3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '07 TL owner

Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

Finally picked up the car I've been wanting yesterday! Very impressed with the car so far. '07, 76k miles. Handles nicely, drives nicely. However, I did find a few spots where rust was coming on (small bubbles) Had to pick the car up in the rain and it was hard to inspect everything. Everything else on the car is nearly new though. Anyone else have rust problems? Could a body guy fix this?

I come from GM cars, so this is my first non-GM car. I have a '99 Pontiac Grand Prix that I has been my daily and a '00 Camaro that is quite modified.

I don't know much else about these cars other than word of mouth. So if I need to know anything please let me know.

I also had a question about the mud flaps and rear spoiler. I do not have a spoiler, but do have black mudlaps, would like to get them in silver though.

Are they type S mudflaps the same as the base model?
Amazon.com: OEM Acura TL Type S Mud Flaps Splash Guard 08P00-SEP-230A Alabaster Silver: Automotive

Has anyone bought this spoiler from amazon?
Amazon.com: Deltalip Painted 2004-2008 Acura Tl Trunk Lip Spoiler Satin Silver Metallic Nh-623M: Automotive

Perhaps this is what I need:

08P00-SEP-230B - Genuine Acura Splash Guard *NH700M* (ALABASTER SILVER METALLIC)

Part number has a B in it, instead of A.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-15-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 05-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL28
I also had a question about the mud flaps and rear spoiler. I do not have a spoiler, but do have black mudlaps, would like to get them in silver though.

Are they type S mudflaps the same as the base model?
Amazon.com: OEM Acura TL Type S Mud Flaps Splash Guard 08P00-SEP-230A Alabaster Silver: Automotive

Has anyone bought this spoiler from amazon?
Amazon.com: Deltalip Painted 2004-2008 Acura Tl Trunk Lip Spoiler Satin Silver Metallic Nh-623M: Automotive
You definitely don't want that spoiler as that is a Satin Silver Metallic(SSM) and that color was only available in 04-05 if memory serves. If you have silver it would be Alabaster silver metallic(ASM).

Mud-flaps look like they should work, but I have no experience with them personally.

As to your rust issues.
First, where are you located? Second, where are these bubbles on the car.
My 04 from FL for 5 yrs and now SC for 7 yrs only has rust anywhere underneath. No exterior rust either particularly bubbles.

I grew up in WI wrenching on my cars. So, moving to the south and having southern cars it's amazing how much easier wrenching is now.
The following users liked this post:
ATL28 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crbnfbr
You definitely don't want that spoiler as that is a Satin Silver Metallic(SSM) and that color was only available in 04-05 if memory serves. If you have silver it would be Alabaster silver metallic(ASM).

Mud-flaps look like they should work, but I have no experience with them personally.

As to your rust issues.
First, where are you located? Second, where are these bubbles on the car.
My 04 from FL for 5 yrs and now SC for 7 yrs only has rust anywhere underneath. No exterior rust either particularly bubbles.

I grew up in WI wrenching on my cars. So, moving to the south and having southern cars it's amazing how much easier wrenching is now.
Thanks for pointing that out. I can go with this one then? The spoiler: Painted Trunk Lip Spoiler for Acura TL 04 08 Sedan Alabaster Silver Met NH700M | eBay

The car is from Chicago. I live in Nebraska.

The rust is bubbling in two spots:
Driver side, front, just above the mud flap.
Passenger side, rear, in front of the the tire, opposite side of the mud flap.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for pointing that out. I can go with this one then? The spoiler: Painted Trunk Lip Spoiler for Acura TL 04 08 Sedan Alabaster Silver Met NH700M | eBay

The car is from Chicago. I live in Nebraska.

The rust is bubbling in two spots:
Driver side, front, just above the mud flap.
Passenger side, rear, in front of the the tire, opposite side of the mud flap.
Yep, that spoiler should work just fine.

Chicago, that and the rust locations is the answer. Snow and lots of salts build up in there. You see that all the time in WI. That's where it starts then all of a sudden it's the whole fender's that look like Swiss cheese. My old 93 Accord got so bad. The driver's side rear in front of the tire rusted completely through that you could stick stuff through the hole, even your finger if you were current on your tetanus shot.
ATL28 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

Yep, that spoiler should work just fine.

Chicago, that and the rust locations is the answer. Snow and lots of salts build up in there. You see that all the time in WI. That's where it starts then all of a sudden it's the whole fender's that look like Swiss cheese. My old 93 Accord got so bad. The driver's side rear in front of the tire rusted completely through that you could stick stuff through the hole, even your finger if you were current on your tetanus shot.
Yeah, I do understand that this sort of thing happens around here, but is there anything I can do besides replace the whole panel? That'd be too much money

Would a body shop be able to fix it before it spreads sort of thing? I'm willing to invest in this car, it's in mint condition for it's age other than the small amount of rust.

I have no experience with body work, so I don't know if a shop can fix this sort of thing.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I do understand that this sort of thing happens around here, but is there anything I can do besides replace the whole panel? That'd be too much money

Would a body shop be able to fix it before it spreads sort of thing? I'm willing to invest in this car, it's in mint condition for it's age other than the small amount of rust.

I have no experience with body work, so I don't know if a shop can fix this sort of thing.
Absolutely, a body shop could fix it. Depending on what you want to or are willing to pay. I'm no expert, but I'd guess it'd be $500 absolute minimum.
ATL28 (12-21-2020)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Absolutely, a body shop could fix it. Depending on what you want to or are willing to pay. I'm no expert, but I'd guess it'd be $500 absolute minimum.
Yeah, I'm willing to pay $500 or so to make this baby last Found a shop in town with great reviews, says they repair rust too.

I ordered the spoiler. Going to stop by the Acura dealer to see about the alabaster mud flaps today.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Welcome ATL...enjoy your new ride.
ATL28 (12-21-2020)