3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TL left me stranded on the highway.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL left me stranded on the highway.

Last week on Wednesday, 5-19-04, my TL broke down on 395 southbound going back home from DC to Northern Virgina. At first, my check engine light came on before I got on the highway, and so I decided I was going to take it straight to the dealer. When I got on the highway, the engine started to sputter and then it shut off. I coasted to the side of the road and then restarted the car. As I tried to get off the highway, it shut off again. This time, the engine wouldn't turn over anymore and I ended up having to call roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer. I still haven't heard from the dealer yet.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry to hear. Let's hope it is just fuel/ECU problems.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least your MIL had a good reason for coming on.

This really sucks. I hope you get this fixed soon. Could be a lemon engine or something simple, I guess. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Pakman, I always like to know this... when your engine was shut off, you're in "D" mode, right? Did you have to shift to "N" in order to coast to the side?...

Sorry to hear this . Please keep us updated. Wish you good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Advanced

that bites, hopefully nothing major

also, how many miles on it?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro

If it were a Nissan V6, I'd say it was the MAF sensor. Hopefully, it IS that simple. (fingers crossed)
Old 05-24-2004, 02:28 PM
I6

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
If it were a Nissan V6, I'd say it was the MAF sensor. Hopefully, it IS that simple. (fingers crossed)

LOL A lot of 5th gen Maxima owners had that problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
Pakman, I always like to know this... when your engine was shut off, you're in "D" mode, right? Did you have to shift to "N" in order to coast to the side?...

Sorry to hear this . Please keep us updated. Wish you good luck.
All I remember was that I didn't even know the engine had cut out until I pushed on the gas pedal and the car did not accelerate. It was still in D while I was coasting. When I realized that the engine was not running, I put it into neutral while coasting and tried to crank the motor. Apparently, it will not allow the engine to crank unless I'm completely stopped. Yeah, this does suck! I've been driving around in a RSX for almost a week now. I had 4900 miles on the odometer when this happened. I hope this isn't a flaw in all the TL's because it is extremely dangerous to have your engine shut off while you're going down the highway without power steering or brakes.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
LOL A lot of 5th gen Maxima owners had that problem.
yup...and it happened to me during a run at Englishtown!! I ran 16.4X AND won the race, though I had to limp my ass home. (keyword: limp, as in limp mode on the ECU) Peculiar thing: this was never a problem on the I35.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:47 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by Pakman
I hope this isn't a flaw in all the TL's because it is extremely dangerous to have your engine shut off while you're going down the highway without power steering or brakes.
Yeah I think if this was a problem in all the TL's it would happen more than once.

/jackass off

Anyway, good luck with your car. You don't need to be in Neutral to coast to the side of the road as I undestand it. In fact, I spend most of the time on the highway coasting... once you hit a comfortable speed you take your foot off the gas, right? All you do is push down every once in a while to maintain speed.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned

Sucks! Lets us know the diagnosis!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
keep us posted, this sounds quite interesting.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
drug dealer

hope this is only a small issue, hope you get some good news. you need to hear some good news.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Last week on Wednesday, 5-19-04, my TL broke down on 395 southbound going back home from DC to Northern Virgina. At first, my check engine light came on before I got on the highway, and so I decided I was going to take it straight to the dealer. When I got on the highway, the engine started to sputter and then it shut off. I coasted to the side of the road and then restarted the car. As I tried to get off the highway, it shut off again. This time, the engine wouldn't turn over anymore and I ended up having to call roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer. I still haven't heard from the dealer yet.
Should have bought a G35. Sorry I just had to
Old 05-24-2004, 09:38 PM

G35 plastic wonder world.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Team Anthracite Member

damn man, sorry to hear that. I hope its something simple but if you've been driving around in a RSX for a week then I'd begin to wonder.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GaleForce

Anyway, good luck with your car. You don't need to be in Neutral to coast to the side of the road as I undestand it. In fact, I spend most of the time on the highway coasting... once you hit a comfortable speed you take your foot off the gas, right? All you do is push down every once in a while to maintain speed.
There's an old lady that drives down my block like that twice a day!
Old 05-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry to hear this.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Or you could use Cruise Control and not have to move your feet at all. :smokin:
Old 05-25-2004, 02:02 AM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Hahahaha that's the first thing that came to my mind. But then I thought throttle positioning sensor..
Old 05-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Intermediate

Unhappy

They called me last night to tell me that they still don't know what is wrong with my car. The night crew has been working on my car so they didn't work on it during the weekend. They told me they will need to keep it for a few more days. The guy on the phone said it might be the car's immobilizer that's causing my engine to shut off. Who knows...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
...that runs. :smackhead
Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by apwalsh
There's an old lady that drives down my block like that twice a day!
Except I do it at 80 and keep it at 80 for normal driving :p
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by garylee55
...that runs. :smackhead
:lol1:
Old 05-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
When I realized that the engine was not running, I put it into neutral while coasting and tried to crank the motor. Apparently, it will not allow the engine to crank unless I'm completely stopped.
I tried this out today, because I wanted to know if what you said was correct, which would be good to know if the same situation every happened to me. Well, my car will allow me to crank and restart the engine while moving when in neutral. It is so quiet that maybe you didn't hear it trying to crank. I had to watch the tach because I couldn't hear it cranking and couldn't tell that it started until the tach moved, and then I released the key and put it in drive.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
I tried this out today, because I wanted to know if what you said was correct, which would be good to know if the same situation every happened to me. Well, my car will allow me to crank and restart the engine while moving when in neutral. It is so quiet that maybe you didn't hear it trying to crank. I had to watch the tach because I couldn't hear it cranking and couldn't tell that it started until the tach moved, and then I released the key and put it in drive.

Wouldnt see why any car wouldnt start in neutral
Old 05-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Wouldnt see why any car wouldnt start in neutral
I didn't either, but who knows these days with all the electronic and computerized things we have, which is why I tested it out.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ron A
I was moving at about 40mph while trying to start the car. I don't know, it didn't even try to turn over when I tried.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I was moving at about 40mph while trying to start the car. I don't know, it didn't even try to turn over when I tried.
Probably a dumb question, but is your battery OK? Or, as I said, with the noise at 40mph, maybe you didn't hear it because of all the sound deadening insulation in the cabin?

Anyway, I hope they solve your problem. It is not good to have to sleep apart from your baby.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

It may ba a plastic wonder but it has the one of the best engines in the world as voted for the last 6 years or so.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I6

It's actually 8 years.
The only engine to win the award for every year since the award first came out.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Advanced

So now let get this right,No G35 motor has ever, and I do mean ever,broke down..If one has,then you need to shut the "F" up and go troll the G35 thread.. :thefinger
Old 05-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
It's actually 8 years.
The only engine to win the award for every year since the award first came out.
Not quite.. it's actually 10 years.

But back to the topic for a second please. Did you ever get a verdict as to why the vehicle stalled?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:50 AM
I6

Your right it's 10 years.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

No verdict yet. I'm gonna give them a call tonight.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rcat
So now let get this right,No G35 motor has ever, and I do mean ever,broke down..If one has,then you need to shut the "F" up and go troll the G35 thread.. :thefinger
Exactly. This is why some of us make fun of and harrass people who show up saying "The TL is a piece of crap because MY car has a problem."

In the first place, a single car with a single problem, no matter how bad, does not mean the model overall is bad. In the second place, some of the problems people complain about are just petty (not this thread). They say "A $35k car should not have this problem" as though any auto manufacturer could guarantee perfection at any price. People who say this have never before owned a car costing this much and think they are spending a lot of money. But even $60,75,100k cars develop problems. Humans make cars. Humans aren't perfect.

This is just logic. But people say, oh, stop defending the TL, people have a right to complain. Yes, people have a right to complain. They also have a right to stand in the pouring rain and pick their noses if they really want to look so stupid.

To the original poster - good luck getting your car fixed, let us know how it goes.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rcat

Incorrect!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Arrow Imho...

Originally Posted by TLGator
Exactly. This is why some of us make fun of and harrass people who show up saying "The TL is a piece of crap because MY car has a problem."

In the first place, a single car with a single problem, no matter how bad, does not mean the model overall is bad. In the second place, some of the problems people complain about are just petty (not this thread). They say "A $35k car should not have this problem" as though any auto manufacturer could guarantee perfection at any price. People who say this have never before owned a car costing this much and think they are spending a lot of money. But even $60,75,100k cars develop problems. Humans make cars. Humans aren't perfect.

This is just logic. But people say, oh, stop defending the TL, people have a right to complain. Yes, people have a right to complain. They also have a right to stand in the pouring rain and pick their noses if they really want to look so stupid.

To the original poster - good luck getting your car fixed, let us know how it goes.

Well said, TLGator. A concern or trouble may be only happened in some certain cars, it doesn't signify the entire series of cars are the disappointment. If anyone looks the faultlessness, they should buy "Hyundai", not Honda, they will guarantee your cars are under warranty for 10 yrs and make sure you have no regret at all when they have tribulations. Many ppl in this forum also experienced their 70k above cars having numerous issues, so what's the point for this 35k car. Yes, many ppl may say this car is born to be a much better car and outperform most of similar vehicles in all categories, as well as it should be trouble-free because I spend SO MUCH money to buy this $35k car. But, this car is still imperfect at this moment, 1st yr model.

I think ppl have right to nitpick or whine, but don't grumble it by adding the phrase "35k" with your anger. The evils in cars do make ppl feel ghastly, you absolutely have right to vent your case in this forum (under its policy), find the solution, and inform others of the story. But, please choose your words nicely and carefully, don't upset other fellows here. When you affront this 35k car, you also insult other ppl buying this car. (Vice versa, if you’re holding extreme views and saying how good this car is, you may also just spoil these owners and they would be just a frog in a well.)

Many ppl here are trouble-free, so far, or aren't aware of having problems/issues in their car. They're the happiest ones. I'm almost there in my rattle/rust can go away... ... :o

But, there is one thing bothering me... the attitude from Acura... they seem not to mind anything or negligent in some issues (like EL42s) until they get worse. :o
Old 06-14-2004, 01:31 PM
the Budman

Pakman, what ever happened to your TL?

No verdict yet. I'm gonna give them a call tonight.
Dude, any update on what the problem was?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:33 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
what if he's G35 owner and messing with our heads

joking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My TL left me stranded on the highway.