Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY TL has left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY TL has left me stranded

My 05 TL didn't start yesterday when I was on my way to a wedding. Infuriating. I assummed the battery was dead even though there was no evidence I left anything on.

So this morning I decide to see whats wrong. I jump start it with a battery booster and it fires right up. I then drove around and let it run for an hour just to get everything up to optimum levels. I then go to start it 2 hours later and dead as shit!!!!! WTF

So here I am, on a Sunday with lots of errands to do and people to visit and my new Acura TL has failed me. What could it be. Any suggestions as to what I should do. Should I just call acrua and have them tow it to the dealer. I dont even own jumper cables. This is my 5th brand new car in 8 years for the very purpose of never having down time. I am willing to may through the nose to always have a reliable car waiting for me!!

Plus, Im on vacation starting tomorrow so this really sucks.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Why didn't you replace that battery?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Why didn't you replace that battery?

First off, I really dont think its the battery. Its only 2 years old. I will admit to not knowing much about the mechanical end of all this but a 2 year old battery on an Acura seems premature.

And if it was the battery, wouldnt doing what I did, jumping it and letting it run have eliminated the battery as a problem. Also, now ehn I turn the key I hear wierd spasmic clicks. Wonderful stuff!!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, the TL battery SUCKS. I got my 06 replaced from the dealer at 20-22k miles and got it done for free
Old 10-14-2007, 01:53 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Sounds a lot like my ordeal last year. I did the same thing you had done when I thought the battery was the culprit. I even replaced the battery and my car STILL wouldn't start. It ended up being an electrical issue and I had my fuse box inside the car replaced.

Before you rule this out, see if you can pull a fuse out from inside the car, then stick it back in and see if your car will crank. If that's the case, the fuse box from inside the car is defective.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Dont assume anything. Its your battery, and you should have driven to the dealer to replace it. Several people have reported their batteries failing after 2 yrs.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodney
First off, I really dont think its the battery. Its only 2 years old. I will admit to not knowing much about the mechanical end of all this but a 2 year old battery on an Acura seems premature.

And if it was the battery, wouldnt doing what I did, jumping it and letting it run have eliminated the battery as a problem. Also, now ehn I turn the key I hear wierd spasmic clicks. Wonderful stuff!!

Well from what you said, I would assume it's the battery. First, there has been known problems with the TL batteries including the new TLS batteries. Secondly, you said that you car start up with a jump. And lastly you said that you even ran the battery for over an hour and it wouldn't start up after that. Why wouldn't you think the problem is the battery itself? I think you should just isolate the problem by trying a new battery. If it's not that battery, then you can move on to the next thing.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:58 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Well from what you said, I would assume it's the battery. First, there has been known problems with the TL batteries including the new TLS batteries. Secondly, you said that you car start up with a jump. And lastly you said that you even ran the battery for over an hour and it wouldn't start up after that. Why wouldn't you think the problem is the battery itself? I think you should just isolate the problem by trying a new battery. If it's not that battery, then you can move on to the next thing.
Agreed, every symptom he posted screams dead battery, dont know why he thought otherwise. The clicks are the lack of juice to do anything else.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
My battery died when it was only 11 months old. If the symptoms are there (and they seem to be), then you shouldn't assume anything but a faulty battery.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Driving the car around with dead battery trying to be charged by the alternator does not do it fully and correctly- then idleing does not create enough juice to charge it- just to run the systems
Battery Charger is for charging battery

FREE testing of batt and alternator available at any major parts store
Do it today and it they say its got a bad cell or does not pass the LOAD test,
drop it off in front of the service dept entrance door tonight so they have to get it out of the way
If its warranty- no sweat- they will do it and send you on your way
Talk with the SERVICE MANAGER-not the WRITER, tell them you are trying to leave on vacation- please work on BEFORE the morning meeting!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leedogg
Agreed, every symptom he posted screams dead battery, dont know why he thought otherwise. The clicks are the lack of juice to do anything else.

I suffer from not knowing a damn thing about mechanical issues. Just got the car jumped again. I guess it is the battery. I will bring it in to Acura in the morning.

Is it covered under warranty, or will I have to "put a flame thrower to that place" in the words of Pacino.

Thank you all for advice!!!! Azine rules and you guys are the best
Old 10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
RAR

Yeah, when a batter goes, it just doesnt hold its charge anymore no matter how long you drive it around after you get it going. If your car is under warranty then the batter is covered, however you might want to consider picking up a red top and file a warranty claim
Old 10-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Is it covered under warranty...
The batteries used to be under a full 2-year warranty (and pro-rated after 24 months), but some posters mentioned that they are now covered for 3 years before proration.
G/L.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sure sounds like a battery problem. If you use the car for short trips frequently, the drain on the battery is even more. Also, I wonder if some of the dealers put in recycled batteries in new cars and install them as if they are new.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Or a dirty negative terminal .
Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Race Director

Wasnt there a recall on 05 TLs for the fuel pump? Maybe that could be it.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:08 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Rodney, You could have a defective battery.

Doesn't mean it can't have a bad cell.

I doubt your alternator is on its way out, I would check your terminals. It wouldnt hurt to clean them up and check for corrosion. A bad cell battery will do fine once the car is jump started and kept on, once its turned off... its all over.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:09 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

BTW is it a factory delco battery?

If so they are only really expeceted to last about 2-3 years.

Ive seen already a few come into my job with dead batteries with less than 30k.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a new battery after 20k miles. I had taken it in for something else and when they tested the battery they said it was weak so they replaced it under warranty.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced

I would add this friendly piece of advice, related to your OP: Get a set of jumper cables, learn the sequence of connecting them to another battery and how to use them (you can also get a cable-carrying bag that has those instructions printed on it) and carry them with you in your trunk. No sense having to count on "the next guy" when you need to hit someone up for a jump somewhere; you'll be ready, and properly equipped.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Getting worse!! Jumped the car again and went to visit my friend who just bought a new Mustang Roush edition. That thing sounds so amazing. I giggled like a 2 year old every time I stepped on the gas. Thunderous, and it starts when you turn the key.

So after driveing his car and getting ready to come home, I jumped the TL again, and 2 minutes later Im driving down the road and the car goes dead, all electrical items shut down and the car seems to stall, then afetr beginning to pull over to the side of the road, it came back to life. Now every possible indicator light on the dash came on and stayed on, while the engine is being intermittent in smooth power delivery. I turned on the interior light and it flickers while the car is on.

Finally get home, park it, turn it over, it wont start, cant use the fey fob to lock the car, and I am unhappy.

Tomorrow I will be at Acura at 7:30 when they open to get a loaner car. I will presumably be told that they are overwhelmed, have no loaner cars, and that I should have called before showing up. I will then in no uncertain terms tell them that this is the first day of my much needed vacation, and I would rather die in a fire that be sitting in Acura service eating stale donuts.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
i would think its the battery too.

an average, run-of-the-mill battery typically has a service life of around 2 years - regardless of the car.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have gone to the autoparts and bought a new battery by now. I would not continue to jump start the car.

I had the Delco battery in my MDX, lasted 1.5 years and 22K miles. My CL-S when I bought it used and certified had a Delco battery, and lasted less than a year.

Spend the $120.00 and purchase a quality battery.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-029.PDF

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B88-016.PDF

I had a dead battery at 11 mos of ownership as well. Fortunately, it was not the Navi draining issue where they had to take apart my dash. Acura replaced the battery no questions asked.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting worse!! Jumped the car again and went to visit my friend who just bought a new Mustang Roush edition. That thing sounds so amazing. I giggled like a 2 year old every time I stepped on the gas. Thunderous, and it starts when you turn the key.

So after driveing his car and getting ready to come home, I jumped the TL again, and 2 minutes later Im driving down the road and the car goes dead, all electrical items shut down and the car seems to stall, then afetr beginning to pull over to the side of the road, it came back to life. Now every possible indicator light on the dash came on and stayed on, while the engine is being intermittent in smooth power delivery. I turned on the interior light and it flickers while the car is on.

Finally get home, park it, turn it over, it wont start, cant use the fey fob to lock the car, and I am unhappy.

Tomorrow I will be at Acura at 7:30 when they open to get a loaner car. I will presumably be told that they are overwhelmed, have no loaner cars, and that I should have called before showing up. I will then in no uncertain terms tell them that this is the first day of my much needed vacation, and I would rather die in a fire that be sitting in Acura service eating stale donuts.

Well you probably had a "battery only" issue but from all of your jumping (hopefully via proper process) you may have caused damage to the alternator as well.
Definitely get it to the shop.

- Death by fire and dealing with a dealership service dept are quite similar. Both are terribly painful and running around screaming never helps.......
-- Now, given the right scenario, if it's your service writer who's on fire then that could be quite the pleasant experience not to mention well worth the visit........
Old 10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps jump starting the TL every 2 hours isn't so great for the electrical system... there are a lot of things getting a jolt of juice everytime you do that.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Rodney, the battery can no longer hold a charge. It has a bad cell.

FOR EXAMPLE:

The ecu and sensors require at least 5V to function, If your battery during the coarse of driving it got below 5V which is very possible, the ecu will have no idea on what to do with the bare min imformation being sent. The car will shut off and your back to being SOL. The moment I got my TL i dropped in a optima red top.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

No a days, its not recommended you jump start from car to car. You could and possibly very well damage the ECU. Jumper box is the only way to go with cars now a days. I hope the best rodney, and I hope the ECU isn't toast..
Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Rodney

I also forgot to mention.

There has been a lot of AC Delco defective batteries. Not saying you are in that case since your acura is an 05, but there been many cases where the new AC Delco battery fails before a year, usually resulting in a bad cell (S). Defective since factory.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 PM
DuDeChEwY

same crap happened to me like two months ago....just change the battery and ullbe goood
Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is a well-known issue with Acura TLs. The OEM Delco batteries that come with the car die after two years or so. Approaching the dealer for a prorated cost replacement is appropriate. You can also go aftermarket, which I did in the time I owned my TL. There are multiple threads floating around with the same issue.

Replace your battery and the issues go away.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM
RAR

goddamnit. if you dont get a battery right now. not when the dealer can swap it out. now. now. yes, go now. then I simply dont want to hear about your next story.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I was disconnecting my battery to do some welding on the exhaust and I noticed that my positive lead was just about ready to fall off. The clamp is pretty much bottomed out and I had to push down while tightening the bolt to get a snug fit.

I've got an 04 Honda Pilot and it's lasted 4yrs up here where is very long. I garage it, so that may be the difference.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
change the battery!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
*up here where winter is very long
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Personally I would keep a set of jumper cables inside the cabin of the car. I've got a set underneath my driver's seat. I'm gonna move it to the backseat wall inside the trunk and hook it there. That way I can reach it through the backseat pass-through.

The reason why I suggest this is because, when your battery dies, you lose all electrical functions of the car, including the trunk. The button inside the car is electronically controlled. I learned this the hard way because when my battery gave out I couldn't reach the cables inside the trunk (it wouldn't pop open).

Needless to say, the dealer took care of the battery and I was on the road thereafter. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

My battery died after 16 months. I got the dealer to replace it.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get it to the dealer as soon as you can, that way they'll replace the battery free of charge, and if there is something else wrong with the car mention it stalled on you.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, what the fuck? Just change the battery man! I mean damn, you ask for advice, get it, and you still riding around on temp charges looking at Mustangs and shit, trying to thwart downtime, yet increasing it!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM
6th Gear

Samething happened to me, bad positive cable and bat.
Also Slim you can keep your cables in the trunk there is a trunk release just inside the passthrough.

Quick Reply: MY TL has left me stranded