Sponsored by:

Need Advise! Car feels sluggish??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:36 PM
NY/NJ TL Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Need Advise! Car feels sluggish??

Hey guys,
I have owned my 05 TL Auto for 1 year now, and all i have done to it is the AEM CAI, but for some reason my car feels sluggish. For example, if traveling on the highway at lets say 50mph and i step on it to accelerate, it feels like a prolonged delay. Is this normal, do you guys have the same problem? Any ideas on what it could be? My friend told me that its just the way our transmission is built..is this true? Thanks guys for your help in advance!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
High expectations?

Originally Posted by arseny87
Hey guys,
I have owned my 05 TL Auto for 1 year now, and all i have done to it is the AEM CAI, but for some reason my car feels sluggish. For example, if traveling on the highway at lets say 50mph and i step on it to accelerate, it feels like a prolonged delay. Is this normal, do you guys have the same problem? Any ideas on what it could be? My friend told me that its just the way our transmission is built..is this true? Thanks guys for your help in advance!
My 2004 is always snappy and I haven't noticed any sluggishness.

I would have the dealer check it out.

If you have over 5,000 miles, it should be broken in and loosened up.

Maybe your parents had a governor installed.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 AM
acura-cl.com OG

try cleaning your AEM's filter element. if you put alot of miles on your car that could be the culprit, they get dirty really fast.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Racer

The first thing your dealer may do is blame the problem on your CAI. (That's if they can duplicate the problem).
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid
The first thing your dealer may do is blame the problem on your CAI. (That's if they can duplicate the problem).

I would revert back to stock...then observe the car for a coupole days then bring it to the dealer with its stock parts installed too.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:21 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holly shit My car has been doing the same thing... i just came to post my problem and the feeling that i get is when I step on the throttle the RPM kinda goes up 2k then comes down and speeds up... I also have a aem CAI that i got on when my car had 3k and now has 115k and never got changed
i know i know i should have cleaned it because i bet its filthy and thats whats causing the sluggishness... its so dirty i guess that when i punch it kinda feels like something is blocking it... i should get under the car and see fuk around i might have a dead cat, or a plastic bag covering it
Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 AM
NY/NJ TL Crew

Originally Posted by Xpditor
My 2004 is always snappy and I haven't noticed any sluggishness.

I would have the dealer check it out.

If you have over 5,000 miles, it should be broken in and loosened up.

Maybe your parents had a governor installed.
Umm, you are pretty funny with the parents joke concerning the governer. This is my car and I pay for the lease myself they just help me with insurance, but thanks for the stupid comment anyway!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Advanced

What did you drive before? I've had my TL for about 2 weeks now, I traded in my low 13-second 350z for it. My TL feels sluggish everytime I drive it. When I floor it, theres is a good second before it downshifts and engages.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
love my voltage regulator/grounding kit :wub:
Old 09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
www.seattlewhips.com

Originally Posted by iLL TL
Holly shit My car has been doing the same thing... i just came to post my problem and the feeling that i get is when I step on the throttle the RPM kinda goes up 2k then comes down and speeds up... I also have a aem CAI that i got on when my car had 3k and now has 115k and never got changed
i know i know i should have cleaned it because i bet its filthy and thats whats causing the sluggishness... its so dirty i guess that when i punch it kinda feels like something is blocking it... i should get under the car and see fuk around i might have a dead cat, or a plastic bag covering it
not gonna say anything, since you obviously know that you should clean it. but man, 112K miles w/o cleaning... you should probably just buy a new filter cone. but watch out.. your engine may go into shock from having all that clean air. haha
Old 09-19-2006, 08:36 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Ok had the filter cleaned but the guy said it wasnt that bad...
There is def something wrong... i know my car... had it since day 1... when i shift into second and accelerate/ releasing the clutch the engine revs to like 4.5k andkinda stays there for a second before comming down then going up to follow thru with the gear... Kinda feels the car is over reving... Before this gets any worse i have to do the ol switcharoo with the intake before that gets the blame before the car is even on the ramp lol... anyone know what might be?! Just when i thought i was done with all the lil bullsh!t this happens...
Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Ok had the filter cleaned but the guy said it wasnt that bad...
There is def something wrong... i know my car... had it since day 1... when i shift into second and accelerate/ releasing the clutch the engine revs to like 4.5k andkinda stays there for a second before comming down then going up to follow thru with the gear... Kinda feels the car is over reving... Before this gets any worse i have to do the ol switcharoo with the intake before that gets the blame before the car is even on the ramp lol... anyone know what might be?! Just when i thought i was done with all the lil bullsh!t this happens...
That sounds like it may be a clutch slip to me. You said 115k miles? Does it ever seem to over-rev when you're driving along and give it more gas in the same gear?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Yooohooo I was talking to one of my buddies last night
and explained to him my symptoms and we nailed it... its the clutch slippin like you said wild-tl... To nail it off he asked if i ever smelled like smothing rotten, i said yeah and i had even mentioned to my girl the other day and that was case closed...
Wild, it does over rev when im on the same gear and try to floor it...

at 20K it seems too soon but again, I drive like im the fastest car ummhuh TL out there lol I didnt feel too bad when my friend told me his changed his at 20K then at 50K now he just did it again at 75K I guess we have the same style of driving, so thats gotta change

Anyone know what i should do?! he said a transmission guys is the one that does it... should i take it to acura, or find a local place araound here?! how much should i expect to have to shell out?! Help your boy out guys! thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Racer

Yooohooo I was talking to one of my buddies last night
and explained to him my symptoms and we nailed it... its the clutch slippin like you said wild-tl... To nail it off he asked if i ever smelled like smothing rotten, i said yeah and i had even mentioned to my girl the other day and that was case closed...
Wild, it does over rev when im on the same gear and try to floor it...

at 20K it seems too soon but again, I drive like im the fastest car ummhuh TL out there lol I didnt feel too bad when my friend told me his changed his at 20K then at 50K now he just did it again at 75K I guess we have the same style of driving, so thats gotta change

Anyone know what i should do?! he said a transmission guys is the one that does it... should i take it to acura, or find a local place araound here?! how much should i expect to have to shell out?! Help your boy out guys! thanks
You're posts are almost incoherent... First above you say your car is at 115k, then here you say its 20k. If your clutch is really wearing out at 20k, you are riding the shit out of it. Its more user error than hard driving. Even if you drive hard as hell, if you're doing it correctly you'll get way more than 20k miles out of a clutch. And why so happy? You're the first person i've seen that was so happy that they burned through the clutch in 20k miles.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

My car feels sluggish too.....but i have a clutchless TL. When I'm in the SS mode on the freeway doing the speed limit and down shift to 4th gear to pass up a car to change lanes, the car will pass it up with no problem. But when i would try doing it on a open highway from doing the speed limit to trying to gunning it from downshiftting to 4th to pick up speed then shift to 5th. And feels like the car won't pick up speed like how i had the car the first time. Any body have the same problem or is it just me...........
Old 09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

My bad was a typo error... i really meant to say 15 K because i'm really at 18 k not 20 either.. i tried to round it off to 15 and i guess i hit too many ones opps!
And I dont drive my car like a Auto, I shift at high RPM alot i tend to use less of my brakes when stoping i reduce with the gears... that might have done it... anyways anyone have this done, if so how much and what didy ou use if we have options?!
thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
love my voltage regulator/grounding kit :wub:
Apexi?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by twigglius
Apexi?