3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multi information display - any way to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Multi information display - any way to mod?

I wish there was a way to modify the Multi information display. After having the TL for less than two months, whoever designed it wan't thinking of the end user. What's with having to page through the titles and then press another button to see the info. Just scroll through the info, who cares what the title is?

Anyway to modify it?

Will
Old 05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
04 TL Black on Black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I was also wondering if you could get the radio information on that screen somehow. My moms mercedes does that and its such a nice feature...
Old 05-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro

The radio info is already on the center screen and personally I think looking over to something just below the windshield is a lot easier/better than having to look all the way at the bottom of the instrument cluster through the steering wheel while driving.

I do agree with fast4dr though.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I somewhat disagree. Having things grouped together makes navigation easier. Rather than going through a list of 20 or 30 options, you go through 2 or 3 stages of 4 or 5 options.

Other than having to press twice to see TPMS, I have no gripes with the MID.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by datmrman
I somewhat disagree. Having things grouped together makes navigation easier. Rather than going through a list of 20 or 30 options, you go through 2 or 3 stages of 4 or 5 options.

Other than having to press twice to see TPMS, I have no gripes with the MID.
I'd have to agree...I think its fine and well thought out the way it is
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I think it's generally fine. I agree with the comment that it's a bit annoying to have to hit "select" once you get to the trip computer, instead of having the trip computer display automatically when you scroll through, but that's a minor annoyance. Or what they could do is maintain the current setup for everything except the trip computer. I imagine most people are like me in that I use the trip computer fairly regularly, but I never use the keyless entry and other options—they're the "set and forget" kind of thing. So it serves no purpose to have to see the stuff for those other options every time you click through the MID, but the trip computer is useful enough that I could see setting it up a bit differently.

The one I find irritating is that when a service message has come up, and you then click it off, if you change the MID (say, to go to the trip computer), the service message comes up again and interrupts the usual cycle of options on the MID. I don't need to be nagged. Having the message come up ONCE when I turn on the car is enough for me.

It would be nice if it could be voice-controlled in the same manner as the Navi, but adding yet another layer of voice control would be complicated, and given that the HFL voice-recognition isn't as good as the Navi's, I'm inclined to shrug off the idea.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Racer

I think it's annoying that you can't see the info on there when a door or the trunk are open. You can't just open the door and turn the key one turn to check your milage, for example- you have to actually get in and close the door.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
I think it's annoying that you can't see the info on there when a door or the trunk are open. You can't just open the door and turn the key one turn to check your milage, for example- you have to actually get in and close the door.
Yep... My thoughts exactly.... I have often thought that while I was attempting to reset the mileage while the gas was pumping.... kind of a pain...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was more wondering if you could mod it to personal messages, swapping for newer one to get TPMS readings,...stuff like that. I think it is fine. Kinda wish it had more features if anything but then it would probably be more over done. I think this is where K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) kicked in for them.