Yeah that's where I'm stuck, I think I prefer the look of the light without the DRLs illuminated. The only thing bothering me was the warning light which is now gone thankfully. What would be best in my mind would be for the LED accents in the headlight to be the DRLs. Just have to figure out how to get them to always be on
Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 AM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by hamburglar490
What would be best in my mind would be for the LED accents in the headlight to be the DRLs. Just have to figure out how to get them to always be on
just turn on your parking lights

Old 01-05-2019, 05:08 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
If you want to get a ticket.

Just find the wire that controls only the LEDs then hook up a DRL module or ignition wire.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Racer

Why would you get a ticket for having parking lights on during the day? That's a new one on me.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Why would you get a ticket for having parking lights on during the day? That's a new one on me.

Parking lights are located at the front and back of your vehicles; they are white or amber in the front and red on the back. All of them must be visible for 500 ft. It is never legal to drive with your parking lights on; they are only to be used during parking.

Source :https://driversed.com/driving-inform...le/lights.aspx
Old 01-05-2019, 06:14 AM
Racer

that article from a driver's ed site makes no reference to daytime usage.

this article talks about it specifically for *daytime* usage which I was specifically referring to...NOT night time driving for which it is illegal and you'd be ticketed.

In some states, this regulation only applies during night driving, and even encourage using parking lights as daytime lights.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-illegal-...ts-illuminated
Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Null and proud of it

that article from a driver's ed site makes no reference to daytime usage.

this article talks about it specifically for *daytime* usage which I was specifically referring to...NOT night time driving for which it is illegal and you'd be ticketed.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-illegal-...ts-illuminated

I know in LA you'll get pulled over.

But that was back in the 70's from what I hear. These days, cars have so many lights on them I guess it wouldn't matter.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Guys, drl is our cars are running at 6V each, as they run the bulbs in series to drop the voltage. Stock setup uses two 55w bulbs at minimal capacity to not blind everyone else. Simply plugging other bulbs won't work, as leds will most likely require around 12v to operate.

For more info visit
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-generation-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-2007-08-tl-drl-led-install-960677/

And again, as I wrote in my thread. That's cheap and simple solution, but also dirty. Most clean is getting aftermarket harness designed for that purpose. There are other threads where people use those aftermarket things.

To get rid of the light on the dash you need only two small high resistance resistors (look my thread again) As car looks only on the voltage in between the bulbs, not for current (like turn signals) . I've been running this setup with two 1/3 watt or whatever resistors since I wrote that thread with 0 problems.

Using those powerful resistors only wastes electricity and generates heat.
The following users liked this post:
sbstnce (03-03-2022)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Getting a ticket for the parking lights....unlikely it will ever happen, but this is not the first time I have come across a reference that it isn't legal. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Unlikely unless the officer is just looking for something to get you on. Just like they can get those that put green or blue lights in the marker lights.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Jackass
Getting a ticket for the parking lights....unlikely it will ever happen, but this is not the first time I have come across a reference that it isn't legal. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Unlikely unless the officer is just looking for something to get you on. Just like they can get those that put green or blue lights in the marker lights.

That'll get you a ticket and an attitude.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Instructor

just turn on your parking lights
Haha that's what I've been doing. I think the odds of being pulled over for that is near zero, so it'll do for now lol
Old 01-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Null and proud of it

Haha that's what I've been doing. I think the odds of being pulled over for that is near zero, so it'll do for now lol

Yeah, don't worry about it. So many newer cars have LEDs coming out of every panel, they'll never notice! And if so, the white "DRL" would look like headlights, in a way.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing that does worry me is it's reliability in the long-run. One of my buddies bought a set of aftermarket headlights which work really well. It's been almost two years now and I saw the headlight casing has suffered from what appears to be stress cracks. I'm not sure what the cause of these stress cracks are besides the quality of the casing which could be affected by the heat from the HID itself.

When his headlights are on, it makes no difference, but the aesthetics during daytime are ugly as hell lol. How have your headlights been holding up so far?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jkim4296
One thing that does worry me is it's reliability in the long-run. One of my buddies bought a set of aftermarket headlights which work really well. It's been almost two years now and I saw the headlight casing has suffered from what appears to be stress cracks. I'm not sure what the cause of these stress cracks are besides the quality of the casing which could be affected by the heat from the HID itself.

When his headlights are on, it makes no difference, but the aesthetics during daytime are ugly as hell lol. How have your headlights been holding up so far?
I think that is a valid concern. I saw some members mentioning selling their OEM headlights in the thread and I would definitely advise against that. There's no telling if one of those led rings will fail at some point or maybe there is some kind of structural issue that pops up later on. With these being a somewhat new item there are a lot of unknowns with these lights. Just my two cents.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sweeT n Lo
I think that is a valid concern. I saw some members mentioning selling their OEM headlights in the thread and I would definitely advise against that. There's no telling if one of those led rings will fail at some point or maybe there is some kind of structural issue that pops up later on. With these being a somewhat new item there are a lot of unknowns with these lights. Just my two cents.
Yeah I'm planning to hold onto my stock lights for about 6 months just to be safe. I don't think I'll have any problems especially since I put the 3M headlight film on it too. We'll see though
Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Please let us know how it holds up later down the road lol. I'm hoping for the best!
Old 01-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Please let us know how it holds up later down the road lol. I'm hoping for the best!
Stress cracks are likely from pressure from exterior items such as rocks and road debris. I highly doubt the OEM hid xenon bulbs have enough heat to introduce stress cracks.

I plan on holding onto my OEM set for a bit too. Especially since they don't really drop in value. But I must say, the quality of these headlights seems to be top notch. The materials used don't seem cheap either. It felt sturdy and we'll put together.

I'm interested in seeing what other aftermarket headlights your buddy has? Do you have pics?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Stress cracks are likely from pressure from exterior items such as rocks and road debris. I highly doubt the OEM hid xenon bulbs have enough heat to introduce stress cracks.

I plan on holding onto my OEM set for a bit too. Especially since they don't really drop in value. But I must say, the quality of these headlights seems to be top notch. The materials used don't seem cheap either. It felt sturdy and we'll put together.

I'm interested in seeing what other aftermarket headlights your buddy has? Do you have pics?
Yeah that sounds more logical from my guess lol. I just figured that the if quality of the casing is subpar to that of OEM, then maybe the temperature could cause stress cracks lol. But if you say the quality seems to be pretty good then I'll take your word for it.

That aside, I don't have pics of the aftermarket headlights unfortunately. But those headlights weren't for the TL (which I should have mentioned in my first post, my bad guys). I made that comment because the price points between the two headlights were almost the same, which worried me a little in terms of its quality. But again, I haven't physically touched or observed the headlights so my guess is more of a personal concern I suppose lol.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Racer

The quality of these lights seems pretty damn good. I too am keeping my stockers in case they're ever needed, but in all honesty I would probably just buy another set of them if something happens.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Advanced

The quality of these lights seems pretty damn good. I too am keeping my stockers in case they're ever needed, but in all honesty I would probably just buy another set of them if something happens.
That's good to hear, thankfully. I was debating on whether or not I should mod the stock headlights (found more than normal condensation) or if I should buy these. I'm going to wait a little longer to see how the long-term use of these headlights are before biting the bullet lol, so please, keep the updates coming!

Also, digging your profile picture lol. Glad to know what these look like
Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Racer

That's good to hear, thankfully. I was debating on whether or not I should mod the stock headlights (found more than normal condensation) or if I should buy these. I'm going to wait a little longer to see how the long-term use of these headlights are before biting the bullet lol, so please, keep the updates coming!

Also, digging your profile picture lol. Glad to know what these look like
Bigger pic

Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Bigger pic

wow those do look good! But is the inner amber light supposed to be the fog lights? The projectors look pretty clean too
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Null and proud of it

Nice!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Racer

wow those do look good! But is the inner amber light supposed to be the fog lights? The projectors look pretty clean too
The inner bulbs are the DRLs on the 07/08s

I rewired them (see earlier posts in this thread) to be on all the time. They get a constant 12v and the look fantastic, moreso in person.

The fogs on the 07/08 are lower on the bumper in this pic

Old 01-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Racer

Here's a video I made the other night with all the lights in action.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Advanced

https://youtu.be/XNFkLvxVF1c

Wow does look sick! I should order a pair soon.. thanks for clearing it up
Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Cool switchbacks you LED junkie!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a set of depos that were newer than a set of OEM (obviously) but they had way more stress cracks and they were much more noticeable than the ones I could see on the OEM ones. I think with keeping OEM lights it’s exoecwtes to see some signs of age, but I think I’d be pretty disappointed to buy these and have stress cracks within a year or two.

Idk where the heat comes from, bulbs or outside issues like you said. I live in Arizona so it gets very hot, so I’m not sure if I see more stress cracks here than others do.

Not arguing lol I just think it’s a valid concern depending on what quality material they used on the lens.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ossman14

I had a set of depos that were newer than a set of OEM (obviously) but they had way more stress cracks and they were much more noticeable than the ones I could see on the OEM ones. I think with keeping OEM lights it’s exoecwtes to see some signs of age, but I think I’d be pretty disappointed to buy these and have stress cracks within a year or two.

Idk where the heat comes from, bulbs or outside issues like you said. I live in Arizona so it gets very hot, so I’m not sure if I see more stress cracks here than others do.

Not arguing lol I just think it’s a valid concern depending on what quality material they used on the lens.
I frequently travel to upstate NY for school so the winters get pretty cold up there (relative to NYC area). Also, the temperatures can change suddenly where one day it could be 50 degrees and the following day could be 10 degrees. My guess would be the drastic change in temperature could add stress to the casing? I think it'd be a bigger concern for those who went with aftermarket ballasts/ignitors and such. I'd also be concerned about really high heat (like you have to deal with)
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Instructor

https://youtu.be/XNFkLvxVF1c

Those are some nice taillights, are those custom or did you buy those somewhere?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Racer

Those are some nice taillights, are those custom or did you buy those somewhere?
They're clear Depos, they just pop on onto your stock tail lights in place of your factory lenses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-Black-...ry!87123!US!-1

You just need a couple gaskets as shown in the ad and you can swap these lenses on in a few hours; you have to remove the bumper of course.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

is that a corvette I see
Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Null and proud of it

Perfect example of how a simple tint and light upgrade is sometimes all a car needs to look perfect!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Racer

is that a corvette I see
Yeah, my lighting fetish isn't limited to the Acura 😂

Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Nifty. I like the Acura better though, sorry.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Racer

Bias, on an Acura forum? Whoa.

All good my friend, the Acura is the wife's car I just put all my toys on it.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Null and proud of it

Bias, on an Acura forum? Whoa.

All good my friend, the Acura is the wife's car I just put all my toys on it.

Nothing personal, I just don't like anything that isn't a Honda. The Vettes do look cool though. Especially the 2005 in white!
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Null and proud of it

You must have a happy wife.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I hope it's a 6 speed
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM
Null and proud of it

Yeah, we wanna know if she has a stick.