3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need A-ziner's advice on modding vs. new project car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:07 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need A-ziner's advice on modding vs. new project car!

Hi Aziners!

So I know what kinds of answers I'm likely going to get from you guys as enthusiasts, but I wanted some candid, frank answers on a good route to go to satisfy my need for my modding disease.

As a background, I've owned a few heavily, heavily modified cars. I've had two Subarus, one WRX mildly modded to "stage 4" and an STi with a fully-built 2.8L race engine, GT35 turbo, standalone, etc etc. I know the fun but also possible frustrations with modifying a daily driver (and modding cars in general).

It's been a while since I've had a project car, but I'm getting the itch bad to have a fun weekend car to help blow off steam. Here is what I've been throwing around:

1) Lightly modifying my TL-S. I've got a Progress RSB sitting in my garage, have done some small cosmetic mods like the headlights but I've been considering the RV6 PCD and Jpipe combo. This would make my daily a little more fun to drive, but I'm not crazy about the idea of the ricer sound it will make and being my professional daily driver it's important to maintain a certain image for my clients. I also don't like the idea of a stinkier exhaust, but it can't be as bad as my catless STi. I like this approach though because I spend SO much time in the car (I just hit 93,000 miles today) and it's the cheapest solution to getting my fix.

2) Buying a cheap bike / project car. I'm opposed to the bike mainly because I know I would kill myself on one, but it's the cheapest way to get a stupid adrenaline rush. A cheap project car (like an older EVO or something boosted) would be fun, but I've been down that road before and it's definitely one of diminishing returns. Once you mod one part, you have to start modding other stuff that breaks

3) What I'm leaning toward the most is buying a C6 Z06 or C6 convertible. This is obviously the most expensive route, and I was about to throw this out the door because Chevy makes some colossal pieces of shit, but I saw a guy driving with his T-tops off in a black C6 the other day and it made me want one again. The LS motors are pretty much God's engine in terms of power and modability, and I have had a hard on for the Z06 since it first came out. As I said this is the most expensive route and I'll probably have to wait a few years to get this car paid off first, but I think it's worth it in the long run to have arguably the best platform for modding out there.

Thoughts? Like I said I'm sure you guys are biased but I've thought about this a lot and if I need to put off my modding bug for a few more years (and let the Z06 prices drop even further) I'd be willing to do it.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good post. I was/am in the same boat as you but do not have the cash it would take. I have had several sport bikes that I moded and a few cars that I did quite a bit of work to too. About 9 years ago I had a 97 Miata that I did everything to which finally included a supercharger. I have to say I have toyed around with the idea of another project car like a vette or kit cobra. The problem is funds. I make good money but can't see spending more that 5k on a project car that would just cost me more in the long run. I am really thinking of getting a late 90's miata again. They have great aftermarket support and the motor responds well to just about anything. Plus they are reasonable cheap and a blast to drive. I will still mod my TL but still want a project car. Good luck man. Post up if you get something....
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a new TL owner and I have a Mitsu VR4 also thats modded and it more powerful even in its light mods then any power you are likely to get spending big bucks on the TL. I say enjoy the car for what it is and go buy a real performance car with your money instead of sinking it into a car thats FWD and is more of a sporty luxury ride then anything else. Too many mods and you end up making a great reliable car a headache and tough to resell. Please take it from my experience modding the VR4. Its got over 425awhp on pump gas, its good for mid 11s easy but its never going to be a C6 Z06 even after I dump a ton of cash in it which I already did. There are guys putting down over 800awhp on the platform but when you add it up, you could start with something newer and faster out of the box and still come out ahead. I probably put $30k in parts over the last decade into it and I am never happy. I will keep this Type S as my DD and either go nuts on the VR4 or sell it and get something like a GTR or a 2008+ Z06 in a couple years when they are in the 50k range. For example, one could get a 2007 BMW 335i for same price as a Type S and with less then $3k in mods have well over 400rwhp in a better handiling car. I just did not go that route because I dont think German cars are reliable enough or cheap enough to maintain.

Sam

Last edited by wraithvr442; 08-15-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by JackSampson
Good post. I was/am in the same boat as you but do not have the cash it would take. I have had several sport bikes that I moded and a few cars that I did quite a bit of work to too. About 9 years ago I had a 97 Miata that I did everything to which finally included a supercharger. I have to say I have toyed around with the idea of another project car like a vette or kit cobra. The problem is funds. I make good money but can't see spending more that 5k on a project car that would just cost me more in the long run. I am really thinking of getting a late 90's miata again. They have great aftermarket support and the motor responds well to just about anything. Plus they are reasonable cheap and a blast to drive. I will still mod my TL but still want a project car. Good luck man. Post up if you get something....
Nice, thanks for the input! It sounds like we're in similar situations. I'm in the same boat where I'm making good money right now but I want to put more money aside for investments and retirement instead of dumping them into an expensive project car that's going to cost a lot in the long run. $5k is a good amount for a cheap project car too (or bike). I'd be willing to spend up to $15k right now because I could put a chunk down and finance the rest, which would allow me to save the money I want to save.

I have a lot of friends who own / have owned project Miatas. They are awesome cars and fun to drive, but as vain as this sounds I just don't think I'd look cool in one. Plus, I promised myself I wouldn't go with a small displacement motor again unless it was moderately-heavily boosted. I've got the itch for V8 low-end torque and power potential without dumping $12k into the engine like with my STi.

I will definitely keep this thread updated when I decide what to do and if I end up picking up a project car Thanks again for the advice!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by wraithvr442
I am a new TL owner and I have a Mitsu VR4 also thats modded and it more powerful even in its light mods then any power you are likely to get spending big bucks on the TL. I say enjoy the car for what it is and go buy a real performance car with your money instead of sinking it into a car thats FWD and is more of a sporty luxury ride then anything else. Too many mods and you end up making a great reliable car a headache and tough to resell. Please take it from my experience modding the VR4. Its got over 425awhp on pump gas, its good for mid 11s easy but its never going to be a C6 Z06 even after I dump a ton of cash in it which I already did. There are guys putting down over 800awhp on the platform but when you add it up, you could start with something newer and faster out of the box and still come out ahead. I probably put $30k in parts over the last decade into it and I am never happy. I will keep this Type S as my DD and either go nuts on the VR4 or sell it and get something like a GTR or a 2008+ Z06 in a couple years when they are in the 50k range

Sam
That's kind of what I'm thinking too. By the time my TL-S is paid off, the Z06s on the used market will probably be in the 38-40k range. I swear even recently I've seen some with decent miles on them for around 35k.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
If you have money to burn try investing in a house/condo, market is ridiculous right now and once it gets better the property will be worth double/triple and then buy the car. I love cars but they lose their values very fast and I would choose modding the TL or bike because bike will not cost so much and modding the TL at least you can make some of the money back once you decide to sell everything.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by AckTL05
If you have money to burn try investing in a house/condo, market is ridiculous right now and once it gets better the property will be worth double/triple and then buy the car. I love cars but they lose their values very fast and I would choose modding the TL or bike because bike will not cost so much and modding the TL at least you can make some of the money back once you decide to sell everything.
No doubt, as much as I'd love to pick up another mortgage payment, one is more than enough for me haha. Also partial landowner of 100 acres up in northern VA near the Dulles Toll Road. Not that I'm wealthy or anything, the land has been in our family since the 50's. I'm thinking more like CDs, adding to the 401k, potential aggressive annuities, etc.

Putting a little cash into the TL-S will probably tide me over until I feel comfortable picking up a Vette...I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether it's worth it to drop $450 on a Jpipe or $715+ on a PCD/Jpipe combo.

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 08-15-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
For me the uniqueness of a heavily modified TL is what I like. Cops ignore you and the combo of luxury and power in a reliable package is perfect. I'm close to 20k in my car and my only issue is I don't what to leave it anywhere so I end up walking. To me molding has never been an investment but the exact opposite. Expenisive fun and something to look forward to.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
How about going with something like RV-6's true dual exhaust+ j-pipe+Pre-cat deletes? That should yield a good amount of power and make you a bit happier with performance. If needed, you can always add a resonator and make it quieter without hurting performance too much.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
get a sport bike ... its one of the most fun things you can do. i recently sold my gsxr, because im am starting medical school, but as soon as im done im gonna buy another one! its an experience i believe everyone should have in their lifetime

go for the BIKE!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
+1 on the bike... They are dangerous but who cares? lol I miss my R6 all the time but I'm looking into investing in a super motard right now for a toy. I agree on the VR4 statement, my girlfriend's dad has a 96 VR4 with about 15k dumped into the motor/turbos/yaddi yaddi but even before all of that was done and it was just a few small bolt ons here and there, the difference that each mod made blew my mind. Like you said the upkeep on a heavily modded vehicle sucks, there's always down time and something I would never do to a DD.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

The only thing that worries me really about the bike is not how I'm going to ride on it but how bad other drivers are around here in NC. It's really a joke, especially when weather conditions get bad. A motorcyclist was killed the other day right up the street from my girlfriend's office because some retard woman in an SUV pulled out in front of him.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I glanced through your thread; forgive me if I misunderstand you. Now, I'm only 22, and so I understand if you take my thoughts and opinions with a pinch of salt. Clean and simple: you only live once. Get the Z06, satisfy your weekend needs (lol), and be done with it. You know you'll regret NOT doing it. Of course, when your financial needs, etc.. are stable. Modding expensive cars in and of themselves are EXPENSIVE though! ENJOY man!

Side note: I had a friend crash his R1 and fly under a car. Long story short, he survived, but he no longer has any abdominal muscles (all 3 layers are GONE). He has a beer belly, so to speak, for the rest of his life. His BODY caught under a car and it ripped him open. He laid their with his abdominal-pelvic contents next to him. How'd he survive? God gave me another chance. Stay away from the bike.

Last edited by erick3; 08-16-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
No doubt, as much as I'd love to pick up another mortgage payment, one is more than enough for me haha. Also partial landowner of 100 acres up in northern VA near the Dulles Toll Road. Not that I'm wealthy or anything, the land has been in our family since the 50's. I'm thinking more like CDs, adding to the 401k, potential aggressive annuities, etc.

Putting a little cash into the TL-S will probably tide me over until I feel comfortable picking up a Vette...I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether it's worth it to drop $450 on a Jpipe or $715+ on a PCD/Jpipe combo.
I say just get the J-pipe... that way if I don't like my PCD's, I can sell them to you for a pretty good cost

My PCD's should be on my doorstep tomorrow sometime.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by erick3
I glanced through your thread; forgive me if I misunderstand you. Now, I'm only 22, and so I understand if you take my thoughts and opinions with a pinch of salt. Clean and simple: you only live once. Get the Z06, satisfy your weekend needs (lol), and be done with it. You know you'll regret NOT doing it. Of course, when your financial needs, etc.. are stable. Modding expensive cars in and of themselves are EXPENSIVE though! ENJOY man!

Side note: I had a friend crash his R1 and fly under a car. Long story short, he survived, but he no longer has any abdominal muscles (all 3 layers are GONE). He has a beer belly, so to speak, for the rest of his life. His BODY caught under a car and it ripped him open. He laid their with his abdominal-pelvic contents next to him. How'd he survive? God gave me another chance. Stay away from the bike.
I was looking at bikes on Craigslist all night last night, but exactly what you said is what keeps nagging at me. I am just so damn worried about other drivers around here, or dropping the bike and getting seriously injured. Aside from the fact that I would have to get a motorcycle license, I am just not 100% on the idea of owning a bike, I am about to throw that out the window. I have a space in my garage that would be perfect for storing a bike though haha Any new car I get is going to have to sit out on the street since it's a 1 car garage. But I know that I would never regret picking up a Z06 because I've wanted one since the day I saw it, and I've always felt comfortable in a heavily modified car because you have so many safety features around you instead of just leathers and a helmet.
Originally Posted by Morrissey25
I say just get the J-pipe... that way if I don't like my PCD's, I can sell them to you for a pretty good cost

My PCD's should be on my doorstep tomorrow sometime.
I'm starting to lean this direction. Jpipe seems to make a pretty noticeable impact with the TL from what I've read, and it's relatively cheap. If I get bored of the power I could always throw on PCDs to tide me over until the car is paid off and I can comfortably afford to pick up another weekend car. If I start modding the TL-S a little more, it would also give me an incentive to repaint the scratches on my rear bumper and get the torn door card / driver side rear seat panel fixed. Well, I'm almost there!