3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TL got injured, injured bad... (with photos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Well, he could be 100% correct. Have you asked him to check the wheel balance?? The impact of the wreck could have knocked off a one or some of the balance weights causing the high speed shake or wobble...

Could also be a bent wheel or damaged tire...
Very true but jeez, you would think this would be standard procedure after a car has been in a serious accident. You would think they would test drive the car. Just like mine that was supposedly test driven after the shop got done. I've been in competitive powerlifting half of my life and I could barely turn the steering wheel when leaving the parking lot. These shops seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper. They lose money on people who actually bring the car back to have it fixed right but I bet for every one person that brings it back, 5 others just accept it.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
The body shop probably did indeed do a test drive. The problem doesn't manifest itself until 65 mph, so maybe they only went up to 60 mph, who knows?? But the guy was in the car with the OP when he pointed out the vibration/wobble felt through the steering wheel. This can be subjective, so who knows...but they should at least make some effort to investigate what is causing the wobble/vibration.

Since the only problem is a wobble/vibration that doesn't show up until 65 mph, my bet is a bent or out of balance wheel or possibly a damaged tire.

If the guy won't send the car for re-balancing, then go back to your insurance adjuster and let him know. If the condition still exists after a successful re-balancing, then you now have ammo to re-attack on the suspension issue.

Good luck and keep us updated...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-22-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
injured... injured bad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get this: I'm in Cali right now visiting my family. I get an email saying that the car's alignment came out clear and back to factory specs and also that my car is ready to be picked up. I send a friend over there to pick it up, test drive it on and off the interstate, and call me and tell me what's going on. She calls me and says that when the car is turning right on the loop to get on the interstate, the car JERKS left. Not vears, but jerks. ..Sweet... And when she got on the straight away and up to speed, there wasn't any noticable vibration in the steering wheel, BUT when she took her hand off the wheel, the car was drastically vearing left. She said when she was on the straight away she could feel the car trying to pull itself left when she was holding the steering wheel. FML!

I called Jim at Accurate Autobody and told him everything. What he said he has to do is call Erie (the other guy's insurance), get the go-ahead to work on the car, and then get started on it tomorrow morning. Also they aren't open for Thanksgiving from Thursday-Sunday so I definitely won't get my car back until two weeks from now. This sucks...

Another issue: Since I guessed that my car was going to be done while I was out of state, I went ahead and brought my rental back . Shouldn't be an issue to re-rent a car since I have all the paper work filed and the aggreement was that I can rent a car (max $29.99/day) up until my car is finished with the bodyshop...and it's definitely not finished. I'll call Erie in the morning to let them know everything.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by markbento
I love insurance a## holes as all they try to do is take your money and when its time to pay out they want to use junkyard parts and aftermarket junk you need to stand your ground with these jerks and if it is not to your liking do not let them even put the part on inform the insurance company they will be hearing from your lawyer and watch how they start to hear you they tried to replace rims I had stolen off of a caddy with yard rims until I ask them if they were going to put in writing that the rims were 100 % safe and had no problems. so I could hand it over to my lawyer, next that 4 brand new rims from caddy were at the repair shop for my car stand your ground it might take longer to get it fixed but its your car and they have to put it back to the same way it was before the crash and they will try to tell you they have the right to use what ever parts they want to fix your car what they don't tell you is you have the right to fight them and refuse the parts
You need to think before you open your mouth! Insurance covers what is on your policy! It clearly states that they can use aftermarket or used parts where they want to save costs. Was your car not in used condition before you wrecked it? so tell me why these used parts are any worse then what you had on the car?! if you dont want aftermarket parts then go to an insurance company that does not use then, live in a state that does not allow them or pay the extra to take out the policy that says they will not use them. educate yourself on insurance before you open your mouth!

Also replacing all the cotrol arms, end links and what not is a WAY over reaction! An insurance company is not going to just replace these to make you feel better, there needs to be clear damage to this part for it to be replaced. Everyone thinks that because the pay for insurance if they get in an accident the insurance company is an open checkbook to replace everything!
Ask for a copy of the alignment specs before and after. this should prove to you if it is in spec or not.

Last edited by Comptechtl2367; 11-22-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

The body shop probably did indeed do a test drive. The problem doesn't manifest itself until 65 mph, so maybe they only went up to 60 mph, who knows?? But the guy was in the car with the OP when he pointed out the vibration/wobble felt through the steering wheel. This can be subjective, so who knows...but they should at least make some effort to investigate what is causing the wobble/vibration.

Since the only problem is a wobble/vibration that doesn't show up until 65 mph, my bet is a bent or out of balance wheel or possibly a damaged tire.

If the guy won't send the car for re-balancing, then go back to your insurance adjuster and let him know. If the condition still exists after a successful re-balancing, then you now have ammo to re-attack on the suspension issue.

Good luck and keep us updated...
A test drive is a complete cycle from stop and go, idle, hard acceleration, braking and semi high speed. If they did not take it up to maximum freeway speeds they did not do a complete test drive. Regardless I was talking about them not test driving my car. It's a safe bet they did not when it required both hands and enourmous forearm strength to turn the wheel.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
You need to think before you open your mouth! Insurance covers what is on your policy! It clearly states that they can use aftermarket or used parts where they want to save costs. Was your car not in used condition before you wrecked it? so tell me why these used parts are any worse then what you had on the car?! if you dont want aftermarket parts then go to an insurance company that does not use then, live in a state that does not allow them or pay the extra to take out the policy that says they will not use them. educate yourself on insurance before you open your mouth!
I totally understand what you're saying and you're right..... But the issue I have is I take extremely good care of my car so there are certain used parts that most likely will not be as good as the ones they're replacing.

Either way, most insurance places will work with you. If you ask nicely they will give you what you want. Case in point, my axles. I had a discussion with the lady handling my claim and I brought up the used axles on the invoice (before the work had begun). She said if they couldn't locate used axles they would install new ones. I told her I hoped they could not find used ones and she literally called right back saying they couldn't find them and laughing.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I totally understand what you're saying and you're right..... But the issue I have is I take extremely good care of my car so there are certain used parts that most likely will not be as good as the ones they're replacing.

Either way, most insurance places will work with you. If you ask nicely they will give you what you want. Case in point, my axles. I had a discussion with the lady handling my claim and I brought up the used axles on the invoice (before the work had begun). She said if they couldn't locate used axles they would install new ones. I told her I hoped they could not find used ones and she literally called right back saying they couldn't find them and laughing.
I am glad someone understands! I myself and very understanding the the aftermarket used situation but its stated in black and white in your policy that your company can use "cost effective" parts. now you do have the option to pay the differnce between the alterative parts and the oem part.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve5.9
Get this: I'm in Cali right now visiting my family. I get an email saying that the car's alignment came out clear and back to factory specs and also that my car is ready to be picked up. I send a friend over there to pick it up, test drive it on and off the interstate, and call me and tell me what's going on. She calls me and says that when the car is turning right on the loop to get on the interstate, the car JERKS left. Not vears, but jerks. ..Sweet... And when she got on the straight away and up to speed, there wasn't any noticable vibration in the steering wheel, BUT when she took her hand off the wheel, the car was drastically vearing left. She said when she was on the straight away she could feel the car trying to pull itself left when she was holding the steering wheel. FML!

I called Jim at Accurate Autobody and told him everything. What he said he has to do is call Erie (the other guy's insurance), get the go-ahead to work on the car, and then get started on it tomorrow morning. Also they aren't open for Thanksgiving from Thursday-Sunday so I definitely won't get my car back until two weeks from now. This sucks...

Another issue: Since I guessed that my car was going to be done while I was out of state, I went ahead and brought my rental back . Shouldn't be an issue to re-rent a car since I have all the paper work filed and the aggreement was that I can rent a car (max $29.99/day) up until my car is finished with the bodyshop...and it's definitely not finished. I'll call Erie in the morning to let them know everything.
Well, you've got me. Now it sounds like a suspension/alignment issue. What the heck? Your car goes from a vibration issue with no steering problems to just the opposite: steering problems but no vibration....Do you know a good Priest??
Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 AM
injured... injured bad

Also replacing all the cotrol arms, end links and what not is a WAY over reaction! An insurance company is not going to just replace these to make you feel better, there needs to be clear damage to this part for it to be replaced. Everyone thinks that because the pay for insurance if they get in an accident the insurance company is an open checkbook to replace everything!
Ask for a copy of the alignment specs before and after. this should prove to you if it is in spec or not.
The manager said he had a copy of the alignment specs and he said that they were "clear" in his words... And seriously, guy, take a chill pill. No one wants to hear you whining about your bad insurance days. Save it for the ramblings... I underdstand what you're saying and I don't really care whether they use cheaper parts, I just want my car done.

Last edited by Steve5.9; 11-23-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
injured... injured bad

I called the insurance company to tell them I was taking my car to my family's mechanic to see if they can fix the problem. The adjuster told me that he was looking at the alignment spec sheet and said that there wasn't anything wrong with the suspension and alignment and everything I find that isn't suspension/alignment related isn't accident related and that I will have to pay for it. I mean, I get that I should pay for anything that isn't accident related, but my car wasn't driving like shit before the accident! My car is now being taken over to Gateway Tire in Cool Springs and the Erie adjuster said he needed a diagnostic sheet from them before he pays for anything. The adjuster said he was a tech for years and he started tossing out all these things that COULD be causing it to jerk left, and he said all these things are not accident related. I have no idea how I should deal with this guy because he thinks he knows everything just by looking at an alignment sheet while he's sitting in his office 200 miles away! Get your ass over here and drive the damn thing! THEN tell me there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by Steve5.9; 11-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

I called the insurance company to tell them I was taking my car to my family's mechanic to see if they can fix the problem. The adjuster told me that he was looking at the alignment spec sheet and said that there wasn't anything wrong with the suspension and alignment and everything I find that isn't suspension/alignment related isn't accident related and that I will have to pay for it. I mean, I get that I should pay for anything that isn't accident related, but my car wasn't driving like shit before the accident! My car is now being taken over to Gateway Tire in Cool Springs and the Erie adjuster said he needed a diagnostic sheet from them before he pays for anything. The adjuster said he was a tech for years and he started tossing out all these things that COULD be causing it to jerk left, and he said all these things are not accident related. I have no idea how I should deal with this guy because he thinks he knows everything just by looking at an alignment sheet while he's sitting in his office 200 miles away! Get your ass over here and drive the damn thing! THEN tell me there's nothing wrong with it.
I would do exactly what you said in the last sentence tell him to get over there and drive it instead of arguing from his office.

You need to get aggressive with them. Tell them about all of your lost time, inconveinence, car payments on a car you're not driving, etc. I found out the hard way that sometimes if you're not aggressive they will blow you off. I'm not saying to be a jerk to all people but sometimes you have to. You have to flip it around to where you're calling the shots. TELL them what is going to happen next, don't give them the opportunity to call the shots.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
injured... injured bad

He also said for Gateway to send him what is wrong with the car and from that he'll be able to tell if it's accident related or not. He was making it sound like it isn't going to be suspension/alignment related since his paperwork says it was clear... He said if it is anything else, it isn't accident related, thus making me pay for it.

We'll see what is wrong with it.. I'm just glad that I have a good, reputable mechanic working on my car for once. Gateway is on my side for sure and they will definitely help me make sure Erie pays for the costs.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
injured... injured bad

He also said for Gateway to send him what is wrong with the car and from that he'll be able to tell if it's accident related or not. He was making it sound like it isn't going to be suspension/alignment related since his paperwork says it was clear... He said if it is anything else, it isn't accident related, thus making me pay for it.

We'll see what is wrong with it.. I'm just glad that I have a good, reputable mechanic working on my car for once. Gateway is on my side for sure and they will definitely help me make sure Erie pays for the costs.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:51 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam that blows. But most important no one was hurt. You can always get a new car, but you can only live life once. So thank the lord.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM
injured... injured bad

Originally Posted by ispiir
dam that blows. But most important no one was hurt. You can always get a new car, but you can only live life once. So thank the lord.
Atta baby! Get that post count up!

Anyways, got the car over at Gateway in Franklin and they called me today (day 47 without my car) and told me that I have a worn front motor mount and also some rack and pinion damage (I turned the car hard right while slamming on my brakes at impact, that could explain that).

Ok, so I called Erie and told them everything Nick (manager at Gateway ) told me and then I asked if I could re-rent a car. I told Rob at Erie that the 3rd time I was told that the car was ready, I believed them and turned my car in. Well now that is still in the shop, they agreed to let me rent a car for free for the next 4 days. YES!

What they are going to do now is take the car BACK over to Accurate Auto Body and send an appraiser over there and inspect the damage to decide whether it's accident related or not. If for some reason they decide that the damage isn't accident related, the rental car is still paid for through Erie, I just have to cover the repair cost (understandable, but highly unlikely since the car wasn't driving like this before the accident).

Also about a week ago I looked at the bill for repairs...over $10,000!!! Rob told me that total loss of a car is 75% of the car's worth, and he also said that they still could very well determine the vehicle a total loss, even after they fixed it cosmetically... Does this sound right?

I mean, the car looks brand new and this gear damage could deem my car a total loss??
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thats sounds perfectly correct. the insurance company can deem a car a total loss at any time, its not thier fault the shop can not write a complete estimate at the time of the auth of the estimate. If the supplement exceed the ACV less salvage (75%) then they can leagaly total the car nomatter if its repaired already. It is however unlikey that insurance companies do this just becasue they already have lets say 70% into the car and then they have to buy it out from you, then sell it in an acution... they would lose thier ass!
Now you have to understand where the company is coming from, if the insurance company just took the word of every person that said it was not like this before the loss they would not be in business anymore. They will look into it but dont be supprised if they charge you betterment for a new steering rack as they are putting you in better then pre loss condition by buying you a new or reman rack.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Racer

hurts to see a TL in that state, hope your neck has recovered well.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
injured... injured bad

Thats sounds perfectly correct. the insurance company can deem a car a total loss at any time, its not thier fault the shop can not write a complete estimate at the time of the auth of the estimate. If the supplement exceed the ACV less salvage (75%) then they can leagaly total the car nomatter if its repaired already. It is however unlikey that insurance companies do this just becasue they already have lets say 70% into the car and then they have to buy it out from you, then sell it in an acution... they would lose thier ass!
Now you have to understand where the company is coming from, if the insurance company just took the word of every person that said it was not like this before the loss they would not be in business anymore. They will look into it but dont be supprised if they charge you betterment for a new steering rack as they are putting you in better then pre loss condition by buying you a new or reman rack.
Good luck!
Very true! My word against theirs and that SUCKS! I wish I could travel back in time and say "SEEEE??????"

We'll see how it goes... I'll keep yall updated
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
injured... injured bad

Originally Posted by auto_freak
hurts to see a TL in that state, hope your neck has recovered well.
Thanks!

No neck issues, thank God!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah it sucks when you know how your car was before the accident, its just all the ass holes that have screwed it up for everyone else that the insurance companies have to be such "dicks".
Keep this posted and let me/us know what they come back with, maybe i can help you out!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM
injured... injured bad

I got my rental car tonight thanks to Enterprise and man, I have to say this car is wayyyy better than my Elantra. (insert Appalachian-American accent here) I got me a black Dodge Charger baby!!! Yeeeeehaaaawwww!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Cruisin'

Man, this whole ordeal is killing me to read. I am sorry for this. Good thing you have patience and are sticking to your guns. I am learning a lot about what and what not to do. I hope all gets well with you and thanks for all of the updates.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

A Dodge Charger, man its a toss up on which i would want! Hahaha. I hate renal cars, they are all base models. When i crashed my Jaguar they gave me a PT Cruiser... i was like WTF i think you should get a car most like the one you have in the shop! Ended up going in and trading it for a 07 RL with everything! You can take your rental in at any time and say that its not working for you and you dont feel safe driving it and they will give you another car to drive free of cost and your insurance company wont care. (as long as it is in the same class as the old one).
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM
injured... injured bad

Originally Posted by chris.gotfunk
Man, this whole ordeal is killing me to read. I am sorry for this. Good thing you have patience and are sticking to your guns. I am learning a lot about what and what not to do. I hope all gets well with you and thanks for all of the updates.
Thanks a lot! Yeah I hope people can use all this info/crap to their benefit. That's why I'm posting it! Yeah it definitely take a whole MESS of patience while I "hurry up and wait". I can't stand being without my car, but... I am grateful for having a rental because it definitely is a life saver. Let's hope for some good news within the next couple of days.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
injured... injured bad

Got the call back from the insurance company saying that the inspector came out and looked at the damage. He looked at both the worn motor mount and the steering rack and decided that the damage to these things is from wear...not from the collision. ...Sweet...

I think I'm gonna have to fight this, because its gonna be around $700 to fix just the steering rack.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can see the steering rack being from the loss but not the mounts. these cars know for wearing mounts fast so i wouldnt fight that one. i would work with them, say that you are willing to accept that the mounts are wear and tear but you refuse to accept that the rack is as you know it was not like that before the loss. Now even then the insurance company can say no and then you kinda shit out of luck. maybe at that point say you know that the rack was not new as the car has xx,xxx miles and you understand that and your willing to pay for install or for the part. thats what we end up doing sometimes just to make people happy but you have to remember your the Claimant, the company has no intrest in making sure your happy, your not paying the premuim, they dont owe you anything!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
injured... injured bad

I can see the steering rack being from the loss but not the mounts. these cars know for wearing mounts fast so i wouldnt fight that one. i would work with them, say that you are willing to accept that the mounts are wear and tear but you refuse to accept that the rack is as you know it was not like that before the loss. Now even then the insurance company can say no and then you kinda shit out of luck. maybe at that point say you know that the rack was not new as the car has xx,xxx miles and you understand that and your willing to pay for install or for the part. thats what we end up doing sometimes just to make people happy but you have to remember your the Claimant, the company has no intrest in making sure your happy, your not paying the premuim, they dont owe you anything!
Yeah I understand all that. I figured the motor mount was from wear but the steering rack makes more sense, since I was turning to avoid the collision at impact and Gateway told me that could definitely be a possibility.

I just don't know what happened to the car while it was in the shop to make it JERK to the left like it does. MAN, I wish I had proof of this because I really don't think I should pay for this! Crap!

Last edited by Steve5.9; 11-30-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah it sucks when you know it was not like that but you cant prove it. It never hurts to fight it. Do you know if the 700.00 to replace it is with a new OEM rack or Remanufactured? You could save quite a bit by getting one of those. I say keep fighting it, if they see you understand about the mounts maybe they will give a bit with the rack!
Just dont get mad or swear at the rep, they are only doing a job. that and when i get swore at i just laugh to myself and do nothing for the person!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
injured... injured bad

Yeah it sucks when you know it was not like that but you cant prove it. It never hurts to fight it. Do you know if the 700.00 to replace it is with a new OEM rack or Remanufactured?
New... I will definitely look into getting a re-manufactured one.

You could save quite a bit by getting one of those. I say keep fighting it, if they see you understand about the mounts maybe they will give a bit with the rack!
I hope so! I'll call in the morning and post an update.

Just dont get mad or swear at the rep, they are only doing a job. that and when i get swore at i just laugh to myself and do nothing for the person!
Hahaha! I'm too nice of a person to swear at people I don't know, especially older people! Haha!! I can't believe some people actually do this...poor guy's just trying to make an honest living.

I'm calling tomorrow to try and see if I can get some sort of understanding or compromise. We'll see though. Keep 'em crossed!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
injured... injured bad

So I called yesterday and the guy was really understanding.. but he was very firm with his previous comment. He said if I found any other evidence of something breaking rather than being worn down, give him a call and he'll send someone out here to inspect it. Now my car is at Gateway getting fixed and I'm driving my dad's old Chevy Silverado. What a piece! ..But I am glad I don't have to pay for a rental...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Race Director

So I called yesterday and the guy was really understanding.. but he was very firm with his previous comment. He said if I found any other evidence of something breaking rather than being worn down, give him a call and he'll send someone out here to inspect it. Now my car is at Gateway getting fixed and I'm driving my dad's old Chevy Silverado. What a piece! ..But I am glad I don't have to pay for a rental...
3 things:

1. I'm curious, how does this genius tell if a rack is damaged from wear vice the accident. I'd pin him down on how he can tell this.

2. The body shop guy was in the car with you on your test drive, correct? He can vouch that it didn't jerk during that test drive. Might help..

3. You might consider replacing the rack with a TL-S rack. A few folks have done this and really like it. It's plug and play...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
injured... injured bad

3 things:

1. I'm curious, how does this genius tell if a rack is damaged from wear vice the accident. I'd pin him down on how he can tell this.

2. The body shop guy was in the car with you on your test drive, correct? He can vouch that it didn't jerk during that test drive. Might help..

3. You might consider replacing the rack with a TL-S rack. A few folks have done this and really like it. It's plug and play...
1 and 2 are good points but I'm basically guilty until proven innocent on the steering problem

3 sounds like an awesome idea! I searched the forums for it and man, it sounds like an awesome mod! They only paid around $290-300 for this done...why the hell is mine quoted at $700?? I'm going to call Gateway tomorrow to see about this price difference and to see if they can put in a type-S rack.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Atta baby! Get that post count up!

Anyways, got the car over at Gateway in Franklin and they called me today (day 47 without my car) and told me that I have a worn front motor mount and also some rack and pinion damage (I turned the car hard right while slamming on my brakes at impact, that could explain that).

Ok, so I called Erie and told them everything Nick (manager at Gateway ) told me and then I asked if I could re-rent a car. I told Rob at Erie that the 3rd time I was told that the car was ready, I believed them and turned my car in. Well now that is still in the shop, they agreed to let me rent a car for free for the next 4 days. YES!

What they are going to do now is take the car BACK over to Accurate Auto Body and send an appraiser over there and inspect the damage to decide whether it's accident related or not. If for some reason they decide that the damage isn't accident related, the rental car is still paid for through Erie, I just have to cover the repair cost (understandable, but highly unlikely since the car wasn't driving like this before the accident).

Also about a week ago I looked at the bill for repairs...over $10,000!!! Rob told me that total loss of a car is 75% of the car's worth, and he also said that they still could very well determine the vehicle a total loss, even after they fixed it cosmetically... Does this sound right?

I mean, the car looks brand new and this gear damage could deem my car a total loss??
Steering racks can not get damaged from turning and slamming on brakes. I track my TL on sticky tires, I've slid it sideways probably a hundred times, I've jerked the wheel harder than you will ever do on the street. Racks get damaged from accidents period.

Don't let them get away with anything. Remind them how many days your car has been gone. Remind them you're making a payment on something you don't have. Push the envelope, tell them you want to be reimbursed for the month's payment. It sounds crazy and it is crazy but it will help soften them up. If you don't start putting the pressure on them and backing them up, they will continue to try and push you around.

Tell them you don't feel safe driving it with a damaged rack. It really is dangerous. Tell them the car is unstable and it's a safety hazard and let them know who's going to be responsible if it causes a wreck.

Mounts are pretty weak on these cars. There's a good chance they might've been broken already but a collision can break mounts too. They're designed to hold the engine and trans in place during normal motions. Getting hit can produce several times the stress on the mounts than any sort of hard driving can.

Don't begin to give in on these guys or you will regret it later on.

If in the end they screw you and truly screw you, there are all sorts of legal avenues to go down which I discovered in my last go around with the bodyshop.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 PM
injured... injured bad

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Steering racks can not get damaged from turning and slamming on brakes. I track my TL on sticky tires, I've slid it sideways probably a hundred times, I've jerked the wheel harder than you will ever do on the street. Racks get damaged from accidents period.

Don't let them get away with anything. Remind them how many days your car has been gone. Remind them you're making a payment on something you don't have. Push the envelope, tell them you want to be reimbursed for the month's payment. It sounds crazy and it is crazy but it will help soften them up. If you don't start putting the pressure on them and backing them up, they will continue to try and push you around.

Tell them you don't feel safe driving it with a damaged rack. It really is dangerous. Tell them the car is unstable and it's a safety hazard and let them know who's going to be responsible if it causes a wreck.

Mounts are pretty weak on these cars. There's a good chance they might've been broken already but a collision can break mounts too. They're designed to hold the engine and trans in place during normal motions. Getting hit can produce several times the stress on the mounts than any sort of hard driving can.

Don't begin to give in on these guys or you will regret it later on.

If in the end they screw you and truly screw you, there are all sorts of legal avenues to go down which I discovered in my last go around with the bodyshop.
Yeah you're right and I've tried calling them and telling them this...but the guy said he needs actual proof of something broken for them to pay for it. I've tried saying that there is a possibility that the accident caused this, but he said, "that's fine, but when the mechanic finds something wrong with it other than wear, call me and I'll send somebody over there to look at it. But as of right now I can't pay for it."

Like I said in my previous post, I'm guilty until proven innocent, and that sucks. I'm not making payments on the car, thank God, so I can't go down that route, but I have been 50+ days without my car.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
injured... injured bad

Got the car back with a type s steering rack in it. Man, it is pretty sweet. Driving around my dad's old, beat up Chevy made me fall back in love with thing pretty quick. And the car looks great! I'm going to wash it this weekend and upload some pics maybe around Sunday.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
About time! Glad everything worked out for you
Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
injured... injured bad

Originally Posted by Aman
About time! Glad everything worked out for you
Seriously!!! It took forever! Thanks

For those of you who don't know what to take from my experience, take this one piece of advice: DON'T WRECK YOUR CAR! But if you do... Get a piece of paper out a copy down the other guy's name, insurance company name, his insurance policy number (AT THE LEAST!!), and then maybe his address and license number...
Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sp Steve5.9: did you end up paying for the rack? if you did you might want to cut the old one open and look for a broken tooth, they dont break from just driving and you can show the insurance company that and make them pay you back for the rack.
Whats the difference between the Type-S rack and base? Also i feel your pain on driving crap, i am driving a 02 civic all winter and its been a month and i cant stand this thing! I cant wait for spring!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
Glad you got the car back

Now let's see some pictures!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 PM
injured... injured bad

Sp Steve5.9: did you end up paying for the rack? if you did you might want to cut the old one open and look for a broken tooth, they dont break from just driving and you can show the insurance company that and make them pay you back for the rack.
Whats the difference between the Type-S rack and base? Also i feel your pain on driving crap, i am driving a 02 civic all winter and its been a month and i cant stand this thing! I cant wait for spring!
Honestly I have no idea because at this point, I just wanted my car back. I just texted the shop manager and asked if his guys found anything wrong with the other rack... we'll see if he says anything but I doubt that they looked at it. I know for a fact they had to send the old one back in order to lower the price.

The type-S rack lowers the turning ratio (tighter steering). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Originally Posted by ArthurL
Glad you got the car back

Now let's see some pictures!
Ugh! Fine! ...maybe at least one photo until I get some better ones with a real camera this Sunday:

Sorry, I know...horrible lighting...even worse picture quality... but it was with my blackberry and it's all I got for now.

Sunday it's on!

Quick Reply: My TL got injured, injured bad... (with photos)