3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing between Ebony or Quartz interior...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing between Ebony or Quartz interior...

Hello everyone. I will be getting a silver 06 TL with navigation soon and im having a hard time choosing between Ebony or Quartz interior. Those of you with these interiors...what made you choose one over the other? Quartz looks very classy and nice. Ebony is also nice and a bit more sporty...but my experiences with black leather as opposed to any other color is that it tends to show more of its wear, lines etc. overtime. It seems as other colors visibly conceal the wear better than black. Help!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
My "other" TL is an '05 Satin Silver/Quartz/5AT/Nav (mine is an '04 Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/Nav). The Quartz is a beautiful interior. Nicely highlights and touches.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I had a 2003 Accord with a black interior and my parents got the same car with a grey interior - 4 years later, I think my car wore better... maybe I took better care of mine, but it seemed to me that the darker interior did not show dirt or wear as much. (wrinkles in the leather would collect dirt on the grey that did not show as much with the black.)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acura818
Hello everyone. I will be getting a silver 06 TL with navigation soon and im having a hard time choosing between Ebony or Quartz interior. Those of you with these interiors...what made you choose one over the other? Quartz looks very classy and nice. Ebony is also nice and a bit more sporty...but my experiences with black leather as opposed to any other color is that it tends to show more of its wear, lines etc. overtime. It seems as other colors visibly conceal the wear better than black. Help!
I have an Anthracite/Ebony 05 AT5. I had a choice between the Quartz and the Ebony when I bought the car. The Quartz is beautiful, but I was tired of light colored interiors and hadn't had a black one in 20 years.

After owning the car for six months, I'm happy with the choice. No constant cleaning of the light colored mats, and the seats look fine.

The Ebony has really grown on me.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
ebony looks sharper and more expensive to me. I think the grey interior looks plasticky
Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i personally think the ebony interior is too dark and makes the interior seem smaller than it is. The Quartz is just dark enough that it doesn't show dirt as much but still makes the interior feel roomier.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Ebony is awesome clean. To me the Quartz shows dirt too easily.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Advanced

go with ebony. my old car had a light brown leather and after 5years of abuse you could see the tear/wear, and all the dirt.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Just make sure that if you get Ebony you take care of it. It will show scratches and dryness otherwise
Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really care for either the quartz or the parchment. IMO Black or camel are really the only two choices I'd even consider and I'm not much of a fake wood guy, so the black was the obvious choice for me.

The only thing in my Ebony interior that was tough to keep looking goods was the all weather matts. Needless to say I sold them and the interior looks better than ever. Just dust your dash when you wash the car and you won't have anything to worry about.

Go with Black.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i have the quartz interior and like it...maybe just because the car is black, i didnt want overkill with the ebony interior. the interior of my mustang is black and it gets really fucking hot-thats probably another reason why i chose quartz (well i didnt have a choice since i bought the only manual the dealer was going to have for a while, but i would have avoided black int. if it was the other way around)
Old 03-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

I'm pretty sure the dash is going to be black no matter what color you choose.

I chose ebony b/c I like the interior to look the same throughout. I didn't want the dash to be a diff. color than the rest of the interior.

Color choice is a personal opinion anyway, so you will ultimately have to make that decision, not us. Good luck with your decision. Either way, you'll be getting a great car
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wanted a black/ebony interior but after I saw the quartz I just thought it looked cleaner. The ebony shows dirt more than the quartz. However, quartz will show a hint of blue from jeans unlinke ebony if you don't contantly stay on top of cleaning and conditioning it. I didn't like how some of the wear lines on the ebony looked kinda whitish where they were wearing. Definitely pro's and con's for both. I have always had black interiors and I wasn't willing to settle until I actually saw and sat inside a brand new SSM TL with the quartz. My decision was easy after that. If you do get the quartz pick up the all-weather mats otherwise after a few weeks/months your floor mats will look like ass. Even after shampooing they still didn't look good.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:47 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Scribesoft
I chose ebony b/c I like the interior to look the same throughout. I didn't want the dash to be a diff. color than the rest of the interior.
What he said.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i have black/black... and loving it
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Lt. Dangle

Color choice is a personal opinion anyway, so you will ultimately have to make that decision, not us. Good luck with your decision. Either way, you'll be getting a great car
I am with Scribsoft here. I really wanted Quartz (too hot for black in the South), but the black dash and steering wheel just looked too busy to me. Heck even the Camel interior in the red one I looked at had the black dash and wheel. That just doesn't work for me. I know Acura saves money this way, but WTF?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Instructor

In went silver / quartz this time (my 2002 was silver black).

I like the added contrast in interior colors with the quartz. The all-black interior got old for me. Although I liked it in my first car, I thought it was too much black this time around - like someone filled the car with black paint and then let is drain out ...

I will say that after only a month the quartz is showing dirt more than the black did. However, the black will still show soil and wear - just not as much.

Either way you go is fine. After 4 summers of black interior though, I was really looking for something lighter. Plus as I said, I think the added interior constrast makes the interior a little more interesting.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
ebony looks sharper and more expensive to me. I think the grey interior looks plasticky
Same thought as mine when i chose the ebony int.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Instructor

This is true, but I'm not sure a car that is all one single color inside is necessarily a good thing. Did you spray-paint the aluminum trim black as well?

Seriously though, the car has a substanial amount of black (not the dash). So the black/quartz highlighting appears consistently both in the front and back - not just the dash.

I agree with the soiling comments. I may regret quartz for that reason, but not for styling.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by awood
This is true, but I'm not sure a car that is all one single color inside is necessarily a good thing. Did you spray-paint the aluminum trim black as well?

Seriously though, the car has a substanial amount of black (not the dash). So the black/quartz highlighting appears consistently both in the front and back - not just the dash.

I agree with the soiling comments. I may regret quartz for that reason, but not for styling.
No, no spraypaint. Like I said, it's just personal preference. I like the way the aluminum trim compliments the black. I personally don't like the Black dash with a different color below. If the top of the dash were the same/similar color as the rest of the interior (in a color other than black), I may have gone with a different interior color.

I use to own a '96 TL 3.2 which was dk. green with a tan interior. The entire interior (minus some fake wood trim) was all tan. That includes the top and bottom of the dash. I liked the look as it was more uniform. The only way I can get that same uniformity in the 3G is to go all black.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a multi-colored dash (split between top/bottom).. it's just not for me.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by leedogg

You cant ride in my car anymore
Old 03-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xtin

On that note... I LOVE the grey!
Old 03-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by enormus
I am with Scribsoft here. I really wanted Quartz (too hot for black in the South), but the black dash and steering wheel just looked too busy to me. Heck even the Camel interior in the red one I looked at had the black dash and wheel. That just doesn't work for me. I know Acura saves money this way, but WTF?
You think that's bad, how about the poor Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG buyers who spend $185,000 and still get a two tone dash and a black steering wheel?? I was going pick this car, but the two-tone dash looked too "plasticy" to me. The all black TL is much more luxurious, and only 18% the price of this cheap-mobile.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

hahaha doh. looks like i'm on the shitlist for awhile

to clarify, the color of the interior really depends on the color of the exterior. Certain combinations look better because they contrast better. For example, quartz DEFINITELY looks better with an ANTHRACITE or black exterior, whereas the ebony interior contrasts better with a lighter exterior like silver or white.

I'm a good ass kisser

p.s. thats EXPENSIVE plastic *hides again*
Old 03-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yohan81718
i have black/black... and loving it
Black/Black is the best. Chicks love it.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by nednj36
Black/Black is the best. Chicks love it.
Exept when its 100 degrees outside and they are wearing short shorts
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go ebony. No two tone interior, black hides dirt/grease better. Grey interior shows shoe scuffs and anything you rack in. Ebony will show light colored objects but all of that can be vaccumed.

And I agree with the others that said ebony looks richer.

Have fun deciding!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:33 PM
04 NBP 6MT

I have black on black and love it. Prior to the TL, I had a black on black RSX Type-S that was really not bad at all in the summer. My car before the RSX was silver with a light interior and it was okay. If I had gotten a silver TL, I would have gone with ebony because the contrast would look really good.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Man of God.....

My signature tells it all. But that just me. I don't think it looks small at all. But it seems to hug you, and hold you tight....... well on into the night.....
Old 03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Thumbs down

Not impressed
Old 03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

I have Alabaster Silver Metallic with Quartz Interior, and I love it! The quartz interior looks great, is elegant, and classy. Plus, it is not going to absorb heat in the summer.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

you don't want quartz, that's all i'm gonna say
Old 03-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with black

As they say, "once you've had black, you'll never go back!"
Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

id get any color, and then get white leather interior and get the dash painted white
it might get dirty quick, but itll look hot
Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
As they say, "once you've had black, you'll never go back!"
Not true
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Not true

Uh oh... Is there a story here?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Newbie.

Originally Posted by huckleberry
you don't want quartz, that's all i'm gonna say
Why? Is there some secret about the Quartz - hence the wink?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Nobody's Hero

Originally Posted by awood
I like the added contrast in interior colors with the quartz. The all-black interior got old for me. Although I liked it in my first car, I thought it was too much black this time around... Plus as I said, I think the added interior constrast makes the interior a little more interesting.
I agree! I love the quartz interior. It looks great with silver.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acura818
I have the ebony and love it! I looked at the different interiors and liked the ebony so much that I chose the interior color first and then looked at my options on the exterior! My first choice would have been WDP with Ebony...too bad I didn't wait until the '06 model!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by TailsToo
Uh oh... Is there a story here?
I went back

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between Ebony or Quartz interior...